Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whos going to Clap tonight? 10:51 - Jan 7 with 1378 viewsButty101

I personally wont be. Nice gesture first time round but got HIjacked by all and sundary.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Whos going to Clap tonight? on 11:07 - Jan 7 with 1363 viewskingslandstand1

Not here. It will again get politicised and it detracts from other front line workers such as teachers etc
Whos going to Clap tonight? on 11:29 - Jan 7 with 1329 viewsSalisburySaint

Whos going to Clap tonight? on 11:07 - Jan 7 by kingslandstand1

Not here. It will again get politicised and it detracts from other front line workers such as teachers etc

my daughter works at a nursery

They are required toy stay open which I'm ok with, but the workers there are currently not getting tested, will not get prioritised for vaccine and heard stories of some Nursery workers not being able to get their kids in school as they are not deemed to be essential workers, yet surely they are.

refuse collectors, social workers bus, train drivers, postal workers, delivery drivers, truck drivers etc. are all essential workers yet they and many others seem to be forgotten in the Clap for heroes
Whos going to Clap tonight? on 12:11 - Jan 7 with 1301 viewssolent_toffee

When it first happened abroad, was it Italy or Spain, it was spontaneous and was at a time when people had been at home 24 hours a day for weeks on end. It was incredibly emotional, even to this old cynic.

When we followed suit it felt supportive and was a genuine nod to those who were putting themselves at risk for the benefit of everyone.

Since then so many people have done what the bloody hell they liked that any clapping would feel hollow. The best way people can support key workers is by not being a tw4t and follow the guidelines.
Whos going to Clap tonight? on 12:11 - Jan 7 with 1301 viewssolent_toffee

When it first happened abroad, was it Italy or Spain, it was spontaneous and was at a time when people had been at home 24 hours a day for weeks on end. It was incredibly emotional, even to this old cynic.

When we followed suit it felt supportive and was a genuine nod to those who were putting themselves at risk for the benefit of everyone.

Since then so many people have done what the bloody hell they liked that any clapping would feel hollow. The best way people can support key workers is by not being a tool and follow the guidelines.
Who's going to clap tonight? on 12:13 - Jan 7 with 1295 viewsdirk_doone

We copied it from the Dutch anyway. I guess the Dutch woman who brought it to this country has a few more celebrities she wants to meet. She's already met Beckham, Boris and the Queen.

"Woman behind UK 'clap for carers' announces its return"

"To mixed reaction, Annemarie Plas says gesture honouring frontline workers will restart on Thursday."

[Post edited 7 Jan 2021 16:08]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Whos going to Clap tonight? on 12:21 - Jan 7 with 1268 viewsA1079

I concede I am going to sound a miserable git but I am tired of all this clapping for whatever reason people feel the need to clap for and then there are people that they are not being clapped feeling slighted in some way, then there is the taking the knee etc etc etc for what now seems to be part of the build up to any sporting event.

It is not that I do not care or recognise what people can or do do and I am sure many of us work as hard as we can to the best of our ability to either support ourselves, our families or the wider community. I suppose if people want to do it, that is fine, it is not harming anyone (though I have a different feeling about the continuance of taking the knee but that is another debate) but it is that peer and media pressure that if you don't then you must not care. It is like when I was growing up - if you didn't go to church then you must be a bad person. It is like the millions of people that work for various charities and just do it and get on with it without making a noise but if you don't support some media driven cause then you are somehow perceived as being on the wrong side of good.

Anyway, I got that off my chest. Not sure it adds anything to the debate but I feel better for saying it - for now.
Who's going to clap tonight? on 12:25 - Jan 7 with 1263 viewsdirk_doone

We certainly won't believe her the next time she's says she's going to end it. She's getting like Elton John and his endless farewell tours.

I expect my neighbour will be happy though to get another opportunity to play his trumpet in public. I guess there must also be a few people out there who'll have to listen to a neighbour's electric guitar.

Whos going to Clap tonight? on 13:07 - Jan 7 with 1201 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

No.

My wife is a teacher - I will just clap in her face indoors. In fact, right in her face so she asks me not to do it again.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Login to get fewer ads

Whos going to Clap tonight? on 13:35 - Jan 7 with 1174 viewskingslandstand1

Whos going to Clap tonight? on 11:29 - Jan 7 by SalisburySaint

my daughter works at a nursery

They are required toy stay open which I'm ok with, but the workers there are currently not getting tested, will not get prioritised for vaccine and heard stories of some Nursery workers not being able to get their kids in school as they are not deemed to be essential workers, yet surely they are.

refuse collectors, social workers bus, train drivers, postal workers, delivery drivers, truck drivers etc. are all essential workers yet they and many others seem to be forgotten in the Clap for heroes

That's exactly where I'm coming from. I'm not detracting from what the NHS do for obvious reasons, I couldn't do their job, but I know of someone working in a school that is "closed down" but as key worker kids etc are in the school is actually open, but there are more staff than kids there.

The HT is insisting that they all go in (it's an infant school) as her view is that well they're being paid so you must go in. Most of them are bored to tears as well as worried about their health. Why on earth cant' they do a one week on one week off, in effect self-isolating from each other cos if one or two actually contract or test positive they all have to then self isolate so the HT loses most of her staff anyway.

If they do this one on one off she would then be able to provide the cover required etc etc. She now has a not very happy bunch of staff

And as you say, they are not on the priority list for the jab either!
Whos going to Clap tonight? on 13:39 - Jan 7 with 1165 viewsChesham_Saint

Whos going to Clap tonight? on 12:11 - Jan 7 by solent_toffee

Since then so many people have done what the bloody hell they liked that any clapping would feel hollow. The best way people can support key workers is by not being a tool and follow the guidelines.

Spot on there Toffs. 50% of those clapping like Pavlov’s Dog last time high-tailed it to the beach or nearest protest rally without a care for the virus or health workers as soon as it became too much of an inconvenience for them.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Whos going to Clap tonight? on 14:53 - Jan 7 with 1113 viewsBerber

I was turned off when the head of the Fire Brigade union said that we can keep our clapping, they want more money.
Whos going to Clap tonight? on 15:27 - Jan 7 with 1087 viewsChesham_Saint

Whos going to Clap tonight? on 14:53 - Jan 7 by Berber

I was turned off when the head of the Fire Brigade union said that we can keep our clapping, they want more money.

They want more money for kit or for pay?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Whos going to Clap tonight? on 15:41 - Jan 7 with 1077 viewsNumber_58

I've missed the clap. I used to get my trainers on and run round the close at about two minutes to eight and milk the applause like Steve Ovett. I didn't like the bell thing last week as it meant I had to go round twice.
Whos going to Clap tonight? on 15:47 - Jan 7 with 1061 viewsSaintsforeverj

Not sure about the clap and not not sure about the fire service etc but I am certain that our NHS doctors and nurses are heroes. When most people have been working from home to keep safe, they have gone into work and risked their lives to look after Covid patients. Some are on their knees working 16 hours a day to save lives. They deserve more than a clap. They should be rewarded.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2021 15:49]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Whos going to Clap tonight? on 15:56 - Jan 7 with 1043 viewskingslandstand1

Whos going to Clap tonight? on 15:41 - Jan 7 by Number_58

I've missed the clap. I used to get my trainers on and run round the close at about two minutes to eight and milk the applause like Steve Ovett. I didn't like the bell thing last week as it meant I had to go round twice.

Whos going to Clap tonight? on 16:01 - Jan 7 with 1034 viewskingslandstand1

Whos going to Clap tonight? on 15:47 - Jan 7 by Saintsforeverj

Not sure about the clap and not not sure about the fire service etc but I am certain that our NHS doctors and nurses are heroes. When most people have been working from home to keep safe, they have gone into work and risked their lives to look after Covid patients. Some are on their knees working 16 hours a day to save lives. They deserve more than a clap. They should be rewarded.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2021 15:49]

You are right, they are all "heroes" but not thought of in that way and I think you'll find they actually don't want that clapping. They would much rather get on with their job and carry on doing what they do. That is their chosen vocation and why they do the job

But I think you will find as I have said below, the other key workers feel as if they are forgotten and not thought of as therefore doing a worthwhile job
Whos going to Clap tonight? on 16:03 - Jan 7 with 1031 viewskingslandstand1

POTD
Who's going to clap tonight? on 16:14 - Jan 7 with 1016 viewsButty101

Who's going to clap tonight? on 12:13 - Jan 7 by dirk_doone

We copied it from the Dutch anyway. I guess the Dutch woman who brought it to this country has a few more celebrities she wants to meet. She's already met Beckham, Boris and the Queen.

"Woman behind UK 'clap for carers' announces its return"

"To mixed reaction, Annemarie Plas says gesture honouring frontline workers will restart on Thursday."

When i initially saw this, i thought who F 8 ck is she to tell us we are now allowed to clap again.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Whos going to Clap tonight? on 16:16 - Jan 7 with 1015 viewsSaintsforeverj

Whos going to Clap tonight? on 16:01 - Jan 7 by kingslandstand1

You are right, they are all "heroes" but not thought of in that way and I think you'll find they actually don't want that clapping. They would much rather get on with their job and carry on doing what they do. That is their chosen vocation and why they do the job

But I think you will find as I have said below, the other key workers feel as if they are forgotten and not thought of as therefore doing a worthwhile job

Yeah I get that, but bin collectors, supermarket workers (as important as they are) are not in a room full of people with Covid. They can keep their distance etc. For a nurse with a family, to knowingly go into a room full of people with a highly contagious disease that kills, takes some courage. The NHS staff are at the core of this pandemic, are literally risking the lives of them and family, plus working in intolerable, stressful conditions. They are the soldiers of the world wars. I personally think they deserve a reward of some sort at the end of this. I agree a clap isn't much if a reward really.

Who's going to clap tonight? on 16:18 - Jan 7 with 1012 viewsdirk_doone

Whos going to Clap tonight? on 14:53 - Jan 7 by Berber

I think it's mainly back because Annemarie Plas is missing being in the limelight. I see she's getting her photo in the papers again and she'll probably get a few more TV appearances and meetings with celebrities. She'll milk it for all its worth and be well set up for a career in reality TV.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9118407/Clap-Carers-founder-calls-new-C
[Post edited 7 Jan 2021 16:21]

Whos going to Clap tonight? on 16:18 - Jan 7 with 1011 viewsSaintsforeverj

Totally agree. We also need to reward the brave and courageous NHS staff, who have and are preventing a catastrophe.

Whos going to Clap tonight? on 17:51 - Jan 7 with 918 viewsBerber

Whos going to Clap tonight? on 15:27 - Jan 7 by Chesham_Saint

They want more money for kit or for pay?

Wages
Who's going to clap tonight? on 21:16 - Jan 7 with 813 viewsdirk_doone

It looks like some people in the NHS have had enough of her already:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55579680
[Post edited 7 Jan 2021 21:18]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024