Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
There is still time 11:46 - Mar 2 with 3399 viewsDorsetIan

After last night's performance and result, I'm sure everyone wants to throw in the towel.

But we are still only (effectively) 5 point from safety with 14 games to go.

In 2006-07 West Ham United turned around a 10-point deficit with just nine games remaining to secure their survival on the final day. So our survival from here wouldn't be setting any records.

We weren't going to win the FA Cup, at least we can concentrate on the league now.

Selles has a lot to do. Perhaps the continuity candidate was a bad idea in terms of trying to instil some fundamental changes. But let's see - the fat lady isn't singing yet!

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

There is still time on 12:00 - Mar 2 with 2921 viewssaints__fan__73

We'll be lucky to get more than the mid 20s points. We just don't have the players or manager good enough to stay up.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

There is still time on 12:11 - Mar 2 with 2889 viewssaintwizzler

There is time, winnable games.

We may beat Leicester, Palace and Bournemouth.
9 points.
27 points.
Maybe 2/3 draws.

29/30 points total.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

There is still time on 12:14 - Mar 2 with 2890 viewssaints__fan__73

There is still time on 12:11 - Mar 2 by saintwizzler

9 points.
27 points.
Maybe 2/3 draws.

29/30 points total.

I think the lowest total for a team to stay up with in PL history is 34.

There is still time on 12:41 - Mar 2 with 2864 viewsDorsetIan

There is still time on 12:11 - Mar 2 by saintwizzler

9 points.
27 points.
Maybe 2/3 draws.

29/30 points total.

If we're looking at a survival scenario, we've got to assume that we start playing consistently better. Every team that escapes, finds performances from nowhere that were absent or extremely rare before.

But we've beaten both Man City and Chelsea in recent weeks, we know we've got it in us (somewhere!).

So assuming that we're playing better, I would be looking at the games against:

Brentford
Spurs
WHM
Forest
Fulham
Brighton

to pick up the extra points needed. The three wins you mentioned plus 8-10 pts + from the above games, gets us to 35-37 points heading into the final game against Liverpool.

It's a massive stretch but it's not cloud cuckoo land.

There is still time on 13:18 - Mar 2 with 2824 viewsmushinexile

The assumption that there are three winnable games is already flawed. The club I have supported from boyhood for over fifty years lies dead in a profit and loss account. Just another business going out of business.
There is still time on 13:48 - Mar 2 with 2779 views1885_SFC

No chance of staying up I'm sorry to say.

The home defeat to 10-man Wolves was the deciding factor for me & although we won at Chelsea, we followed that up with a really dismal defeat at Leeds.

I'm not & never have been a pessimist. I am a realist however. Ask yourself this ; Are there really 3 teams worse than us?

Really?

Be honest now...

Old School is Cool

There is still time on 13:50 - Mar 2 with 2775 viewsBerber

Whether we stay up or not, it is clear that under the leadership of Semmens, the club has lost its direction, become an economic basket case, mired the squad in mediocrity, made a hash of management recruitment (on at least once and maybe twice) in recent times, and alienated a significant part of the traditionally loyal fan base. He must be due The Rupert Lowe Award for 2023 surely?
There is still time on 14:48 - Mar 2 with 2683 views1teeminants

There is still time on 13:48 - Mar 2 by 1885_SFC

The home defeat to 10-man Wolves was the deciding factor for me & although we won at Chelsea, we followed that up with a really dismal defeat at Leeds.

I'm not & never have been a pessimist. I am a realist however. Ask yourself this ; Are there really 3 teams worse than us?

Really?

Be honest now...

No mate there really isn't 3 teams worse than us whereas in other seasons they stood out a mile but not this season. I think we have the quality just about but i think these players are not the type you would want in the trenches with you that's for sure.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Login to get fewer ads

There is still time on 15:21 - Mar 2 with 2626 views1885_SFC

There is still time on 14:48 - Mar 2 by 1teeminants

No mate there really isn't 3 teams worse than us whereas in other seasons they stood out a mile but not this season. I think we have the quality just about but i think these players are not the type you would want in the trenches with you that's for sure.

Last night proved to me that even the players have given up now. And when that happens - it's curtains for sure.

You'd think those on the fringe of getting a starting place each week would bust a gut & make the most of impressing the boss last night with a "Pick me" attitude & "Look what I can offer the team" display. Instead, just about all of them were piss poor... weren't bothered.

Selles may well be a popular & liked coach... but that's what he is - a coach. I had hopes after the Chelsea win, Selles's first game in charge, but it didn't take long for the players to revert back to what they really are ; a bunch of too laid back, too easy going, too lazy & too 'can't be arsed' tossers. I have no doubt Selles is an easy touch on the training ground & that's why they wanted him to take over the reigns

Old School is Cool

There is still time on 15:52 - Mar 2 with 2562 viewssaints__fan__73

We'll do well to match Pompey's relegation total.

And they started the season off on -9.

There is still time on 18:36 - Mar 2 with 2451 viewsJellybaby

Forever the optimist Ian!

Of course I'd love you to be right, but when the board sent Ralph back to the Austrian Hills, they sent our last chance of survival back with him.

I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.

There is still time on 20:51 - Mar 2 with 2379 viewsDorsetIan

There is still time on 18:36 - Mar 2 by Jellybaby

Forever the optimist Ian!

Of course I'd love you to be right, but when the board sent Ralph back to the Austrian Hills, they sent our last chance of survival back with him.

No point being otherwise, Jelly.

Let's worry about the future when it happens.

There is still time on 21:38 - Mar 2 with 2331 viewsIanSouthstander

There is still time on 14:48 - Mar 2 by 1teeminants

The reason no teams stand out at the bottom of the league is because there are so many poor teams.
Despite 100s of millions spent this season , this is the poorest premier league i can remember.
Other than Brighton , Arsenal , Man U and Newcastle improving , the rest have either stood still or got worse.
Are our players the type you'd want in the trenches with you , probably not. But i think you could say the same for half the teams in the league.
There are still plenty of points to play for. We really must begin getting wins starting with Leicester on saturday.
Can we get out of the bottom 3. Of course we can.
There is still time on 05:34 - Mar 3 with 2072 viewssaintwizzler

There is still time on 21:38 - Mar 2 by IanSouthstander

The reason no teams stand out at the bottom of the league is because there are so many poor teams.
Despite 100s of millions spent this season , this is the poorest premier league i can remember.
Other than Brighton , Arsenal , Man U and Newcastle improving , the rest have either stood still or got worse.
Are our players the type you'd want in the trenches with you , probably not. But i think you could say the same for half the teams in the league.
There are still plenty of points to play for. We really must begin getting wins starting with Leicester on saturday.
Can we get out of the bottom 3. Of course we can.

Fulham too.

We have a squad of Championship standard players apart from JWP, KWP and Lavia (just on him).
The worse area is the defence. There’s not a decent central defender among them. Error ridden.
The marking is woeful.
Some of the kids may cut it eventually but unfortunately for us not now.
January was crying out to spend big on a forward but we got another kid to try and improve and a Championship standard Peter Crouch.

Time will tell who stays and who goes IF we get relegated.
Surely there are relegation wage cuts in the players contracts.
Are these millionaires going to stick around if a better offer comes in?
Of course they ain’t.

Would you?

There is still time on 14:03 - Mar 3 with 1940 viewsmushinexile

A good championship side will be promoted and so it is fair to say that there isn't much difference between the top half of the championship and the bottom half of the premiership.

Our problem is that we were made to look second rate by a fourth division team.

Any delusion that our squad is championship standard will be quite swiftly dispelled next season when we will be propping up the table by Christmas.
There is still time on 14:18 - Mar 3 with 1918 viewsdwayne_dibley

There is still time on 14:03 - Mar 3 by mushinexile

A good championship side will be promoted and so it is fair to say that there isn't much difference between the top half of the championship and the bottom half of the premiership.

Our problem is that we were made to look second rate by a fourth division team.

Any delusion that our squad is championship standard will be quite swiftly dispelled next season when we will be propping up the table by Christmas.

usually feels that way in the pub

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

There is still time on 14:43 - Mar 3 with 1910 viewsIfonly

There is still time on 13:48 - Mar 2 by 1885_SFC

Really?

Be honest now...

I can think of 3 teams worse: Dorking Wanderers, Hayling United and Portsmouth FC.

More seriously, I think Bournemouth might be worse but that's it. One reason for our plight that doesn't get discussed much is that the PL has improved in recent years. The bad teams are better.
There is still time on 15:51 - Mar 3 with 1870 viewsBLEEDRED

Is there any point in staying in the Premiership? If we do, it will just be the same struggle next season. If we do go down there is very little chance of the club returning quickly, most of the team will be off, the club will have to be rebuilt from top to bottom and that could take years!
There is still time on 16:03 - Mar 3 with 1862 viewsTimSaint

There is still time on 15:51 - Mar 3 by BLEEDRED

Is there any point in staying in the Premiership? If we do, it will just be the same struggle next season. If we do go down there is very little chance of the club returning quickly, most of the team will be off, the club will have to be rebuilt from top to bottom and that could take years!

I am usually the optimist, but have felt we are down ever since we lost at home to Forest. To be honest, we have been on the most awful of runs for the last 35+ league games going back into last season, so our position is hardly surprising.

This season we are expecting players who were not good enough last term, to suddenly become proven Prem players.

I am sure there will be an exodus come June, but I'm not convinced many of our players will be in demand, so we may be stuck with some, or have to loan them out cheaply like we have in the past with the likes of Hoedt, FF, Ely etc etc etc

I just hope they have relegation clauses in player contracts !!

TimSaint

There is still time on 17:33 - Mar 3 with 1808 viewsBLEEDRED

There is still time on 16:03 - Mar 3 by TimSaint

I am usually the optimist, but have felt we are down ever since we lost at home to Forest. To be honest, we have been on the most awful of runs for the last 35+ league games going back into last season, so our position is hardly surprising.

This season we are expecting players who were not good enough last term, to suddenly become proven Prem players.

I am sure there will be an exodus come June, but I'm not convinced many of our players will be in demand, so we may be stuck with some, or have to loan them out cheaply like we have in the past with the likes of Hoedt, FF, Ely etc etc etc

I just hope they have relegation clauses in player contracts !!

I was down in Plymouth last weekend and a reporter friend said she had heard a rumour that all the players that signed in January have contracts that allow them to leave if we are relegated for fees less that we paid! I thought it was rubbish at the time, but maybe there could be some truth in it.
There is still time on 18:24 - Mar 3 with 1781 viewsIfonly

There is still time on 17:33 - Mar 3 by BLEEDRED

I was down in Plymouth last weekend and a reporter friend said she had heard a rumour that all the players that signed in January have contracts that allow them to leave if we are relegated for fees less that we paid! I thought it was rubbish at the time, but maybe there could be some truth in it.

Absolutely. Think about it, why would a sought after player sign a long term deal with a club that is likely to be relegated? Saints would agree to these clauses for 2 main reasons: first we were desperate and second we will not want them on premier league wages next year if we are relegated. I fully expect all of the January transfers to leave in the summer.
There is still time on 18:32 - Mar 3 with 1771 viewsIfonly

There is still time on 18:24 - Mar 3 by Ifonly

Absolutely. Think about it, why would a sought after player sign a long term deal with a club that is likely to be relegated? Saints would agree to these clauses for 2 main reasons: first we were desperate and second we will not want them on premier league wages next year if we are relegated. I fully expect all of the January transfers to leave in the summer.

except for James Bree
There is still time on 21:25 - Mar 3 with 1699 viewsNewdawn2014

The towel ,the soap , the bath & the baby .
There is still time on 08:11 - Mar 4 with 1630 viewssaintwizzler

There is still time on 18:32 - Mar 3 by Ifonly

except for James Bree

His name is a cheese will be our RB in The Championship when Livramento and KWP are sold.

There is still time on 08:46 - Mar 4 with 1602 viewscocklebreath

Next seasons starting 11 maybe

Bazunu
Bree-Stephens-Lyanco- Perraud
Diallo-Smallbone
Djenepo - Aribo
A. Armstrong- Balllard

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024