Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Playing out from the back - Disaster? 21:41 - Jul 25 with 4236 viewsSouthamptonfan

On radio Solent, they are saying it was suicidal. Can we get better at it or will it be a disaster? I'm concerned it will cost us this season.

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 21:49 - Jul 25 with 3436 viewsKent_Oscillator

It is a nightmare and is going to cost us dearly. What more, with this strategy any good work the players do in trying the score goals will be undone by pis5ing around at the back which is going to seriously effect morale....
Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 21:52 - Jul 25 with 3426 viewsdirk_doone

Our goalkeepers will cost us this season.

It's suicidal to blunder into another season with McCarthy and Bazunu as our only choices in goal.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 21:54 - Jul 25 with 3408 viewsRon11

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 21:49 - Jul 25 by Kent_Oscillator

It is a nightmare and is going to cost us dearly. What more, with this strategy any good work the players do in trying the score goals will be undone by pis5ing around at the back which is going to seriously effect morale....

We can all see this.
When ARE they going to realise it too?
Fu cking madness
Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 21:55 - Jul 25 with 3405 viewsSouthamptonfan

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 21:49 - Jul 25 by Kent_Oscillator

It worries me that we are so focussed on the style of play rather than simply focussing on winning the game. Every game is different. Just f@cking focus on winning the game, whether that's keep ball or long ball. For some games, it's not appropriate to pass it around the back, like if the opposition have a lot of pace and pressing players. If they are pressing us, just get the ball up field. I hate these experiments. Football never used to be this complicated. I do fear it could all go t!ts up,.with players making mistakes allover the place.
[Post edited 25 Jul 2023 21:59]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 22:07 - Jul 25 with 3349 viewsPatfromPoole

It’s not just the hari kari with the passing triangles in our own box.

I also do not like at all the way we defend so narrowly.

We will get pulled all over the place by most teams, with crosses coming in aplenty from the oppo, due to our FB’s getting exposed.

With CB’s too weak to defend the crosses.

I can see how Swansea conceded 64 goals last season. Am only surprised it wasn’t more.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 22:09 - Jul 25 with 3330 viewsIfonly

Perhaps the biggest part of this problem is that Saints have made such a big deal about this style of play that it's now impossible to change or compromise without looking stupid. And it's not just the manager, it's the DoF and probably other board members too. They're all in it together.

They said that playing this way would involve making mistakes, so to now say "actually these mistakes are too costly, we need to change plan" just makes them look like idiots. So, they won't do it. That means we're stuck with this style until or unless we look like being relegated from the Championship. That's the only thing I can see changing their minds. We can only hope that RM finds a way of making this work with players who aren't very good at it.
Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 22:25 - Jul 25 with 3266 viewsSaintNick

I have never seen such a negative post as this one, I take it none of those there actually saw the game and no one has taken into account that this was very much a changed side, from what I heard, we started badly, got better and could have won the game against a Premier League side who put out a strong side.

The game at Reading showed that going forward we vary things, the issue is that at times we play the ball around and have players on the pitch that are not comfortable with it, but when we have sold a player or two we will hopefully get in central defenders who are good on the ball and can play the way that the manager wants

Incidentally the a manager who has a playing style and is having to implement it in difficult circumstances.

I appreciate that everyone is entitled to an opinion, but im sick to death of the negativity that surrounds this club, the way that some supporters decide after only a few games that a certain player or system isnt going to work.

Perhaps Russell martin wont get instant results, but he needs to be given a chance to show he can revamp this squad and turn it around after the debacle that was the second part of the season after the World Cup.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 22:34 - Jul 25 with 3227 viewsdirk_doone

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 22:25 - Jul 25 by SaintNick

I have never seen such a negative post as this one, I take it none of those there actually saw the game and no one has taken into account that this was very much a changed side, from what I heard, we started badly, got better and could have won the game against a Premier League side who put out a strong side.

The game at Reading showed that going forward we vary things, the issue is that at times we play the ball around and have players on the pitch that are not comfortable with it, but when we have sold a player or two we will hopefully get in central defenders who are good on the ball and can play the way that the manager wants

Incidentally the a manager who has a playing style and is having to implement it in difficult circumstances.

I appreciate that everyone is entitled to an opinion, but im sick to death of the negativity that surrounds this club, the way that some supporters decide after only a few games that a certain player or system isnt going to work.

Perhaps Russell martin wont get instant results, but he needs to be given a chance to show he can revamp this squad and turn it around after the debacle that was the second part of the season after the World Cup.

What the pre-season games have also shown us is that we are continuing to let in at least 2 goals in every game,

As we found out last season, with the same error-prone goalkeepers, you don't win many games like that.

What's more frustrating is that you can see we have the outfield players to mount a promotion challenge but unfortunately not the goalkeepers. Unless we address this problem fast, it's going to be very much a case of fiddling while Rome burns.
[Post edited 25 Jul 2023 22:37]

Login to get fewer ads

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 22:37 - Jul 25 with 3219 viewsPatfromPoole

I watched the game on my IPTV.

There was some absolute hari kari at the back with the score at 1-2 tonight.

We will lose to poor teams this season just by chucking goals away in that fashion.

This was another vanity appointment by Ankersen, Nick. Nothing more than that.

I am convinced Russell Martin or Ankersen will be gone by Christmas. Or both.

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 22:37 - Jul 25 with 3219 viewsSaintNick

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 22:34 - Jul 25 by dirk_doone

What the pre-season games have also shown us is that we are continuing to let in at least 2 goals in every game,

As we found out last season, with the same error-prone goalkeepers, you don't win many games like that.

What's more frustrating is that you can see we have the outfield players to mount a promotion challenge but unfortunately not the goalkeepers. Unless we address this problem fast, it's going to be very much a case of fiddling while Rome burns.
[Post edited 25 Jul 2023 22:37]

Nothing to do with a central defence who cant mark and lack a bit of pace then.

All I am saying is give him a chance to put it right, he has to sell before he can replace, not his fault, not the club's fault but the situation we are in

This post has been edited by an administrator

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 22:43 - Jul 25 with 3184 viewsgrumpy

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 22:37 - Jul 25 by SaintNick

All I am saying is give him a chance to put it right, he has to sell before he can replace, not his fault, not the club's fault but the situation we are in

A good goalkeeper organises his defence in front of him, wasn’t he captain tonight. The goalkeeper position is vital and we haven’t addressed it.
Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 22:47 - Jul 25 with 3163 viewscocklebreath

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 22:37 - Jul 25 by PatfromPoole

I watched the game on my IPTV.

There was some absolute hari kari at the back with the score at 1-2 tonight.

We will lose to poor teams this season just by chucking goals away in that fashion.

This was another vanity appointment by Ankersen, Nick. Nothing more than that.

I am convinced Russell Martin or Ankersen will be gone by Christmas. Or both.

Funny how people see things differently, I thought we looked great going forward 2nd half, we obviously need anew keeper and probably a strong centre back.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 23:02 - Jul 25 with 3128 viewsButty101

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 22:37 - Jul 25 by SaintNick

When this club had moderate success, Nick you put the boot in at every opertunity. Yet now we are a complete shambles you come across as a happy clapper.

We didn’t have the players last season for boring tippy tappy football and still don’t. The problems we had last season are there for all to see.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 23:04 - Jul 25 with 3125 viewsPatfromPoole

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 22:47 - Jul 25 by cocklebreath

Funny how people see things differently, I thought we looked great going forward 2nd half, we obviously need anew keeper and probably a strong centre back.

We did look good going forward.

But that was completely undone by very poor defending; not just from the goals conceded, but also the clear openings we gave Boscombe without them having to work hard to create them.

We were completely exposed out wide time and time again.

Dean Hammond picked up on it in the commentary. This is not just me being negative.

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 23:04 - Jul 25 with 3125 viewsdirk_doone

Saints B team lost 5-0 to Weymouth tonight. I don't know if they were also embracing the new style of play.

https://twitter.com/theterras
[Post edited 25 Jul 2023 23:06]

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 23:51 - Jul 25 with 3055 viewsRon11

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 22:43 - Jul 25 by grumpy

A good goalkeeper organises his defence in front of him, wasn’t he captain tonight. The goalkeeper position is vital and we haven’t addressed it.

No, they let Caballerro go instead
Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 05:02 - Jul 26 with 2966 views1teeminants

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 23:04 - Jul 25 by PatfromPoole

We did look good going forward.

But that was completely undone by very poor defending; not just from the goals conceded, but also the clear openings we gave Boscombe without them having to work hard to create them.

We were completely exposed out wide time and time again.

Dean Hammond picked up on it in the commentary. This is not just me being negative.

As I said before McCarthy has been making mistakes for a few seasons now and still continues to do so even with a new manager in charge. It’s just incredible incompetent and embarrassing that those in charge continually pick him. Sort the keeper and central defence out in this window before it’s too late. I think we’ll be fine and have a good side once those positions are sorted.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 07:10 - Jul 26 with 2871 viewsKent_Oscillator

I was pessimistic at first but began to see positives as the game went on, however the constant, incomprehensible concern was, as Swansea fans had warned, this bizarre tactic of pis5ing around at the back. It directly lead to one goal and was a miracle they didnt punish us just after the re-start. If this isnt ringing alarm bells then i dont know what.....
What does piss me off is the constant battering of McCarthy. He made quite a few very good saves last night, but only had to because of this system.
Re-think this part of our strategy and i think we may stand a chance this season...
Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 07:38 - Jul 26 with 2837 viewssaint22

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 05:02 - Jul 26 by 1teeminants

As I said before McCarthy has been making mistakes for a few seasons now and still continues to do so even with a new manager in charge. It’s just incredible incompetent and embarrassing that those in charge continually pick him. Sort the keeper and central defence out in this window before it’s too late. I think we’ll be fine and have a good side once those positions are sorted.

Yet again we need a keeper and centre backs and yet again it doesn’t look like we will get them in before the season starts
We just never ever learn
Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 07:47 - Jul 26 with 2829 viewssaintmark1976

I don’t very often agree with Nick and find that most of his support for near enough every decision the Club’s owners and management ever make sometimes borders on the infantile. However, on this occasion he is 100% correct.

We haven’t yet played a game in the Championship and already some fans are panicking and swamped with negativity. At least give the new manager and the team that he puts out for proper competitive football a chance. it really is the least that he and they deserve.

Six games in with few points on the board will be the time for criticism, not now.
Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 07:53 - Jul 26 with 2818 viewsPatfromPoole

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 07:47 - Jul 26 by saintmark1976

I don’t very often agree with Nick and find that most of his support for near enough every decision the Club’s owners and management ever make sometimes borders on the infantile. However, on this occasion he is 100% correct.

We haven’t yet played a game in the Championship and already some fans are panicking and swamped with negativity. At least give the new manager and the team that he puts out for proper competitive football a chance. it really is the least that he and they deserve.

Six games in with few points on the board will be the time for criticism, not now.

Ordinarily I would agree.

However I don’t think (and he might admit this himself) Nick is very knowledgeable about Championship football. He somewhat dismissively says that the standard is significantly inferior to the Prem.

I would strongly disagree.

All 3 promoted clubs stayed up last season, and they did so comfortably.

We are in for a big shock if we have the expectation and attitude that we will win most games, simply because a large proportion of our players have played in the Prem.

There is an inevitability that the first 2 months of the season are going to be very tough for us. The club does not have a winning mentality, we are weak in key positions of the pitch, and we have a manager with a track record of finishing mid table and conceding lots of goals.

Meanwhile Sport Republic focus their attention on buying a club in France.

A phrase about Rome burning springs to mind.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2023 7:53]

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 09:15 - Jul 26 with 2711 viewsIfonly

There seems to be a lot of confusion here about what supporting the club means. Criticising the way we keep gifting goals to the opposition does not mean you do not support the club.

This tactic is not working, certainly not yet. Does anyone disagree with that? Pointing that out is not a crime. Pointing out what needs to change is not supporting the opposition. Personally I found it annoying last season when, as happened a lot, I've just watched an abysmal Saints performance and then I read a happy clappy report here that says everything will be fine and we'll end up mid-table. How did that work out?

My say is that what is happening on the pitch at the moment is exactly the same as last season under Selles. We don't have the players to execute this style of play. Something needs to change. RM may be able to do that. He's hardly had any time yet. But if he has some magic then he'd better start applying it soon because he has his work cut out, with the real games just about to start.
Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 09:19 - Jul 26 with 2703 viewsPatfromPoole

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 09:15 - Jul 26 by Ifonly

There seems to be a lot of confusion here about what supporting the club means. Criticising the way we keep gifting goals to the opposition does not mean you do not support the club.

This tactic is not working, certainly not yet. Does anyone disagree with that? Pointing that out is not a crime. Pointing out what needs to change is not supporting the opposition. Personally I found it annoying last season when, as happened a lot, I've just watched an abysmal Saints performance and then I read a happy clappy report here that says everything will be fine and we'll end up mid-table. How did that work out?

My say is that what is happening on the pitch at the moment is exactly the same as last season under Selles. We don't have the players to execute this style of play. Something needs to change. RM may be able to do that. He's hardly had any time yet. But if he has some magic then he'd better start applying it soon because he has his work cut out, with the real games just about to start.

+1.

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 09:22 - Jul 26 with 2702 views1885_SFC

Get rid of both our keepers this season, pretty sharpish, and I think we'll do okay.

Old School is Cool

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 12:49 - Jul 26 with 2555 viewssaint901

It's a tricky one.

On the positive side, playing out from the back keeps possession of the ball; draws the opposition forward creating space; promotes trust in your team mates; creates a two pace game, slow at the back and quicker in the last third.

Given that our new manager is a "possession" tactician, I can see whey he likes it.

On the negative side, one mistake is probably a chance for the opposition to score; making errors (which lead to a goal against) destroys confidence; a switched on opposition will move forward as a unit and not allow space in midfield; the ball playing skills of your defensive unit need to be good and bluntly, none of our defensive unit last season showed that they had any such skill levels. Perhaps worst of all it makes fans nervous and that can translate onto the pitch.

I also wonder if it's a tactic for the Champ. In the PL, most teams played a possession game when they had the ball and a positional game without it. The ability of PL players to take on the coaching required and the mental agility to use it in a game, meant that this system worked well enough for most of the time to become the tactic of choice.

My opinion is that the Champ is much more direct and the tactic for the more successful clubs was a no nonsense defense and get the ball forward quickly to those with pace. Then get the ball into the box as often as possible because if your percentage of attempts on target from inside the box is low then getting the ball in there more often is better. Passing around at the back is not conducive to get it forward quickly.

If that is the case, then we need finishers. No point in playing around and creating some space in their box if there is nobody to tap it home. Do we have those? I confess that I don't see anybody who can do that.

If we don't then why risk a tactic that will offer the opposition a chance perhaps once a game?

Why not play it longer from the back into what my old coach called a "basket" of players waiting to pick up the second ball?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024