Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A difficult decision may have to be made by the board 23:43 - Oct 23 with 18983 viewsHopwoodblue

Given we have four home games on the bounce coming up, failure to win any and a defeat in cup to Gateshead even in a replay may make the board feel they need to take action.
On the one hand we have a decent squad that is under performing for what ever reason and there could be many including Keith.
But on the other hand we all have to be careful what we wish for.
It could be a tricky few weeks for Keith and his staff.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2018 23:49]

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 18:51 - Oct 24 with 2494 viewsDaleiLama

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 18:31 - Oct 24 by James1980

I have said this before, surely KH is not telling players to make the individual errors and I would guess, they are not being made in training by the players on the team sheet, perhaps this is why it changes practically every week.
One question why is it most of the time due to our players being bad or badly coached and not just in the situation that led to the goals the opposition were just better and converted the opportunity?

I read a post recently that we had conceded 2nd most goals in all leagues, I think it said. Of course some team has to occupy that spot, but it really shouldn't be us.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 19:14 - Oct 24 with 2439 viewsYouTubeDale

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 17:43 - Oct 24 by 442Dale

The third was by a player who outjumps our right back, Calvin as a permanent right back would not work.

When we get pushed back, as in the third goal, we can have fluid positioning, rather than a rigid RB/CB positions and Calvin could therefore mark the most dangerous opponent in heading terms.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 19:40 - Oct 24 with 2384 views442Dale

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 19:14 - Oct 24 by YouTubeDale

When we get pushed back, as in the third goal, we can have fluid positioning, rather than a rigid RB/CB positions and Calvin could therefore mark the most dangerous opponent in heading terms.

That only works at set-pieces. Anyone who has played in defence knows you have to know your role positionally and when to go into other areas, to try and swap during an attack will create further confusion. We don’t need any help to defend badly as it is.

And there’s an argument that if Calvin was marking the most dangerous player in the air, he’d have been on Akinfenwa who plays centrally.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 19:51 - Oct 24 with 2360 viewskiwidale

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 10:35 - Oct 24 by DaleiLama

I was watching that "jammy goal" again the other day when I posted the youtube clip on the JT thread. Calvin (you have ranked as a Sunday league player?!?!?) was pushed out of the way for the first header but nodded the second down superbly to JT and he took the chance brilliantly.

Here's a reminder for you.

I love it when we're "jammy"

Are you seriously saying we weren't jammy last season? that it was all a case of meticulous planning from Hill. Hyperbole apart is that how you saw it?

This is not the time for bickering.

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 20:08 - Oct 24 with 2336 views49thseason

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 17:03 - Oct 24 by DaleiLama

"underperforming and affecting the performance of the business"

Hm. What measure(s) are you using to evaluate performance?

League table:

Funding:

Own stadium, paying bills, cash in the bank, "couple of players being sold in the January window" according to the gaffer

Entertainment:

Some games are a lot easier to watch than others, but we have had highs and lows in the last 18 months. The Great Escape and the Spurs first leg equaliser are up there in the pantheon of great Dale moments. Other games have been forgettable and/or embarrassing. So mixed.

Season ticket numbers:

Best they've been for many a year

Even if we were relegated, the Board may feel KH is the best man to get us up again.

Are you suggesting that there are criteria for "underperforming and affecting the performance of the business" which can be directly attributable to him and only him, which could be for grounds for dismissal. If so, what would you suggest they are?
[Post edited 24 Oct 2018 17:11]

I think you have mistaken the gist of my post. The point I was making was that it would be inconceivable that the board of A LIMITED COMPANY would not discuss the company's position and those of senior staff within it and If (or not) they believed that someone in a key position was underperforming .... Directors have a duty of care for the business they direct and it would be negligent not to review the performance of staff and the business. I don't believe RAFC is any different in that respect and I am sure conversations have taken place about the BoD's expectations for the season. It may be that KH is simply charged with retaining a place in L1 in which case he and his team are performing in line with expectations. If at some point there are staff who are not performing within the parameters of the set-out expectations then the BoD would presumably act accordingly. As I am not a shareholder, I have no opportunity to ask questions, others who are shareholders may wish to write to the chairman to ask if the current level of performance is in line with the Boards expectations or not.
A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 20:27 - Oct 24 with 2306 viewsjonahwhereru

Football is a law unto itself when judging success v failure. However to me the decision is simple. Is Hill meeting sufficient of his objectives to retain his position at the club.

None of us know the detail of the objectives, but Chis Dunphy is a sound businessman who I expect set objectives commensurate with a five year contact being agreed.

I trust him and the rest of the board on this one, and expect no changes for a good while yet.

The more difficult decision would be who to replace Keith with if he were to depart. After all in the last 40 years how many of our managerial appointments have been considered a success?
A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 20:45 - Oct 24 with 2275 viewsdalenumber2

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 20:27 - Oct 24 by jonahwhereru

Football is a law unto itself when judging success v failure. However to me the decision is simple. Is Hill meeting sufficient of his objectives to retain his position at the club.

None of us know the detail of the objectives, but Chis Dunphy is a sound businessman who I expect set objectives commensurate with a five year contact being agreed.

I trust him and the rest of the board on this one, and expect no changes for a good while yet.

The more difficult decision would be who to replace Keith with if he were to depart. After all in the last 40 years how many of our managerial appointments have been considered a success?

Well Hill was a success - how many would have wanted the board to appoint him at the time? So there will be several potential managers out there that could do a job, it would be up to the board to find one. It would be a gamble for them, but that's in the nature of making a new appointment. Anyway, win on Saturday and it will be all roses again on here. We're a fickle bunch.
A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 20:46 - Oct 24 with 2272 viewsDaleiLama

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 19:51 - Oct 24 by kiwidale

Are you seriously saying we weren't jammy last season? that it was all a case of meticulous planning from Hill. Hyperbole apart is that how you saw it?

Go back and read PG's post.

Login to get fewer ads

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 20:51 - Oct 24 with 2260 viewsDaleiLama

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 20:08 - Oct 24 by 49thseason

I think you have mistaken the gist of my post. The point I was making was that it would be inconceivable that the board of A LIMITED COMPANY would not discuss the company's position and those of senior staff within it and If (or not) they believed that someone in a key position was underperforming .... Directors have a duty of care for the business they direct and it would be negligent not to review the performance of staff and the business. I don't believe RAFC is any different in that respect and I am sure conversations have taken place about the BoD's expectations for the season. It may be that KH is simply charged with retaining a place in L1 in which case he and his team are performing in line with expectations. If at some point there are staff who are not performing within the parameters of the set-out expectations then the BoD would presumably act accordingly. As I am not a shareholder, I have no opportunity to ask questions, others who are shareholders may wish to write to the chairman to ask if the current level of performance is in line with the Boards expectations or not.

Ah - ok - that makes sense. I am sure KH has objectives. I'm sure none of us will ever find out what they are. Similarly, we don't know what's in his contract either. Nor is it particularly worth speculating about in my book. It is what it is. His performance should be judged at season's end on his full body of work over the season and I'm sure he is and will be. He was last season. He went out and made changes which appeared to be for the better. Only time will tell …………….

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 21:22 - Oct 24 with 2203 viewsShun

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 19:51 - Oct 24 by kiwidale

It’s a 46-game season, luck doesn’t come into it. Any luck we had last season was balanced out by any bad luck we had, the same as every season, and the same as every other team. As previously stated, we stayed up because we deserved to stay up. To state luck had anything to do with it is churlish.
A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 22:06 - Oct 24 with 2141 viewsJames1980

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 21:22 - Oct 24 by Shun

It’s a 46-game season, luck doesn’t come into it. Any luck we had last season was balanced out by any bad luck we had, the same as every season, and the same as every other team. As previously stated, we stayed up because we deserved to stay up. To state luck had anything to do with it is churlish.

Wasn't Northampton beating Oldham an element of luck?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 22:22 - Oct 24 with 2104 viewsTVOS1907

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 22:06 - Oct 24 by James1980

It was a draw, but I get your point.

Oldham also failed to win any of their last eight matches, including one against us, so they only had themselves to blame.

Spookily, the same two fixtures take place this weekend and on the final day!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 22:43 - Oct 24 with 2066 views49thseason

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 20:27 - Oct 24 by jonahwhereru

since 1978:
Peter Madden - was somewhat dour but managed to win over 40 % of games.
Danny Bergara - was great fun and enjoyable for a short period but brought some good players in I was depressed when he left although the results were uninspiring.
Terry Dolan managed a 40% win rate with some of the Bergara remnants until getting offered a job at Hull?
Dave Sutton - was as mad as a box of frogs but entertaining to say the least.
Steve Parkin - was reasonably able if somewhat unspectacular, and he did bring in some good players
John Hollins - I thought he was great and got the best out of Paddy McCourt his dismissal was strange I considered it a big mistake by the board at the time.

I didn't particularly rate Simpson , or Buckley, and the Parkin return was very average, Eyre was out of his depth and I had better keep my thoughts about Coleman to myself bearing in mind the internet police are never far away these days.

In the last 16 years the stand out has been Keith Hill but his current stats are a pale shadow of his first term and the first 2 years of his second spell. I dont know if he has simply lost his mojo or if the difficulty of staying afloat in this division is becoming increasingly difficult based on comparisons of our budget vs the rest of the division. Money talks in Football, even Jose was admitting as much this afternoon. I imagine getting a quality manager is money related as much as getting a quality striker.
A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 22:48 - Oct 24 with 2060 viewsShun

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 22:06 - Oct 24 by James1980

Only in as much as Oldham winning enough games to accrue more points than us before the final game of the season can be called luck.
A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 23:02 - Oct 24 with 2046 viewsJames1980

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 22:22 - Oct 24 by TVOS1907

It was a draw, but I get your point.

Oldham also failed to win any of their last eight matches, including one against us, so they only had themselves to blame.

Spookily, the same two fixtures take place this weekend and on the final day!

Oops I should really check before I post

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 23:04 - Oct 24 with 2043 viewsTVOS1907

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 23:02 - Oct 24 by James1980

Oops I should really check before I post

You had a late night, James.

Then again, so did I, although mutually exclusively to yours, of course.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 00:11 - Oct 25 with 1988 viewsJames1980

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 23:04 - Oct 24 by TVOS1907

You had a late night, James.

Then again, so did I, although mutually exclusively to yours, of course.

My late night was exacerbated by getting on the wrong train. Embarrassing for a railway employee. One could call it an individual error.

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 00:35 - Oct 25 with 1975 viewskiwidale

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 00:11 - Oct 25 by James1980

My late night was exacerbated by getting on the wrong train. Embarrassing for a railway employee. One could call it an individual error.

you are sounding like Hill now James … It's Hills fault.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2018 0:36]

This is not the time for bickering.

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 00:46 - Oct 25 with 1962 viewsdingdangblue

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 22:43 - Oct 24 by 49thseason

since 1978:
Peter Madden - was somewhat dour but managed to win over 40 % of games.
Danny Bergara - was great fun and enjoyable for a short period but brought some good players in I was depressed when he left although the results were uninspiring.
Terry Dolan managed a 40% win rate with some of the Bergara remnants until getting offered a job at Hull?
Dave Sutton - was as mad as a box of frogs but entertaining to say the least.
Steve Parkin - was reasonably able if somewhat unspectacular, and he did bring in some good players
John Hollins - I thought he was great and got the best out of Paddy McCourt his dismissal was strange I considered it a big mistake by the board at the time.

I didn't particularly rate Simpson , or Buckley, and the Parkin return was very average, Eyre was out of his depth and I had better keep my thoughts about Coleman to myself bearing in mind the internet police are never far away these days.

In the last 16 years the stand out has been Keith Hill but his current stats are a pale shadow of his first term and the first 2 years of his second spell. I dont know if he has simply lost his mojo or if the difficulty of staying afloat in this division is becoming increasingly difficult based on comparisons of our budget vs the rest of the division. Money talks in Football, even Jose was admitting as much this afternoon. I imagine getting a quality manager is money related as much as getting a quality striker.

Its amazing how history changes - it wasn't the first 2 years of his 2nd spell - it was 4 consecutive seasons of success! Unprecedented for Rochdale - but that's what's expected from Hill now!

13/14 league 2 promotion 3rd place 81 pts
14/15 league 1 8th place 63 pts
15/16 league 1 10th place 69 pts
16/17 league 1 9th place 69 pts

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 06:16 - Oct 25 with 1878 viewsD_Alien

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 00:46 - Oct 25 by dingdangblue

Its amazing how history changes - it wasn't the first 2 years of his 2nd spell - it was 4 consecutive seasons of success! Unprecedented for Rochdale - but that's what's expected from Hill now!

13/14 league 2 promotion 3rd place 81 pts
14/15 league 1 8th place 63 pts
15/16 league 1 10th place 69 pts
16/17 league 1 9th place 69 pts

I sincerely hope the board took Hilly to task for the 25% deterioration in league position from 14/15 to 15/16

It's a wonder his position wasn't erm... considered

Oh, the irony! Heaven preserve us from sporting assessment by spreadsheet

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 08:29 - Oct 25 with 1775 viewsSandyman

17/18 20th
18/19 Currently 17th with a shocking defence.

Excellent post by 49th, but seems to have forgotten that Steve Parkin's first spell was a massive kick up the arse for RAFC which we needed after "Barrow Out" and he gave us progression. When he left for Barnsley, for the entire season we weren't out of the top 7 with a great squad that still did the business and got us to the play offs for the first time, even with 3 managers (Parkin, Hamilton and Hollins) . Parkin (1st time round) made RAFC a team. Hill made us an even better team (1st time round). Comparatively, his "team" looks feeble now, despite the great individuals within it.
Parkin had to go (second time round) and we got some unknown in from the youth set up who did a brilliant job. Someone the "who will you replace Parkin with? " brigade, who were demanding a name, never even thought of. Someone who took over and did a better job than someone living on past glories and past his sell by date. A chap called Keith Hill.
Alas, perhaps the circle has turned. Is Hill living on past glories? The current malaise and desperate survival of last season suggests he is. Our home form and defensive inadequacies are not good enough. Sort it out Hilly.
A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 08:38 - Oct 25 with 1765 viewsNewbury_Dale

I wonder if there’s a stat for the most number crosses coming into the box from wide areas, which lead to shots on attempts on goal ? Because this for me is the issue, which the manager either cannot see or chooses to ignore. The fullbacks are exposed constantly because of the formation. Too many central midfield players and central strikers. It’s all too narrow. The formation is the main issue here, plus the fixation on accomodating the managers favourites at all costs. Dropping Henderson may sound ridiculous to some but we seem to build the whole team around him and he doesn’t contribute enough to warrant that. I’d like to see us revert to 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1, instead of 4-3-3 because the two wide players in the front three generally aren’t wide players and it’s not helping our team shape when it comes to defending in wide areas and stopping crosses coming into our box.
A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 09:10 - Oct 25 with 1707 viewsrochdaleriddler

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 08:38 - Oct 25 by Newbury_Dale

I wonder if there’s a stat for the most number crosses coming into the box from wide areas, which lead to shots on attempts on goal ? Because this for me is the issue, which the manager either cannot see or chooses to ignore. The fullbacks are exposed constantly because of the formation. Too many central midfield players and central strikers. It’s all too narrow. The formation is the main issue here, plus the fixation on accomodating the managers favourites at all costs. Dropping Henderson may sound ridiculous to some but we seem to build the whole team around him and he doesn’t contribute enough to warrant that. I’d like to see us revert to 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1, instead of 4-3-3 because the two wide players in the front three generally aren’t wide players and it’s not helping our team shape when it comes to defending in wide areas and stopping crosses coming into our box.

Agree with much of that, our full backs aren’t stopping crosses, although we can’t defend corners with 10 players back! I’d keep hendo though

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 09:59 - Oct 25 with 1649 viewsYouTubeDale

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 08:29 - Oct 25 by Sandyman

17/18 20th
18/19 Currently 17th with a shocking defence.

Excellent post by 49th, but seems to have forgotten that Steve Parkin's first spell was a massive kick up the arse for RAFC which we needed after "Barrow Out" and he gave us progression. When he left for Barnsley, for the entire season we weren't out of the top 7 with a great squad that still did the business and got us to the play offs for the first time, even with 3 managers (Parkin, Hamilton and Hollins) . Parkin (1st time round) made RAFC a team. Hill made us an even better team (1st time round). Comparatively, his "team" looks feeble now, despite the great individuals within it.
Parkin had to go (second time round) and we got some unknown in from the youth set up who did a brilliant job. Someone the "who will you replace Parkin with? " brigade, who were demanding a name, never even thought of. Someone who took over and did a better job than someone living on past glories and past his sell by date. A chap called Keith Hill.
Alas, perhaps the circle has turned. Is Hill living on past glories? The current malaise and desperate survival of last season suggests he is. Our home form and defensive inadequacies are not good enough. Sort it out Hilly.

When you say “Parkin had to go” second time around, can we discuss why he had to go, having done well for us, it might shed some light on the current situation. It’s all about decision making at the end of the day, and getting that decision right. A wrong decision, as we all know, could cause disaster.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

A difficult decision may have to be made by the board on 10:19 - Oct 25 with 1617 viewsJames1980

Isn't it often the case a football clubs BoD, let go of a manager when they lose the dressing room? I am not in 'the know' but I don't think KH has and isn't likely to in the near future

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024