Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Redmond 15:44 - Oct 24 with 1378 viewsSonicBoom

OK this is a subject we've done many times but my patience has gone.
Firstly I know he played OK last week and was part of the move for our goal.

But that miss yesterday. Absolutely scandalous. He cost us two points.

I understand if you are up against a player that is faster or stronger or even has better awareness or just plain more talent. There will always be other teams with better players and they cost money we simply don't have. But......

What I cannot get my head round is a professional footballer who cannot put the ball into an open goal from 2 yards on a pitch as flat as a snooker table.
He earns 60 grand a week. I know that isn't his fault but it's an indication of the level of player he is supposed to be.
He wasn't up against anyone. He just had to knock it forward and he couldn't do it. That's my gripe. Any footballer on any park in the country at any level would be expected to score. Just a basic lack of technique or mentality.
It was beyond simple.

It's not the first time either and I honestly think he's no better now than the day he arrived. I know I risk the wrath of Nick but he's had enough chances for me and I'd be happy never to see him in a saints shirt again. It's not knee jerk , it's a culmination of so many disappointing situations he's found himself in, and he's made the wrong decision, or like yesterday, he's unable to execute the simplest footballing skill.
How a professional screws up so many basic passes and chances is utterly baffling to me.
Redmond on 16:10 - Oct 24 with 1320 viewsI_would

It might be a start to fine him for smiling after yet another crucial miss. It ain't funny Redders!

Poll: How many players should RH play at the back on Saturday?

Redmond on 16:19 - Oct 24 with 1314 viewsPatfromPoole

A lot of faith has been placed in him by Ralph, who is almost gambling his job on him.

He needs to start producing against the better sides. He only seems to me to look half-decent against the poor teams. Leeds were woeful last week, looked like a League 1 side.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Redmond on 16:48 - Oct 24 with 1270 viewsSadoldgit

Redmond on 16:19 - Oct 24 by PatfromPoole

A lot of faith has been placed in him by Ralph, who is almost gambling his job on him.

He needs to start producing against the better sides. He only seems to me to look half-decent against the poor teams. Leeds were woeful last week, looked like a League 1 side.

I’m not sure that the miss cost us two points? We were 1-0 down at that point. In quick succession Walcott missed, Redmond missed and Livramento hit the post before he finally scored from Redmond’s corner. Had Redmond score it still would have been 1-1 but the game would have been different and we have no idea how it would have ended up. He is a frustrating player but I think he has played ok in the last 2 games.
Redmond on 17:06 - Oct 24 with 1264 viewssaint68

He's a mid table championship player..if Ralph persists we will gain that position and Redmond will come good.

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

Redmond on 17:21 - Oct 24 with 1254 viewsSonicBoom

Redmond on 16:48 - Oct 24 by Sadoldgit

I’m not sure that the miss cost us two points? We were 1-0 down at that point. In quick succession Walcott missed, Redmond missed and Livramento hit the post before he finally scored from Redmond’s corner. Had Redmond score it still would have been 1-1 but the game would have been different and we have no idea how it would have ended up. He is a frustrating player but I think he has played ok in the last 2 games.

I get what you're saying about the specific timings - I was thinking more generally. We drew the game 2-2 but missed an open goal from 2 yards out. Hence my comment he cost us 2 points.
You say he played ok, but I think a miss of that ineptitude kinda overshadows anything else.
Do you not think it was unbelievable?
Redmond on 18:46 - Oct 24 with 1198 viewsButty101

Redmond on 17:21 - Oct 24 by SonicBoom

I get what you're saying about the specific timings - I was thinking more generally. We drew the game 2-2 but missed an open goal from 2 yards out. Hence my comment he cost us 2 points.
You say he played ok, but I think a miss of that ineptitude kinda overshadows anything else.
Do you not think it was unbelievable?

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/southampton/12443163

Miss of the season?

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Redmond on 21:06 - Oct 24 with 1127 viewsA1079

I could agree more Sonic. Yes, his all round performances have been a little better in the last couple of games but we know it won't last and I_Would is right, what did he have to grin about when he missed that sitter? It may have been amusing if we were winning 4-0 with 5 minutes to go but not when we were losing at that stage.
Redmond on 21:14 - Oct 24 with 1115 viewsgrumpy

Redmond assisted in the goal by Livramento.
Against Leeds he assisted in the goal by Broja.
Yes! he should have scored, but at least he brings some threat to the opposition.
Login to get fewer ads

Redmond on 21:16 - Oct 24 with 1112 viewsMytchettSaint

I thought he’s generally played ok the last two games (that miss aside) and you can see he’s in Brojas ear a lot of the game guiding him. Perhaps that was Ralph’s thinking with Walcott? Bit of guidance for Tino?

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Redmond on 21:18 - Oct 24 with 1108 viewsgrumpy

Redmond on 21:16 - Oct 24 by MytchettSaint

I thought he’s generally played ok the last two games (that miss aside) and you can see he’s in Brojas ear a lot of the game guiding him. Perhaps that was Ralph’s thinking with Walcott? Bit of guidance for Tino?

If I was Tino I wouldn't pay much attention to Walcott
[Post edited 24 Oct 2021 21:18]
Redmond on 22:12 - Oct 24 with 1068 viewsRon11

Redmond on 21:18 - Oct 24 by grumpy

If I was Tino I wouldn't pay much attention to Walcott
[Post edited 24 Oct 2021 21:18]

I don't think he even needs to.
Redmond on 22:19 - Oct 24 with 1062 viewsSouthamptonfan

He's our level of player at the moment. The best we can expect.

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Redmond on 08:44 - Oct 25 with 938 viewssaintwizzler

Redmond on 22:19 - Oct 24 by Southamptonfan

He's our level of player at the moment. The best we can expect.

We are stuck with what we’ve got till the end of the season so hopefully JWP, Stuart Armstrong, Romeu, Livramento, Salisu and Broja can get us to 40 points and that 17th Place Trophy.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Redmond on 09:34 - Oct 25 with 898 viewsKennington

We let the wrong player go. Should have gone all out and kept Tadic and not had to suffer years of Nathan one good game in 20 Redmond.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Redmond on 09:55 - Oct 25 with 882 viewsgrumpy

Redmond on 09:34 - Oct 25 by Kennington

We let the wrong player go. Should have gone all out and kept Tadic and not had to suffer years of Nathan one good game in 20 Redmond.

I just don't get all this venom towards Redmond, he assisted in 2 of the last 3 goals scored, and to be honest he has been our biggest threat going forward, not to say that's been great.
Redmond on 09:59 - Oct 25 with 879 viewsKennington

Redmond on 09:55 - Oct 25 by grumpy

I just don't get all this venom towards Redmond, he assisted in 2 of the last 3 goals scored, and to be honest he has been our biggest threat going forward, not to say that's been great.

Agree he’s has a couple of decent performances, I’m judging things on the past few years rather than last two games.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Redmond on 10:07 - Oct 25 with 865 viewsSadoldgit

Redmond on 21:06 - Oct 24 by A1079

I could agree more Sonic. Yes, his all round performances have been a little better in the last couple of games but we know it won't last and I_Would is right, what did he have to grin about when he missed that sitter? It may have been amusing if we were winning 4-0 with 5 minutes to go but not when we were losing at that stage.

I don’t think he thought it was funny. It was more of a look of astonishment and embarrassment.
Redmond on 10:08 - Oct 25 with 867 viewsSaintNick

Redmond on 09:34 - Oct 25 by Kennington

Redmond's miss was terrible, but he isn't the first Saints player to miss a chance so badly, over the years there have been far better players than him in a Saints shirt who have missed a chance and cost us points and there will be better ones in the future do so im sure.

To say Redmond had had one good game every 20 is plain misleading, he has played 165 (plus 44 as sub ) games for the club and scored 28 goals for the club.

During that time he has scored some vital and memorable goals.

Liverpool at home in the League cup semi final 1st leg when he scored the only goal of the game.

The following season when he scored at Everton to give us a 1-1 draw, a vital point that meant that we had a chance of getting out of relegation with 2 games left.

A goal at Burnley in Feb 2019 to give us a vital point as Ralph battled to keep us out the relegation zone.

19/20 season when he scored the goal of the game at Pompey to send them heading for the exits.

A great goal and performance at Stamford Bridge on Boxing Day in a 2-0 win

Last season when he destroyed Bournemouth in the FA Cup.

This season he has been perhaps our most creative player, turning the game round at Newcastle and the assist for the goal last week against Leeds and of course the corner against Burnley for Livramento's goal.

I am not the greatest fan of Redmond, but what i do do is give him credit where it is due and not jump on his back at every opportunity.

Someone here suggested that miss cost us the game, well perhaps Livramento's marking or lack of it for Burnley's opener could be said to cost us a win just as much.

Both players redeemed themselves with the equaliser

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Redmond on 14:04 - Oct 25 with 784 viewsSonicBoom

See i knew I'd risk your wrath Nick !

I'm not jumping on his back. This is not about one miss - that is just symptomatic of him generally.

You correctly point out things he has done well on the odd occasion he has done.

The other side of the coin is the number of times we have broken away and he picks the wrong pass at the end. How many goals might we have scored if he'd made the right decision?
How many times have you seen him cut inside and shoot harmlessly over the bar?
How many times have you seen him dither and not get a shot off at all?
Of course we will never know what might have happened but I put him in the same category as Long who misses chance after chance. How much of a better position would we be in if those chances fell to someone more clinical? In other words it's not about the one time he gets it right, it's more about the ten times he doesn't.

Im not going to boo him or jump on his back or any of that. This is forum to vent our opinion and mine is that he's be mediocre for too long and certainly doesn't deserve to be a top earner - and definitely not a starter. You may disagree....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024