Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
France v South Africa 22:02 - Oct 15 with 1972 viewsgrumpy

What a game of rugby……
[Post edited 15 Oct 2023 22:02]
France v South Africa on 22:03 - Oct 15 with 1965 viewsSFC_Referee

Never usually watch rugby but even I’ve found many of these games quite interesting to watch

Poll: Who’ll win the playoffs

France v South Africa on 22:04 - Oct 15 with 1963 viewsgrumpy

France v South Africa on 22:03 - Oct 15 by SFC_Referee

Never usually watch rugby but even I’ve found many of these games quite interesting to watch

Interesting!!!
France v South Africa on 22:11 - Oct 15 with 1948 viewsSFC_Referee

France v South Africa on 22:04 - Oct 15 by grumpy

Interesting!!!

Yeah, just find it interesting as to how it all works and even having to just work out half the rules of the sport from watching it. As I knew the very basics but half the restarts and how it all works I haven’t the foggiest clue about

Poll: Who’ll win the playoffs

France v South Africa on 00:40 - Oct 16 with 1877 viewsericofarabia

France v South Africa on 22:11 - Oct 15 by SFC_Referee

Yeah, just find it interesting as to how it all works and even having to just work out half the rules of the sport from watching it. As I knew the very basics but half the restarts and how it all works I haven’t the foggiest clue about

I know zilch about the rules of either code of rugby, but being married to a northern lass who's dad played RL for Leigh in the 60s, I can't help but prefer Rugby League. It seems to be far more exciting and based on running with the stupid shaped ball than RU who are all about kicking it into touch.
But no matter how bad Sunday night tv is, I could never see myself watching a match of any sport between France and SA, or anybody else for that matter!
France v South Africa on 11:17 - Oct 16 with 1756 viewsGasGiant

France v South Africa on 00:40 - Oct 16 by ericofarabia

I know zilch about the rules of either code of rugby, but being married to a northern lass who's dad played RL for Leigh in the 60s, I can't help but prefer Rugby League. It seems to be far more exciting and based on running with the stupid shaped ball than RU who are all about kicking it into touch.
But no matter how bad Sunday night tv is, I could never see myself watching a match of any sport between France and SA, or anybody else for that matter!

Whereas Rugby Leagee consists of falling over 6 times then kicking the ball into touch and then just handing it to the opposition to do the same I suppose.
Well you started it!
France v South Africa on 12:35 - Oct 16 with 1710 viewsChesham_Saint

France v South Africa on 11:17 - Oct 16 by GasGiant

Whereas Rugby Leagee consists of falling over 6 times then kicking the ball into touch and then just handing it to the opposition to do the same I suppose.
Well you started it!

Haha - true! RU is a far superior watch.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

France v South Africa on 13:13 - Oct 16 with 1673 viewsGRIM

Despite being a lifelong football fan nowadays I far more enjoy watching a good Rugby Match ( either League or Union).
Football has gone soft, it lacks the power / passion & physical effort that Rugby players have.
Compare the England International football
Matches to the Rugby we've seen this weekend, there is no comparison.
I have seen professional footballers come of after 90 minutes with not a bead of sweat on them.
These Rugby players gave Blood + Sweat & Tears for their country.
I will always watch & support our football teams but just wish there was less Prima Donna's & more passion in the game.
Also I like the fact that in Rugby the coaches are not at pitch side shouting & screaming, they are up in the stands monitoring the game & making the tactical changes remotely & seamlessly .
The substitutions are done so quickly & do not affect the tempo of the game.
In football there is far to much attention & focus on the the Managers / Coaches & no-one really wants to see or hear them.
That's my Monday rant, I feel better now.
France v South Africa on 13:18 - Oct 16 with 1666 views1teeminants

I Didn’t see last night but saw the other quarter finals. Always enjoyed rugby Union not league and I enjoy the world cups be it Football, cricket or Rugby. I can’t see England going any further but many didn’t think they’d get out of their group.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Login to get fewer ads

France v South Africa on 14:46 - Oct 16 with 1624 viewsIfonly

A truly epic game. The thing that makes rugby (union) at the highest level better than football at the highest level, for the neutral spectator, is that great football teams can cancel each other out by being defensive. That ends up with major finals being 0-0 draws decided in an arbitrary way (penalties). In rugby, that can't happen. You can't just defend because you'll lose. The laws of the game give the advantage to the one doing the attacking.

To be a spectacle on the same level, football needs to learn from this and adapt the laws to give the advantage to the attacking team. There are many ways of doing that but I'm not holding my breath. The rugby authorities have continuously evolved the laws of the game and football has basically stood still. Most innovations in football, like VAR, have been so badly managed that they've taken the game backwards.
France v South Africa on 15:22 - Oct 16 with 1589 viewskingslandstand1

France v South Africa on 13:13 - Oct 16 by GRIM

Despite being a lifelong football fan nowadays I far more enjoy watching a good Rugby Match ( either League or Union).
Football has gone soft, it lacks the power / passion & physical effort that Rugby players have.
Compare the England International football
Matches to the Rugby we've seen this weekend, there is no comparison.
I have seen professional footballers come of after 90 minutes with not a bead of sweat on them.
These Rugby players gave Blood + Sweat & Tears for their country.
I will always watch & support our football teams but just wish there was less Prima Donna's & more passion in the game.
Also I like the fact that in Rugby the coaches are not at pitch side shouting & screaming, they are up in the stands monitoring the game & making the tactical changes remotely & seamlessly .
The substitutions are done so quickly & do not affect the tempo of the game.
In football there is far to much attention & focus on the the Managers / Coaches & no-one really wants to see or hear them.
That's my Monday rant, I feel better now.

That's not a rant, that's pure fact from watching both rugby games yesterday, albeit you can't really compare those 2 games to the England/Aus friendly bore (I gather - couldn't be arrissed to watch it)

But when you get that football map of Utopia which must be down the corridor from Rugby somewhere, can you please let us all try and find it. Somehow we won't ever get it

But I'm afraid Saints is in the blood so don't think I'll ever swap games (def not League, now that does seem to be just stop/start/stop/start)
France v South Africa on 23:30 - Oct 16 with 1452 viewshedgeend61

France v South Africa on 22:11 - Oct 15 by SFC_Referee

You're not alone, wouldn't think many would know the rules.

Think it was the Welsh game, some Argie comes in with a 50mph forearm smash which nearly decapitates the Taff, and even after the upstairs review it was classed as head to arm, play on boys. Anyone doing that in the street would be looking a 9 months stir. Crazy.

Can someone please explain the scrum? 2 wasted minutes grapple and the team that puts the ball in 101% always just goes to their team as they roll it straight to them. What's the point?
Only thing guaranteed from it is loads of players will go through the rest of their life with deformed cauliflower ears.
France v South Africa on 13:18 - Oct 17 with 1333 viewsGRIM

France v South Africa on 23:30 - Oct 16 by hedgeend61

Think it was the Welsh game, some Argie comes in with a 50mph forearm smash which nearly decapitates the Taff, and even after the upstairs review it was classed as head to arm, play on boys. Anyone doing that in the street would be looking a 9 months stir. Crazy.

Can someone please explain the scrum? 2 wasted minutes grapple and the team that puts the ball in 101% always just goes to their team as they roll it straight to them. What's the point?
Only thing guaranteed from it is loads of players will go through the rest of their life with deformed cauliflower ears.

Agree completely about the scrums.
The scrums just slow the game down (but it does give the players a chance to get their breath back).
I understand most of the rules of Rugby, which is difficult because they seem to change every year, I might be wrong on this but historically the ball had to be fed into the scrum straight with no advantage to either team but now it's always fed into their own pack which is definitely a big advantage.
But I just love the blood & thunder of a good Rugby Match, just wish football could be as entertaining.
The reason I keep watching football is the expectation, I always expect the next game to be better than the last & particularly in Saints case it very rarely is.
France v South Africa on 18:24 - Oct 17 with 1273 viewsgrumpy

When a scrum is awarded its usually for a forward pass or a knock on.
The team that is awarded the 'put in' have the advantage as they feed their forwards the ball.most of the time they come away with the ball but can lose it if the opposing pack push them backwards.
A scrum can be used to gain territory if the team with the ball choose to carry going forward,this is often done when near the opponents try line to carry the ball over the line and score.
Sometimes a team awarded a foul will choose a scrum rather than a kick to keep possession,South Africa did this the good affect the other night.
Deformed Cauliflower Ears are usually suffered by players in the pack, thats why you see headwear worn by some.

Football can be just as entertaining as Rugby just depends on how its played.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2023 18:36]
France v South Africa on 09:44 - Oct 18 with 1178 viewsIfonly

It's not true that the team with the put-in always gets the ball in RU. Mostly yes, but a dominant scrum will win the ball by forcing the other side to collapse and give away a penalty. I expect SA to do that to England on Saturday unfortunately. That's what they did in the last RWC final.

The scrum is vital to the outcome of most games. Even if you don't come away with the ball if you force the opposition backwards or disrupt their control of the ball, it makes that split second difference between having a great attacking platform and mopping up a mess. It's not the best part of the game for neutrals to watch but it's very important to the outcome.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024