Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
1st May 11:09 - May 1 with 1316 viewsSouthSeaSaint

Who was there 48 years ago on that brilliant sunny day when we sang ...'Docherty shut your mouth as the Cup is coming South...la la la la la la la la...?
1st May on 11:51 - May 1 with 1273 viewssaintmark1976

Yes, I was there to see us win our only major trophy since 1885.

I’ll never forget returning down the M3 with every bridge a sea of red and white with neutral fans applauding that we had beaten Manchester Utd, who were despised equally as much then as they are now.

I will say however that post match Tommy Doc was very gracious in defeat.
1st May on 12:10 - May 1 with 1262 viewsarfurdent

I was there for a great day and a heart warming drive back down the M3 with all bridges full of fans
[Post edited 1 May 16:41]

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

1st May on 13:54 - May 1 with 1159 viewsgrumpy

1st May on 12:10 - May 1 by arfurdent

I was there for a great day and a heart warming drive back down the M3 with all bridges full of fans
[Post edited 1 May 16:41]

What a day that was.
1st May on 14:13 - May 1 with 1152 views1teeminants

Yep I was there with a halo cut out from the sun on my head , a silk scarf round my wrist, baggy trousers with pockets at the sides and Dr Marten boots ffs .

Great day.

When Stokes scored I wept ffs . A very emotional day .

[Post edited 1 May 14:14]

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

1st May on 15:20 - May 1 with 1078 viewsSouthSeaSaint

Couple of other things I can remember, walking back to where our car was parked (which you couldnt do nowadays) and finding someone waiting for his mates to return to the adjacent car. Got talking to the lad and found out he had sat next to me in the 3rd Rd Replay at Villa Park!!
When the final whistle went an older chap in front of me raised his arms aloft and said..
'Thank you Lord, I never thought this would happen, you can take me now'...
1st May on 15:30 - May 1 with 1065 views1teeminants

1st May on 15:20 - May 1 by SouthSeaSaint

Couple of other things I can remember, walking back to where our car was parked (which you couldnt do nowadays) and finding someone waiting for his mates to return to the adjacent car. Got talking to the lad and found out he had sat next to me in the 3rd Rd Replay at Villa Park!!
When the final whistle went an older chap in front of me raised his arms aloft and said..
'Thank you Lord, I never thought this would happen, you can take me now'...

I remember United fans attacking saints fans before the game and nicking scarves they, had a bad reputation in those days

I remember having a beer in the winning post on the way up. My first ever pint as a 15 year old .

All the banners and scarves hanging from the motorway bridges on our return .

I went to a party that night when I got home and I remember I couldn’t wait to get back for Match of the day just to take it all in again.

1st May on 15:53 - May 1 with 1037 viewskingslandstand1

I remember being in town that evening which was absolutely buzzing, and then outside the Civic Centre on the Sunday

There was a photo on the wall in Peter Rodrigues pub in Eling (can't remember the name) a few years after (that seemed to be all ex players could do then) with Laurie and the boys on the pitch after the final whistle with the cup, and Docherty walking past in the background with that fierce Scottish snarling growl looking across at them. Seem to recall a painting there with the team as well
1st May on 15:54 - May 1 with 1036 viewskingslandstand1

1st May on 14:13 - May 1 by 1teeminants

Yep I was there with a halo cut out from the sun on my head , a silk scarf round my wrist, baggy trousers with pockets at the sides and Dr Marten boots ffs .

Great day.

When Stokes scored I wept ffs . A very emotional day .

[Post edited 1 May 14:14]

Hope that wasn't a tartan BCR scarf
Login to get fewer ads

1st May on 15:59 - May 1 with 1022 viewsChesham_Saint

1st May on 15:30 - May 1 by 1teeminants

I remember United fans attacking saints fans before the game and nicking scarves they, had a bad reputation in those days

I remember having a beer in the winning post on the way up. My first ever pint as a 15 year old .

I went to a party that night when I got home and I remember I couldn’t wait to get back for Match of the day just to take it all in again.

United fans? One hell of a punch up in the car park afterwards and they got a bit of a surprise….

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

1st May on 16:15 - May 1 with 1012 viewsSalisburySaint

1st May on 15:30 - May 1 by 1teeminants

I was at Wembley, and United fans were not only trying to nick scarves, but loads were also after match tickets, as a 17yr old was quite scary outside the ground waiting for turnstiles to open, and was pretty dodgy getting back to the car afterwards.

The day itself one of the best of my life, got driven up with others from the village I lived in.

On way back in the words of Del Boy, we lived it up and had a steak dinner, from which I managed to get food poisoning, so missed the team parading the cup on the Sunday, instead watching live on Southern Tv I think.

However I was well enough to go the memorable Mike Channon testimonial on the Monday, where I got one of the last places in the ground under the East Stand before the gates closed.
1st May on 16:24 - May 1 with 990 views1teeminants

1st May on 15:54 - May 1 by kingslandstand1

Hope that wasn't a tartan BCR scarf

I once got chased by an angry BCR mob outside the polygon hotel in Soton, there were thousands of them outside cos the band were staying there and they didn’t like me taking the mick

1st May on 16:28 - May 1 with 980 views1885_SFC

1st May on 15:59 - May 1 by Chesham_Saint

United fans? One hell of a punch up in the car park afterwards and they got a bit of a surprise….

I remember the following season at The Dell when United came down for an FA cup game. There were so many ticketless United fans as well as shit loads inside the ground. I was stood in the Milton Road chocolate boxes & you could see the road outside through the holes where bricks were missing in the wall pattern. There were some ugly scenes/mass punch ups outside that's for sure. I was glad to be inside the ground! United certainly had some wrong'uns back then.

Old School is Cool

1st May on 16:38 - May 1 with 972 viewsInTimeAddedOn

As already stated, the United fans were not the nicest of people back in 76, saw one get his comeuppance after the game, he was being chased across the car park by the police and to increase his chances of getting away he started to run across the roofs of parked cars, all went well until he went through the roof of a Triumph Stag convertible and broke his leg! Carted off screaming in agony by the police.

Also remember the trip back down the M3 with those bridges packed with fans and locals who just came out to applaud. Every supporter’s car had silk scarves or bar scarves out of at least two windows. Never felt that sense of camaraderie you get inside a ground on a motorway before or since.

Best banner: Yellow & blue verses Manchester WHO??

Longest few minutes of my life between Stokesey’s goal and the final whistle!

‘Colemanballs’ commentary moment (from the man himself) picked up on years after the event from watching a VHS tape of the game: as the final whistle blew David Coleman said as the camera zoomed in on our keeper, “Ian Turner, one of eleven children who started the game nervously, has ended up a winner” So,Hansen, you never win anything with kids, eh?? 😀
Good old Coleman, bless him.

Then Mick Channon’s testimonial on the Monday night, that was something else! Never seen so many people crammed into The Dell, watched it all from the front row of one of the Milton Road chocolate boxes. A great evening to follow a great day.

48 years ago to the minute, we’d not long scored the winner. Happy memories 😀⚽️😀
[Post edited 2 May 0:49]
1st May on 17:51 - May 1 with 921 views1teeminants

1st May on 16:28 - May 1 by 1885_SFC

I remember the following season at The Dell when United came down for an FA cup game. There were so many ticketless United fans as well as shit loads inside the ground. I was stood in the Milton Road chocolate boxes & you could see the road outside through the holes where bricks were missing in the wall pattern. There were some ugly scenes/mass punch ups outside that's for sure. I was glad to be inside the ground! United certainly had some wrong'uns back then.

My brother got attacked outside the Milton road end by hordes of United fans before the game.

His ticket fell on the floor and the coppers arrested a few United and he managed to get his ticket back but he spent the night watching the game with a fat lip .

1st May on 17:56 - May 1 with 901 views1885_SFC

1st May on 17:51 - May 1 by 1teeminants

My brother got attacked outside the Milton road end by hordes of United fans before the game.

His ticket fell on the floor and the coppers arrested a few United and he managed to get his ticket back but he spent the night watching the game with a fat lip .

Yeah, it sure looked nasty from where I was stood. I think it was payback for beating them at Wembley the season before! W@nkers.

Old School is Cool

1st May on 20:25 - May 1 with 821 viewskingslandstand1

1st May on 17:56 - May 1 by 1885_SFC

Yeah, it sure looked nasty from where I was stood. I think it was payback for beating them at Wembley the season before! W@nkers.

No, they got their revenge in the 5h round the following season, beating us in a replay!!

Still w@nkers though
1st May on 21:12 - May 1 with 755 viewsgrumpy

Will never forget Neil Shipperley's disallowed goal at Old Trafford or Manolo Gabbiadini's at Wembley.
1st May on 14:32 - May 2 with 535 viewsMattFinish

1st May on 13:54 - May 1 by grumpy

What a day that was.

Unfortunately I wasn't even an eye in my father's twinkle then
1st May on 16:08 - May 2 with 475 viewsareasix

I started being a supporter just after the cup final of 76 and went to every home and away for many years afterwards. They are a little vague now but for hairy moments I stand corrected but didn’t Man Utd do a pitch invasion at the Dell and I saw this guy coming straight for me as I was a big mouthy guy at the games and he must of spotted me and I had a swing at him when he got close and I cracked my knuckle on the terrace support and broke my knuckle , I remember having to go though all these dark alleyways back to the coaches from Stamford bridge at one evening game might of been a cup reply and it was a right free for all and the final memory that sticks out was standing on the terraces 77/78 I think at Andelect and the concrete below your feet was just crumbling away.
Lots of other good memories to many to mention it was just a great crack being part of a no fear Southampton supporter. There was a guy with a sheepskin coat called Coombes maybe, memory is fading who use to have one of the toughest gangs and always looked for the action.
1st May on 18:03 - May 2 with 445 viewspjt50

Used to be a teacher in the Midlands in those days (soon thought better of it). We had a parents' evening on the Monday & I was still wearing my “Saints be praised” badge - which I've still got somewhere. One of the parents asked their kid afterwards if I was religious.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024