Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? 13:02 - Jan 25 with 6163 viewsSaintNick

I sat last night amongst a fair few people whose only words of encouragement to our players was to demand they leave the pitch or to call them ****, I read social media and one here and read nothing but abuse, there always has to be a scapegoat, always has to be someone to blame for some.

Since the summer of 2014 there has been constant slagging off of this football club, even reaching cup semi finals & indeed in 2017 a cup final wasn't good enough for many.

They all claim the club has no ambition, then on the other hand take pride in telling the world they won't be renewing season tickets or going to matches.

Last night there were the best part of 1,800 empty seats in the ground and this for a cup semi final FFS. Where is the ambition of the fans, the answer is knocked out of them by the constant barrage of negative comments about the club.

Our new owners havent been given a chance by some !

Truth is a small minority started calling everything **** in the summer of 2014 and have continued to do so ever since and slowly but surely worn the rest down so they all believe it.

They think we have a god given right to be in the Premier League and we should spend our way to the top six and that it is as easy as that !

The truth is in the last 9 years we have had as good a time as most clubs outside of the big 6, up to this season in the last 8 seasons we have had 4 top 10 finishes, an 11th place, 2 15th's and up till now just one relegation battle in that time, we have also reached 4 cup semi finals, one of which we reached the final.

This period of time has been as good virtually any period in our history , aside from 1976-86, yet it is still not enough for some.

I sat in the ground last night and thought that for many now the main attraction of supporting Saints is not to encourage them and cheer them on, but sit there like Waldorf & Stadler in the Muppet Show constantly sniping at who is the latest Fozzie Bear in front of them.

The enjoyment now seems to be about having a good moan and being able to boast on social media that you were right.

I'm not having a go at the "fans" as some would claim I do, nor am I claiming to be the best supporter in the world, indeed the majority of supporters who get behind their team.

I know that last night I watched the game with the sole aim of us winning and hopefully the whole team doing well, I cheered them on and offered words of encouragement, there were many there who will not be able to say that.

Discuss

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 13:17 - Jan 25 with 3783 viewsMytchettSaint

A while ago you suggested if Saints were ruining your weekend, perhaps it was time to find something else to do. I took those comments onboard and when we were getting humped by Brighton or beaten by Fulham and then Forest I just shrugged and used the day for what it was. I went up to Everton and was given renewed hope.
I don’t agree with the bashing of Jones although I wouldn’t have appointed him had it been down to me.
That said, I can’t find anything positive to say about the club at the moment. If you can give me a positive, I’ll grab it with both hands.
The cup game this Saturday is £17:50 for the ticket, I can’t be arsed as it’s difficult enough dragging myself down there for league games at the moment. We might well win but I want a Saturday at home this weekend. I’m fed up walking away from the ground after another plucky defeat.
That’s on the owners, not on the fans to change round.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 13:22 - Jan 25 with 3759 viewsNumber_58

It's funny how certain players become scapegoats. I mean, for season after season you blamed most of our woes on Jack Stephens, yet Che Adams' weekly failure to locate a barn door rarely, if ever get a mention in your reports.
Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 13:38 - Jan 25 with 3729 viewsCCSFC

At the moment, No, not really.

I appreciate what you say and agree with your view point, i think we were spoilt for a couple of seasons and assumed / hoped that it would continue that way and we would be up there in and around the European places for the foreseable future.

Reality then Hits and the players that got us there get sold and not replaced, there is no blame attached to that, some transfers will work and some wont, its always a Gamble regardless of the club and/or player (Look at Torres to Chelsea or Sanchez to Man Utd, some clubs/players just dont work) I think at least (recently) we have gone for younger players with resale value if they dont work out so financially the club shouldnt be at risk.

The problem there is with younger players there is the inconsistency, and they only become more consistent after a couple of years playing consistently and making mistakes and hopefully learning. Somthing that in this league will often cost you points.

There is no quick fix to anything, there is no guarantee changing manager will help, or buying a £30m striker will help, or playing a different formation will help. It might, maybe for a short time or maybe for a longer time, but eventually it will all change again, especially for a club of our size and stature in the game.

I do get frustrated watching players make sooo many individual mistakes and have a little 'FFS' to myself throughout games. But i wouldnt Boo a player or shout out that theyre s*** etc. Because theyre clearly not, Lyanco clearly isnt Van Dijk, Djenepo clearly isnt Mane, Adams clearly isnt Lambert, so lets not expect them to play like them, then abuse them when they dont.

I have nothing positive to say about Southampton FC because at the moment we are bottom of the league, not, in my opinion playing well at all, looking like getting out of it via relegation only.

At the end of the season if we stay up i will be blindingly optimistic that next season will be better, if we get relegated i will be blindingly optimistic we will get promoted, all until we have another poor game/run and accept we are where we are today and no amount of hoping or reminiscing of how good we 'were' will change that.

It also Grates on me that 90% of the songs we sing are about hating Pompey, regardless of the opposition, but thats just me.

Poll: How many 'West Ham interested in....' News stories will we see by deadline day?

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 13:42 - Jan 25 with 3718 viewsSaintNick

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 13:22 - Jan 25 by Number_58

It's funny how certain players become scapegoats. I mean, for season after season you blamed most of our woes on Jack Stephens, yet Che Adams' weekly failure to locate a barn door rarely, if ever get a mention in your reports.

You are right, but it is easier to pinpoint errors at the back in defending than strikers missing chances when the keeper has made a good save.

Adams is getting some stick some justified and some not, but it is about the perception, in the 20th league game of last season Armando Broja scored his 5th League goal of the season, so far Adams has got 4, yet most fans would hail Broja as a great finisher and Adams as rubbish, it is about what Adams does next.

I didn't make Stephens a scapegoat I wrote about the errors, if those errors hadn't occurred I would not have been able to point them out

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 13:45 - Jan 25 with 3708 viewsSaintNick

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 13:38 - Jan 25 by CCSFC

At the moment, No, not really.

I appreciate what you say and agree with your view point, i think we were spoilt for a couple of seasons and assumed / hoped that it would continue that way and we would be up there in and around the European places for the foreseable future.

Reality then Hits and the players that got us there get sold and not replaced, there is no blame attached to that, some transfers will work and some wont, its always a Gamble regardless of the club and/or player (Look at Torres to Chelsea or Sanchez to Man Utd, some clubs/players just dont work) I think at least (recently) we have gone for younger players with resale value if they dont work out so financially the club shouldnt be at risk.

The problem there is with younger players there is the inconsistency, and they only become more consistent after a couple of years playing consistently and making mistakes and hopefully learning. Somthing that in this league will often cost you points.

There is no quick fix to anything, there is no guarantee changing manager will help, or buying a £30m striker will help, or playing a different formation will help. It might, maybe for a short time or maybe for a longer time, but eventually it will all change again, especially for a club of our size and stature in the game.

I do get frustrated watching players make sooo many individual mistakes and have a little 'FFS' to myself throughout games. But i wouldnt Boo a player or shout out that theyre s*** etc. Because theyre clearly not, Lyanco clearly isnt Van Dijk, Djenepo clearly isnt Mane, Adams clearly isnt Lambert, so lets not expect them to play like them, then abuse them when they dont.

I have nothing positive to say about Southampton FC because at the moment we are bottom of the league, not, in my opinion playing well at all, looking like getting out of it via relegation only.

At the end of the season if we stay up i will be blindingly optimistic that next season will be better, if we get relegated i will be blindingly optimistic we will get promoted, all until we have another poor game/run and accept we are where we are today and no amount of hoping or reminiscing of how good we 'were' will change that.

It also Grates on me that 90% of the songs we sing are about hating Pompey, regardless of the opposition, but thats just me.

It is hard to find positives at the moment, I see your point there, but I am referring to 9 years of constant moaning, even when we finished 8th and got to a cup final that we nearly won , perhaps our 6th/7th best season in our history there were still those who were complaining they weren't being entertained, wanting the manager sacked, moaning about James Ward Prowse etc etc

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 13:52 - Jan 25 with 3686 viewsMytchettSaint

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 13:45 - Jan 25 by SaintNick

It is hard to find positives at the moment, I see your point there, but I am referring to 9 years of constant moaning, even when we finished 8th and got to a cup final that we nearly won , perhaps our 6th/7th best season in our history there were still those who were complaining they weren't being entertained, wanting the manager sacked, moaning about James Ward Prowse etc etc

Puel was unfortunate with injuries and players moving on. I think he was unlucky to be sacked.

Under Koeman. We didn’t break the bank buying players but he was adamant that he wanted experience over youth. It yielded our best season for years. Perhaps, there’s a lesson there to SR.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 13:55 - Jan 25 with 3666 viewssaints__fan__73

Not having a go at fans? Really Nick? If only you could ever be so scathing about those who run the club.

Cup runs are a nice distraction and we've had a nice long go at a few comps the past years but we never win anything do we? Even Birmingham and Swansea have some silverware and let's not mention the similarly sized Leicester.

The ambition knocked out of fans by negative comments? No, it's been knocked out by our last seasons of league finishes 17th, 16th, 11th, 15th and 15th. With less wins both home and away than any other of the 91 league clubs. By owners who think they can 'game the system' with their amazing player trading model which means nothing more than selling our best players and replacing them with inferior ones. We can't score a goal for love or money and yet are still trying to find a goalscorer getting on for 2 years after we sold Ings (and wasted all of his transfer fee on Mara and Armstrong)

And now we are staring pretty near certain relegation in the face as our clueless owners have, for some reason, appointed a manager laughably out of his depth.

So for you to be surprised that we have empty seats in what will ultimately be yet another fruitless cup run is a bit rich...

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 13:57 - Jan 25 with 3662 viewsPatfromPoole

I don’t go that often nowadays; probably 10-15 games a season; though when I do go I will give it plenty in supporting the team as loudly as possible.

BUT this club is being horrifically mismanaged.

The appointment of Jones was a joke.

I therefore get the negativity.

I think supporting the team at the game and then being critical on social media / message boards is a whole heap better than the other way round.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 14:00 - Jan 25 with 3662 viewsdwayne_dibley

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 13:45 - Jan 25 by SaintNick

To the moaners just say fcuk off. I go to meet friends, consume alcohol and ogle the barmaids without the wench watching. The football is the filling in the burger which I either enjoy or not. The club is not owned by a multi-billionaire with lots of slaves and camels. As such Saints will lose games as the PL pressure referees to favour the top six.

Nobody is forcing the moaners to go so they should either get real or sod off

Now what I would like to moan about is the queues at halftime

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 14:02 - Jan 25 with 3651 viewssaints__fan__73

The reason why there was so much negativity towards Puel was that we went for a team than got into Europe and obtained over 60 points to one which got getting on for 20 points less the following season and had less home wins than one of the teams who got relegated.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 14:03 - Jan 25 with 3658 views1885_SFC

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 13:52 - Jan 25 by MytchettSaint

Puel was unfortunate with injuries and players moving on. I think he was unlucky to be sacked.

Under Koeman. We didn’t break the bank buying players but he was adamant that he wanted experience over youth. It yielded our best season for years. Perhaps, there’s a lesson there to SR.

And Koeman was a big named manager who could attract good players on his name alone.

Mention the name Ronald Koeman across Europe & everyone knows who he is.

Mention the name Nathan Jones across Europe & a few sheep in Wales start to shudder.

Old School is Cool

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 14:12 - Jan 25 with 3634 viewsBuggalugs

The Premier League is crap and grinds you down as a supporter. Ironically, the apathy so many fans have stems from our own success and ability to stay in it. This is our 11th consecutive season and after over-achieving for 3 or 4 years after our promotion, reality has well and truly set in.

It is impossible to compete with clubs that are owned by such wealth and with every new season, the pool of super spenders only increases. I don't get what people expect from us, because unless we get the same fortunes as a Man City or a Newcastle, we're only there to make up the numbers. It's boring, but it's the reality of it. I accept that, but many can't and chose to blame anyone and everything.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 14:14 - Jan 25 with 3635 viewsdwayne_dibley

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 14:03 - Jan 25 by 1885_SFC

And Koeman was a big named manager who could attract good players on his name alone.

Mention the name Ronald Koeman across Europe & everyone knows who he is.

Mention the name Nathan Jones across Europe & a few sheep in Wales start to shudder.

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 14:17 - Jan 25 with 3629 viewsCCSFC

I guess thats the nature of the beast.... end of the day its 11 v 11 yes, but with millions watching.... over the weekend half the fans in the world will be happy, half wont . . . thats a good few tens of millions of people moaning over a game .... Mad when you think about it.

I guess its a bit like the news.... the good news is taken for granted and never mentioned or reported on, all the news is bad news, bit like football fans, we could win 10 in a row and the FA cup and the talk will be about the missed chance in a game we won, or bad pass, or substitution we dont agree with. All the good gets taken for granted and ignored, i guess as its boring and less controversial than slagging players off and having a moan.

Maybe its just a human thing, if something good happens you are happy, thats it, nothing needs to be done or debated as you are happy. If something bad happens you are angry or upset, you have ideas to change it or what you think should have happened instead or what you would do differently... this is obviously verbally communicated to anyone within earshot.

Poll: How many 'West Ham interested in....' News stories will we see by deadline day?

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 15:06 - Jan 25 with 3491 viewsMattFinish

I’ll have a good thing to say if they finally go out and buy a striker with a better scoring record of 1 goal every 4 or 5 games
Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 15:29 - Jan 25 with 3410 viewskingslandstand1

Look on the bright side, right now we could be Everton or do you want us to behave like their fans and really stand up and shout, with physical and actual (alleged) threats to the directors with them being advised not to turn up at THEIR ground for their own safety.

Ok, they get a response from the owner, and that just increases the hatred towards the board but as they look for their annual new owner they are also facing the precipice

it's not good all round, unless you are a Brighton, Fulham, Brentford fan for us minions in the Premier League, or Arsenal and Newcastle with their fortunes (and look what that has done to the Newcastle fans where they are now behaving like the Blessed at the top table top (big) 6 clubs
Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 15:41 - Jan 25 with 3389 viewssaint901

For me there are perhaps three key issues which have dulled my enthusiasm for Saints. Two of these are not directly related to the club but have contributed to my giving up a ST and having membership instead.

First, powerless as I am to do anything about it, the PL has sold its soul to the highest bidder. Just today I read about Chelsea exploiting the FFP rules by signing players on long term contracts to spread the transfer fees. I'm sure they're not alone in doing that. Within a decade the PL will (assuming it's not been surpassed by a European Super League that I think is inevitable), be filled with clubs that are rich by virtue of their name (MU, Liverpool, Arsenal) or because they are owned by sovereign funds (City, NU) or billionaire hedge funds (Chelsea) or because they are playthings of rich people. They will all manipulate the financial rules and players will go where their greedy agents send them.

I would not be surprised to see a league of 8 to 10 clubs in the domestic PL, playing against the best in Europe every other week.

Coupled with this rise in the super wealthy, we will see an increase in players diving, cheating, rolling round and generally trying to gain unfair advantage. And the refs and the FA and the rest will be utterly helpless to stop it. Clubs like ours will be relegated to a UK only league and any chance of promotion will vanish because rich boys and girls don't like to share their toys.

Second, and directly club related, where is the plan? I absolutely understand that we don't have the resources to play with the big boys and that every season the gap between us and the monied clubs grows, but what are we? If we are to be mid table, sometimes top 8 team, we can't buy that and we need to grow it.

Our academy, once recognised as the best in the league is now reamed of talent and people. Our best young players are just not coming through and that decline is just going one way. Where is the connection with "smaller" clubs in other leagues? Even the Turkish club owned by our owners think we are below them!

Show me how we maintain where we are because in this league standing still really is going backwards.

Thirdly, the team and the coaching. We're all used to seeing Saints teams pouring forward, often picking up a spanking, sometimes winning 4-3 or 3-2. Even if we lost narrowly, we had a go. Accepting that the game has moved on and teams coming into the PL who played like that in the Championship soon drop that for a more cautious approach (Leeds, Forest, Bournemouth), there is still a place for establishing an identity.

We have no identity. We can be good one game, poor the next, gallant triers one game, a shambles the next. That inconsistency starts with the coaching and in my view it declined under RH and certainly at the moment NJ has not imposed his character on the team or the attitude we need. Some encouraging signs recently spoilt by being a couple of decent players short of a team.

So, cynical about where the whole game is going, frustrated by a lack of transparency in ownership, poor coaching and player selection.

All of this turns me off watching and certainly paying to watch.
Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 16:14 - Jan 25 with 3329 viewskingslandstand1

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 14:00 - Jan 25 by dwayne_dibley

To the moaners just say fcuk off. I go to meet friends, consume alcohol and ogle the barmaids without the wench watching. The football is the filling in the burger which I either enjoy or not. The club is not owned by a multi-billionaire with lots of slaves and camels. As such Saints will lose games as the PL pressure referees to favour the top six.

Nobody is forcing the moaners to go so they should either get real or sod off

Now what I would like to moan about is the queues at halftime

"Nobody is forcing the moaners to go so they should either get real or sod off"

Then Nick really would moan at the attendances (jesting Nick .............)

But I think Dwayne is right. The day is treated as a boys day out getting together a couple of hours before kick off for a lager or three, and then to moan at half time in the concourse about who was the crappiest in that half and then watch them play well in the 2nd half obviously having heard us moan about them. After the game it's back to the pub to dissect everything that is wrong with the club and game in general and what on earth is the [point of making 89th minute substitutions when you're already 2 down or something

The 95 minutes of football in between all that is def up there for letting off steam and shouting support, and abuse (well some) and feeling all sorts of emotions from the delight of scoring that equaliser last night throwing a few fks back at the Geordies, oooh rrr ya, and then back down to the pits of emotion as VAR found a hair on Armstrong's arm was enough to disallow the goal and completely ruin the game as a spectacle.

The atmosphere was good last night and it wasn't a bad game, just as well they didn't have their shooting boots on
(No subject) (n/t) on 17:03 - Jan 25 with 3254 viewsTripleNiemi

Had typed stuff, lost signal so böllox, no further comment.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2023 17:20]

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 18:38 - Jan 25 with 3110 viewsfelly1

In recent seasons we generally lose most the time, particularly at home.
It's just grim and depressing. It really taints your week.
I always back the players and manager.
But ultimately they're not good enough.
It's not complicated.
I only still endure the dross because my 9 year old is enthralled with football.
Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 20:00 - Jan 25 with 2985 viewsNewdawn2014

The dictionary meaning states, complaining about something usually trivial , I dont think some fans would agree with " trivial " in regard to the current situation.
(No subject) (n/t) on 20:27 - Jan 25 with 2954 viewskingslandstand1

(No subject) (n/t) on 17:03 - Jan 25 by TripleNiemi

Such apathy towards our team!
(No subject) (n/t) on 07:54 - Jan 26 with 2681 viewsdwayne_dibley

(No subject) (n/t) on 17:03 - Jan 25 by TripleNiemi

cannot get a decent signal inside SMS, a giant Farady cage. It is really giving my old iPhone a battery meltdown. With no access to inane Whatsapp messages I am being forced to actually watch the whole game. Not good.

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 11:57 - Jan 26 with 2562 viewsdirk_doone

Considering results over the last few years, Saints fans are a fairly loyal lot, home and away. If Liverpool had the same results, their fans would break world records for moaning and stay away in droves.

In their years of top flight mediocrity in the 1930s their attendances often fell below 10,000 in spite of a capacity of more than 55,000 and I'm sure their whingeing would have been second to none.

I sometimes look at other clubs' messageboards, after they lose, and they are nearly always a lot more negative than this one. I also remember when we had our success under Pochettino and Koeman, how positive this board was. In fact, even when we reached the top of the table under Hassenhutl, there was absolute joy on here.

Saints' record in 2022 was the worst in the league. That's why there weren't a lot of positive posts. Under the same circumstances there wouldn't have been at any other club either.

[Post edited 26 Jan 2023 12:10]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 12:14 - Jan 26 with 2501 viewsgrumpy

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 11:57 - Jan 26 by dirk_doone

Considering results over the last few years, Saints fans are a fairly loyal lot, home and away. If Liverpool had the same results, their fans would break world records for moaning and stay away in droves.

In their years of top flight mediocrity in the 1930s their attendances often fell below 10,000 in spite of a capacity of more than 55,000 and I'm sure their whingeing would have been second to none.

I sometimes look at other clubs' messageboards, after they lose, and they are nearly always a lot more negative than this one. I also remember when we had our success under Pochettino and Koeman, how positive this board was. In fact, even when we reached the top of the table under Hassenhutl, there was absolute joy on here.

Saints' record in 2022 was the worst in the league. That's why there weren't a lot of positive posts. Under the same circumstances there wouldn't have been at any other club either.

[Post edited 26 Jan 2023 12:10]

Your good with stats,Dirk, how many home games have we won over the last 18 months?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024