Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Liverpool win it. 08:45 - Jun 26 with 3722 viewsChesham_Saint

At the risk of introducing a football related post to the Board, surely the question of the day should be how we feel about the Scallies 30 year wait being over?

I know Toffs and Nick will be on opposite sides here, but jet’s hope they can have a mature debate without calling each other fascists merely because they disagree....

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Liverpool win it. on 12:41 - Jun 26 with 1039 viewsChesham_Saint

Liverpool win it. on 12:21 - Jun 26 by solent_toffee

I have an old Everton programme with an advert for the next Liverpool game.

When the Blues are away, the Reds do play.

Shankly was a genius to be fair, doubt you’d find any Everton fan disputing that. He transformed the club in every way, including tapping into the droves of people attending the city as part of the Beatles boom. He told the club to play Beatles records and open the gates early each game. Simple but genius and brought in loads of new fans.

Ironically when he left Liverpool and was no longer welcome at Anfield, he used to be a regular at Goodison.

No longer welcome at Anfield? Hang on, Nick cited the example of Saints fans putting up with MLT supposedly being banned, but this is just as bad, if not worse!

Liverpool win it. on 12:53 - Jun 26 with 1022 viewssolent_toffee

Liverpool win it. on 12:41 - Jun 26 by Chesham_Saint

No longer welcome at Anfield? Hang on, Nick cited the example of Saints fans putting up with MLT supposedly being banned, but this is just as bad, if not worse!

https://www.balls.ie/football/bill-shanklys-post-career-v-alex-fergusons-post-ca
Liverpool win it. on 13:15 - Jun 26 with 1000 viewsSaintNick

Liverpool win it. on 11:22 - Jun 26 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Agreed, sorry Nick, you're on your own with this one!

I am on you own, but you all seem to miss the point, I didn't actually compare their fans to ours, I pointed out to Solent Toffee that he seems to think that the entire city of Liverpool supporters Everton and the last Liverpool supporter has long since moved.

Truth is Liverpool are no different from Everton in terms of support on Merseyside, what Solent Toffee hates is the global support that Liverpool now have and therefore paints the entire club with the same brush, getting up at 6am and driving 280 mile round trip is fine as long as your an Everton fan born up there, but is to be ridiculed if you where born and bread in Slough and support Liverpool.

Dirk tells me our fans were among the noisiest, most passionate and most fanatical in the land.there was not a noisier ground in the country back in 1976/77,

That is not how i remember it when our opening game of 76/77 season saw only 18,695 in the Dell and two weeks later 12,809 turned up to see us play Sheffield United, yes we had a few biggies that beefed up the average, 28k against Fulham which was a noisy day, but the average was still 11,000 under capacity .

Away trips were hardly invading armies either, we went en mass to some games like Forest in the cup, but most league games saw 500 or so at anywhere other than London or Bristol & Plymouth.

I hate to have to put fact in the way of fiction, yes on it's day the Dell could be noisy, but two open ends didn't lead to atmosphere in the run of the mill games.

I didnt really buy the if we had won 40 trophies and they had won 1 we would have bigger support than them, this is the first title they have won in 30 years, they have lived in the shadow of first United and Chelsea Arsenal & Man City for all of that time, in the 1990's they won two trophies, the FA Cup in 92 and the League cup in 95, they had a brief resurgence 2001-06 when they won two FA cups a league cup plus Champions League and UEFA cup

Up to now in the last 14 years they have won just 2 trophies in 14 years a League cup and Champions League, but in that time there support has got bigger and bigger, in their terms 6 trophies in 25 years is terrible, but it grows.

People are missing the point here I am not bothered about whether it is Liverpool or Man Utd who I hate, I know we don't have the passion there fans do, apologies to some of you on here who may have gone to every game home and away, but if that is you and for that matter me( at least most of them anyway) yes those that go are up there with the best, I love our travelling support, but lets be brutal it isn't great in numbers, peope will pont out how we took thousands to Orient etc in League 1 when we got promoted, but how many did we take to Swindon, Sheffield Wednesday, Yeovil, Huddersfield etc I know because I was there.

So accuse me of being a Liverpool fan, but do so when you are practising what you are preaching , you never see me saying I am thinking of getting an Eastleigh season ticket or I'm not going because im not being entertained or i would rather pay Golf, I just do what I do as a supporter of the club and that is go to games every week .

As a 15 year old back in 1976 I was gobsmacked when only 12,000 turned up for a home game for the 2nd game of the season, I couldnt understand why four months earlier 25,000 had been fanatical supporters and half of them couldnt even be bothered going to the Dell.

44 years later I have grown to understand that for some supporting Saints is more of a hobby than a religion, but for Liverpool fans and Man Utd it is more than that, Solent Toffee goes up to Godison every other week, how many travel down in the other direction, or a similar distance to see us ? I would suspect not even one, despite there being plenty of people living up north from here.

To end, you are right Liverpool are right up there in the self regarding tosser stakes, but that is mainly the armchair fans, but they still have a hard core of lads who travelled all over the country and Europe for years through thick and thin, we have got a fraction of that number, I could probably name 80% of them

That is the passion I want, I want to see our ex players love our club, Le Tiss and Franny do, but after that we are struggling to find someone with their passion

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Liverpool win it. on 13:57 - Jun 26 with 962 viewsBoris_

"So accuse me of being a Liverpool fan, but do so when you are practising what you are preaching , you never see me saying I am thinking of getting an Eastleigh season ticket or I'm not going because im not being entertained or i would rather pay Golf, I just do what I do as a supporter of the club and that is go to games every week "

Assume that's aimed at me. I don't care whether I'm called a good support or sh!t one to be honest Nick, I just do whatever I want to do and don't worry about what others think.

I have been a season ticket holder for 13 out of the last 15 years, including in League 1 and Championship ( where I'd much rather us be playing our football btw ). I've also done lots over the years to help/work with the club as a volunteer including raising money for the foundation.

I've fallen out of love with the Premier League, not Southampton.

As a day out with the lads, going to an Eastleigh game is MUCH more enjoyable. You can't compare going to watch a local non-league team with supporting 2 Premier League clubs.

Poll: Claude Puel

Liverpool win it. on 14:22 - Jun 26 with 970 viewsChesham_Saint

Liverpool win it. on 13:15 - Jun 26 by SaintNick

I am on you own, but you all seem to miss the point, I didn't actually compare their fans to ours, I pointed out to Solent Toffee that he seems to think that the entire city of Liverpool supporters Everton and the last Liverpool supporter has long since moved.

Truth is Liverpool are no different from Everton in terms of support on Merseyside, what Solent Toffee hates is the global support that Liverpool now have and therefore paints the entire club with the same brush, getting up at 6am and driving 280 mile round trip is fine as long as your an Everton fan born up there, but is to be ridiculed if you where born and bread in Slough and support Liverpool.

Dirk tells me our fans were among the noisiest, most passionate and most fanatical in the land.there was not a noisier ground in the country back in 1976/77,

That is not how i remember it when our opening game of 76/77 season saw only 18,695 in the Dell and two weeks later 12,809 turned up to see us play Sheffield United, yes we had a few biggies that beefed up the average, 28k against Fulham which was a noisy day, but the average was still 11,000 under capacity .

Away trips were hardly invading armies either, we went en mass to some games like Forest in the cup, but most league games saw 500 or so at anywhere other than London or Bristol & Plymouth.

I hate to have to put fact in the way of fiction, yes on it's day the Dell could be noisy, but two open ends didn't lead to atmosphere in the run of the mill games.

I didnt really buy the if we had won 40 trophies and they had won 1 we would have bigger support than them, this is the first title they have won in 30 years, they have lived in the shadow of first United and Chelsea Arsenal & Man City for all of that time, in the 1990's they won two trophies, the FA Cup in 92 and the League cup in 95, they had a brief resurgence 2001-06 when they won two FA cups a league cup plus Champions League and UEFA cup

Up to now in the last 14 years they have won just 2 trophies in 14 years a League cup and Champions League, but in that time there support has got bigger and bigger, in their terms 6 trophies in 25 years is terrible, but it grows.

People are missing the point here I am not bothered about whether it is Liverpool or Man Utd who I hate, I know we don't have the passion there fans do, apologies to some of you on here who may have gone to every game home and away, but if that is you and for that matter me( at least most of them anyway) yes those that go are up there with the best, I love our travelling support, but lets be brutal it isn't great in numbers, peope will pont out how we took thousands to Orient etc in League 1 when we got promoted, but how many did we take to Swindon, Sheffield Wednesday, Yeovil, Huddersfield etc I know because I was there.

So accuse me of being a Liverpool fan, but do so when you are practising what you are preaching , you never see me saying I am thinking of getting an Eastleigh season ticket or I'm not going because im not being entertained or i would rather pay Golf, I just do what I do as a supporter of the club and that is go to games every week .

As a 15 year old back in 1976 I was gobsmacked when only 12,000 turned up for a home game for the 2nd game of the season, I couldnt understand why four months earlier 25,000 had been fanatical supporters and half of them couldnt even be bothered going to the Dell.

44 years later I have grown to understand that for some supporting Saints is more of a hobby than a religion, but for Liverpool fans and Man Utd it is more than that, Solent Toffee goes up to Godison every other week, how many travel down in the other direction, or a similar distance to see us ? I would suspect not even one, despite there being plenty of people living up north from here.

To end, you are right Liverpool are right up there in the self regarding tosser stakes, but that is mainly the armchair fans, but they still have a hard core of lads who travelled all over the country and Europe for years through thick and thin, we have got a fraction of that number, I could probably name 80% of them

That is the passion I want, I want to see our ex players love our club, Le Tiss and Franny do, but after that we are struggling to find someone with their passion

At the risk of being contentious (as if) I used to think that the likes of Loverpool (perhaps the approximate spelling for today) had higher home crowds as many of them had nothing else to do... Shithole areas, Frozen, depressed, northern industrial wastelands and all that.... No?

Liverpool win it. on 14:22 - Jun 26 with 969 viewsSaintsforeverj

Liverpool, Man United, Chelsea and Arsenal etc have huge fan bases across the world. They just do. They are not super human or made of steel around those parts. They are not pre wired to be more passionate. Are they a different species of human and get more emotional than anyone born in Southampton? They just support top clubs with loads of fans, loads of money and loads of success. That's exciting, they can be arrogant and they can be loud about it. They have a lot to cheer and get excited about. It's nothing more than that.

If we won the league, of course our fans would celebrate with real passion. Are you saying the Southern softies would be too shy and would just clap nicely? 12 000 in 76. I don't really know what that has to do with anything. I can find attendances from history below 10 000 at some of the biggest clubs.

You just can't compare to teams that never win anything. You don't know, how passionate our fans would be if we had loads of money and were consistently successful.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2020 14:27]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Liverpool win it. on 14:24 - Jun 26 with 967 viewssolent_toffee

To be fair Nick, you probably know more match going reds than I do these days.

My family are 60/40 Reds/Blues with the Reds being my mums side and the blue being my dad’s side. Of those reds, two go to the game, of the blues most go to the game. This is partly due to tickets but for some reds they’ve just never gone but have always given it the big one.

I don’t particularly hate Liverpool’s global fan base, it’s doesn’t bother me to be honest. I just can’t relate to it, if I could I would jib Everton and support Barca, Juventus or Bayern. Likewise the lad who supports them from Slough when he has to drive past God knows how many clubs to get there. And then there are the millions of tellyclappers who would rather see the clubs in the towns where they are from go to the wall to align themselves to a club, a city and an identity that they have no connection to. Again this is supported and almost encouraged by the media who then have the audacity to discuss the plight of the lower leagues. This isn’t exclusive to Liverpool, United have been just as bad, I just think that Liverpool are now on the crest of a marketing wave (full credit to whoever is doing it, because they are playing a blinder). Liverpool as a city is certainly benefiting from it financially, hotels, bars etc. I’m just grateful I live down here and don’t have it rammed down my throat.
Liverpool win it. on 14:33 - Jun 26 with 959 viewsSaintsforeverj

Liverpool win it. on 14:24 - Jun 26 by solent_toffee

My family are 60/40 Reds/Blues with the Reds being my mums side and the blue being my dad’s side. Of those reds, two go to the game, of the blues most go to the game. This is partly due to tickets but for some reds they’ve just never gone but have always given it the big one.

I don’t particularly hate Liverpool’s global fan base, it’s doesn’t bother me to be honest. I just can’t relate to it, if I could I would jib Everton and support Barca, Juventus or Bayern. Likewise the lad who supports them from Slough when he has to drive past God knows how many clubs to get there. And then there are the millions of tellyclappers who would rather see the clubs in the towns where they are from go to the wall to align themselves to a club, a city and an identity that they have no connection to. Again this is supported and almost encouraged by the media who then have the audacity to discuss the plight of the lower leagues. This isn’t exclusive to Liverpool, United have been just as bad, I just think that Liverpool are now on the crest of a marketing wave (full credit to whoever is doing it, because they are playing a blinder). Liverpool as a city is certainly benefiting from it financially, hotels, bars etc. I’m just grateful I live down here and don’t have it rammed down my throat.

I'm pretty sure Everton fans would be just as passionate as Liverpool fans if they were just as successful. I don't buy this idea that Liverpool have more passionate fans than anyone else. The fans are as passionate as the success they have. Of course the history, trophies, etc play a part but any consistently successful team has passionate fans. Southampton fans would go crazy if we won the league as would Everton's. We never win anything so there is nothing to get passionate about!
[Post edited 26 Jun 2020 14:34]

Login to get fewer ads

Liverpool win it. on 14:44 - Jun 26 with 947 viewssolent_toffee

Liverpool win it. on 14:33 - Jun 26 by Saintsforeverj

I'm pretty sure Everton fans would be just as passionate as Liverpool fans if they were just as successful. I don't buy this idea that Liverpool have more passionate fans than anyone else. The fans are as passionate as the success they have. Of course the history, trophies, etc play a part but any consistently successful team has passionate fans. Southampton fans would go crazy if we won the league as would Everton's. We never win anything so there is nothing to get passionate about!

Liverpool’s new motto is ‘Liverpool - This means more’ it was a quote from Klopp last year and they have marketed the shit out of it so that every customer of LFC thinks they are special. As I’ve said they are great at marketing but they do have a very easy target group.
Liverpool win it. on 14:44 - Jun 26 with 930 viewsBoris_

Liverpool win it. on 14:33 - Jun 26 by Saintsforeverj

If Southampton won the league then there would be absolute carnage in Southampton on the night it happened, as there would be if most Premier League clubs won it.

I have supported Southampton for 35 years and never seen us win anything, yet still love the club as much as I did after the first game I saw in 1985.

How many Liverpool fans would still be around if they dropped to League 1 and had never won or even really challenged for a major trophy in 40 years?

Liverpool win it. on 15:51 - Jun 26 with 920 viewsSaintsforeverj

Liverpool win it. on 14:44 - Jun 26 by Boris_

If Southampton won the league then there would be absolute carnage in Southampton on the night it happened, as there would be if most Premier League clubs won it.

I have supported Southampton for 35 years and never seen us win anything, yet still love the club as much as I did after the first game I saw in 1985.

How many Liverpool fans would still be around if they dropped to League 1 and had never won or even really challenged for a major trophy in 40 years?

Exactly. It's rediculous saying look how passionate they are when they have just won the PL title, after also winning the champions league and other cups. We would be as crazy and as passionate as any club.

Liverpool win it. on 16:40 - Jun 26 with 903 viewsdirk_doone

Liverpool win it. on 14:24 - Jun 26 by solent_toffee

Something for you to celebrate: the 50th anniversary.

I remember seeing this team at the Dell:

I've been looking for a 1960s TV programme about a group of Everton fans who used to travel to away games in the back of a big removals lorry but I can't find it anywhere online. It was one of the best documentaries ever about football fans. It was obviously either BBC or ITV and in black and white. I don't suppose you know if it's still possible to see it anywhere? I guess it might have been deleted.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2020 19:14]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Liverpool win it. on 17:36 - Jun 26 with 867 views1teeminants

Nick why would fans of clubs like ours show any admiration At all for clubs like Liverpool , Chelsea City etc who just buy success ? What’s clever about that ffs ? Fans of clubs like ours are sick to death of seeing it year in Year out, there’s nothing clever about it .Ok Liverpool took a long time to win it again but they’ve won other silverware by buying success and nicking our players .

As many have pointed out we would have more passionate fans if we had won a few things instead of having our team ripped apart year after year surely saints fans are the passionate ones for sticking with it . I, yourself and many others buy season tickets every year and I know Iv e been going since 1970 like you, we know we won’t win anything but we still go home and away . Does that make us less passionate than Liverpool fans ? If they reversed the roles they would be nowhere near as gobby or as passionate as you make them out to be .

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Liverpool win it. on 17:46 - Jun 26 with 846 viewsBoris_

Liverpool win it. on 15:51 - Jun 26 by Saintsforeverj

Exactly. It's rediculous saying look how passionate they are when they have just won the PL title, after also winning the champions league and other cups. We would be as crazy and as passionate as any club.

Indeed. I'd say it's far more passionate to stick by a team from the age of 5 to 40 years old that has never won a single major trophy than it is supporting a team that wins trophies or challenges for them every single season.

Liverpool win it. on 18:11 - Jun 26 with 843 viewsarfurdent

you'll never walk alone with a covid spike

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

Liverpool win it. on 18:24 - Jun 26 with 838 viewssolent_toffee

Liverpool win it. on 18:11 - Jun 26 by arfurdent

you'll never walk alone with a covid spike

One of the concerns raised when discussing restart was the possibility of mass gatherings when Liverpool won the title. The Liverpool Mayor was rinsed over this, called a bitter blue etc and was assured that the best fans in the world wouldn’t do so and would celebrate at home.

Never going to happen.

Of course they were all out last night (don’t blame them, I’d probably do the same if Everton won the league) and as we speak there is a big party going on at the Pier Head.

I don’t actually blame fans just the naivety of the authority’s to think it wouldn’t happen.
Liverpool win it. on 18:49 - Jun 26 with 823 viewsChesham_Saint

Liverpool win it. on 18:24 - Jun 26 by solent_toffee

One of the concerns raised when discussing restart was the possibility of mass gatherings when Liverpool won the title. The Liverpool Mayor was rinsed over this, called a bitter blue etc and was assured that the best fans in the world wouldn’t do so and would celebrate at home.

Never going to happen.

Of course they were all out last night (don’t blame them, I’d probably do the same if Everton won the league) and as we speak there is a big party going on at the Pier Head.

I don’t actually blame fans just the naivety of the authority’s to think it wouldn’t happen.

Surely it’s a win-win situation for those lovely chipper “it Means More” fans?

They get to celebrate together, then if they all get Covid they can all feel sorry for themselves. Again.

One catch though, this time there’s no-one else to blame...(Hillsbrough excluded).

Liverpool win it. on 19:09 - Jun 26 with 810 viewsdirk_doone

Liverpool win it. on 16:40 - Jun 26 by dirk_doone

Something for you to celebrate: the 50th anniversary.

I remember seeing this team at the Dell:

I've been looking for a 1960s TV programme about a group of Everton fans who used to travel to away games in the back of a big removals lorry but I can't find it anywhere online. It was one of the best documentaries ever about football fans. It was obviously either BBC or ITV and in black and white. I don't suppose you know if it's still possible to see it anywhere? I guess it might have been deleted.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2020 19:14]

Found it. No wonder it was good: it was directed by Ken Loach:

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Liverpool win it. on 19:11 - Jun 26 with 808 viewssolent_toffee

Liverpool win it. on 19:09 - Jun 26 by dirk_doone

Found it. No wonder it was good: it was directed by Ken Loach:

Nice one, thanks for that - Saturday’s viewing sorted out!!
Liverpool win it. on 19:15 - Jun 26 with 806 viewssolent_toffee

Liverpool win it. on 18:49 - Jun 26 by Chesham_Saint

Surely it’s a win-win situation for those lovely chipper “it Means More” fans?

They get to celebrate together, then if they all get Covid they can all feel sorry for themselves. Again.

One catch though, this time there’s no-one else to blame...(Hillsbrough excluded).

A few weeks ago they were (rightly) blaming UEFA for allowing the CL game against Madrid and how it has led to many Covid-19 deaths. The Spanish media are having a field day at the current scenes (I’ve just been sent a news clip).

But as you say, it means more.
Liverpool win it. on 21:20 - Jun 26 with 764 viewsBlue

" travelled all over the country and Europe for years through thick and thin"

Yeah, let's talk about those european trips, Nick.

One of which resulted in my team not being able to play in UEFA competitions for two years.

Fk liverpool football club and fk anybody who chose them 'because they werre the best' and live anywhere but L4 but buy a replica shirt once every 4 years, fk that stupid pr1ck that fell off the ladder wearing a mankini in liverpool last night, fk that kn0bhead 50+ year old plastic 'FKW' that waited for City's coach to leave Stamford Bridge last night, holding up a miniature cardboard premier league trophy.

Oh and fk the w@nkers at skysports and BT sports, whose nauseating coverage makes everyone want to watch the game without commentary, fk every last one of these b1tches.

They hadn't won a title since the backpass rule was scrapped, they needed VAR to get another.

A title (although deserved), forever marked by a huge asterisk.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2020 21:23]

Still stood in the Kippax

Liverpool win it. on 22:16 - Jun 26 with 729 viewscocklebreath

Liverpool win it. on 15:51 - Jun 26 by Saintsforeverj

Yep we would, Nick has a slightly mental opinion of Liverpool.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Liverpool win it. on 22:30 - Jun 26 with 722 viewscocklebreath

Watching bbc news and showing thousands of Liverpool fans celebrating, not one mention of mass gatherings not allowed, they couldn’t get enough of Bournemouth beach yesterday, cockf@ckers

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Liverpool win it. on 22:55 - Jun 26 with 696 viewssolent_toffee

Liverpool win it. on 22:30 - Jun 26 by cocklebreath

Watching bbc news and showing thousands of Liverpool fans celebrating, not one mention of mass gatherings not allowed, they couldn’t get enough of Bournemouth beach yesterday, cockf@ckers

https://mobile.twitter.com/lpoolcouncil/status/1276618023907008512?ref_src=twsrc
Liverpool win it. on 23:10 - Jun 26 with 684 viewsSaintsforeverj

Liverpool win it. on 17:36 - Jun 26 by 1teeminants

Nick why would fans of clubs like ours show any admiration At all for clubs like Liverpool , Chelsea City etc who just buy success ? What’s clever about that ffs ? Fans of clubs like ours are sick to death of seeing it year in Year out, there’s nothing clever about it .Ok Liverpool took a long time to win it again but they’ve won other silverware by buying success and nicking our players .

As many have pointed out we would have more passionate fans if we had won a few things instead of having our team ripped apart year after year surely saints fans are the passionate ones for sticking with it . I, yourself and many others buy season tickets every year and I know Iv e been going since 1970 like you, we know we won’t win anything but we still go home and away . Does that make us less passionate than Liverpool fans ? If they reversed the roles they would be nowhere near as gobby or as passionate as you make them out to be .

Agreed. After watching all these big clubs with all the money, take all our best players and managers year after year, I really don't want to hear how passionate their fans are to be honest.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2020 23:11]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024