Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A Good Night's Sleep - tips 03:01 - Sep 27 with 6952 viewsPlanetHonneywood

It's very rare that I manage to sleep right through until morning. I don't wake at any particular time, and it's not the case that noise is the cause as opposed to simply just waking up.

Been like this for decades, but seems more pronounced with age. I try all sorts of tricks: pre-bed soak, chill the room, no TV/phones for an hour, going to bed early/late, nothing seems to work. When I do wake I've tried not to pick up the phone to picking up the phone (as now), reading, to getting up before returning or, staying put. Sleeping apps, meditation, exercise before bed, cocoa, a wee dram the lot.

Last year or so, I've taken to having a little 20-30 minute power nap in the afternoon, which gets me over the tiredness hump, but not ideal.

Kind of at the 'accept it' and just get on stage, but would obviously prefer the pattern enjoyed by Mrs PH beside me: head, pillow, gone, morning alarm ringing for sometime before I turn it off.

Any other insomniac/poor sleepRs out there and what do you/we do? Indeed, one of our brethren is called 'insomnia' what does s/he/they do?

I'm going nowhere for the next hour!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 12:41 - Sep 27 with 1683 viewsLoftgirl

A few drops of lavender essential oil on the pillow is good. 😴
A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 13:32 - Sep 27 with 1608 viewsdenhamhoop2

Do you ever have a truly good nights sleep would suggest you get up and write down what is on your mind making a tick list and see if you can work your way through this either in your head or physically. Then try going back to bed see if it makes any difference
A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 13:34 - Sep 27 with 1601 viewsSuperhoop83

I'm not sure that this will help anyone going by the posts so far, but alcohol is an absolute killer when it comes to sleep.

I'm not aware of it causing insomnia all night long, but the sleep you get for the first few hours after a decent drink isn't good quality sleep at all as you don't get any REM sleep. If you then wake up in middle of the night and can't go back to sleep, that is down to the sedating effects of the alcohol wearing off and being left with the hormones that make you feel anxious and alert, which were produced by the body to counteract the effects of the alcohol.

If alcohol isn't a factor my only tip is exercising as I normally sleep better after an evening trip to the gym.

Suffering since 1978.

A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 13:35 - Sep 27 with 1593 viewsDaBurgh

A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 12:27 - Sep 27 by robith

I've always had trouble sleeping but since I recently started doing weights I'm sleeping much better.

An eye mask helps too, stops stuff catching my eye.

I try to do deep breathes and empty my head, often by going "empty head, no thoughts" to myself over and over in my head.

The military has a technique they teach people that's all the rage of tiktok, could try looking that up. it's basically starting at your head and working your way down relaxing each part of you as you go

"The military has a technique they teach people that's all the rage of tiktok, could try looking that up. it's basically starting at your head and working your way down relaxing each part of you as you go"
To each there own but normally I try to get the Mrs. to do that.
A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 13:36 - Sep 27 with 1585 viewsconnell10

Have J Arthur

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 13:50 - Sep 27 with 1558 viewsR_from_afar

A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 12:27 - Sep 27 by robith

I've always had trouble sleeping but since I recently started doing weights I'm sleeping much better.

An eye mask helps too, stops stuff catching my eye.

I try to do deep breathes and empty my head, often by going "empty head, no thoughts" to myself over and over in my head.

The military has a technique they teach people that's all the rage of tiktok, could try looking that up. it's basically starting at your head and working your way down relaxing each part of you as you go

Great thread.

"I try to do deep breathes and empty my head, often by going "empty head, no thoughts" to myself over and over in my head".

Good idea, another approach is to write down the thoughts in your head when you are about to go to bed, to help you stop turning them over and over in your mind.

I have heard that if you can't sleep, it's best to do something else - reading works well for me - rather than trying in vain to drop off. In my experience, after 20-30 minutes of reading, I become drowsy anyway.

I think I have also heard that being really tired is important when you go to bed, if that doesn't sound blindingly obvious. That might make it more productive to actually go to bed later. It's worth experimenting. Also, bear in mind that beyond a certain point - from memory, nine hours - sleeping for longer just makes you more tired.

Good luck all you insomniacs. Remember that even if you can't sleep as you lie in bed, at least you are resting. Try not to get frustrated, that doesn't help.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 14:17 - Sep 27 with 1510 viewsCateLeBonR

A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 13:34 - Sep 27 by Superhoop83

I'm not sure that this will help anyone going by the posts so far, but alcohol is an absolute killer when it comes to sleep.

I'm not aware of it causing insomnia all night long, but the sleep you get for the first few hours after a decent drink isn't good quality sleep at all as you don't get any REM sleep. If you then wake up in middle of the night and can't go back to sleep, that is down to the sedating effects of the alcohol wearing off and being left with the hormones that make you feel anxious and alert, which were produced by the body to counteract the effects of the alcohol.

If alcohol isn't a factor my only tip is exercising as I normally sleep better after an evening trip to the gym.

My experience of sleep after alcohol is that I have no problem dropping off but soon wake up and then I’m in and out of light sleep for most of the night.

I also have a gradual system for waking up. 6.45 alarm, 7.10 Jazz FM comes on, 7.20 alarm, 7.30 alarm, snooze and up at 7.40. In case anyone was interested!
A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 14:23 - Sep 27 with 1484 viewsacricketer

This has worked for me:

4-7-8 Breathing

4-7-8 breathing, also known as relaxing breath, is a deep rhythmic breathing technique based on pranayama practices. This breathing exercise involves a characteristic pattern of inhaling, holding the breath, and exhaling to reduce anxiety and promote relaxed sleep. Try this breathing exercise using five steps:

Empty your lungs completely by letting your lips part and audibly exhaling through your mouth.
Keeping your mouth closed, inhale quietly through your nose while counting to 4.
Hold your breath for a count of 7.
Exhale slowly through your mouth for a count of 8.
Repeat this cycle around 6 times before returning to normal breathing.
Login to get fewer ads

A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 14:29 - Sep 27 with 1458 viewsWokingR

A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 13:36 - Sep 27 by connell10

Have J Arthur

Was wondering why nobody had suggested this yet.
Although if he thinks the light from his Kindle will wake his wife up, I'm not sure how he'll explain this away.
A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 14:43 - Sep 27 with 1434 viewsBoston

Never had a problem sleeping. Do go to bed early (unless I'm out),as I have little interest in tv. If, I wake, don't care, happy enough to just relax.
But, three helpful suggestions..

A/ Manuel labour
B/ Few pints
C/ Masturbation.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 15:14 - Sep 27 with 1395 viewsrobith

A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 13:50 - Sep 27 by R_from_afar

Great thread.

"I try to do deep breathes and empty my head, often by going "empty head, no thoughts" to myself over and over in my head".

Good idea, another approach is to write down the thoughts in your head when you are about to go to bed, to help you stop turning them over and over in your mind.

I have heard that if you can't sleep, it's best to do something else - reading works well for me - rather than trying in vain to drop off. In my experience, after 20-30 minutes of reading, I become drowsy anyway.

I think I have also heard that being really tired is important when you go to bed, if that doesn't sound blindingly obvious. That might make it more productive to actually go to bed later. It's worth experimenting. Also, bear in mind that beyond a certain point - from memory, nine hours - sleeping for longer just makes you more tired.

Good luck all you insomniacs. Remember that even if you can't sleep as you lie in bed, at least you are resting. Try not to get frustrated, that doesn't help.

That is something I got taught on CBT actually if you're struggling to sleep - is to keep your bed for sleep. If you're struggling, so and sit in the living room or something else. Try to condition your body to "bed=sleep" rather than getting into a frustration cycle
A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 15:22 - Sep 27 with 1376 viewsHAYESBOY

A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 13:36 - Sep 27 by connell10

Have J Arthur

That's what I end up doing when I wake up.

Smells like a trout farm in here

A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 15:45 - Sep 27 with 1345 viewskensalriser

Is there an assumption here that not sleeping all night is bad? There's plenty of research showing that sleeping all night is a relatively new phenomenon (post electricity, so more like a nanosecond in evolutionary terms).

Are you tired during the day? If not, what's the problem?

I wake up most nights. Often to take a slash but even if I don't feel like I really need to I go anyway, the action of getting up and going back to bed seems to effect a reset and I can go back to sleep.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 16:38 - Sep 27 with 1310 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 15:45 - Sep 27 by kensalriser

Is there an assumption here that not sleeping all night is bad? There's plenty of research showing that sleeping all night is a relatively new phenomenon (post electricity, so more like a nanosecond in evolutionary terms).

Are you tired during the day? If not, what's the problem?

I wake up most nights. Often to take a slash but even if I don't feel like I really need to I go anyway, the action of getting up and going back to bed seems to effect a reset and I can go back to sleep.

Medieval peasants famously worked less hours than us, and slept up to 16 hours a day especially i the winter.

Usually died in their 30s of the common cold and didn’t have Netflix so swings and roundabouts.
A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 17:45 - Sep 27 with 1244 viewsBoston

A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 16:38 - Sep 27 by BazzaInTheLoft

Medieval peasants famously worked less hours than us, and slept up to 16 hours a day especially i the winter.

Usually died in their 30s of the common cold and didn’t have Netflix so swings and roundabouts.

Let alone armed conflicts and plagues.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 19:38 - Sep 27 with 1190 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 17:45 - Sep 27 by Boston

Let alone armed conflicts and plagues.

This came into my mind, then I remembered the news for the last three years 🇺🇦 🦠
A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 20:38 - Sep 27 with 1137 viewsMatch82

My wife swears by a weighted blanket.
A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 21:02 - Sep 27 with 1110 viewsLogman

A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 08:57 - Sep 27 by BrianMcCarthy

Another one here.

I come from a family of insomniacs. Growing up in our house, you could get up at any time and someone would be in the living room taching telly or making a brew.

Up to a few years ago I'd successfully trained myself to get eight hours of sleep - no blue screens, just reading, go to bed at 10.30pm, read, sleep at 11pm, wake at 7am and get up immediately. It seemed perfect.

But I'm 53 now and the last few years have wrecked that. I wake up a lot now, every night. I've tried a lot of the remedies you've all listed and the only one that works for me is to put on an audiobook that I know inside out, put it on a timer for, say, fifteen minutes so it's not on all night, and I'm gone within a minute usually. Maybe try that?

I think it may just be that as we get older we need less sleep, so I'm thinking of going to bed later this autumn, see if that works.

Best of luck, John. Hope you find something, otherwise welcome to The Nightwalkers.

I'm awake in the middle of the night as a matter of course these days. Only exceptions are if I have had a non-stop 16 - 18 hour day ideally with plenty of time outdoors.

Listening to an audio-book is a very good suggestion. In my free time I try to maintain my Spanish. Listening to a reading in Spanish always sends me off and occasionally makes me frustrated that I didn't stay awake to the end.
A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 22:07 - Sep 27 with 1072 viewswombat

A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 16:38 - Sep 27 by BazzaInTheLoft

That sounds like a cunnin plan.
Been a sufferer for years espthe old Sunday night can’t sleep same as I had for school on a Monday, feel exhausted pretty much 24/7 wife gets up for work at 530am so even if I have managed to get some sleep that’s me done I’m wide awake . Would happily take a non prescription pill if I could find one that worked

Poll: which is your favouite foot

A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 22:39 - Sep 27 with 1046 viewsFredManRave

A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 20:38 - Sep 27 by Match82

My wife swears by a weighted blanket.

I'm sure if you asked her to stop, nicely, you'd get to sleep alot earlier.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2023 22:42]

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 22:50 - Sep 27 with 1015 viewsMatch82

A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 22:39 - Sep 27 by FredManRave

I'm sure if you asked her to stop, nicely, you'd get to sleep alot earlier.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2023 22:42]

Better than her swearing at me I guess!
A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 22:55 - Sep 29 with 770 viewscolinallcars

When you're lying awake
With a dismal headache
And repose is taboo'd by anxiety
I conceive you may use
Any language you choose
To indulge in without impropriety

(Gilbert & Sullivan)

Often mentioned here on new music threads.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2023 23:09]
A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 01:03 - Sep 30 with 723 viewsnumptydumpty

Counting Sheep apparently works, so I have been led to believe !!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 02:40 - Sep 30 with 709 viewsHAYESBOY

A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 01:03 - Sep 30 by numptydumpty

Counting Sheep apparently works, so I have been led to believe !!!

Can't seem to see any in Uxbridge.

Smells like a trout farm in here

A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 07:05 - Sep 30 with 649 viewsnumptydumpty

A Good Night's Sleep - tips on 02:40 - Sep 30 by HAYESBOY

Can't seem to see any in Uxbridge.

Perhaps move to Norwich or Wales then.

Heard people that living both of the above, are very partial to a bit of "loving of the sheep. "

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024