Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ainsworth on Oxford 18:30 - Jul 29 with 18863 viewsQPRSteve

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/2023/july/29/ainsworth-post-oxford/

“I’m pleased with where we are in some aspects but that wasn’t good enough."

Pleased with what?
Ainsworth on Oxford on 13:21 - Jul 30 with 2764 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Ainsworth on Oxford on 20:30 - Jul 29 by Northernr

"if he is fit"

GA dropped his guard for a second when he put his hands over his face before answering that question about JCS. He wanted to say something else but bluffed some b.s answer to cover the facts.
What happened to the heart passion and desire we showed against Watford in his first game for us ,can we find it in 7 days and grab a point to start off ?
Ainsworth on Oxford on 14:26 - Jul 30 with 2607 viewsPunteR

Ainsworth on Oxford on 13:21 - Jul 30 by CLAREMAN1995

GA dropped his guard for a second when he put his hands over his face before answering that question about JCS. He wanted to say something else but bluffed some b.s answer to cover the facts.
What happened to the heart passion and desire we showed against Watford in his first game for us ,can we find it in 7 days and grab a point to start off ?

Yeh i picked up on that too.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Ainsworth on Oxford on 15:06 - Jul 30 with 2502 viewsPinnerPaul

Ainsworth on Oxford on 20:30 - Jul 29 by jtuck

Like many of us, I have a deep sense of foreboding about the season ahead but don't think it's fair to criticize Ainsworth for that interview. He was blunt and honest, said some players were not trying, and mentioned how we are favourites for relegation at the end. He is not sugar coating anything. Neil Critchley vibes.

and we're not actually favourites anyway - not on Paddy Power anyway (5th best/worst)
Ainsworth on Oxford on 15:06 - Jul 30 with 2499 viewsHayesender

Ainsworth on Oxford on 13:21 - Jul 30 by CLAREMAN1995

I'll have to watch it back, but I thought he was just brushing his hair out of his face

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Ainsworth on Oxford on 15:11 - Jul 30 with 2472 viewsPinnerPaul

Ainsworth on Oxford on 21:11 - Jul 29 by Wilkinswatercarrier

A good manager makes players better. In the few months he's been here he has managed to make them worse. That is a fact.

Warburton shipped 14 players out in his first pre season and improved us with a distinct style. If the only tactic u can offer is smack it beyond the opposition fullback then you're out of your depth.

They are not playing for him already.

Well factually speaking he got more points per game than Critchley so not sure the 'fact' is that erm...factual.
Ainsworth on Oxford on 16:19 - Jul 30 with 2335 viewshertshoops

Ainsworth on Oxford on 10:09 - Jul 30 by TK1

When QPR have perhaps one point from the first 18 available, and the natives are in such open revolt as Sunderland lay waste to their team at Loftus Road that the board - as they always do - pierce their long-term plans on short-term relief by sacking Gareth Ainsworth and Richard Dobson...what then?

Because nobody - but nobody - able of making a football-decision let alone designing a footballing plan for QPR is in place at the club to do so. Hoos, Reuben, Bhatia cannot do it, we know that. They've outsourced the search for a new DOF to an American data-analytics firm. They're relaxed about appointing one. Probably won't confirm one until after the window closes. Meanwhile, the job becomes more attractive every week.

"I'm happy about it," said one Tweeter when trying not reveal details of his big news while also letting everyone know he knew first: Les Ferdinand had left. People were very happy about LF throwing his chips in. Those clown memes had worked. But what has replaced that model? A L2/L1 manager of a very small team trying to impose those working practices on an extremely jumped-up Championship club with decades-long delusions of grandeur. It will not hold.

Ainsworth wants to coach the team, pick it, buy the players, sort out the culture, change the fitness routines, do all the media, rearrange the training ground, oversee the playing structures...and by the way, he's doing a Q&A and live PA at Rough Trade East for his band's album the night before Wimbledon away. He's a nice guy and was a good player for QPR, a useful Wycombe manager. But he is not a QPR manager in the 21st century. I read his cheerleaders on here talking about the long-term nature of his work, how we'll feel the benefit from years two-to-three of his tenure onwards. He'll be lucky to get ten months. This is QPR.

The model was good. A DOF and a head coach, aligned, to ensure 16th was the baseline, gradually sneaking upwards. Some disappointing seasons, some good. DOF ultimately in charge to protect a an incapable board from themselves. Now we have this: a sad man in cowboy boots who we once cheered rubbing his face in despair saying a 5-0 defeat away to Oxford United in preseason might be just what we need.

Really reminds me of the Garry Waddock preseason: two good QPR men who do not stand a chance because everything else is in chaos and financial ruin. Then, as now, it's all about what's going on above them. We need a dynamic, engaged, wily DOF and chairman desperately. We have neither.

Absolutely this

Completely agree with whoever mentioned the likes of Dave Brailsford and Clive Woodward types needed for DOF role
Ainsworth on Oxford on 16:29 - Jul 30 with 2282 viewsR_from_afar

Ainsworth on Oxford on 21:25 - Jul 29 by Mick_S

And he’s called them out, like Critchley did. We’ve been here before. Oh dear.

Judging by yesterday's result, the players haven't so much downed tools as locked them in the toolbox and thrown it in the sea.

Desperate times. Not all Ainsworth's fault but unless we start reasonably well, he'll pay with his job for his own failings and those of our other recent managers, our inability to develop Championship standard players, Warburton's overspending and the vice like grip of FFP. Let's face it, apart from a few purple patches, we have been poor and a bottom half team for at least two seasons.

Please don't blame Ainsworth for everything, it's really not all his fault. I didn't want him as our manager, I don't think he's perfect, I just hope he can keep us up and deal with some of our many issues.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Ainsworth on Oxford on 17:29 - Jul 30 with 2113 viewsAntti_Heinola

The Warbs overspending narrative gathers pace.
Let’s get this right: in 3 years he barely paid a fee for anyone. He improved players, had a discernible pattern of play, the players respected him and played for him. We had some poor runs, but he showed he could turn them round. Digging him out for signing Johansen and Austin on big contracts is a little unfair, particularly as it came close to working.

I’d take him back now and give him license to do whatever he thinks needs doing.

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Ainsworth on Oxford on 17:41 - Jul 30 with 2052 viewssilverbirch

Ainsworth on Oxford on 17:29 - Jul 30 by Antti_Heinola

Let’s get this right: in 3 years he barely paid a fee for anyone. He improved players, had a discernible pattern of play, the players respected him and played for him. We had some poor runs, but he showed he could turn them round. Digging him out for signing Johansen and Austin on big contracts is a little unfair, particularly as it came close to working.

I’d take him back now and give him license to do whatever he thinks needs doing.

Refusing to send Andre Grey back to Watford was strange (and probably expensive) though.
Ainsworth on Oxford on 18:06 - Jul 30 with 1963 viewsMick_S

I thought at the time that Rangers made a mistake - I have no clue as to what went on, it was just a gut thing on my part, and who knows how it would have turned out, but I do feel, don’t know, of course, that we would not be in our current situation if he were still here.

I’m with you Antti, I’d have him back tomorrow.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Ainsworth on Oxford on 18:13 - Jul 30 with 1935 viewsR_from_afar

Ainsworth on Oxford on 22:03 - Jul 29 by Northernr

Both. Much better team than us, and sadly far better coached on that evidence.

Yes, Oxford humbled us and yes, it's not good enough from Gareth, but please let's not go go too overboard on Manning based on one friendly. He had a truly shocking end to his spell at MK Dons:

"Following an awful start to the season that found his side in the relegation zone, Manning was sacked on 11 December 2022 having accumulated just fifteen points from twenty matches, six points from safety and only off the bottom on goal difference".

PS: I'm not meaning to have a go at you. We're.all tired, fed up and emotional and the season hasn't even started yet.

At this rate, Rs fans won't be going to the pubs before games, they'll be going to prayer meetings, consulting witch doctors and enlisting the help of shamen

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Ainsworth on Oxford on 18:14 - Jul 30 with 1926 viewsRangersw12

100% agree

Also wasn't Austin a TF signing

Can't blame a manger for overspending anyway IMO all of them want more bodies so it's up to the people above them to say no and not gamble the future of the club
Ainsworth on Oxford on 18:29 - Jul 30 with 1870 viewsR_from_afar

I wanted Warbs to stay and I would welcome him back in a heartbeat. Just so you're clear.

However, it has been stated many times that the economising we are having to do now is a result of what happened when he was in charge. Perhaps bringing in Austin and JoJo was not Warburton's decision, I have no idea.

Ainsworth on Oxford on 18:33 - Jul 30 with 1849 viewsDejR_vu

Ainsworth on Oxford on 18:06 - Jul 30 by Mick_S

I thought at the time that Rangers made a mistake - I have no clue as to what went on, it was just a gut thing on my part, and who knows how it would have turned out, but I do feel, don’t know, of course, that we would not be in our current situation if he were still here.

I’m with you Antti, I’d have him back tomorrow.

We should be crawling over broken glass to get him back. This Board won’t admit the mistake though and why would MW come back anyway?

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Ainsworth on Oxford on 18:36 - Jul 30 with 1838 viewsHammersmithR

Ainsworth looks like a broken man. Think the man is out of his depth like Critchley. I reckon he will be gone by October sadly. I loved the guy as a player but this team is unbelievably poor. Literally no backbone. No centre halves and only one centre mid of any quality. We look like a League 2 side.
Ainsworth on Oxford on 18:39 - Jul 30 with 1827 viewsHeadington

Completely agree. Would also be very happy with Eustace who played a key role in rebuilding after McClaren,and seems to be turning Birmingham round (who were in a worse state than us).

Yes, mistakes were made under Warburton but, as Antti says, on all the big issues, improving young players, establishing a style of attacking football, and making us outside contenders for a play-off position, he delivered.
Ainsworth on Oxford on 18:55 - Jul 30 with 1758 viewsNed_Kennedys

Nice selective viewpoint: he was signing players on contracts that Ainsworth would only dream of nowadays and inherited a squad with some real talent in it and should have done much better than he did with what he had.
Seemed to be his own man so no way would he have had all these expensive players forced upon him either.

Had the best chance we will have for what looks like a long time to get us in the playoffs and blew it: didn’t deserve to have his contract extended.

Not been a manager since he left us and no talk of any interest from any clubs in him either.
Ainsworth on Oxford on 18:57 - Jul 30 with 1753 viewsQPROslo

Ainsworth on Oxford on 18:33 - Jul 30 by DejR_vu

We should be crawling over broken glass to get him back. This Board won’t admit the mistake though and why would MW come back anyway?

If he were offered the DoF position?
Ainsworth on Oxford on 19:13 - Jul 30 with 1711 viewsMick_S

Ainsworth on Oxford on 18:55 - Jul 30 by Ned_Kennedys

Nice selective viewpoint: he was signing players on contracts that Ainsworth would only dream of nowadays and inherited a squad with some real talent in it and should have done much better than he did with what he had.
Seemed to be his own man so no way would he have had all these expensive players forced upon him either.

Had the best chance we will have for what looks like a long time to get us in the playoffs and blew it: didn’t deserve to have his contract extended.

Not been a manager since he left us and no talk of any interest from any clubs in him either.

Ned, we don’t know whether he’s been approached by any one else - I’d argue that his financial situation would give him plenty of time to weigh various opportunities up and pick the one that suits him best. He made mistakes at Rangers, feck me, who hasn’t, but I’d like him to have another go, It’s very unlikely that he does, and I really want Ainsworth to be at least given a chance in the upcoming season. But we need someone who knows what’s going on. I’m not feeling it.

Edit mate. Plenty of hot air on this board, but the general consensus is normally right.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2023 19:16]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Ainsworth on Oxford on 19:40 - Jul 30 with 1641 viewsNed_Kennedys

Warburton would not want to come back Mick: no money to spend on transfers or contracts and a real need to incorporate some youngsters in the squad.
It’s not the same club or situation that he had when he was here.
Ainsworth on Oxford on 20:02 - Jul 30 with 1564 viewsterryb

Ainsworth on Oxford on 18:55 - Jul 30 by Ned_Kennedys

That depends on whether you believe he drove the signings in summer 2021, or whether Ferdinand did. Or whether the owners did.

IMO our owners will spend money that the club can't generate at the smallest drop of a hat! They certainly would have had to approve of the spending at the very least.
Ainsworth on Oxford on 21:04 - Jul 30 with 1451 viewsstainrods_elbow

All of which makes clear I'm mightily relieved you're not in charge of the madhouse at QPR.

The demise under the last few months of Warburton's tenure was savage and entrenched, which he obviously had no idea how to coach/motivate his way out of. It's also laughable how you try to spin Johansen and Austin signings almost working - they both proved to be perpetually injured/unfit, ageing lummoxes once they were no longer playing for contracts. Bar a couple of games under Honest Mick, this club has been on the slide ever since. The rot started under Warburton, and he's as culpable as anyone for our current malaise.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2023 21:07]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Ainsworth on Oxford on 21:13 - Jul 30 with 1415 viewsjtuck

But got job as first team coach at West Ham somehow.

LAranger

Ainsworth on Oxford on 21:20 - Jul 30 with 1385 viewsloftupper

Ainsworth on Oxford on 21:04 - Jul 30 by stainrods_elbow

All of which makes clear I'm mightily relieved you're not in charge of the madhouse at QPR.

The demise under the last few months of Warburton's tenure was savage and entrenched, which he obviously had no idea how to coach/motivate his way out of. It's also laughable how you try to spin Johansen and Austin signings almost working - they both proved to be perpetually injured/unfit, ageing lummoxes once they were no longer playing for contracts. Bar a couple of games under Honest Mick, this club has been on the slide ever since. The rot started under Warburton, and he's as culpable as anyone for our current malaise.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2023 21:07]

Didn't we have the best points record in the Championship over a calendar year under Warburton? Obviously frustrating that seasons do not operate over calendar years and we ended up mid table across both, but it does show that he wasn't far off. Most of us felt that we were a couple of players away from a real promotion push.

Can pretty much guarantee that there will be additions, there are always players in.
Ainsworth on Oxford on 21:20 - Jul 30 with 1382 viewsE15Hoop

Ainsworth on Oxford on 20:52 - Jul 29 by terryb

And how would Gape help? He has played in 25 games since February 2020 & has played less matches at Champiosship level than Andre Dozzell!
[Post edited 29 Jul 2023 20:53]

Then what would your plan be, Terence, me old china?
I'm just predicting what I believe the gameplan will be. Last time I looked, Declan Rice was busy settling himself in a few miles up the road.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024