Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow 19:14 - Feb 8 with 23593 views100notout

just seen this on twitter - I wish they'd publicise it more and sooner I'm sure that people will want to watch but might not know.

Spread the word.

May be a coincidence but just had an email confirming ifollow available - good move but should have been sent 12/24 hours earlier
[Post edited 8 Feb 2022 19:32]

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 00:01 - Feb 9 with 4048 viewsmikehunt

So, I was there and the bottom line was we gave the ball away too often. They were a great possession team and we couldn’t get the ball off them. When we did we caused them all kinds of problems but, yes, as usual, no end product.
Having made a fantastic save first half, Coleman flapped at what seemed a cinch to save. Still it was Clark who gave the ball away that led to their opportunity. By gave the ball away I mean passed straight to their player. Which went on all match. How we clung on was a miracle considering,
Players were obviously peed off but did their best to applaud the away support.
Close but no cigar!

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 00:22 - Feb 9 with 3986 viewskel

Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 22:56 - Feb 8 by Yorkshire_Dale

How noble of him.......so he should.
Has n't kicked a ball in anger tonight and barely contributed to a mediocre season.

If I was him, I would bow down on my knees and thank the fans and the Club for a magnificent contract extention.

The email asking fans if his contract should be renewed or not must have gone to my spam folder. Totally missed that one.
Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 00:37 - Feb 9 with 3943 viewsBrierls

Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 22:56 - Feb 8 by Yorkshire_Dale

How noble of him.......so he should.
Has n't kicked a ball in anger tonight and barely contributed to a mediocre season.

If I was him, I would bow down on my knees and thank the fans and the Club for a magnificent contract extention.

There is absolutely no justification for that post. If it’s not a bizarre need to give your ‘y’ or ‘z’ nicknames to anyone and anything, it’s bullshit like this that show a complete lack of respect.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2022 0:40]
Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 00:57 - Feb 9 with 3911 viewsSandyman

To be fair, Robbie's post-match analysis is brutally honest. As they always are. None of this "the players were wonderful" nonsense BBM used to spurt after a pathetic performance that shamed the club. Bottomley creaming himself because somebody said something "nice" about us. Graham Barrow used to bang on about how good opposition managers said Andy Farrell and Mark Leonard were when we knew they weren't. Robbie is peed off that opposition managers say we are good but we lose. RS doesn't like that. Rightly so, we need the points and I reckon he'll sort it out. Stockdale in for me.
Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 07:18 - Feb 9 with 3679 viewsTVOS1907

Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 00:37 - Feb 9 by Brierls

There is absolutely no justification for that post. If it’s not a bizarre need to give your ‘y’ or ‘z’ nicknames to anyone and anything, it’s bullshit like this that show a complete lack of respect.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2022 0:40]

Well said Breels.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 07:59 - Feb 9 with 3584 viewsHullDale

Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 07:18 - Feb 9 by TVOS1907

Well said Breels.

Some thoughts on last night having slept on it.

Coleman - kept us in it with a couple of worldy saves, but their second is an absolute howler. I'm also getting bored of seeing him & O'Connell argue about whether Coleman is passing it out, or tapping it to O'Connell to do. Surely they should know by now.

Clark - not had the same impact as his debut in any game since... the early crosses seem to have stopped (being coached out / told not to?) and positioning last night wasn't great, admittedly against a couple of good players.

O'Keeffe - seems half the player he was without Newby & Beesley to bounce off. Rolled his ankle in the warm up (I'm surprised he played with the amount of strapping they put on it) which might explain him MIA for a lot of the match, but he was constantly being berated by O'Connell & Downing for being out of position / too far forward / not taking throw ins etc

Broadbent - moments of strong, no nonsense badgering and tackling followed by moments where it looks like the first time he has kicked a football. Inconsistent, and with the position we're in I don't think its the right time to be letting him get up to speed. We need players playing who are reliable, consistent and can just get stuff done.

Ball - I said after ten minutes he (if O'Connell goes) will be Captain next year. Huge presence, constantly talking, popping up all over the pitch, and an absolute shithouse too to the opposition. After his goal he was proper laying into their defender, telling him it was his fault for not marking him etc... he had a couple of their players in his pocket until his legs started to go.

Kelly - I'm beginning to fear he is a good player in winning teams, but struggles when its difficult. Misplaced passing, arms being flung around constantly. The kid in high school who can be an absolute world beater but gets a bit whingy when he isn't getting his own way.

Campbell - the best I've seen him play yet, but he was knackered when he went off... still getting up to Lg2 fitness and definitely needs a no.9 alongside him.

Charman - I'm worried he isn't even up to super sub fitness yet, let along 90 mins. He was blowing after ten mins last night, and clearly choosing when to chase / be a nuisance to preserve energy. Do we keep playing him to get him fit, or give him a couple of weeks training only first. Its a dilemma.

For the others, much of a muchness to the last few games, and nothing different to what others have said.

More generally, between Charman and Campbell they've played 300 mins (plus some injury time) so far, and not scored a goal yet. That's a worry.

Every time we get a sniff of a penalty we go down (& rarely get them given)... we'd be better still trying to get the shot away and then taking the fall. Give the ref a choice to make... if we don't take the shot the ref can see it as the ball was getting away / chance was gone anyway.

Its getting more boring than frustrating to hear other teams say how good we are... I also worry the rhetoric from RS previously about 3/4 games unbeaten can be giving a false sense of calmness to the players (although he generally goes on to say we haven't won enough, the soundbite about unbeaten is the one people talk about). I'm still firmly Stockdale in, and at the start of the season would've taken 22nd and being fan owned, but we need to start seeing results quickly. There is always one team around where we are now that makes a play off push, & I thought that could be us. Now I'm worried we're the opposite and could be the team that was expected to be comfortable in mid table being dragged into a real scrap.

5 points outside the bottom 2, and struggling to see where the next win comes from. The next 2 games are huge for us. If fit, I think I'd like to see..

Coleman
Downing O'Connell Dorsett
O'Keeffe Clark
Ball
Newby Grant
Campbell Charman

Probably our best team if we are sticking to the 3/5 at the back. No point hoping for another formation, as we seem to be building a squad for this one.
Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 08:12 - Feb 9 with 3550 viewsD_Alien

Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 00:57 - Feb 9 by Sandyman

To be fair, Robbie's post-match analysis is brutally honest. As they always are. None of this "the players were wonderful" nonsense BBM used to spurt after a pathetic performance that shamed the club. Bottomley creaming himself because somebody said something "nice" about us. Graham Barrow used to bang on about how good opposition managers said Andy Farrell and Mark Leonard were when we knew they weren't. Robbie is peed off that opposition managers say we are good but we lose. RS doesn't like that. Rightly so, we need the points and I reckon he'll sort it out. Stockdale in for me.

I agree, and think the most important point he makes is about taking the lead but then stopping doing the things that got us there, like pressing. Changing the collective mindset to stop that happening won't be easy but with new players coming in he's got a better chance

Big game coming up at the weekend. If the players were to succumb to the kind of negativity some fans fall into, it reduces our chances of success. Let's stay positive and not transmit lack of nerve to the lads on the pitch

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 08:27 - Feb 9 with 3501 viewsTomRAFC

Kelly has clearly been spotted as a danger man and opposition teams are no longer giving him space to pull strings.

I rate him as a player but he's going to get far less time on the ball to pick his passes than he used to.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2022 8:30]

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Login to get fewer ads

Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 08:31 - Feb 9 with 3491 viewsdingdangblue

With regards to the keeper situation I don't think either are great. Lynch has 9 appearances and 1 win, Coleman has 18 appearances and 5 wins. Lynch is a good shot stopper but his height and presence are a big issue. Coleman has height and a bit more presence (not brilliant but better) but he is more likely to make a mistake like last night. I think he'll stick with Coleman but I'd get rid of both next season.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 09:22 - Feb 9 with 3333 views1907

Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 07:59 - Feb 9 by HullDale

Some thoughts on last night having slept on it.

Coleman - kept us in it with a couple of worldy saves, but their second is an absolute howler. I'm also getting bored of seeing him & O'Connell argue about whether Coleman is passing it out, or tapping it to O'Connell to do. Surely they should know by now.

Clark - not had the same impact as his debut in any game since... the early crosses seem to have stopped (being coached out / told not to?) and positioning last night wasn't great, admittedly against a couple of good players.

O'Keeffe - seems half the player he was without Newby & Beesley to bounce off. Rolled his ankle in the warm up (I'm surprised he played with the amount of strapping they put on it) which might explain him MIA for a lot of the match, but he was constantly being berated by O'Connell & Downing for being out of position / too far forward / not taking throw ins etc

Broadbent - moments of strong, no nonsense badgering and tackling followed by moments where it looks like the first time he has kicked a football. Inconsistent, and with the position we're in I don't think its the right time to be letting him get up to speed. We need players playing who are reliable, consistent and can just get stuff done.

Ball - I said after ten minutes he (if O'Connell goes) will be Captain next year. Huge presence, constantly talking, popping up all over the pitch, and an absolute shithouse too to the opposition. After his goal he was proper laying into their defender, telling him it was his fault for not marking him etc... he had a couple of their players in his pocket until his legs started to go.

Kelly - I'm beginning to fear he is a good player in winning teams, but struggles when its difficult. Misplaced passing, arms being flung around constantly. The kid in high school who can be an absolute world beater but gets a bit whingy when he isn't getting his own way.

Campbell - the best I've seen him play yet, but he was knackered when he went off... still getting up to Lg2 fitness and definitely needs a no.9 alongside him.

Charman - I'm worried he isn't even up to super sub fitness yet, let along 90 mins. He was blowing after ten mins last night, and clearly choosing when to chase / be a nuisance to preserve energy. Do we keep playing him to get him fit, or give him a couple of weeks training only first. Its a dilemma.

For the others, much of a muchness to the last few games, and nothing different to what others have said.

More generally, between Charman and Campbell they've played 300 mins (plus some injury time) so far, and not scored a goal yet. That's a worry.

Every time we get a sniff of a penalty we go down (& rarely get them given)... we'd be better still trying to get the shot away and then taking the fall. Give the ref a choice to make... if we don't take the shot the ref can see it as the ball was getting away / chance was gone anyway.

Its getting more boring than frustrating to hear other teams say how good we are... I also worry the rhetoric from RS previously about 3/4 games unbeaten can be giving a false sense of calmness to the players (although he generally goes on to say we haven't won enough, the soundbite about unbeaten is the one people talk about). I'm still firmly Stockdale in, and at the start of the season would've taken 22nd and being fan owned, but we need to start seeing results quickly. There is always one team around where we are now that makes a play off push, & I thought that could be us. Now I'm worried we're the opposite and could be the team that was expected to be comfortable in mid table being dragged into a real scrap.

5 points outside the bottom 2, and struggling to see where the next win comes from. The next 2 games are huge for us. If fit, I think I'd like to see..

Coleman
Downing O'Connell Dorsett
O'Keeffe Clark
Ball
Newby Grant
Campbell Charman

Probably our best team if we are sticking to the 3/5 at the back. No point hoping for another formation, as we seem to be building a squad for this one.

I agree with absolutely everything you've said in that post.

" No point hoping for another formation, as we seem to be building a squad for this one" - The major concern I have with this, is that it is the formation which is seeing either Campbell or Charman completely isolated up top & unable to impact games.

It is becoming somewhat BBM'ish to blindly stick with something that isn't getting the required results.

There is no way in hell Harrogate would expect us to set up with 4 at the back & 2 up top on Saturday, so surely that would be the most logical thing to do?

If Downing is fit, or injured I think we should just mix it up & give it a go.

Start with Charman & Campbell & if it goes wrong, we can always just as easily bring a centre half on & revert the formation - isn't that what subs are for?
Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 09:43 - Feb 9 with 3260 viewsdiver

Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 09:22 - Feb 9 by 1907

I agree with absolutely everything you've said in that post.

" No point hoping for another formation, as we seem to be building a squad for this one" - The major concern I have with this, is that it is the formation which is seeing either Campbell or Charman completely isolated up top & unable to impact games.

It is becoming somewhat BBM'ish to blindly stick with something that isn't getting the required results.

There is no way in hell Harrogate would expect us to set up with 4 at the back & 2 up top on Saturday, so surely that would be the most logical thing to do?

If Downing is fit, or injured I think we should just mix it up & give it a go.

Start with Charman & Campbell & if it goes wrong, we can always just as easily bring a centre half on & revert the formation - isn't that what subs are for?

Just looked at weather forecast for Saturday appears to be plenty of rain expected!!
Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 09:54 - Feb 9 with 3227 viewsdingdangblue

Oldham - 0 shots on target
Colchester - 2 shots on target
Forest Green - 1 shot on target

Charman and Campbell must both start on Saturday and we must get more balls into the box. This formation isn't creating enough goal scoring opportunities: 3 opposition saves in 270 mins of football is going to get us relegated no matter how good we look passing it around. You can't possibly win enough games with stats like that.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 10:04 - Feb 9 with 3191 views1907

Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 09:43 - Feb 9 by diver

Just looked at weather forecast for Saturday appears to be plenty of rain expected!!

Thankfully there doesn't appear to be too much rainfall between now & then so hopefully the pitch may get a bit of a breather.
Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 12:23 - Feb 9 with 2893 viewsBucketBstard

Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 22:09 - Feb 8 by EllDale

This is the big test for RS, with or without the mentoring skills of Sammy Lee.
Will be a long coach ride back for all concerned.
There are now some genuine six pointers coming up in the next few weeks.
Just hope that the confidence of some of the younger players eg Taylor, Broadbent isn’t completely shot.
I know that it may unbalance things but is there a case, if Downing isn’t fit on Saturday, of giving McNulty a run in defence?
And get Newby partnered with O’Keeffe on the right again.

Sorry marked you down by mistake, but was shocked by the name of McNumpty mentioned to return to the defence. LOL He has been a complete liability since he has been here. Can anybody count the number of games he has put a show on for us?
RS has signed some shocking defenders in Graham , Taylor and Dorsett. We will be in a relegation dog fight soon and I do not have much confidence in the majority of the team to dig us out.
Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 12:27 - Feb 9 with 2881 viewskel

Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 12:23 - Feb 9 by BucketBstard

Sorry marked you down by mistake, but was shocked by the name of McNumpty mentioned to return to the defence. LOL He has been a complete liability since he has been here. Can anybody count the number of games he has put a show on for us?
RS has signed some shocking defenders in Graham , Taylor and Dorsett. We will be in a relegation dog fight soon and I do not have much confidence in the majority of the team to dig us out.

Back to being negative again are we?

“LOL”
Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 12:52 - Feb 9 with 2780 views49thseason

Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 12:23 - Feb 9 by BucketBstard

Given the circumstances when Stockdale was appointed he had to sign who he could find and afford, Taylor has a decent pedigree, Graham is a big unit but has unfortunately turned out to be injury prone, Dorsett was given dogs abuse on here by many at first but has turned out to be the best of the three so far, hopefully Taylor and Graham will improve under Stockdale's coaching regime.
The squad cant be the finished thing after 27 games in season 1 given where we started, Stockdale probably needs another 2 windows to get to where he ideally wants to be in squad terms. I have no doubt there will be players leaving in the summer and some contractual negotiations to iron out. Equally there will be more new arrivals. Stockdale's only worry right now is to keep us out of the bottom 2 places in the division by hook or by crook.
Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 14:23 - Feb 9 with 2626 viewsCedar_Room

Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 12:52 - Feb 9 by 49thseason

Given the circumstances when Stockdale was appointed he had to sign who he could find and afford, Taylor has a decent pedigree, Graham is a big unit but has unfortunately turned out to be injury prone, Dorsett was given dogs abuse on here by many at first but has turned out to be the best of the three so far, hopefully Taylor and Graham will improve under Stockdale's coaching regime.
The squad cant be the finished thing after 27 games in season 1 given where we started, Stockdale probably needs another 2 windows to get to where he ideally wants to be in squad terms. I have no doubt there will be players leaving in the summer and some contractual negotiations to iron out. Equally there will be more new arrivals. Stockdale's only worry right now is to keep us out of the bottom 2 places in the division by hook or by crook.

My worry is that those other windows will be spent in the National League. We can’t afford for a new manager to get up to speed at the expense of our league status. I think RS has been given universal support, despite little on the pitch warranting it - but it’s starting to feel like last season. Our players are decent and we should be in a better position than we are.
Not scoring goals or even creating chances.
Sticking with a formation that isn’t working.
I hope RS does show his worth and I’m not yet at the stage where I’m calling for him to go but there are too many echoes of last season to ignore and if things don’t improve quickly and we do get dragged into the relegation battle can any of us really say we’d be surprised based on everything we’ve seen so far? And based on what we’ve seen so far are we really confident the team would survive??
Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 14:40 - Feb 9 with 2572 viewsjonahwhereru

Not going to re hash on a lot of what has been said, but my first live game of the season so my takes are.
We played well on a difficult assignment. Errors by a combination of Dooley / Taylor and Clark / Coleman cost us. But we got negative when we went in front and I suspect the side lack belief.

O’Keeffe need to stop going to ground and sharpish. Clark faced a quality opponent but was poor, which surprised me. Terrible pass which led to winner. The centre half’s are quality, but if Downing isn’t available I would use Jim in a three, if we stick with that formation. I really like both Kelly, who I thought played well and Grant, and playing alongside Ball may be the making of them. As for Ball he is strong and tenacious, plus not L1 fit yet. Saw shades of Jonah in him, but also Vincenti in the way we used his height to win headers. There is real promise there but don’t want to burden him with expectation.
The spearhead was constantly isolated, be-it Charman or Campbell. They will start to loose confidence if they are not getting any chances.
I wouldn’t be surprised if that is Broadbent's last start.
This is now the team of RS and I back him to sort it.
UTDNFS
Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 14:44 - Feb 9 with 2565 viewsDale_4_Life

What a crappy night. Could have won it and should have at least had a draw. FGR looked better than Dale in most departments pick the bones out of that!

Robbie is the man for now and the foreseeable... I would just like to see a team that dominates for longer periods in a game. The way we set up we have nice bits of interplay but we never really string a full Half or even 20/25 minutes of intense pressure when you think it will not be long a goal is definitely coming here.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2022 14:46]
Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 14:57 - Feb 9 with 2529 viewsShun

Out of interest I don’t think the formation should be limiting us at much as it is. FGR have played all season with 3/5 at the back, and they also have 2 up front. Their wing-backs are the two most productive defenders in the league, and their front 2 are by far the most potent. There’s absolutely no reason we can’t keep the wing-back system and also have 2 up front, especially now we have a bit of steel in midfield in Ball.
Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 16:17 - Feb 9 with 2374 viewssamueloneils

As an exile only just watched the IFollow of yesterday.

But for a piece of pure incompetence from Coleman in letting a weak header pass through his hands, and under no pressure, they would probably have gained a point against clearly the best team in the division- a team with no obvious weaknesses.

Q. Why only one man upfront?.Surely it is obvious Campbell is no target man.
Q. Why only a few runs from O Keeffe, one of which we scored from?
Q. Why did Clark make no runs forward at all?
Q. Who plays if Downing unfit? Never though I`d say this, but probably McNulty.
Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 17:00 - Feb 9 with 2270 viewsdingdangblue

Wasn't McNulty's last start the 4-2 defeat at Bristol?

Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 18:32 - Feb 9 with 2092 viewsAltDaleComms

Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 20:29 - Feb 9 with 1875 viewsD_Dale

https://www.skysports.com/football/forest-green-rovers-vs-rochdale/448804

Had Dale taken a point, this thread would have been full of praise for the team that matched a top-of-the-table side. But the disappointment of getting nothing perhaps makes for some angry responses that are too critical. There are plenty of points to play for yet!
Match thread Forest Green / Watch the match tonight on ifollow on 06:29 - Feb 10 with 1553 viewsforeverhopefulDale

For anyone who had the food down at FGR, what was it like? Was it tasty and good value?

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024