Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A get rich quick scheme? 17:16 - Aug 18 with 2454 viewsblambo

Buy a club cheaply, liquidate the assets (players worth selling) and disappear into the sunset…
A get rich quick scheme? on 17:18 - Aug 18 with 2439 viewsgrumpy

My thoughts exactly.
A get rich quick scheme? on 17:21 - Aug 18 with 2430 viewsSouthamptonfan

That's our owners. We know who to blame if things continue to go wrong.

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

A get rich quick scheme? on 19:40 - Aug 18 with 2257 viewscocklebreath

I don’t think someone like Wilcox would come in and help oversee such a dispicable plan, I think our owner needs some of the money he wasted last year back, a couple more maybe ABK and sullenana and he’s not far off. Tella and Adams he can start buying some cheaper lower wage players to replace.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

A get rich quick scheme? on 19:50 - Aug 18 with 2244 viewsdirk_doone

I've copied and pasted this from the Fans' Forum thread:

Reading betweeen the lines, the plan is to be a mid-table Championship team until all of the youngsters bought from Man City and Chelsea's academies mature into first team players, get us promoted and then all get sold for a massive profit. I can see how the owners think that might work but I can also see that it could be a disaster. The sale of Lavia for a big profit while new players are brought in on free transfers or loans has obviously added fuel to the owners' dream but done nothing for building a Championship winning team.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

A get rich quick scheme? on 20:38 - Aug 18 with 2175 viewsWinchesterExile

This has to be getting close to the truth because SRs model is to build a stable of mediocre clubs and make a profit from them somehow. You would have thought that the benefit of this model would be the clubs in the stable work together across a number of aspects (player loans, learning from different training techniques, secondment of staff, sharing marketing expertise, mining contacts, etc, etc, etc.) But no, there’s none of this as far as I can see. Therefore the model has to be to be try to maximise the assets you’ve got (the players) by buying low and selling as high as you can get. A cynic might say that SR wasn’t bothered about relegation because it created a situation whereby the club could sell its major assets for big cash.

Now, Nick might say that buying low and selling high has always been the Saints way but I don’t believe this is true. Koeman built a team to challenge the top clubs and he did OK. If the Club had kept to that path we may have pulled it off.

All in all SR have still got a mountain to climb to convince me they know what they’re doing and that they have fans’ best interests at heart.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2023 20:48]
A get rich quick scheme? on 22:08 - Aug 18 with 2073 viewssaint22

A get rich quick scheme? on 19:50 - Aug 18 by dirk_doone

I've copied and pasted this from the Fans' Forum thread:

Reading betweeen the lines, the plan is to be a mid-table Championship team until all of the youngsters bought from Man City and Chelsea's academies mature into first team players, get us promoted and then all get sold for a massive profit. I can see how the owners think that might work but I can also see that it could be a disaster. The sale of Lavia for a big profit while new players are brought in on free transfers or loans has obviously added fuel to the owners' dream but done nothing for building a Championship winning team.

this is exactly it
and the argument that they ploughed a bit of cash into the club is a pretty shallow one when you look at the outlay against now what that is returning Lavia Tino etc
A get rich quick scheme? on 12:12 - Aug 19 with 1865 viewsSouthSeaSaint

An interesting topic to explore.
None of us know the real facts of course but my view is that Sport Republic bought the club for around £100m and took on additional debt (at around 9%?) so effectively valuing the club at £200m.
The debt presumably increased with the purchase of players last season, quite a few of whom have been pretty poor buys (Tall Paul/Orsic etc)
Relegation has a significant financial impact and to my mind, having to offload big earners and those with a decent saleable value, is a direct result of Championship football.
Also those players who are able to maintain, or increase, their wages and contract terms are obviously going to look for a return to top flight football.
It also has to be accepted that the £100m+ received for Tino, JWP, Lavia will not be immediately available to be spent on players as the transfer fees will be staged and this has to be dealt with by then finance team to ensure a suitable cash flow situation.
Having said that I guess we would look to stage our inbound transfers in the same way.
It seems that Russell Martin and Jason Wilcox are aware of the need to get rid of some high earning deadwood and we will all have a view as to who should go.
Personally I dont see any red flags regarding the ownership of Sports Direct but I am an observer not someone in the know.
I reckon we will dance around the top six/mid table until everything begins to settle down towards year end and there may be another foray into the transfer market in January in the hope that this propels us into the top two or at least a Play Off position.
A get rich quick scheme? on 12:55 - Aug 19 with 1832 viewsChesham_Saint

These owners just don’t have the financial muscle needed for PL success. I find it hard to believe a club in SFC’s position/location/infrastructure/support couldn’t attract better.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2023 16:05]

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Login to get fewer ads

A get rich quick scheme? on 13:32 - Aug 19 with 1799 viewsNYC_Saint

A get rich quick scheme? on 12:55 - Aug 19 by Chesham_Saint

These owners just don’t have the financial muscle needed for PL success. I find it hard to believe a club in SFC’s position/location/infrastructure/support couldn’t attract better.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2023 16:05]

As the old adage goes, turkeys don't vote for Christmas. The previous CEO was never going to approve a buyer that didn't work for him remaining in place. He did not present as an impressive CEO and I suspect most suitors would have their own person ready and waiting.

As Steve Jobs once said "As hire As and Bs hire Cs". I think we had a B/C looking not to be superseded by an incoming regime.
A get rich quick scheme? on 08:32 - Aug 21 with 1589 viewsSaintNick

Yes that sounds about right, but our owners have put in £100 million so far and didn't buy the club particularly cheaply, I think they paid about £160 million for a 80% stake.

If this is their aim then why have they bought Goztepe & Valenciennes, they are not going to get rich quick with those two

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

A get rich quick scheme? on 10:05 - Aug 21 with 1521 viewssaints__fan__73

A get rich quick scheme? Are you joking? I think you are giving Banana Republic far too much credit.

I don't think what they've done will get them much of a sniff on Dragon's Den.

1. Buy 80% of a PL club, already substantially in debt and running at multi-million pound losses per year, who are in a league with revenues of £120m per year for £100m.

2. Have transfer net spend of £160m (more than all the cumulative yearly net spends in the club's near 150 history) to finish dead last and be relegated.

3. End up with a club in a league where yearly revenues are around £20m per year with a club now worth around the same amount (not that you could ever find a buyer).

4. Have to sell close to £200m of players just to keep the ship afloat/pay for last season's moronic spending.

Doesn't seem such a great idea to me.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

A get rich quick scheme? on 12:25 - Aug 21 with 1443 viewssaint901

Expecting the manager (or Wilcox or whomever is in charge of buying new players) to have a war chest of even £50m for new players is the triumph of hope over experience.

SR need to recoup most the money wasted last year (largely their own fault) before they think about a plan for a campaign this season.

I'd be absolutely delighted to finish in the top half of the table. More than mildly surprised if we get a play off place. Stunned if we get automatic promotion.
A get rich quick scheme? on 13:33 - Aug 21 with 1398 viewsPatfromPoole

A get rich quick scheme? on 10:05 - Aug 21 by saints__fan__73

A get rich quick scheme? Are you joking? I think you are giving Banana Republic far too much credit.

1. Buy 80% of a PL club, already substantially in debt and running at multi-million pound losses per year, who are in a league with revenues of £120m per year for £100m.

2. Have transfer net spend of £160m (more than all the cumulative yearly net spends in the club's near 150 history) to finish dead last and be relegated.

3. End up with a club in a league where yearly revenues are around £20m per year with a club now worth around the same amount (not that you could ever find a buyer).

4. Have to sell close to £200m of players just to keep the ship afloat/pay for last season's moronic spending.

The annual revenue is quite a lot more than £20 million in Years 1 and 2, factoring in the parachute payments, though.

You would be nearer the mark if you tripled that.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

A get rich quick scheme? on 22:23 - Aug 21 with 1305 viewsChesham_Saint

A get rich quick scheme? on 10:05 - Aug 21 by saints__fan__73

Are you seriously saying SFC is now only worth £20m or have I misread that?

A get rich quick scheme? on 09:52 - Aug 22 with 1209 viewssaints__fan__73

A get rich quick scheme? on 22:23 - Aug 21 by Chesham_Saint

Are you seriously saying SFC is now only worth £20m or have I misread that?

Well, tbf, like any Championship club it is effectively worthless as it's expenditure is more than it's revenue. No sane person will buy a business that is running at a loss.

You might have some interest now as it's a gamble to get back in the PL, where clubs are worth money, but as a Championship club running at a massive loss with debts currently around a quarter of a billion, if the club was put up for sale at £20m, I don't think we'd get a rush of people knocking down the door to buy us.

A get rich quick scheme? on 10:04 - Aug 22 with 1198 viewsChesham_Saint

A get rich quick scheme? on 09:52 - Aug 22 by saints__fan__73

Well, tbf, like any Championship club it is effectively worthless as it's expenditure is more than it's revenue. No sane person will buy a business that is running at a loss.

You might have some interest now as it's a gamble to get back in the PL, where clubs are worth money, but as a Championship club running at a massive loss with debts currently around a quarter of a billion, if the club was put up for sale at £20m, I don't think we'd get a rush of people knocking down the door to buy us.

You put no value on the infrastructure, platting staff, brand or location. I think yours is a massive undervaluation.

A get rich quick scheme? on 10:16 - Aug 22 with 1179 viewssaints__fan__73

A get rich quick scheme? on 10:04 - Aug 22 by Chesham_Saint

You put no value on the infrastructure, platting staff, brand or location. I think yours is a massive undervaluation.

What's the value of the infrastructure? You can't build flats on SMS or Staplewood. So it can only be used for football.

What's the brand worth? We don't sell many shirts worldwide...

Is there a lot of demand for platting staff? I don't even know what they are.

The club, inc infrastructure was sold for £13m last time we weren't in PL so guess it might have gone up with inflation but not much.

It's academic really as there is zero demand for people wanting to buy entire Championship clubs. If you're lucky you might get a American footballer wanting to buy 5% for a giggle I guess.

A get rich quick scheme? on 12:07 - Aug 22 with 1153 viewsBerber

I am no great fan of the owners, but if you look how much they paid for the club, and how much they have spent since then, given that the club has been losing money, it is clear you don’t know any of the facts. Until now, the only “big” name to leave was Ings, who we got little for because he was intent on running his contract down.

I have to think your post is a wind up, and in no way serious.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024