Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
T' 2022 cricket season 11:22 - Apr 14 with 42945 viewsD_Alien

So Lancs finally start against Kent at Canterbury, a game behind most of their rivals (except Yorkshire)

We're back to a post-Covid more traditional two-division setup with more red ball cricket being played mid-summer

No Jimmy Anderson in the line-up

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

T' 2022 cricket season on 10:25 - Oct 7 with 925 viewsAtThePeake

T' 2022 cricket season on 08:29 - Oct 7 by frenzied

Thanks for that..hadnt seen the cover on elbows and forearms..perhaps not compulsory wear?

Also how is the nationality of a cricketer determined?,,is it where they are born or can it be like footy where the parents nationality is considered?

For example im sure Haaland was born in Yorkshire but plays for Norway
[Post edited 7 Oct 2022 8:30]

Cricket has a bit of an issue with players able to change nationality and the case of Jofra Archer in particular caused a bit of a stir. He held British citizenship through his father but was born in Barbados and had played for the West Indies at U19 level and originally the rule was that if you hadn't lived in England before your 18th birthday then you needed to complete a seven year residency before you could be selected. The ECB changed that to 3 years (which most countries already had as the norm), otherwise he wouldn't have been able to play for England until this year.

You'd be surprised how many non-English born players play for England off the top of my head in the current crop there is

Archer & Jordan (West Indies), Roy (South Africa) Tom Curran (Zimbabwe) and Stokes (NZ). At least four of the brilliant 2010/2011 Ashes winning team were born in South Africa IIRC.

Tangled up in blue.

T' 2022 cricket season on 12:16 - Oct 7 with 874 viewsEllDale

It's always been the case I think.
Colin Cowdrey was born in India and Ted Dexter in Milan yet both captained England.
As did Mike Denness who was Scottish!
T' 2022 cricket season on 12:49 - Oct 7 with 850 viewsD_Alien

T' 2022 cricket season on 12:16 - Oct 7 by EllDale

It's always been the case I think.
Colin Cowdrey was born in India and Ted Dexter in Milan yet both captained England.
As did Mike Denness who was Scottish!

This goes back a long way

The Nawab of Pataudi played for England in the infamous 1932/33 "Bodyline" series in Australia. He was dropped by his captain Jardine (who himself was born in India) despite scoring a century, after objecting that the tactics were ungentlemanly!

Before him, Ranjitsinhji who was ruler of the state of Nawanagar, first played for England in 1896 (i remember it well)

[Post edited 7 Oct 2022 12:54]

T' 2022 cricket season on 20:48 - Oct 12 with 701 viewsisitme

A very interesting England squad for the tour of Pakistan. Jennings gets his reward for an excellent season and looks likely to open with Crawley. The lack of a second spinner is a real indictment of county cricket. Root and one of Livingstone or Jacks may have to bowl a lot of overs. Although if pitches are too spin friendly it does negate some of the strength in depth that Pakistan has in its seam bowling department. It is good to see Wood and Jamie Overton offer a bit more pace to the attack. Stokes' reverse swing could be invaluable with the older ball. It should be a good series.
T' 2022 cricket season on 21:50 - Oct 12 with 651 viewsD_Alien

T' 2022 cricket season on 20:48 - Oct 12 by isitme

A very interesting England squad for the tour of Pakistan. Jennings gets his reward for an excellent season and looks likely to open with Crawley. The lack of a second spinner is a real indictment of county cricket. Root and one of Livingstone or Jacks may have to bowl a lot of overs. Although if pitches are too spin friendly it does negate some of the strength in depth that Pakistan has in its seam bowling department. It is good to see Wood and Jamie Overton offer a bit more pace to the attack. Stokes' reverse swing could be invaluable with the older ball. It should be a good series.

Livingstone hasn't bowled in red ball cricket since the end of the 2021 season, but it'd be really interesting to see how he got on, on spin-friendly wickets with his variations. You'd think his batting would fit right in with the current ethos lower down the order too, i hope he gets his chance

A very different but fascinating series for Stokes and McCullum to try to continue with the current momentum

T' 2022 cricket season on 15:07 - Oct 15 with 547 viewsStatzdale

Littleborough CC team of the season in the Lancashire League. First and Second teams both division winners and U18 joint champions. Plus a certain Clinton Perren scoring his 20,000th run in 15 seasons at the club. The future is looking bright at Hare Hill
[Post edited 15 Oct 2022 15:09]
T' 2022 cricket season on 19:58 - Oct 15 with 468 viewsEllDale

I always used to think that the Lancashire League looked down on the CLL quite unjustifiably.
OK, so a lot of their expensive professionals were better but the standard of the amateur players was about the same.
The way that things have shaken down since all the various regional leagues reorganised proves this to my mind.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024