Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Omicron Varient 13:04 - Nov 28 with 6503 viewsSadoldgit

In the hope of a less conspiracy theory based discussion on this thread, although I was very critical about the government being slow to react to the initial outbreak, the sudden speed of activity seems very out of character and worrying. Whilst telling us that tests are ongoing, I do wonder why they are so concerned at this point. Do they know more than they are telling us?

(Oh no, I have just entered the conspiracy theory world myself!! 🤪😖😩)
The Omicron Varient on 18:44 - Nov 29 with 1122 viewsBazza

Jelly, you would make your points clearer if you cut down the length of your comments. Then I’ll read them in full.
The Omicron Varient on 19:31 - Nov 29 with 1082 viewskernow

The Omicron Varient on 18:44 - Nov 29 by Bazza

Jelly, you would make your points clearer if you cut down the length of your comments. Then I’ll read them in full.

Bite off it's head that'll cut the comments down.
The Omicron Varient on 19:34 - Nov 29 with 1082 viewsJellybaby

The Omicron Varient on 18:44 - Nov 29 by Bazza

Point taken.

Politicians and governments are liable to use science for their own best interest, sometimes suppressing it for political and/or financial gain and often appointees have vested interests.

Quote from BMJ November 2020;
Politicisation of science was enthusiastically deployed by some of history’s worst autocrats and dictators, and it is now regrettably commonplace in democracies. The medical-political complex tends towards suppression of science to aggrandise and enrich those in power. And, as the powerful become more successful, richer, and further intoxicated with power, the inconvenient truths of science are suppressed. When good science is suppressed, people die.

I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.

The Omicron Varient on 20:29 - Nov 29 with 1044 viewsDorsetIan

The Omicron Varient on 19:34 - Nov 29 by Jellybaby

Point taken.

Politicians and governments are liable to use science for their own best interest, sometimes suppressing it for political and/or financial gain and often appointees have vested interests.

Quote from BMJ November 2020;
Politicisation of science was enthusiastically deployed by some of history’s worst autocrats and dictators, and it is now regrettably commonplace in democracies. The medical-political complex tends towards suppression of science to aggrandise and enrich those in power. And, as the powerful become more successful, richer, and further intoxicated with power, the inconvenient truths of science are suppressed. When good science is suppressed, people die.

Jelly

You say you're not a flat earther but just like them you ignore or rubbish anything that doesn't fit with your theory.

The vaccines work. 500,000 people in Europe are alive now because of them. You've got absolutely no evidence to dispute what the WHO says but because it doesn't fit your theory you just reject this fact, and spout a load of guff about the politicisation of science, as if that somehow disproves the numbers.

Vaccines work, and most doctors and scientists are working in good faith for the good of humanity.

Something has gone very very wrong with your thinking if you are incapable of believing what is so clearly true.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

The Omicron Varient on 21:40 - Nov 29 with 997 viewsElijahK

This sure is one interesting thread to read. Both sides have certainly got major points, and minor ones, as well as there being some people on both sides that are clearly some sort of flat earther/David ickes fan, or those OTT Covid people that’ll wear face masks in there own cars and think that everything should be shut down until Covid gone/everyone’s vaccinated.
But overall in conclusion I think both sides have points, as I do think that people should get vaccinated (but it should be up to them) although if they decide not to then they should expect to miss out on a thing or two, but I don’t think that we need to go into all these lockdowns and face mask rules as Covid’s here to stay and no matter what happens with the vaccinations and such, to get through this and keep people employed we just need to keep on going and not shutting everything down with lockdowns or forcing people to wear face mask, especially when a few weeks previously it looked like it was all ending.
As my major person issue is the inconsistency with the rules (as your told not to use cash here and there at pubs and such, yet your giving them glasses there and back, and how your meant to keep windows open for ventilation at work/education system, yet there’s none of that on public transport or such etc) as in the end, for it to really work you ether go lockdown full stop and do everything to stop it (like what New Zealand and Australia did in the first wave), or you make a few basic rules and just let people get on with it. But us just going back and forth just takes the p*ss and makes many wonder if it’s ever gonna end!?
[Post edited 29 Nov 2021 21:45]

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

The Omicron Varient on 17:07 - Nov 30 with 878 viewsSadoldgit

I went to the supermarket today and most people were wearing masks. Unfortunately we are going to be halfway through December before we know the effects of the new variant, but why take any chances?
[Post edited 30 Nov 2021 17:10]
The Omicron Varient on 17:15 - Nov 30 with 866 viewssaint68

The Omicron Varient on 17:07 - Nov 30 by Sadoldgit

I went to the supermarket today and most people were wearing masks. Unfortunately we are going to be halfway through December before we know the effects of the new variant, but why take any chances?

3 week total lockdown would kill of any threat at all...let's get it done and be free to meet family for festive fun.

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

The Omicron Varient on 13:02 - Dec 1 with 795 viewsBerber

The Omicron Varient on 17:07 - Nov 30 by Sadoldgit

I agree with this, I have been wearing a mask in shops all along. When I volunteer at the vaccine centre, we have to socially distance and wear masks, even though I am always a car park marshall, so outside in the fresh air. It is a minor inconvenience (especially when it is going to rain or very cold, as my glasses keep misting up). At the theatre in Chichester, very few ignore the notices requesting that people wear a mask out of consideration for others.

In answer to ElijahJ's post, yes, there are valid points from both sides of the argument. For example, the BBC Healthcare correspondent stating that the Omicron Variant could be very bad news. Given that nobody has any facts about how severe the illness it causes is (all mild so far, but mainly in S Africa where the population demographic is skewed very heavily to the young) he could have just as easily stated that it could also be very good news, if it proves to be more infectious but less severe than Delta. But good news is no news in media terms so there is definitely an unbalanced output. Again, we have one vaccine CEO saying vaccines are unlikely to be nearly as effective against Omicron, but two others saying there is no reason to believe that current vaccines won't be just as effective against severe illness.

No harm done by being careful for a few more weeks. I have to declare an interest. We are currently planning to spend Christmas with family in Oslo. I can live with the hassle of PCR test there and back, even self isolation for a couple of days until the results come in. What I don't want is an explosion of the Omicron variant that causes other countries to stop us travelling there. I'm pretty sure I can be careful enough not to catch it either here or there based on what we know after 2 years. What would really p1ss me off is other people exercising their freedom to behave like c**ts and restricting my freedoms.
Login to get fewer ads

The Omicron Varient on 14:17 - Dec 1 with 767 viewsSadoldgit

The Omicron Varient on 20:15 - Nov 28 by Jellybaby

I think its pretty clear by now that the vaccines are not the answer, they may even be part of the problem. The only thing that will get us out of this mess is a bit of backbone and moral courage.from the people.

Clear to some if you maybe, the rest of us appreciate that the vaccines are saving lives and are the reason we lifted lockdown. There are plenty of people with backbone in the cemetery.
The Omicron Varient on 14:33 - Dec 1 with 760 viewsGasGiant

The Omicron Varient on 20:15 - Nov 28 by Jellybaby

I think its pretty clear by now that the vaccines are not the answer, they may even be part of the problem. The only thing that will get us out of this mess is a bit of backbone and moral courage.from the people.

Do you really not understand how vaccines work, despite apparently reading about them incessantly? They are not a medicine that directly operates on the virus - they educate and stimulate your own body's immune system to produce antibodies, that's all, and yes they do demonstrably help because the number of fatalities as a ratio of actual cases has fallen since the summer. People still get Covid, that's not the point, it's how sever they get it when they have been vaccinated. A consultant at Southampton general recently told my wife in conversation that every single patient in the acute ward two weeks ago had not been vaccinated at all. That does not make Covid a conspiracy or a fiction - it just means the vaccine program is effective, as is every other vaccination programme in Britishs medical history. Why do you think Covid is somehow special compared to the hundreds of other programmes we successfully operated in the last 50 years?
The Omicron Varient on 15:12 - Dec 1 with 731 viewsBazza

The Omicron Varient on 12:39 - Nov 29 by saint68

But a very distinct probabilty that 10 times that will pass away from not obtaining critical life saving early diagnosis due to Europe wide multiple lockdowns..

Good old Ian wagging his tail and completely ignoring the greater threat..
[Post edited 29 Nov 2021 13:09]

Quarter of hospital beds being occupied by anti-vaxxers. If they had been jabbed more people with non covid illnesses could be treated.
Are you really that scared of a little needle in your arm?
The Omicron Varient on 16:15 - Dec 1 with 700 viewsJaySaint

The Omicron Varient on 15:12 - Dec 1 by Bazza

Quarter of hospital beds being occupied by anti-vaxxers. If they had been jabbed more people with non covid illnesses could be treated.

so, over 35k people are in hospital with COVID and are unvaccinated?

mush, your head needs a wobble

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

The Omicron Varient on 16:37 - Dec 1 with 684 viewssaint68

The Omicron Varient on 15:12 - Dec 1 by Bazza

That makes no sense at all, so you automatically assume that those that haven't had a vaccine by choice are taking those beds...what about those that have for other medical issues been made exempt from the vaccine .these would be classified in that group...and obviously from that you can garner they are in ill health already...you also imply with your post that 75% of beds are full of double,triple vaccinated people..that would make some a bit wary in regards to the vaccines worth.

And the thing you really need to understand is that due to transmission these wards you talk of will be basically quarantine zones...covid patients wouldn't be on normal wards.

And probably best you clarify your statement by showing if it's 25% of covid capacity wards or the entire NHS bed capacity..the latter would obviously be in the order of 37000 unvaccinated patients..just a link to clarify Bazza...there is so much false information in regards to covid and we need accurate verifiable data to stop the covifiots spreading misinformation.

I see more and more people using anecdotal comments to use as some kind of proof recently...anecdotal comments are useless on a pandemic.

The Omicron Varient on 16:39 - Dec 1 with 684 views1885_SFC

Are these numbers bullshít... or shall I take them as correct?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/hundreds-intensive-care-beds-being-2556427

Old School is Cool

The Omicron Varient on 17:12 - Dec 1 with 661 viewssaint68

The Omicron Varient on 16:39 - Dec 1 by 1885_SFC

Are these numbers bullshít... or shall I take them as correct?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/hundreds-intensive-care-beds-being-2556427

So there's actually more people In hospital than this time last year..and 75% are fully vaccinated..

So are these numbers correct or just bullshit?

1yr on we have more cases higher transmission and a similar amount in hospital..of which 75% are already fully vaccinated..

But there currently seems to be lower mortality which is marvellous.

Its good to keep an eye on progress and see how things are changing..

The Omicron Varient on 17:49 - Dec 1 with 642 viewsPoirot

There will be some unvaccinated obviously, but lets be clear, being vaccinated doesnt give anyone the golden bullet. Its merely a slight help to the immune system and most of those in hospital with covid will sadly be older people with other issues on top.

The flu vaccine on a good year will help 60% say and many years its 40-50% benefit.
The Omicron Varient on 18:11 - Dec 1 with 629 views1885_SFC

The Omicron Varient on 17:12 - Dec 1 by saint68

So there's actually more people In hospital than this time last year..and 75% are fully vaccinated..

1yr on we have more cases higher transmission and a similar amount in hospital..of which 75% are already fully vaccinated..

This will please you 68. Spain will insist on it - as will Boris - eventually. There's no escape:

https://www.euronews.com/2021/12/01/eu-should-consider-mandatory-vaccination-say

Old School is Cool

The Omicron Varient on 18:21 - Dec 1 with 621 viewssaint68

The Omicron Varient on 18:11 - Dec 1 by 1885_SFC

This will please you 68. Spain will insist on it - as will Boris - eventually. There's no escape:

https://www.euronews.com/2021/12/01/eu-should-consider-mandatory-vaccination-say

If its necessary then it's necessary, don't see any issues with that at all.

The Omicron Varient on 18:36 - Dec 1 with 613 viewsHeisenberg

We didn’t see our families last Xmas as we were in lockdown. Seems at the same time Johnson and his cronies were partying away in Downing Street blatantly breaking the rules they told us we all had to follow. So if they call another lockdown they can feck right off. I’m sick to death of following rules only for the clowns at the top who brought them in breaking them time and time again.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

The Omicron Varient on 18:46 - Dec 1 with 602 viewsJellybaby

The Omicron Varient on 18:36 - Dec 1 by Heisenberg

We didn’t see our families last Xmas as we were in lockdown. Seems at the same time Johnson and his cronies were partying away in Downing Street blatantly breaking the rules they told us we all had to follow. So if they call another lockdown they can feck right off. I’m sick to death of following rules only for the clowns at the top who brought them in breaking them time and time again.

Respect. Someone waking up to the fact that you put family first and with enough balls to tell despotic tyrants where they can stick their rules.

I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.

The Omicron Varient on 18:55 - Dec 1 with 592 viewssaint68

The Omicron Varient on 18:46 - Dec 1 by Jellybaby

Respect. Someone waking up to the fact that you put family first and with enough balls to tell despotic tyrants where they can stick their rules.

You'll love today's anagram Jelly

Delta Omicron...media control

The Omicron Varient on 18:56 - Dec 1 with 588 viewssaint68

The Omicron Varient on 18:36 - Dec 1 by Heisenberg

Now thats just bloody ridiculous .follow the rules and save lives..its one bloody day!!

The Omicron Varient on 19:30 - Dec 1 with 571 viewsBazza

The Omicron Varient on 16:15 - Dec 1 by JaySaint

so, over 35k people are in hospital with COVID and are unvaccinated?

mush, your head needs a wobble

Oops I meant INTENSIVE care beds
The Omicron Varient on 22:27 - Dec 1 with 525 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

The Omicron Varient on 17:12 - Dec 1 by saint68

It's poorly worded, it's the Mirror, what did anyone expect. Here is a better way of laying it out from their own wording;

- 3,480 patients in intensive care beds
- 825 have covid
- most of these [825] patients remaining unvaccinated - (but no numbers to back this up)

VERY poorly worded and 2 facts with data and 1 hypothesis with no actual data. Typical mirror.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

The Omicron Varient on 23:26 - Dec 1 with 507 viewsJellybaby

The Omicron Varient on 18:55 - Dec 1 by saint68

You'll love today's anagram Jelly

Delta Omicron...media control

Oh my word, literally playing with us.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024