Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good but Derogatory Nick-Names 14:36 - Dec 12 with 4068 viewsChesham_Saint

Ok, so we all know nick-names like wet spam and spuds are pretty pathetic. Likewise Saints being called ‘scummers’ as the word is used by many clubs (at least in the ‘scum’ form) to describe hated rivals. ‘Skates’ on the other hand, is quite brilliant as it is unique to them, historically accurate and grossly insulting. The Blue Few and Portsdown Hillbillies (given their inter-breeding) are also acceptable in my book.

As for other names, I do have a wry smile when I see opposition fans refer to us as ‘Stains’ as it’s a simple rearrangement of our name (and therefore unique), uncomplimentary and also a bit funny. ‘Jam Rags’ and ‘Deck Chairs’ are used for the likes of Sunderland and Stoke as well, so don’t cut it.

Another name I though was quite good recently was West Brom fans referring to Wolves as the ‘Dog Heads’.

Anyone have any more?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 14:49 - Dec 14 with 956 viewsButty101

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 14:47 - Dec 14 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Let's be honest, one of the best nicknames for any club in the country is:

Trophy Dodgers

And there are few other clubs in the country to match Soton's sheer underachievement in terms of silverware for size of club. Hardly any clubs can aspire to your club's on-going lack of credibility in the 'filling the trophy cabinet stakes'.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2020 14:49]

Shes come out of hiding !

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 15:00 - Dec 14 with 955 viewsChesham_Saint

Trophy Dodgers

And there are few other clubs in the country to match Soton's sheer underachievement in terms of silverware for size of club. Hardly any clubs can aspire to your club's on-going lack of credibility in the 'filling the trophy cabinet stakes'.

When we want your opinion, fvckwit, we'll give you it.

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 15:12 - Dec 14 with 939 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 15:00 - Dec 14 by Chesham_Saint

When we want your opinion, fvckwit, we'll give you it.

Oooh, that nickname looks like it has hit a nerve.

That's probably why the Pompey fans find it funny.

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 15:32 - Dec 14 with 931 viewsChesham_Saint

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 15:12 - Dec 14 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Then go and discuss it with them, you Div 1 onanistic spunk pit.

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 16:32 - Dec 14 with 896 viewsfranniesTache

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 15:12 - Dec 14 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

What i find funny is your club constantly going bankrupt, shame it can't happen again, and an even bigger shame your actually city doesn't go bankrupt. Could cut the bridge and let you go full cannibal on each other.
Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 17:30 - Dec 14 with 876 viewskingolaf

Trophy Dodgers

Not as good as Charity Dodgers or Invoice Dodgers though.
Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 17:44 - Dec 14 with 863 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 16:32 - Dec 14 by franniesTache

What i find funny is your club constantly going bankrupt, shame it can't happen again, and an even bigger shame your actually city doesn't go bankrupt. Could cut the bridge and let you go full cannibal on each other.

"Could cut the bridge"

Which one would that be then, as I think you will find there are more than one?

You're not very good at this are you?

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 17:46 - Dec 14 with 861 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 17:30 - Dec 14 by kingolaf

Not as good as Charity Dodgers or Invoice Dodgers though.

Is that what happened when you skipped the charity game before you went bust?

Login to get fewer ads

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 18:09 - Dec 14 with 858 viewsgrumpy

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 17:46 - Dec 14 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Is that what happened when you skipped the charity game before you went bust?

There was never any danger of Saints finding a buyer and the gates in the first division showed the loyalty of Saints fans.
Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 18:12 - Dec 14 with 855 viewsfranniesTache

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 17:44 - Dec 14 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

"Could cut the bridge"

Which one would that be then, as I think you will find there are more than one?

You're not very good at this are you?

Cut them all, i don't care, the end result would be the same, starve you pricks out of existence
Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 19:23 - Dec 14 with 816 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 18:12 - Dec 14 by franniesTache

Cut them all, i don't care, the end result would be the same, starve you pricks out of existence

Even if the roundabout was destroyed at Hilsea, people would still cross the tiny creek wouldn't they?

You've not really thought your argument through have you? Nothing new there though.

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 19:24 - Dec 14 with 814 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 18:09 - Dec 14 by grumpy

There was never any danger of Saints finding a buyer and the gates in the first division showed the loyalty of Saints fans.

"If Matt Le Tizz aint playing, I'm not showing"

Yep, real loyalty.

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 20:24 - Dec 14 with 795 viewsgrumpy

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 19:24 - Dec 14 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

"If Matt Le Tizz aint playing, I'm not showing"

Yep, real loyalty.

I feel for desperation..
Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 20:30 - Dec 14 with 794 viewsCenturion

Trophy Dodgers

Quite funny. Never take yourself to seriously!
Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 21:25 - Dec 14 with 766 viewsgrumpy

Trophy Dodgers

You could fill a few cabinets with the nonsense you post on here.
Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 21:45 - Dec 14 with 754 viewsBerber

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 17:14 - Dec 13 by DorsetIan

I‘m pretty sure they call themselves the monkey-hangers, so does that count?

Stood with few hundred Stockport fans behind goal at Victoria Park once. Very very unpleasant welcome throughout the game from Pool fans to the left.

Got to be one of the bleakest parts of the country. Made Darlington seem like Beverley Hills.

Brian Clough never stopped referring to them as ‚Hartlepools’.

Chris Rea wrote "Driving Home for Christmas" about driving home to Middlesbrough. I think he wrote "Road to Hell" about Hartlepool, but was prompted when he got to Darlington on the way home.
Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 22:15 - Dec 14 with 744 viewsDorsetIan

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 21:45 - Dec 14 by Berber

Chris Rea wrote "Driving Home for Christmas" about driving home to Middlesbrough. I think he wrote "Road to Hell" about Hartlepool, but was prompted when he got to Darlington on the way home.

Isn't that supposed to be about the M25?

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 22:53 - Dec 14 with 730 viewsChesham_Saint

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 22:15 - Dec 14 by DorsetIan

Isn't that supposed to be about the M25?

And wasn’t Homeward Bound about Wigan?

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 22:55 - Dec 14 with 729 viewsChesham_Saint

Trophy Dodgers

So essentially what this asshole is saying is that Saints are a big club. Conversely, the skates are a small club who historically at least, have over achieved.

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 10:26 - Dec 15 with 671 viewsGasGiant

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 16:18 - Dec 12 by dirk_doone

No, it's a relatively modern term. Its slang use originated in the Meon Valley, where the author Barbara Euphan Todd based the characters in her 1930s Worzel Gummidge books on the locals. Of course the word wurzel originated in Germany and is a root vegetable, the mangelwurzel, which was commonly cultivated by poor peasants. In the twentieth century it became slang for backward rural people in areas like East Anglia, Hampshire and the West Country, mainly because of Todd's books, and then the group, the Worzels popularized it in the 60s.

The reason Pompey fans hate it so much is that they like to project a mythical image of themselves as working class inner city kids from some legendary south coast version of London's East End when in fact the vast majority of them come from middle class suburbs, villages and small towns in the Hampshire countryside, like Cowplain, East Meon and Petersfield. In every interview Westwood goes on about being working class when the truth is he is an antiquarian bookshop owner from Petersfield. Surprisingly, among the inhabitants of central Portsmouth, there isn't much interest in the local football team. The fans pour in from outside the city on match day and are regarded as a bit of a nuisance by the locals. Pompey have one of the most rural fanbases in the country, which is why they are really Worzels, not Skates.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2020 16:42]

I don't know how much research you did for this post Dirk regarding Porstmouth support because it is wrong. Having lived in or around the city (Gosport) during my time in the Andrew I have always admired how the city supports its own club - moreso than most cities in terms at least of the number of other clubs' shirts you see on the children. The "Worzels" term has always been a misnomer for Pompey, belonging to the "Oo Arr" accents of West Country or East Anglian supporters. The Potsmouth dialect has some rustic undertones mixed in with God knows what but is not "Worzel". As for the support base, I don't think the MEon Valley is a hotbed of support for any club, any more than (say) the Avon Valley to the west. East Hampshire however as far as Farnham (and with the slight exception of Bordon for military reasons) always had a Portsmouth following for some reason - possibly the A325 - witnessed by the fact that the Pompey Pink was sold (and bought in quantity) in all Farnham pubs on a Saturday evening. In terms of the city itself, the only area on the island not relatively fanatical (compared to other cities) is along the gentile Thomas Ellis Owen facades in Southsea - probably the equivalent of Bassett Green in Southampton but this is because the population is now diluted with student bedsit conversions. ELsewhere, support is fairly solid compared to most clubs. The fans who pour down the Eastern Road and the M275 on match days are largely coming from the Cosham Estates and Leigh Park, less so from Waterlooville and Cowplain.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 10:27]
Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 10:32 - Dec 15 with 662 viewsChesham_Saint

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 10:26 - Dec 15 by GasGiant

I don't know how much research you did for this post Dirk regarding Porstmouth support because it is wrong. Having lived in or around the city (Gosport) during my time in the Andrew I have always admired how the city supports its own club - moreso than most cities in terms at least of the number of other clubs' shirts you see on the children. The "Worzels" term has always been a misnomer for Pompey, belonging to the "Oo Arr" accents of West Country or East Anglian supporters. The Potsmouth dialect has some rustic undertones mixed in with God knows what but is not "Worzel". As for the support base, I don't think the MEon Valley is a hotbed of support for any club, any more than (say) the Avon Valley to the west. East Hampshire however as far as Farnham (and with the slight exception of Bordon for military reasons) always had a Portsmouth following for some reason - possibly the A325 - witnessed by the fact that the Pompey Pink was sold (and bought in quantity) in all Farnham pubs on a Saturday evening. In terms of the city itself, the only area on the island not relatively fanatical (compared to other cities) is along the gentile Thomas Ellis Owen facades in Southsea - probably the equivalent of Bassett Green in Southampton but this is because the population is now diluted with student bedsit conversions. ELsewhere, support is fairly solid compared to most clubs. The fans who pour down the Eastern Road and the M275 on match days are largely coming from the Cosham Estates and Leigh Park, less so from Waterlooville and Cowplain.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 10:27]

So, does this mean we’re back to “skates” then? I (now) know you were in the RN GG, so must be familiar with this term of endearment...

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 11:15 - Dec 15 with 655 viewsfranniesTache

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 19:23 - Dec 14 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Even if the roundabout was destroyed at Hilsea, people would still cross the tiny creek wouldn't they?

You've not really thought your argument through have you? Nothing new there though.

Not if you put landmines in, honestly i'm all for that too.
Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 11:24 - Dec 15 with 653 viewsChesham_Saint

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 11:15 - Dec 15 by franniesTache

Not if you put landmines in, honestly i'm all for that too.

A sort of third rate ‘Escape From New York’ if you will? With PFC Westwood fulfilling the role of Snake Bumpkin trying to rescue the erstwhile head of Mickey Mouse Productions from the sub-human, inter-bred blue few living in the slums and sewers (which, incidentally, would be an upgrade from Paulsgrove and Leigh Park).

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 13:23 - Dec 15 with 633 viewsScoot

I always liked Ally McMoist. The papers called him it after he was caught having an affair.
Sweds 2 Turnips 1 was a good one as well.
And if you get away from football when Richard Whiteley got caught having an affair the papers called him Twice nightly Whiteley

Poll: Should NJ go?

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 16:05 - Dec 15 with 609 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Good but Derogatory Nick-Names on 22:55 - Dec 14 by Chesham_Saint

So essentially what this asshole is saying is that Saints are a big club. Conversely, the skates are a small club who historically at least, have over achieved.

No asswipe, what I am saying is there aren't any bigger clubs than yours further down this list than your club

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_clubs_in_England_by_competitive_h

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024