Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"You can tell Pierre-Emile Hjobjerg is a man of principle" 22:03 - Aug 13 with 2802 viewsArchersRoad

I can't remember the last time I laughed so much at an opening line in an article

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2020/august/new-signing-hojbjerg-i-feel-lu

Any more cracking first liners out there?
(No subject) on 22:18 - Aug 13 with 2774 viewsChesham_Saint

To be fair that would be more hilarious if it had been about Van Dyke. As it happens I’d class Hojbjerg as a “good leaver” - he didn’t go on strike or throw his toys out of the pram. He wanted to go but still made himself available (as any pro should). I wish him well, but Tottenham? Not so much.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

(No subject) on 22:27 - Aug 13 with 2742 viewsSaintsforeverj

(No subject) on 22:18 - Aug 13 by Chesham_Saint

To be fair that would be more hilarious if it had been about Van Dyke. As it happens I’d class Hojbjerg as a “good leaver” - he didn’t go on strike or throw his toys out of the pram. He wanted to go but still made himself available (as any pro should). I wish him well, but Tottenham? Not so much.

Would he have thrown his toys out of the pram, had we said no to Spurs? I suspect there was pressure from Hojbjerg, that he must be sold to Spurs only, even if the price was terrible. I also don't like a player that kisses the badge, then says the club is far too small for him. Totally false right? Man of principle = kiss the badge and declare everlasting love for club that is far too small. I could never win a trophy at my beloved Saints so I join Spurs. I will win things there. Ha yeah right.

But yes in comparison to the VD situation it wasn't as bad. But remember VD was told no. Hojbjerg was told yes. Ward-Prowse, Redmond, Ings aren't all demanding moves. Personally, I don't have much time for Hojbjerg, calling our club small and saying he would never win things here.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 22:37]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

(No subject) on 23:02 - Aug 13 with 2655 viewsgrumpy

(No subject) on 22:27 - Aug 13 by Saintsforeverj

Would he have thrown his toys out of the pram, had we said no to Spurs? I suspect there was pressure from Hojbjerg, that he must be sold to Spurs only, even if the price was terrible. I also don't like a player that kisses the badge, then says the club is far too small for him. Totally false right? Man of principle = kiss the badge and declare everlasting love for club that is far too small. I could never win a trophy at my beloved Saints so I join Spurs. I will win things there. Ha yeah right.

But yes in comparison to the VD situation it wasn't as bad. But remember VD was told no. Hojbjerg was told yes. Ward-Prowse, Redmond, Ings aren't all demanding moves. Personally, I don't have much time for Hojbjerg, calling our club small and saying he would never win things here.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 22:37]

Wasn't his job to help us win things?
I became a very good player at Southampton' Really!!!
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 23:06]
(No subject) on 23:06 - Aug 13 with 2634 viewsSaintsforeverj

(No subject) on 23:02 - Aug 13 by grumpy

Wasn't his job to help us win things?
I became a very good player at Southampton' Really!!!
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 23:06]

Exactly. He kisses the badge, so stay here and help the Saints win things. Instead of going to the "mighty" Spurs. I will predict that he will win nothing there. As it happens, I'm glad he has gone. He isn't very good.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 23:07]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

"You can tell Pierre-Emile Hjobjerg is a man of principle" on 23:26 - Aug 13 with 2607 viewsA1079

I take a phlegmatic view on this and I don't have any particular animosity towards Hojberg or anyone who may feel that they wish to progress their career elsewhere because footballers like most of us probably make decisions based on where they feel their opportunity best sits for increasing their earnings, their security and long term prosperity for their family etc. In my 40 odd years of work, I moved jobs etc some because I thought it was the right thing to do and sometimes I did not have a choice (e.g redundancy, outsourcing etc)

There is a matter of dignity and leaving an employer in the right way and vice versa.

It is possible that Hojberg may have behaved differently if his request to leave had been refused, but we don't know. I wish him well and thank him for the services he provided. He was not a bad player but equally he was not spectacular. I don't think he will last long in my personal memory even though I always felt he was committed for the most part. He has moved on and we move on. I just hope when we play Spurs we focus on beating Spurs and not spending a game pouring out some pointless bile at an ex-player which in our case has rarely served us well.
"You can tell Pierre-Emile Hjobjerg is a man of principle" on 23:30 - Aug 13 with 2596 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

For me, he's yet another ex Saints players who did a reasonable job in the same way that Jermaine Wright did.

I don't "hate" the guy for moving, I genuinely don't care, he's moved on and is getting the attention he obviously wanted in doing so. Good luck to him, he'll need it with Mourinho.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

"You can tell Pierre-Emile Hjobjerg is a man of principle" on 23:39 - Aug 13 with 2586 viewskernow

His principal principle is the further betterment of the principle of his career principally.
Pas problem with Pierre's principal principle.
"You can tell Pierre-Emile Hjobjerg is a man of principle" on 08:00 - Aug 14 with 2472 viewskingslandstand1

Well he may actually get some game time now with talk that Man City are putting a £40m bid in for Harry Winks
Login to get fewer ads

"You can tell Pierre-Emile Hjobjerg is a man of principle" on 08:45 - Aug 14 with 2430 viewsPatfromPoole

"You can tell Pierre-Emile Hjobjerg is a man of principle" on 23:30 - Aug 13 by Gennaro_Contaldo

For me, he's yet another ex Saints players who did a reasonable job in the same way that Jermaine Wright did.

I don't "hate" the guy for moving, I genuinely don't care, he's moved on and is getting the attention he obviously wanted in doing so. Good luck to him, he'll need it with Mourinho.

He was a whole lot better than Jermaine Wright, sir.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

"You can tell Pierre-Emile Hjobjerg is a man of principle" on 08:48 - Aug 14 with 2428 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

"You can tell Pierre-Emile Hjobjerg is a man of principle" on 08:45 - Aug 14 by PatfromPoole

He was a whole lot better than Jermaine Wright, sir.

That's my point, sorry, poorly explained. He may as well have been ANY player; he played, he left, he's gone, transient ...

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

"You can tell Pierre-Emile Hjobjerg is a man of principle" on 09:47 - Aug 14 with 2372 viewsKennington

It just shows how much of a decline Spurs are currently on. He’s hardly done that well for us. He’s a 5 or 6 out of 10 man. In other words a mediocre mid table player. If he goes on and does well there’s no reason to suggest he could have replicated that with us.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

(No subject) on 09:53 - Aug 14 with 2363 viewsChesham_Saint

"You can tell Pierre-Emile Hjobjerg is a man of principle" on 09:47 - Aug 14 by Kennington

It just shows how much of a decline Spurs are currently on. He’s hardly done that well for us. He’s a 5 or 6 out of 10 man. In other words a mediocre mid table player. If he goes on and does well there’s no reason to suggest he could have replicated that with us.

Someone made the point on another thread about them (Spurs) being screwed by Covid as they can’t let out their shiny new ground for American Football and consequently their budgeting is royally fvcked. Such a shame. Hence the need for journeyman players like PEH?

"You can tell Pierre-Emile Hjobjerg is a man of principle" on 12:06 - Aug 14 with 2302 viewsRon11

Two of his comments -
'I had a kid a while ago' - nothing to do with your wife then.
'I became a very good player at Southampton' - but couldn't pass the ball or shoot properly.
Well rid.
"You can tell Pierre-Emile Hjobjerg is a man of principle" on 14:14 - Aug 14 with 2246 viewskingslandstand1

"You can tell Pierre-Emile Hjobjerg is a man of principle" on 12:06 - Aug 14 by Ron11

Two of his comments -
'I had a kid a while ago' - nothing to do with your wife then.
'I became a very good player at Southampton' - but couldn't pass the ball or shoot properly.
Well rid.

Based on the abuse PEH is getting on here I hope for our sake he has a mare. Imaging the stick we would get if he actually does start performing and they end up saying how they nicked him for a pittance

But I also remember when KWP arrived the comments from Sours fans was that he's not bad, but can't defend as if they were expecting us not to play him that much and would just send him straight back. In today's market 12 mill isn't too bad to take that risk!

Time will tell for both players
"You can tell Pierre-Emile Hjobjerg is a man of principle" on 14:29 - Aug 14 with 2241 viewsKennington

"You can tell Pierre-Emile Hjobjerg is a man of principle" on 14:14 - Aug 14 by kingslandstand1

Based on the abuse PEH is getting on here I hope for our sake he has a mare. Imaging the stick we would get if he actually does start performing and they end up saying how they nicked him for a pittance

But I also remember when KWP arrived the comments from Sours fans was that he's not bad, but can't defend as if they were expecting us not to play him that much and would just send him straight back. In today's market 12 mill isn't too bad to take that risk!

As in my comment above, there’s nothing to suggest if he’d stayed he’d have upped his form. He was with us for a while and was ok. He might well improve as if we’re honest he’ll be playing and training with a higher standard of player. Will that make him better? Maybe. But if he’d stayed it would more than likely have been more of the same. He’ll also have more competition to start games where at Saints he was for a while first name as captain on the team sheet.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

(No subject) on 14:36 - Aug 14 with 2235 viewsChesham_Saint

"You can tell Pierre-Emile Hjobjerg is a man of principle" on 14:14 - Aug 14 by kingslandstand1

He’s not just getting stick. He’s had praise too. It’s just that he’s not the Messiah (as some spurs fans seem to be thinking) but he’s also not a very naughty boy either.

"You can tell Pierre-Emile Hjobjerg is a man of principle" on 15:49 - Aug 14 with 2207 viewsSadoldgit

Hoj may be a man of principle, but that won’t stand him in good stead if he fails to be the missing link that Jose believes him to be. If he sticks to his strengths he might just get away with it but if the Spurs fans are expecting the second coming of Glen Hoddle they will be sadly disappointed.
"You can tell Pierre-Emile Hjobjerg is a man of principle" on 17:33 - Aug 14 with 2148 viewskingslandstand1

"You can tell Pierre-Emile Hjobjerg is a man of principle" on 14:29 - Aug 14 by Kennington

As in my comment above, there’s nothing to suggest if he’d stayed he’d have upped his form. He was with us for a while and was ok. He might well improve as if we’re honest he’ll be playing and training with a higher standard of player. Will that make him better? Maybe. But if he’d stayed it would more than likely have been more of the same. He’ll also have more competition to start games where at Saints he was for a while first name as captain on the team sheet.

That last point is very valid. He will have competition and as I was inferring, he'd been here 4 years, not outstanding but may well improve with the NLY's and also working with Moanhio could help him

It could well be he'd have just got stale staying here (if he wasn't already). I just hope he doesn't get dogs when (if) he gets to play down here in front of a crowd as seems to happen when most leave
"You can tell Pierre-Emile Hjobjerg is a man of principle" on 22:05 - Aug 15 with 1871 viewssaintmary5

In truth Kyle Walker-Peters more then makes up for false man of principal stuff. Beyond question we got better deal and can’t wait for next season!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024