Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale 00:30 - Dec 11 with 20170 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/news/53624/match-preview-peterbo

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 18:06 - Dec 12 with 2370 viewsmilnrowblue

Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 17:42 - Dec 12 by D_Alien

20th and hanging on above the drop zone by the merest thread, whilst at least some of the teams who started the season badly are picking up form. We appear incapable of changing in response to reality

BBM unfortunately appears to be in denial, at least in public, but what he says he's seeing isn't helping the fanbase (who don't take kindly to bullshit) or giving us much hope

He's got some credit still in the bank with many of us, mainly due to some rousing cup performances and a few league games where we played more directly without giving up on the footballing philosophy he espouses. But he needs to take greater care with what he's telling us he's seeing, and any improvement will only happen with greater honesty on his part

As for us, we've got absolutely no illusions about the task he faces - any Dale manager faces. We've got Wigan on Tuesday, and it could prove to be a pivotal game one way or the other. That's where i stand right now, and want to see a reaction from the manager that gives us something to hang onto during these dark days

[Post edited 12 Dec 2020 18:36]

I appreciate the points you’ve made and do agree that BBM is stubborn in his ways.

However I think a lot of it comes down to what he has to work with. We “apparently” turned down investment from Dan Altman and his backer earlier this year for reasons that I can only fathom of l
“We didn’t want to give up control of the club”.

Given backing from a source like Altman, who’s analytic firm is somewhat taking off, would BBM be given not only a financial backing, but a backing that would find him better better players than, absolutely no disrespect, non-league players Beesley and Newby and also Bola? BBM obviously has a style that the board are happy with, but are the board willing to find some investment to compensate that?
Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 18:08 - Dec 12 with 2360 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 18:04 - Dec 12 by 442Dale

How can we be surprised by the intensity of a team who hammered us 6-0 last season and who are well-known for being high scorers?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 18:08 - Dec 12 with 2362 views442Dale

That interview was refreshing actually. Aided by the simple line of questioning.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 18:10 - Dec 12 with 2348 viewsIOMDale

That interview has actually cheered me up a little. I don’t doubt BBM’s passion for a second but you could actually see how upset he was with that performance; I’ve no doubt that he went ballistic at HT.

Over to the players to come up with a good response on Tuesday. God knows we need one.

UTDNFS

Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 18:11 - Dec 12 with 2338 viewsChaffRAFC

Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 16:50 - Dec 12 by Barrowdale

Baah on with 2 left. Brilliant
Time to retire Brian

Marked up by mistake, meant to mark down!!

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 18:11 - Dec 12 with 2337 viewsIOMDale

Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 18:08 - Dec 12 by TVOS1907

How can we be surprised by the intensity of a team who hammered us 6-0 last season and who are well-known for being high scorers?

BBM did insinuate that it was the players and not himself who were surprised. Good to see him not protecting them.

UTDNFS

Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 18:19 - Dec 12 with 2267 viewsNigeriamark

Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 17:42 - Dec 12 by D_Alien

20th and hanging on above the drop zone by the merest thread, whilst at least some of the teams who started the season badly are picking up form. We appear incapable of changing in response to reality

BBM unfortunately appears to be in denial, at least in public, but what he says he's seeing isn't helping the fanbase (who don't take kindly to bullshit) or giving us much hope

He's got some credit still in the bank with many of us, mainly due to some rousing cup performances and a few league games where we played more directly without giving up on the footballing philosophy he espouses. But he needs to take greater care with what he's telling us he's seeing, and any improvement will only happen with greater honesty on his part

As for us, we've got absolutely no illusions about the task he faces - any Dale manager faces. We've got Wigan on Tuesday, and it could prove to be a pivotal game one way or the other. That's where i stand right now, and want to see a reaction from the manager that gives us something to hang onto during these dark days

[Post edited 12 Dec 2020 18:36]

Next 5 games before a 10 day break against the teams 11th 12th 13th 17th and 23rd. No great teams there but all teams who can beat us too. We'll know a lot more about how the season will go after those & then the transfer window is open. If it's a genuinely bad run up to then a lot of his credit may run out with the fans, but potentially the board too. Will they want to give him the transfer window or will they go for someone experienced?

He is in credit with me at the moment but no wins in these next 5, and the way we play will make me certainly ask some questions. 10 days break after the MK game gives a new man the chance to come in and take time to prepare signings, take training etc. BBM may be on dodgy ground if he doesn't produce in the next 3 weeks
Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 18:21 - Dec 12 with 2264 viewsJames1980

Lincoln 7
Northampton 6
Wimbledon 3
Salford 3
Stockport 8
Oxford 3
Number of jobs each of those teams managers have had, I think we sometimes forget our gaffer is in his first job as Head coach/manager. On reflection I think he is doing an alright job considering.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale (n/t) on 18:38 - Dec 12 with 2182 viewsHopwoodblue

Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 18:21 - Dec 12 by James1980

Lincoln 7
Northampton 6
Wimbledon 3
Salford 3
Stockport 8
Oxford 3
Number of jobs each of those teams managers have had, I think we sometimes forget our gaffer is in his first job as Head coach/manager. On reflection I think he is doing an alright job considering.

BBM needs to bite the bullet and play simple straight forward football.
Please don’t put yourself before the club Brian by persisting with your ideals, we all know the players we have are not good enough to play this kind of football.
Change it now before it’s to late and you get us relegated.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2020 18:44]

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 18:42 - Dec 12 with 2164 viewsblackdogblue

Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 18:21 - Dec 12 by James1980

Lincoln 7
Northampton 6
Wimbledon 3
Salford 3
Stockport 8
Oxford 3

You in tier one? 🤣

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 18:51 - Dec 12 with 2114 viewsrich_dale

Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 18:11 - Dec 12 by IOMDale

BBM did insinuate that it was the players and not himself who were surprised. Good to see him not protecting them.

It's a well-known football mantra that you play for territory early on in games, particularly away from home against a good team (that's even before you factor in what happened here last season). That means no messing about trying to play short passes in tight situations in your own half, which we did once and got with away with it, then again a couple of minutes later, which led to the penalty. You have to wonder how strongly that was communicated to the players. Yes, Peterborough have better players and a bigger budget, but we gifted them the initiative in the first five minutes.
Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 18:54 - Dec 12 with 2098 viewsIOMDale

Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 18:51 - Dec 12 by rich_dale

It's a well-known football mantra that you play for territory early on in games, particularly away from home against a good team (that's even before you factor in what happened here last season). That means no messing about trying to play short passes in tight situations in your own half, which we did once and got with away with it, then again a couple of minutes later, which led to the penalty. You have to wonder how strongly that was communicated to the players. Yes, Peterborough have better players and a bigger budget, but we gifted them the initiative in the first five minutes.

I’d suggest we’re at the stage where playing like that is now second nature for the players - at least in terms of attempting it, if not executing it successfully.

For that, I agree that BBM does deserve blame as the style is his to dictate alone. It’s been mentioned countless times in recent weeks but it’s imperative that we develop and become comfortable with a more direct style of play; as least as an alternative, if nothing else.

UTDNFS

Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 19:04 - Dec 12 with 2067 viewsBillyRudd

Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 18:06 - Dec 12 by milnrowblue

I appreciate the points you’ve made and do agree that BBM is stubborn in his ways.

However I think a lot of it comes down to what he has to work with. We “apparently” turned down investment from Dan Altman and his backer earlier this year for reasons that I can only fathom of l

Given backing from a source like Altman, who’s analytic firm is somewhat taking off, would BBM be given not only a financial backing, but a backing that would find him better better players than, absolutely no disrespect, non-league players Beesley and Newby and also Bola? BBM obviously has a style that the board are happy with, but are the board willing to find some investment to compensate that?

I wish I had your optimism Milnrow. Unfortunately at this stage of the season the table does,nt lie and unless we see changes then its Lge 2 football next season.
Whether those changes are style of play, managerial, or players in a transfer window is the big debate. I would hazard that style of play is the obvious and cheapest option at the moment.
If it is patently obvious to Posh commentators and most who contribute to this forum I doubt that it is obvious at all that the board are happy with it. If they are then I suggest we are in even bigger trouble than presumed.
Evolution dictates that it is not the weakest that are doomed to failure but the ones that are unable or more relevant here, unwilling, to adapt to changing circumstances and alas in terms of performance we are in Groundhog territory. In that respect the Plymouth result did us no long term favours
Regarding Altman and the application of analytics I,m guessing that if they did gain control their application would see BBM,s tenure being short.
Two smaller points. For the first 20 minutes ROW Z is a better strategy than fannying about, short passing deep in your own half and also if you are trailing by 3 goals then make 4 subs with enough time to possibly influence the outcome. BBM will never achieve a massive comeback in his career with the thinking he showed today. 87th minute subs at 4-1 is a waste of washing powder.
Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 19:04 - Dec 12 with 2064 viewsrich_dale

Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 18:54 - Dec 12 by IOMDale

I’d suggest we’re at the stage where playing like that is now second nature for the players - at least in terms of attempting it, if not executing it successfully.

For that, I agree that BBM does deserve blame as the style is his to dictate alone. It’s been mentioned countless times in recent weeks but it’s imperative that we develop and become comfortable with a more direct style of play; as least as an alternative, if nothing else.

Totally agree. It is possible to mix it up and have different styles. The basic principle applies of there being a time and place to play in a certain way, and a time and a place when you shouldn't. First 10 mins away at Peterborough, you definitely don't play like we did today. Playing football in non-footballing areas. Away at Wimbledon last year was another example, 3-0 down after half an hour. Seems we never learn.
Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 19:10 - Dec 12 with 2040 views1907

Is it me or does he seem angry?
Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 19:12 - Dec 12 with 2024 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 19:04 - Dec 12 by BillyRudd

I wish I had your optimism Milnrow. Unfortunately at this stage of the season the table does,nt lie and unless we see changes then its Lge 2 football next season.
Whether those changes are style of play, managerial, or players in a transfer window is the big debate. I would hazard that style of play is the obvious and cheapest option at the moment.
If it is patently obvious to Posh commentators and most who contribute to this forum I doubt that it is obvious at all that the board are happy with it. If they are then I suggest we are in even bigger trouble than presumed.
Evolution dictates that it is not the weakest that are doomed to failure but the ones that are unable or more relevant here, unwilling, to adapt to changing circumstances and alas in terms of performance we are in Groundhog territory. In that respect the Plymouth result did us no long term favours
Regarding Altman and the application of analytics I,m guessing that if they did gain control their application would see BBM,s tenure being short.
Two smaller points. For the first 20 minutes ROW Z is a better strategy than fannying about, short passing deep in your own half and also if you are trailing by 3 goals then make 4 subs with enough time to possibly influence the outcome. BBM will never achieve a massive comeback in his career with the thinking he showed today. 87th minute subs at 4-1 is a waste of washing powder.

"Evolution dictates that it is not the weakest that are doomed to failure but the ones that are unable or more relevant here, unwilling, to adapt to changing circumstances"

"87th minute subs at 4-1 is a waste of washing powder."

I really enjoy your turn of phrases!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 19:51 - Dec 12 with 1863 viewsseasidedale

Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 18:06 - Dec 12 by milnrowblue

I believe that we had 6 months free use of Altman’s analytics company
Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 20:00 - Dec 12 with 1825 viewsBillyRudd

Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 19:12 - Dec 12 by D_Alien

"Evolution dictates that it is not the weakest that are doomed to failure but the ones that are unable or more relevant here, unwilling, to adapt to changing circumstances"

"87th minute subs at 4-1 is a waste of washing powder."

I really enjoy your turn of phrases!

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change." Charles Darwin 1809 -1882

Thank you for your kind acknowledgement but that pesky Darwin beat me to it by 140 years.
I don,t think he said anything about late subs and washing powder though.

If I raised a smile over what was another grim watch then I am pleased D,alien.

Up the Dale
Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 20:22 - Dec 12 with 1754 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 20:00 - Dec 12 by BillyRudd

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change." Charles Darwin 1809 -1882

Thank you for your kind acknowledgement but that pesky Darwin beat me to it by 140 years.
I don,t think he said anything about late subs and washing powder though.

If I raised a smile over what was another grim watch then I am pleased D,alien.

Up the Dale

Darwin got there first, but now it's your turn

Just waiting for BBM to catch up...

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 22:01 - Dec 12 with 1585 viewsSandyman

Just had a look on the official site to check. This season so far, 12 home games in all competitions. Won 1.
Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 22:08 - Dec 12 with 1561 viewsjudd

Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 22:01 - Dec 12 by Sandyman

Just had a look on the official site to check. This season so far, 12 home games in all competitions. Won 1.

Emphasise the positive.

In those home games we did not win, we finished in the top 2.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 23:58 - Dec 12 with 1438 viewsShun

Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 19:04 - Dec 12 by BillyRudd

Sorry to be pedantic, but if the season carries on exactly as it has done so far then it won’t be League Two football next season, as we’re currently not in the bottom 4. As you say, the table doesn’t lie!

I’ll admit to being more worried than I was a few weeks ago, and I share everybody’s frustration at the style of play, but I’m still slightly erring on the ‘stay up’ side. Results haven’t been great, but we’ve really only been comprehensively outplayed 4 times this league season - Lincoln, Oxford, Hull and Posh - and only the latter two of those would be what you’d consider a hammering. It’s no surprise that 3 of those 4 are in the top 4 and have been all season.

We don’t need to be amazing, we just need to be better than 4 sides across a season. I think that’s very achievable, although it is frustrating when we know how good we can be yet we come out with performances like the 4 mentioned above.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2020 0:55]
Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 09:37 - Dec 13 with 1203 viewsBillyRudd

Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 23:58 - Dec 12 by Shun

Sorry to be pedantic, but if the season carries on exactly as it has done so far then it won’t be League Two football next season, as we’re currently not in the bottom 4. As you say, the table doesn’t lie!

I’ll admit to being more worried than I was a few weeks ago, and I share everybody’s frustration at the style of play, but I’m still slightly erring on the ‘stay up’ side. Results haven’t been great, but we’ve really only been comprehensively outplayed 4 times this league season - Lincoln, Oxford, Hull and Posh - and only the latter two of those would be what you’d consider a hammering. It’s no surprise that 3 of those 4 are in the top 4 and have been all season.

We don’t need to be amazing, we just need to be better than 4 sides across a season. I think that’s very achievable, although it is frustrating when we know how good we can be yet we come out with performances like the 4 mentioned above.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2020 0:55]

I would agree with all that you say Shun, other than your point about the table. My premise for League 2 is that "as the season carries on" the current trajectory is downwards in terms of league position, points gained per match and I presume confidence in the camp. Yes we are 20th now but come whenever the season ends (I lose track) then with current trends we won,t be. I would take 20th position right now.
Other than the current trend , the main reason I fear the worst are not the spankings we occasionally get from the big budget teams, it is the results we will get from the current 6 pointers in the relegation scrap to come. Tuesday against the pie eaters being a case in point. My belief is that without a change to a scrappy, row z, increased pace, in your face frenetic style of play we wont come out of it well.
I agree with you that we have the players to stay up but that depends on how the manager manages plus a reasonable share of luck. Up until recently I was 100% attuned with you in believing that we would pick up enough points to survive, here and there. The naivety shown in the first 20 minutes yesterday definitely laid that to rest. I am a great believer, after a result in the old adage that win or lose you are never as good or bad as you think you are.However as I see it, the danger here is that BBM continually thinks we are better than we in reality are.
Do I think we can survive? Certainly.
Do I think we can survive if current styles of play are not changed? Almost certainly not.
I hope you prove to be right Shun but I can,t help thinking that its a mighty thin straw we are clutching on to.
The Wigan game will tell us a lot I think on what our true position is as a combative outfit as their trajactory is up, with back to back wins.
Up the Dale
Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 09:37 - Dec 13 with 1203 views1907

I can’t believe how much Bola has regressed recently.

Think we seriously need to have a reshuffle in January & see what other options are available.

If by some miracle we were able to shift Dooley & Done on that would free up some much needed finances.

If Bazunu is going to be out for the foreseeable I feel we need to get another keeper in also.
Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 10:06 - Dec 13 with 1156 viewsdingdangblue

Match Thread: Peterborough vs Rochdale on 09:37 - Dec 13 by 1907

I can’t believe how much Bola has regressed recently.

Think we seriously need to have a reshuffle in January & see what other options are available.

If by some miracle we were able to shift Dooley & Done on that would free up some much needed finances.

If Bazunu is going to be out for the foreseeable I feel we need to get another keeper in also.

Has anyone from the club even said anything about the Bazunu injury? Other than the match after he returned from Ireland U21 duty and it was mentioned by BBM that he was being assessed?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024