Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Home or office 16:15 - Aug 28 with 3614 viewskingslandstand1

As it is now going to be the subject of a government campaign to get you back in the office I just wondered what people's views are, and then what are they actually going to do?

I always have shared between office and home anyway before all this ongoing stuff so I've just carried on as normal

Although certainly feel for the ancillary businesses (sandwich shop type places) that are undoubtedly suffering because majority are going to carry on working from home, but should one business expend vast amounts on larger office spaces, commuting costs etc to support these other businesses that rely on them

My main issue is the social interaction side that workers must miss being on their own all day and the mental effect that may have on them

Difficult one
Home or office on 15:48 - Aug 30 with 1150 viewsBoris_

Home or office on 15:21 - Aug 30 by Butty101

The company I work for have delivered software features without to much disruption, over the last few months. It has been worked out that efficiently is at about 92% compared to the office.

Someone else mentioned about office workers being made unemployed and the jobs shipped abroad. I don’t see this happening. Company’s already have that option of moving work to India, in my experience you pay for what you get quality wise

There are other places that are cropping up now for outsourcing instead of India. South Africa in particular is one place that is developing outsourced call centres and can offer every bit as good customer service as UK Call Centers and South Africans tend to be far better at sales than Brits.

For Call Center and Insurance related jobs, I can definitely see companies looking to outsource should working from home becoming the norm and the advantage of having managed office staff no longer being there.

Poll: Claude Puel

Home or office on 22:12 - Aug 30 with 1082 viewsRon11

Home or office on 16:48 - Aug 28 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Home, no question. Absolutely no need to go to an office. We've created AND launched two brand new products whilst at home - showing it can be done and everyone is more productive.

No time wasted commuting. We discussed this at work and most people agreed 1-2 days in the office was fine and perhaps 3 days on occasion when needed. But there is no reason to waste time and money travelling around. I know I'm less productive in the office.

And I have no sympathy for places like Pret who charge a f**king fortune for a sh*t soup and basic sandwich.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2020 16:49]

And no sympathy either for South Western Railways with their shitty standing room only commuter trains with one or no working toilet.
Home or office on 22:28 - Aug 30 with 1068 viewsRon11

Home or office on 08:31 - Aug 29 by DorsetIan

Speaking as someone who has worked from home for years now...

1. watch your weight folks. I can go a whole day walking only a few hundred yards if I want to. Try to get out for a walk even if you don’t have anywhere to go.

2. it is possible to be very productive at home with no open plan noise to deal with but equally there are others distractions and a quick 2mins to look at TUI can turn into half an hour with no colleague looking over your shoulder. I recommend one of those internet time management things to keep a lid on that.

3. I need the interaction of calls and zooms with colleagues and clients, a whole day staring at a screen can be very isolating.

4. I am not sure where all this is going sociologically. If we are not going to work, getting everything delivered and if town centres are going to decline - where are we going to get our social interaction, meet new people, just be in the world? Maybe Thatcher will turn out to be right. No such thing as society, just individuals and families in their bubbles. Could become very distopian .

This
Home or office on 22:34 - Aug 30 with 1068 viewsdarthvader

Home or office on 17:40 - Aug 28 by kingslandstand1

The likes of the Pret, Costa, SBucks etc, agree couldn't give a monkeys about too much from a corporate side but then they couldn't give a monkeys about the staff they then throw on the heap. Do feel a bit about those, as some of them actually speak English. It's the small sandwich shop that really suffer, but if they have any savvy they will have to deviate their business in some way as other companies do when times change

And working from home certainly gives you more freedom and work/life balance providing you don't take the pi55 out of the company

And with less commuting that will no doubt please all of these tw@ts that are going to be out this weekend causing serious disruption to the ordinary man in the street on a Bank Holiday weekend - but don't get me going on them ................

No go on do... Please do. I enjoy reading ur rants

keep the faith coyr

Home or office on 08:13 - Aug 31 with 1025 viewssolent_toffee

Home or office on 17:32 - Aug 29 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Some interesting thoughts on this thread. As I've said, for me and my company, we've personally done brilliantly in launching new products AND we have interviewed remotely and hired at least 10 people.

I don't miss 3 hours commuting or the £7k a year it costs, although I do miss a friendly Wints on the train occasionally ;)

For me as I said, I think 2 days back in the office will be fine, for key meetings and to give the odd person some encouragement face to face. Plus, I would actually like to meet my own 2 new hires I've made in the last 4 months in person!!

Having said that, I think those that have suffered more are the younger people we have who live on their own. Some of them prefer the office interaction.

Our office is actually closed until 2021 but when we reopen, I expect it to be totally about choice. There are those that want to go in 4-5 days a week and those like me that would e happy doing just 2 days a week in the office. My main motivation is family - when commuting if I get home at 1930, I get to say goodnight to my son and that's it. Now I can wrap up at 1800, have dinner, play, read stories and spend far more time with him. THAT is the main motivator for me personally. When he's a teenager and wants to stay in his room and ignore me, fine, I'll commute again. Maybe.

Like you, I’ve worked from home for years now and have a work from home contract. But that’s just where I carry out my ‘back’ office duties, planning, writing reports, analysing data etc. The quality part of the job is getting out, delivering working across our network and seeing ‘what’s what’. This is impossible to do from home.

As others have said, there can be little opportunity for development when working from home. A five minute conversation in an office can save a hell of a long time when working from home.

As someone else has said, it’s going to be hard for new starters in a company to crack on if they have to ask questions on a zoom/call every five minutes that would be much easier to do if you are sharing an office.

Again as others have said, Mental health is important and not interacting with people for months on end in work can be detrimental and ultimately productivity will decrease as motivation descreases.

In short, if you get paid to go work, go to work.
Home or office on 08:30 - Aug 31 with 1021 viewsKennington

Home or office on 08:13 - Aug 31 by solent_toffee

Like you, I’ve worked from home for years now and have a work from home contract. But that’s just where I carry out my ‘back’ office duties, planning, writing reports, analysing data etc. The quality part of the job is getting out, delivering working across our network and seeing ‘what’s what’. This is impossible to do from home.

As others have said, there can be little opportunity for development when working from home. A five minute conversation in an office can save a hell of a long time when working from home.

As someone else has said, it’s going to be hard for new starters in a company to crack on if they have to ask questions on a zoom/call every five minutes that would be much easier to do if you are sharing an office.

Again as others have said, Mental health is important and not interacting with people for months on end in work can be detrimental and ultimately productivity will decrease as motivation descreases.

In short, if you get paid to go work, go to work.

You’re looking at work with a very rigid outlook. I was in Bali last year and out of curiosity went to the shared workspaces that they have to offer. What you’d have seen is dozens of 20 and 30 somethings from around the world working in the same place either for themselves or for other companies. Had a coffee with a couple of them to learn more and they seemed to love the idea of being able to live and work wherever they liked. Why if that works for them, should they be constricted to having to spend most of their wage in rent to go to an office somewhere like Hoxton.It just makes perfect sense to me that work should be flexible. Working out of the conventional office space doesn’t have to mean sitting in your living room with Bargain Hunt on in the background.

That written the same rules should apply that if you’re not performing then you’re turfed out. I don’t though equate working remotely/from home as leading to poorer outcomes, I’d argue the opposite.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Home or office on 09:49 - Aug 31 with 990 viewskentsouthampton

Times change,covid has accelerated that change,you can either embrace it and make the most of it or cry like a baby about it on a mong board.
Home or office on 10:30 - Aug 31 with 981 viewskentsouthampton

Moot point now, the government have just performed yet another U turn and are saying people can carry on working from home.
They want to see a gradual return to work where it's safe to do so.
Good old Dom's focus groups.
Login to get fewer ads

Home or office on 11:12 - Aug 31 with 964 viewsSadoldgit

Companies are going to have to cut overheads and for many that will mean downsizing both staff and commercial premises. As for the economic effect of the pandemic, this is just the tip of the iceberg. For those who are given a choice, it will work out well. Many will not have a choice though and will be lucky to keep a job. We are in for a very rocky couple of years but when it all finally settles down life will be very different for a great many people.
Home or office on 17:32 - Aug 31 with 902 viewsBoris_

Home or office on 10:30 - Aug 31 by kentsouthampton

Moot point now, the government have just performed yet another U turn and are saying people can carry on working from home.
They want to see a gradual return to work where it's safe to do so.
Good old Dom's focus groups.

Are your children out of prison yet?

Poll: Claude Puel

Home or office on 18:35 - Sep 4 with 756 viewskentsouthampton

Five places to wear your mask to rile up the gammons
4th August 2020

EVERYONE’S wearing masks now, but do you want to raise the blood pressure of gammons even more? These five locations should outrage the already red-faced:

Pub beer garden

A double whammy of overstepping government guidelines: not only are you in the pub, which Rishi Sunak has declared a virus-free zone, but you’re outside. Any anti-snowflakes seeing you will be bloody outraged, not that their side gets outraged, it’s the liberals always being outraged, etc.

Video call

You might not physically be there with Gary from client services, but you won’t be taking any chances. Slip the mask over your face as soon as he joins the call and by 5pm you’ll be the talk of the most disgruntled people in your workplace.
A World War Two reenactment day

The only thing gammons love more than sneering at lefties is passing the day with some manly tanks. Make sure you laboriously sanitise your hands after contact with anything from the past and are overheard saying “Churchill would have worn a mask”.

Britain First rally

Turning up in a town-centre to shout incoherently about ‘protecting history’ is an experience that can be enhanced by doing all of those things in a medical-grade face mask. Everyone’s covering their faces but you’re… doing it wrong! Guaranteed to cause a cerebral aneurysm.

Their house

If you absolutely must visit your bigoted uncle, be sure to double-mask, wear gloves and drape yourself in some plastic sheeting. Pick up your cup of tea with metal tongs and thoroughly disinfect the biscuits. Stress that there is no obligation for him to wear a mask if he doesn’t want to and that above all, you respect his bravery.
Home or office on 22:47 - Sep 4 with 718 viewsBicester_North

Home or office on 18:35 - Sep 4 by kentsouthampton

Five places to wear your mask to rile up the gammons
4th August 2020

EVERYONE’S wearing masks now, but do you want to raise the blood pressure of gammons even more? These five locations should outrage the already red-faced:

Pub beer garden

A double whammy of overstepping government guidelines: not only are you in the pub, which Rishi Sunak has declared a virus-free zone, but you’re outside. Any anti-snowflakes seeing you will be bloody outraged, not that their side gets outraged, it’s the liberals always being outraged, etc.

Video call

You might not physically be there with Gary from client services, but you won’t be taking any chances. Slip the mask over your face as soon as he joins the call and by 5pm you’ll be the talk of the most disgruntled people in your workplace.
A World War Two reenactment day

The only thing gammons love more than sneering at lefties is passing the day with some manly tanks. Make sure you laboriously sanitise your hands after contact with anything from the past and are overheard saying “Churchill would have worn a mask”.

Britain First rally

Turning up in a town-centre to shout incoherently about ‘protecting history’ is an experience that can be enhanced by doing all of those things in a medical-grade face mask. Everyone’s covering their faces but you’re… doing it wrong! Guaranteed to cause a cerebral aneurysm.

Their house

If you absolutely must visit your bigoted uncle, be sure to double-mask, wear gloves and drape yourself in some plastic sheeting. Pick up your cup of tea with metal tongs and thoroughly disinfect the biscuits. Stress that there is no obligation for him to wear a mask if he doesn’t want to and that above all, you respect his bravery.

Hucksake. Still throwing bricks at homeless kids and mocking the disabled?

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024