Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Womens Football Attendances 08:14 - Nov 15 with 3392 viewsSaintNick

This weekend is being hailed as a success for women's football with a big push from sky tv etc and televised games on a day when there was little other football shown live/

Several clubs had record attendances , but the truth is for all the media attention, they were little more than the usual League two or National conference turnouts.

Chelsea's 4-0 win over Manchester City was watched by 3,174 - the biggest attendance at the Academy Stadium so far this season - while Birmingham City also recorded their largest crowd this campaign with 1,386 at St Andrew's for the defeat by Villa.

There was a new record crowd registered for Spurs at The Hive as 2,896 saw them draw with league leaders Arsenal - live on BBC One - and Brighton had 3,566 fans at the Amex.

This was the big push weekend after a couple of years of the women's game being given equal billing in all the media especially Sky & the BBC, yet the crowds did not flock to watch.

Most people I speak to are supportive of womens football, but having it pushed down their throats on the front pages so to speak of the BBC & Sky is putting them off, it is given equal billing, yet it is not an equal product, it is being pushed for the sake of being pushed and if it is not careful it will die.

Possibly not a PC viewpoint, as i say I want to see it succeed, but I fear it wont

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Womens Football Attendances on 09:16 - Nov 15 with 1872 viewsSadoldgit

One persons “pushed down people’s throats” is another person’s “promoted”. I see nothing wrong with certain sections of the media promoting women’s football. Years ago it generated huge crowds. I don’t think it is likely to be as popular again but I don’t blame them for trying. If it gets more women and girls interested in the game it can’t be a bad thing.
Womens Football Attendances on 10:04 - Nov 15 with 1829 viewsSaintNick

Womens Football Attendances on 09:16 - Nov 15 by Sadoldgit

One persons “pushed down people’s throats” is another person’s “promoted”. I see nothing wrong with certain sections of the media promoting women’s football. Years ago it generated huge crowds. I don’t think it is likely to be as popular again but I don’t blame them for trying. If it gets more women and girls interested in the game it can’t be a bad thing.

Personally my issue is not promoting it, I can see the need for that, but the way it is promoted with no differentiation between the mens game and the womens game Im sick to death of opening a story on sky or the bbc websites to read about a star striker etc at Chelsea out for a month, only to find it's the women's team not the team we are playing in a week , if you get my drift.

By all means promote the women's game, but do so on the basis it now is, promote it as something that is growing and can become , not as something that is not yet.

I try to promote it on here by publicising the Saints womens team fixtures. I want to see the game flourish I think it is great, but it needs to start by building its own target market, not trying to convince those watching Premier League football that it is an equal product

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Womens Football Attendances on 10:14 - Nov 15 with 1817 viewspjt50

This is a bit of a chicken or egg situation. The appeal of women's football may be limited at the moment but you're only going to raise the standard and profile by giving it more exposure.

I watched Spurs v Arsenal at the w/e & thought it was a good game.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Womens Football Attendances on 10:21 - Nov 15 with 1811 viewsSalisburySaint

I feel the same Nick, the general standard of top level women's games is not very good, i went with my daughters a couple of years ago to watch England Women v Wales Women at St. Mary's and game was awful, seen better passing and finishing at park Sunday league games

What's really impressive at the moment is attendances at National Conference level, over 12k at Notts Co, over 5k Stockport despite game being televised, 5K at Chesterfield, and Wrexham getting 8K week in and out, Grimsby getting good crowds too 7k for recent home game v Notts CO. and taking around 1k to most away games.
Womens Football Attendances on 12:01 - Nov 15 with 1734 viewssolent_toffee

Someone on here put it far articulate than I could a few weeks ago but their gist was that it has taken then men’s game 125 years or so to be in the position it’s in today whilst there is a clamour to fast track the women’s game through the media and marketing so that it has almost instant success and not allow it to grow organically.

Ultimately there is an awful lot of hype that’s not reflected in the product.
Womens Football Attendances on 12:13 - Nov 15 with 1720 viewsbarry_sanchez

It'll only be popular or more so when women go and watch it over the mens game, will they? I doubt it.

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone
Poll: What is your favourite poll?

Womens Football Attendances on 12:14 - Nov 15 with 1724 viewsSadoldgit

Womens Football Attendances on 10:04 - Nov 15 by SaintNick

Personally my issue is not promoting it, I can see the need for that, but the way it is promoted with no differentiation between the mens game and the womens game Im sick to death of opening a story on sky or the bbc websites to read about a star striker etc at Chelsea out for a month, only to find it's the women's team not the team we are playing in a week , if you get my drift.

By all means promote the women's game, but do so on the basis it now is, promote it as something that is growing and can become , not as something that is not yet.

I try to promote it on here by publicising the Saints womens team fixtures. I want to see the game flourish I think it is great, but it needs to start by building its own target market, not trying to convince those watching Premier League football that it is an equal product

I take your point Nick but I am not sure that they are promoting it as an “equal” product? I see it as women’s tennis. You know you are not going to get something equal to the men’s game but it is still enjoyable on its own terms. Women’s football in this country is improving and becoming more popular. If the promotion speeds that along it can only be a good thing. I’ve got used to listening out for the qualification when presenters talk about football now because of the instant thought that they are referring to men’s football. Eventually it will find its own level and it won’t be an issue I suspect.
Womens Football Attendances on 12:29 - Nov 15 with 1703 viewsbarry_sanchez

Mens tennis keeps the womens game going as there is so much less demand to see the game even in the grand slams, outside of that the womens game is tiny.

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone

Login to get fewer ads

Womens Football Attendances on 13:05 - Nov 15 with 1655 viewskingslandstand1

Womens Football Attendances on 12:29 - Nov 15 by barry_sanchez

Mens tennis keeps the womens game going as there is so much less demand to see the game even in the grand slams, outside of that the womens game is tiny.

Yet they fought for, and got, equal winnings at the Slams! (well Wimbledon) which is ridiculous
Womens Football Attendances on 13:07 - Nov 15 with 1652 views1885_SFC

Womens Football Attendances on 10:21 - Nov 15 by SalisburySaint

I feel the same Nick, the general standard of top level women's games is not very good, i went with my daughters a couple of years ago to watch England Women v Wales Women at St. Mary's and game was awful, seen better passing and finishing at park Sunday league games

What's really impressive at the moment is attendances at National Conference level, over 12k at Notts Co, over 5k Stockport despite game being televised, 5K at Chesterfield, and Wrexham getting 8K week in and out, Grimsby getting good crowds too 7k for recent home game v Notts CO. and taking around 1k to most away games.

You can't beat grass roots football...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-59288252

Old School is Cool

Womens Football Attendances on 13:13 - Nov 15 with 1646 viewskingslandstand1

I've tried to watch it but just have to turn back as there just isn't the pull of the quality on show to keep me there
At the risk of upsetting the PC brigade, it is what it says on the tin, girly football with a few reasonable passes and goals from distance (20 yards or so) often helped by pi55 poor goalkeeping. Some accurate passing but minimal tackling
There was a twitter feed this morning re Saints women showing the "worldy" goal from distance but the keeper just didn't seem to do anything in an attempt to stop it
But each to there own
So, good points and bad points, but don't expect me to go and watch a game
Womens Football Attendances on 13:24 - Nov 15 with 1641 views1885_SFC

Womens Football Attendances on 13:13 - Nov 15 by kingslandstand1

I've tried to watch it but just have to turn back as there just isn't the pull of the quality on show to keep me there
At the risk of upsetting the PC brigade, it is what it says on the tin, girly football with a few reasonable passes and goals from distance (20 yards or so) often helped by pi55 poor goalkeeping. Some accurate passing but minimal tackling
There was a twitter feed this morning re Saints women showing the "worldy" goal from distance but the keeper just didn't seem to do anything in an attempt to stop it
But each to there own

Agree entirely... especially about the goalkeeping side of things. It's comical.

Old School is Cool

Womens Football Attendances on 13:43 - Nov 15 with 1606 viewsSalisburySaint

Womens Football Attendances on 13:05 - Nov 15 by kingslandstand1

Yet they fought for, and got, equal winnings at the Slams! (well Wimbledon) which is ridiculous

spot on Women only play maximum of 3 sets, Men Maximum of 5, on a hourly pay basis men alone should get more prize money
Womens Football Attendances on 13:46 - Nov 15 with 1598 viewssaintwizzler

Watching the goalkeepers is great. Second only to Djenepo beating a man three times, himself and then ballooning it into the crowd.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Womens Football Attendances on 13:59 - Nov 15 with 1566 views1885_SFC

Womens Football Attendances on 13:46 - Nov 15 by saintwizzler

Watching the goalkeepers is great. Second only to Djenepo beating a man three times, himself and then ballooning it into the crowd.

I know I'll get flamed... but I think it's because they don't want to break a fingernail or get dirt in their hair diving.

Old School is Cool

Womens Football Attendances on 14:01 - Nov 15 with 1563 viewsSadoldgit

Womens Football Attendances on 12:29 - Nov 15 by barry_sanchez

Absolutely, just look at the empty seats when the women play. And there was no interest at all when that you kid won the New York Open 🙄
Womens Football Attendances on 14:05 - Nov 15 with 1552 viewsbarry_sanchez

its easy to get tickets for womens tennis competitions, not so for mens, that tells you all you need to know.

Womens Football Attendances on 14:07 - Nov 15 with 1555 viewsSadoldgit

Womens Football Attendances on 13:13 - Nov 15 by kingslandstand1

But each to there own

I’m not sure what being PC has to do with it, it is a sport played by women which you can chose to watch or not. I watched a few games in the World Cup and whilst it wasn’t EPL standard I found the games enjoyable. I really don’t see what the problem is. If you aren’t interested in it ignore but I don’t see why those who play it and those who seek to promote it and improve it can’t get on with it without the hassle.
Womens Football Attendances on 14:15 - Nov 15 with 1543 viewsbarry_sanchez

Womens Football Attendances on 14:07 - Nov 15 by Sadoldgit

I’m not sure what being PC has to do with it, it is a sport played by women which you can chose to watch or not. I watched a few games in the World Cup and whilst it wasn’t EPL standard I found the games enjoyable. I really don’t see what the problem is. If you aren’t interested in it ignore but I don’t see why those who play it and those who seek to promote it and improve it can’t get on with it without the hassle.

I can agree with those sentiments, but I think people feel its being rammed down their throats, its not being allowed to grow organically but more so being shown left right and centre, women going to womens games would help but I suspect they like watching the premium product (if you can call it that?), agenda driven bollocks.

Womens Football Attendances on 15:12 - Nov 15 with 1494 viewskingslandstand1

Womens Football Attendances on 14:07 - Nov 15 by Sadoldgit

Who's giving them hassle? It is an opinion and that is all. As I said, I won't make a point of watching it as it just does not appeal to me as opposed to watching men's football

Re my PC comment, with all the cr@p going around nowadays about what you can and can't say, I was commenting that someone would probably be upset by the fact that I don't think it is equal to the man's game which to me it always has been (yes, women's football has been played for years but only to a certain standard) which is probably not deemed politically correct in these ridiculous times as I don't think they should be thought of as equal

Yes, by all means promote it (and good to see Saints Women doing well in whatever division they play in as I believe they are top?)
Womens Football Attendances on 15:13 - Nov 15 with 1493 viewskingslandstand1

Womens Football Attendances on 13:59 - Nov 15 by 1885_SFC

I know I'll get flamed... but I think it's because they don't want to break a fingernail or get dirt in their hair diving.

Not a very PC comment 1885!
Womens Football Attendances on 15:33 - Nov 15 with 1475 viewsdarthvader

Womens Football Attendances on 13:46 - Nov 15 by saintwizzler

And getting booked twice .

Ill only go to watch the girls play when the rules about swapping shirts on the field comes mandatory

keep the faith coyr

Womens Football Attendances on 15:45 - Nov 15 with 1462 viewssaints__fan__73

Tennis isn't the best example. While it's true the men's game does subsidise the women's, the gap between the two is nothing like in football.

Women's tennis gets huge crowds and the TV viewing figures for the Women's US Open final was higher than for the Men's both in the US and UK. Women's football is nowhere near this.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Womens Football Attendances on 16:24 - Nov 15 with 1436 viewsSaintsforeverj

Nick as I understand it, is saying that it's great for women to play football if they want to, and it's great for people to watch it, if they want to. It's great that it's promoted and good luck to them. But it's not the same as mens football and clearly isn't as popular, going by the attendances at the weekend. They shouldn't be saying Chelsea got beaten at home or Southampton lose their top striker to covid when they are talking about the women's team. There should be a section for womens game, not mixed in with the men's game. They should say Chelsea women, Southampton women etc. The fact that they don't say this, is where people rightly say, it's being rammed down peoples throats.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2021 16:25]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Womens Football Attendances on 16:28 - Nov 15 with 1420 viewssaint68

Womens Football Attendances on 10:04 - Nov 15 by SaintNick

I've said it before and I'll say it again..the standard of womans football is shyte...it doesn't deserve the coverage it gets and its not the next big thing that many broadcasters desire.

I expect the game you watched on Saturday afternoon Nick, was of a higher level.

Uk media is in full ticking the box mode currently..and many great shows have been reduced to tedium due to the current objectives.

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024