Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Post-Covid UK 09:52 - May 13 with 2518 viewsBoris_

Once this is all over, are you going to change anything you do?

I am going to ensure I never spend a penny again with businesses who have acted like c*nts through this, including:

Virgin
Wetherspoons
Sports Direct ( or any Mike Ashley owned/associated brand )
RyanAir

I want to holiday in England much more often, planning trips to the Lake District and Cornwall once we are through this.

I've got used to using Grocers and Butchers again and want to continue buying British were possible and supporting independent stores.

We might actually come out of this the other side with a better country than before.

Poll: Claude Puel

Post-Covid UK on 10:00 - May 13 with 1444 viewsOccasional_Showers

I want to keep my garden looking nice. Don’t get me wrong I’ve always kept it presentable but it’s now looking first class and I’d love it to stay like that.

Poll: Did you break any lockdown rules?

Post-Covid UK on 10:07 - May 13 with 1454 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

I think I covered this in a post a few weeks ago, but I agree with the above.

I will;
1. Continue to support local farm shops who have been delivering local and seasonal meat, veg and salad to me every week. Less money for the big supermarkets and I will not support buying non-seasonal produce being flown in from Mexico etc.

2. Buy as British as I can. I want to see more companies make stuff in the UK. I will buy it, even if it costs more.

3. I don't fly now, but I will make it even less frequent. It should be a real luxury. Holidays in the UK or by Eurostar.

4. Continue to oppose HS2 and add the Heathrow expansion to my opposition - the pandemic has cleared the air and started to sort the climate out, let's keep it that way.

5. Keep the garden together and keep planting trees.

6. I haven't had a takeaway for over 2 months, we don't need them, I like cooking and will continue to cook healthy food.

7. Work from home. At most I'll go to London twice a week - if my current company won't facilitate that in future then I'll find somewhere that will.

8. See family more!

9. Make more effort to check on neighbours and see if they're okay.

10. Never watch Piers Morgan on TV again.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Post-Covid UK on 10:15 - May 13 with 1440 viewsRednWight

Have to agree with all of that
Perhaps include Scotland and Wales in holidays and add avoid Chinese made products in favour of local or at least U.K. made

The older I get the better I was
Poll: Cortese. Would we have him back

Post-Covid UK on 10:29 - May 13 with 1416 viewsJaySaint

totally agree.

I am almost glad BREXIT is happening as that will help the cause - buying local etc

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Post-Covid UK on 10:40 - May 13 with 1399 viewsgrumpy

Post-Covid UK on 10:29 - May 13 by JaySaint

totally agree.

I am almost glad BREXIT is happening as that will help the cause - buying local etc

'buying local' from whom?
The way our manufacturing base is going there isn't going be much local.
Post-Covid UK on 10:42 - May 13 with 1393 viewsSalisburySaint

totally agree.

I’ll certainly be working from home more, 3 days a week if bosses will allow me to

But also hope to visit brother and wife who live in France, and in past weeks have been even more restricted than us, unable to go more than 1km from home for exercise, despite living in middle of nowhere a mile from nearest village. They are now allowed to travel up to 100km.
[Post edited 13 May 2020 10:42]
Post-Covid UK on 10:43 - May 13 with 1384 viewsBoris_

Post-Covid UK on 10:40 - May 13 by grumpy

'buying local' from whom?
The way our manufacturing base is going there isn't going be much local.

Do you think we should be able to pay people £1 an hour so we can compete with China and Turkey for clothing manufacturing?

Post-Covid UK on 10:44 - May 13 with 1373 viewsJaySaint

Post-Covid UK on 10:43 - May 13 by Boris_

Do you think we should be able to pay people £1 an hour so we can compete with China and Turkey for clothing manufacturing?

What will the braindead make of their heroes on Instagram and TikTok (or what ever it is) who flaunt their latest 'garm'..

all made by kids on roughly 50p day in a deadly sweat shop.

Login to get fewer ads

Post-Covid UK on 10:46 - May 13 with 1368 viewssolent_toffee

totally agree.

I’m probably being a bit thick here, but the buying British thing should have been switched on as soon as the Brexit referendum result came on, I’m not sure why it wasn’t - again not looking fir an argument, I genuinely don’t know enough about it.

Anyway, back to the OP. I do holiday a fair bit in the UK, Wales, Cornwall, Dorset all at least once a year for a week/long weekend.

When I get the chance I will go to Barcelona, not a popular choice on here maybe, but I have friends there and would like to see them. Long distance travel won’t hapoen for a while.

Work wise, I do work from home but pre Covid, I would regularly travel as far as Rotherham, Doncaster, Sheffield, do a presentation, then drive back on the same day, that will be a thing of the past, which will be great for many reasons.

I’m more appreciative of what I’ve got though that I won’t take as much for granted.
Post-Covid UK on 10:47 - May 13 with 1366 viewsSadoldgit

Let me get this right, as soon as the pandemic is over, the UK will start to build our own cars and motorbikes again, the steel factories and coal mines will reopen along with all of the other things that have disappeared since the 1970’s? Don’t hold your breath. The economy will be screwed and even if you could afford the luxury of buying British even if it is more expensive, there will be precious little to buy that is Made In The UK. As for only going on holiday in the UK, a few wet and windy summers will soon knock that on the head.
Post-Covid UK on 10:50 - May 13 with 1355 viewsgrumpy

Post-Covid UK on 10:43 - May 13 by Boris_

No,I went to a lecture by Digby Jones once, and he said we should concentrate on selling our high end products round the world and let countries like China sell the low end.
Post-Covid UK on 10:52 - May 13 with 1350 viewsJaySaint

Post-Covid UK on 10:47 - May 13 by Sadoldgit

Let me get this right, as soon as the pandemic is over, the UK will start to build our own cars and motorbikes again, the steel factories and coal mines will reopen along with all of the other things that have disappeared since the 1970’s? Don’t hold your breath. The economy will be screwed and even if you could afford the luxury of buying British even if it is more expensive, there will be precious little to buy that is Made In The UK. As for only going on holiday in the UK, a few wet and windy summers will soon knock that on the head.

little steps.

Holiday in the UK more
Buy more British food
Hire UK residents more
Buy things where possible made in the UK
buy things where possible not manufactured in a Bangladesh / Chinese sweat shop
Be more controlling of our borders
Promote GB much more than we do, stop with the racist/little englander tab
Maybe, do more to improve the climate in the UK

we have an awesome country and should be far more proud of it.
[Post edited 13 May 2020 10:53]

Post-Covid UK on 10:54 - May 13 with 1344 viewsDorsetIan

Post-Covid UK on 10:07 - May 13 by Gennaro_Contaldo

I think I covered this in a post a few weeks ago, but I agree with the above.

I will;
1. Continue to support local farm shops who have been delivering local and seasonal meat, veg and salad to me every week. Less money for the big supermarkets and I will not support buying non-seasonal produce being flown in from Mexico etc.

2. Buy as British as I can. I want to see more companies make stuff in the UK. I will buy it, even if it costs more.

3. I don't fly now, but I will make it even less frequent. It should be a real luxury. Holidays in the UK or by Eurostar.

4. Continue to oppose HS2 and add the Heathrow expansion to my opposition - the pandemic has cleared the air and started to sort the climate out, let's keep it that way.

5. Keep the garden together and keep planting trees.

6. I haven't had a takeaway for over 2 months, we don't need them, I like cooking and will continue to cook healthy food.

7. Work from home. At most I'll go to London twice a week - if my current company won't facilitate that in future then I'll find somewhere that will.

8. See family more!

9. Make more effort to check on neighbours and see if they're okay.

10. Never watch Piers Morgan on TV again.

I think you get the prize for the TUI poster for whom all this has had the most profound effect.

I've been working at home at least 2 days a week for the last 10 years or so. At the time I was fortunately placed in a firm where they wanted to be flexible with me, but once it had been agreed I was careful to always move on the same terms. You do right to insist on keeping what you've now got. All that wasted commuting time and stress, and I am sure that you are just, if not more, productive.

Wishing you all the best with your changes.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Post-Covid UK on 11:01 - May 13 with 1325 viewsSadoldgit

Post-Covid UK on 10:50 - May 13 by grumpy

No,I went to a lecture by Digby Jones once, and he said we should concentrate on selling our high end products round the world and let countries like China sell the low end.

This makes perfect sense. We will never be able to compete with The East over low price products due to wages.
Post-Covid UK on 11:30 - May 13 with 1305 views1885_SFC

Tip:

If you want to save money this Christmas, now is the perfect time to tell the kids that Santa didn't make it through the pandemic.

Old School is Cool

Post-Covid UK on 11:37 - May 13 with 1289 viewsSadoldgit

Post-Covid UK on 11:30 - May 13 by 1885_SFC

Tip:

If you want to save money this Christmas, now is the perfect time to tell the kids that Santa didn't make it through the pandemic.

He is a prime candidate, being over 60 and surrounded by all those elves all year round.
Post-Covid UK on 11:54 - May 13 with 1261 viewsYarman

I had a big health scare with cancer a little while ago, so l reset my life then, it's all the little things in life that you take for granted that mean so much when you don't know what the future holds.
Post-Covid UK on 12:07 - May 13 with 1241 viewsHeisenberg

Interesting that no one has said spend more money on watching football either live of through TV subscriptions.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Post-Covid UK on 12:13 - May 13 with 1235 viewsBoris_

Post-Covid UK on 10:50 - May 13 by grumpy

Nice theory but even the higher end clothing is made in China, Turkey or India. Doesn't matter how high end it is, it will be made where the minimum wage is £1 an hour.

Post-Covid UK on 12:14 - May 13 with 1234 viewsBoris_

Post-Covid UK on 12:07 - May 13 by Heisenberg

Interesting that no one has said spend more money on watching football either live of through TV subscriptions.

I am not sure that I will get the bug back for Saints. I'm looking forward to finally getting my money back from Saints and very much doubt I'll get another season ticket.

I'm more likely to go and watch Eastleigh next year.

Post-Covid UK on 12:20 - May 13 with 1219 viewsgrumpy

Post-Covid UK on 12:07 - May 13 by Heisenberg

I think football clubs should make more effort for their fans.
Stop charging a ridiculous admission cost would be a start.
If they think playing behind closed doors on neutral venues is going to ignite interest again they are in for a rude awakening.
Post-Covid UK on 12:22 - May 13 with 1210 viewsYarman

Post-Covid UK on 12:14 - May 13 by Boris_

I am not sure that I will get the bug back for Saints. I'm looking forward to finally getting my money back from Saints and very much doubt I'll get another season ticket.

There are a lot of old school saints lads who only go and watch Eastleigh now, more enjoyable than st Marys.
Post-Covid UK on 12:26 - May 13 with 1208 viewsSadoldgit

Post-Covid UK on 11:54 - May 13 by Yarman

I had a big health scare with cancer a little while ago, so l reset my life then, it's all the little things in life that you take for granted that mean so much when you don't know what the future holds.

Sorry to hear that. Hope you are ok now? I have a mate who is just recovering from prostate cancer after losing his wife to the disease 2 years ago. We do tend to take good health for granted but as you say, who knows what is waiting for us down the line? Keep well.
Post-Covid UK on 12:32 - May 13 with 1198 viewsgrumpy

Post-Covid UK on 12:14 - May 13 by Boris_

Sadly I think you will be one of many.
Saints need to wake up,its not good enough to adopt the 'build it and they will come' attitude.
Post-Covid UK on 12:34 - May 13 with 1195 viewsBoris_

Post-Covid UK on 12:22 - May 13 by Yarman

There are a lot of old school saints lads who only go and watch Eastleigh now, more enjoyable than st Marys.

I think I probably know a few of them, Ash the Bash and pals.

I have generally go 5 or 6 times a season and is always a good day out. Clubs like Eastleigh are going to need the money far more than Saints.

It's also very likely that football with crowds will come back in stages/based on capacity so might well be that Eastleigh actually open their doors long before Saints which should push the sales up.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024