Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Centre back 20:23 - Jul 12 with 2094 viewssaint22

After the last few seasons sh1t show at the back I cannot believe we are going to head into another season without an experienced CB
I Mean it will be literally Boris Johnson levels of ignorance
Centre back on 20:47 - Jul 12 with 2055 viewsSaintNick

I agree with you, we seem to be almost refusing to get in some experience at the back out of spite

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Centre back on 20:50 - Jul 12 with 2046 viewsSaintsforeverj

Totally agree. I like the fact we give young players a chance and bring them through. But we can't have a whole team of youngsters. It won't work. We need some experience in defence or we will face the consequences. Same up front. We need an established striker, despite all the promising signings for the future.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Centre back on 22:34 - Jul 12 with 1902 viewsBerber

I don’t think experience is the issue. Bednarek (25 years), Stephens (28 years) each have well over 100 PL games under their belts. It is quality that has been lacking, not experience. But you are right, we have a massive weakness there.
Centre back on 22:41 - Jul 12 with 1904 viewsA1079

I have liked the look of some our signings but as things stand I still stick to my prediction of a season in which we will be battling at the wrong end of the table.

I agree, it is almost blind negligence to not improve the quality of the one area which has been our downfall for several seasons now - the defence - this should have been a priority and then an attack which was equally ineffective needs strengthening - it is difficult to see where our goals are going to come from - or certainly enough to counter a weak and leaky defence.
Centre back on 23:40 - Jul 12 with 1823 viewsRon11

And now there's talk about Kyle Walker Peters being linked with a move away, another boost for the defence.
Centre back on 07:35 - Jul 13 with 1706 views1teeminants

Centre back on 23:40 - Jul 12 by Ron11

And now there's talk about Kyle Walker Peters being linked with a move away, another boost for the defence.

I’m quite happy about the players weve so far signed but the two areas we are weak in ie scoring goals and conceding still doesn’t look great as it stands. I still reckon we need two strikers maybe loan out Armstrong and another good central defender. We need to sell or loan out One of our other central defenders .

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Centre back on 09:16 - Jul 13 with 1615 viewsPatfromPoole

Centre back on 07:35 - Jul 13 by 1teeminants

I’m quite happy about the players weve so far signed but the two areas we are weak in ie scoring goals and conceding still doesn’t look great as it stands. I still reckon we need two strikers maybe loan out Armstrong and another good central defender. We need to sell or loan out One of our other central defenders .

I thought Lyanco was offski?

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Centre back on 09:17 - Jul 13 with 1614 viewsPatfromPoole

Centre back on 09:16 - Jul 13 by PatfromPoole

I thought Lyanco was offski?

Sorry, I meant to say “hoped”…..

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Centre back on 09:18 - Jul 13 with 1606 viewsSaintNick

Centre back on 09:17 - Jul 13 by PatfromPoole

Sorry, I meant to say “hoped”…..

You thought that Lyanco was hoped ?

That doesn't make sense

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Centre back on 09:30 - Jul 13 with 1573 viewsSonicBoom

I have to say I'm concerned right now - but I am also aware that the window isn't closed. There is no point panicking that we haven't bought certain players when the window is still open. We just haven't bought them yet.

I'm not over the moon with our signing so far as they are all a gamble. Lavia was 14 million for a player that has never played a premier league game. Think about that. He could be brilliant but who knows. The rest are all inexperienced - certainly in premier league terms - but everyone is happy? Our recent record of these type of signings isn't great.
Like others have said I think we need a solid centre back. Bednarek is not brilliant but he is still probably our most reliable defender and we are still talking about letting him go. So I'm hoping we have a plan.
Likewise we desperately need a goal scorer. We don't have anyone who is primarily a finisher and if we don't score goals then we will struggle. If we can score then that takes the pressure of having to keep clean sheets. Like I said though, the club may well be working on these things so let's see what the rest of the window brings.
Centre back on 09:51 - Jul 13 with 1544 views1teeminants

Centre back on 09:30 - Jul 13 by SonicBoom

I have to say I'm concerned right now - but I am also aware that the window isn't closed. There is no point panicking that we haven't bought certain players when the window is still open. We just haven't bought them yet.

I'm not over the moon with our signing so far as they are all a gamble. Lavia was 14 million for a player that has never played a premier league game. Think about that. He could be brilliant but who knows. The rest are all inexperienced - certainly in premier league terms - but everyone is happy? Our recent record of these type of signings isn't great.
Like others have said I think we need a solid centre back. Bednarek is not brilliant but he is still probably our most reliable defender and we are still talking about letting him go. So I'm hoping we have a plan.
Likewise we desperately need a goal scorer. We don't have anyone who is primarily a finisher and if we don't score goals then we will struggle. If we can score then that takes the pressure of having to keep clean sheets. Like I said though, the club may well be working on these things so let's see what the rest of the window brings.

I’m sure they are working on defence and attack. They need to sell / loan out one or even two of Stephens, Bednarek LYanco ,Valery. Valery to be fair did a good job at centre back when he was called upon. As many have said we need a good experienced centre back with quality, won’t be cheap though.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Centre back on 12:37 - Jul 13 with 1397 viewsBerber

Centre back on 09:51 - Jul 13 by 1teeminants

I’m sure they are working on defence and attack. They need to sell / loan out one or even two of Stephens, Bednarek LYanco ,Valery. Valery to be fair did a good job at centre back when he was called upon. As many have said we need a good experienced centre back with quality, won’t be cheap though.

Valery has had some good games at FB too. The trouble is that he is likely to lose concentration or make silly decisions at crucial moments, and that happens whatever position he plays.
Centre back on 16:16 - Jul 13 with 1307 viewsRon11

Centre back on 12:37 - Jul 13 by Berber

Valery has had some good games at FB too. The trouble is that he is likely to lose concentration or make silly decisions at crucial moments, and that happens whatever position he plays.

That sounds like most of the defence, not just him.
Centre back on 11:25 - Jul 15 with 1147 viewssledger

if we are relying on valery as a centre back we really are in the cr*pper
Centre back on 15:14 - Jul 15 with 1066 viewsPoirot

When you look at how many goals have been conceded over the last three seasons, i would expect some serious attention to the backline. The main problem there has been a lack of coaching and a busted flush of 'wingbacks' exposing the defence and amateur marking of players.

We have a new goalkeeper and CB however theyre raw and 20yrs old and will needed to be used correctly to stop burnout like we had with Tino and Broja.
Centre back on 15:46 - Jul 15 with 1019 viewsBerber

Centre back on 15:14 - Jul 15 by Poirot

When you look at how many goals have been conceded over the last three seasons, i would expect some serious attention to the backline. The main problem there has been a lack of coaching and a busted flush of 'wingbacks' exposing the defence and amateur marking of players.

We have a new goalkeeper and CB however theyre raw and 20yrs old and will needed to be used correctly to stop burnout like we had with Tino and Broja.

If we want the wing backs to be as active as we like, then we have to have a plan to cover the gaps they leave. Clearly our CBS have not been able to do that adequately. OR and JWP generally do not do a lot in this regard, though JWP has made some excellent last ditch interventions on occasion. The wingers generally have not been very good at this. The exception being the times, especially earlier in the season when Djennepo and Perrauld were paired and doing a great defensive job.
Centre back on 15:51 - Jul 15 with 1017 viewsdirk_doone

At least we've got the experienced Alex McCarthy in goal: mostly bad experience but experience nonetheless.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Centre back on 23:00 - Jul 15 with 884 viewssaintwizzler

Simple things like marking players in the box instead of ball watching would help.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Centre back on 06:35 - Jul 16 with 832 viewssledger

weve never replaced fonte or organised and cajoled others to be better defenders,present lot seem so quiet and mccarthy appears to say nothing
Centre back on 08:10 - Jul 16 with 807 viewsHeisenberg

Centre back on 15:51 - Jul 15 by dirk_doone

At least we've got the experienced Alex McCarthy in goal: mostly bad experience but experience nonetheless.

Totally. McCarthy is the worst goalkeeper in the league. We need an experienced centre half to direct the kids and shout at the keeper every time he screws up. That and a striker but I fear we won’t get either as the policy seems to be to pick up kids, improve them and then sell them on. A risky strategy.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024