Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
School 22:13 - Nov 27 with 4380 viewsSaintNick

What schools did everyone go to ? I went to Redbridge a public school on the edge of Southampton, many of the alumni went on to have top jobs in Government Institutions such as Albany, Broadmarsh and Parkhurst

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

School on 06:12 - Nov 28 with 3438 viewsPatfromPoole

Aren’t public schools the preserve of the very wealthy, the likes of Jacob Rees-Mogg etc??

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

School on 07:17 - Nov 28 with 3406 viewsSalisburySaint

School on 06:12 - Nov 28 by PatfromPoole

Aren’t public schools the preserve of the very wealthy, the likes of Jacob Rees-Mogg etc??

I went to Amesbury Secondary Modern, which changed to Stonehenge school whilst I was there, the same school that Mike Channon attended.

Celebrating scoring goals with windmills was compulsory
School on 08:09 - Nov 28 with 3381 viewsRon11

School on 07:17 - Nov 28 by SalisburySaint

I went to Amesbury Secondary Modern, which changed to Stonehenge school whilst I was there, the same school that Mike Channon attended.

Celebrating scoring goals with windmills was compulsory

I lived on Countess Road, Amesbury for ten years, but I went to Gillingham (Kent) Technical School.
It's a long story...
School on 08:50 - Nov 28 with 3359 viewsButty101

School on 08:09 - Nov 28 by Ron11

I lived on Countess Road, Amesbury for ten years, but I went to Gillingham (Kent) Technical School.
It's a long story...

I went to Cowes High School on the IOW. It produced prodigious talent like Gary Rowett and pop sensation Mark King

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

School on 09:07 - Nov 28 with 3353 viewsfranniesTache

Cantell (formerly Basset Green) on the flower estates for me, was the school that people who'd been expelled from other schools went to when i was there and was known locally as "carn't spell".

Bloody loved it though, if you put aside the small riots, headmaster being threatened with a shotgun by a parent, kid getting shot in the foot for asking if a gun was real and the ice cream van that sold pills.

Not sure we had any famous people go there, was mostly little scortes during my time.
School on 09:21 - Nov 28 with 3344 viewsfelly1

School on 09:07 - Nov 28 by franniesTache

Cantell (formerly Basset Green) on the flower estates for me, was the school that people who'd been expelled from other schools went to when i was there and was known locally as "carn't spell".

Bloody loved it though, if you put aside the small riots, headmaster being threatened with a shotgun by a parent, kid getting shot in the foot for asking if a gun was real and the ice cream van that sold pills.

Not sure we had any famous people go there, was mostly little scortes during my time.

Glen Eyre... Then it went all soft and changed it's name to Cantell in my last year.😉
My youngest son won't believe me when I said in Bassett Junior School in the early 80s, if two boys got into a fight in the playground our headmaster would let them fight it out with him acting as the ref and all the other kids would form a ring around them.
School on 09:22 - Nov 28 with 3342 viewsSaintNick

School on 09:07 - Nov 28 by franniesTache

I love the little "Scortes" comment, I take it you were being irnoic

School on 09:40 - Nov 28 with 3325 viewsfranniesTache

School on 09:22 - Nov 28 by SaintNick

I love the little "Scortes" comment, I take it you were being irnoic

nah i'm just dyslexic and can't spell scrote
Login to get fewer ads

School on 09:44 - Nov 28 with 3323 viewsfranniesTache

School on 09:21 - Nov 28 by felly1

Glen Eyre... Then it went all soft and changed it's name to Cantell in my last year.😉
My youngest son won't believe me when I said in Bassett Junior School in the early 80s, if two boys got into a fight in the playground our headmaster would let them fight it out with him acting as the ref and all the other kids would form a ring around them.

Glenn Eyre! You're right, turns out my memory is going to sh*t in my old age
School on 09:51 - Nov 28 with 3313 viewsSaintNick

School on 09:21 - Nov 28 by felly1

That is a bit soft, duelling with either swords or pistols was the Redbridge Way, the Headmaster and his deputies would act as seconds and the loser would be buried in the dead of night in the corner of the school playing fields, this was only abolished at the start of Covid

School on 09:54 - Nov 28 with 3312 viewsSpringhill_old_boy

Being a son of a Belfast family forced to flee in the 70´s as my family couldn´t hack the anti catholic hate at the time, and as one of my uncles (dock worker) moved over to the bright and vibrant Southampton we all moved over, the catholic faith obviously affected the schooling choices of the family. Hence the first which will come as no surprise was Springhill opposite the Dell, hence why I am on this site. Afterwards moved to Glen Eyre/Cantell´s rival St George - which at the time was just male although I believe now its mixed ... just my luck
School on 10:06 - Nov 28 with 3304 viewsfranniesTache

School on 09:54 - Nov 28 by Springhill_old_boy

Being a son of a Belfast family forced to flee in the 70´s as my family couldn´t hack the anti catholic hate at the time, and as one of my uncles (dock worker) moved over to the bright and vibrant Southampton we all moved over, the catholic faith obviously affected the schooling choices of the family. Hence the first which will come as no surprise was Springhill opposite the Dell, hence why I am on this site. Afterwards moved to Glen Eyre/Cantell´s rival St George - which at the time was just male although I believe now its mixed ... just my luck

George's thought they were our rival as did Bitterne Park, truth was we were just roundly hated by most schools in the city at the time
School on 10:12 - Nov 28 with 3299 viewsSaintNick

School on 10:06 - Nov 28 by franniesTache

George's thought they were our rival as did Bitterne Park, truth was we were just roundly hated by most schools in the city at the time

There was also a school called Hampton Park very near to Glenn Eyre, I think both were amalgamed as Cantell.

I believe this was UK Government initiative so that they could deploy the troops needed to keep the peace between the two schools at lesser conflicts such as Belfast, Berlin and Afghanistan

School on 10:17 - Nov 28 with 3295 viewsfelly1

School on 09:51 - Nov 28 by SaintNick

That is a bit soft, duelling with either swords or pistols was the Redbridge Way, the Headmaster and his deputies would act as seconds and the loser would be buried in the dead of night in the corner of the school playing fields, this was only abolished at the start of Covid

You can't fool me Nick.
Everyone knows the Millbrook and Redbridge lads were crybabies who ran to their safe spaces at the first sign of a confrontation....particularly if a Bassset Boot Boy or a member of the elite Swaythling Army happened to be on your Manor. 😅
School on 10:19 - Nov 28 with 3292 viewsIanSouthstander

All Saints primary and then Romsey road/Montgomery of Alamein secondary. Winchester.

As did Terence Lionel Paine MBE.
School on 10:47 - Nov 28 with 3263 viewsSaintNick

School on 10:17 - Nov 28 by felly1

You can't fool me Nick.
Everyone knows the Millbrook and Redbridge lads were crybabies who ran to their safe spaces at the first sign of a confrontation....particularly if a Bassset Boot Boy or a member of the elite Swaythling Army happened to be on your Manor. 😅

When I went to school in the 70's the phrase Safe Spaces didn't exist so we had nowhere to run and nowhere to hide lol

School on 11:03 - Nov 28 with 3251 viewskingolaf

Went to Woolston.

We routinely used to scrap Merry Oak and Weston Park Boys.

Used to feel sorry for the Merry Oakers. All really poor and didn’t wash their clothes.

Weston was and is still stuck in the dark ages. When the casuals took off on the 80s they were still wearing white socks and loafers. Used to get off with each other at their school discos as well.
School on 11:23 - Nov 28 with 3235 viewsericofarabia

School on 10:47 - Nov 28 by SaintNick

When I went to school in the 70's the phrase Safe Spaces didn't exist so we had nowhere to run and nowhere to hide lol

With apologies to Martha Reeves and The Vandellas, and the great Cult Film The Warriors .......

Clink clink clink ..... Redbridge and Millbrook ...... come out to playay, come out to playayyyyyy 😂
School on 11:36 - Nov 28 with 3226 viewsericofarabia

I used to go to St Anns in town ..... not for education just to perv ..... anyway less of what I got up to in my 40's ...... I attended Alderman Quilley Secondary Modern in Eastleigh. An absolute dump that boasted the highest amount of CSE passes in Eastleigh ..... mainly because barely anybody ws offered GCE courses 🙄
We were used as guinea pigs for Integrated Studies which was a combination of Geog, History and RE and was an absolute waste of space, and didn't prepare even for CSE standard when you reverted to normal lessons in year 4, and they didn't do grading of ability in Maths till year 4, so as not to make the less able at the subject feel like thickies by being in Class 4, so you had people with no interest in learning with people who genuinely wanted to do well, so it got dumbed down to cater for all. 🤬
School on 12:44 - Nov 28 with 3169 viewsChesham_Saint

Me?

Er, The Portsmouth Grammar School

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

School on 12:51 - Nov 28 with 3162 viewssaint901

Downton Secondary Modern.

Now called the Trafalgar School. (A grateful nation gave Nelson a house nearby).

Re above, Amesbury were one of two schools we played in our football league which would regularly turn into battles. The other was Highbury Avenue.

In my year a certain Mark Nightingale from Amesbury went on to play for Bournemouth and Norwich. They also had a couple of players who played for Salisbury.

Not sure anybody famous came from that school?
School on 12:54 - Nov 28 with 3157 viewsA1079

The Vyne in Basingstoke - god awful school where virtual anarchy prevailed and was in the news alot - for all the wrong reasons. It made me the man I am today..........................errrrrrrrr........says it all really.
School on 12:57 - Nov 28 with 3146 viewsChesham_Saint

School on 12:51 - Nov 28 by saint901

Downton Secondary Modern.

Now called the Trafalgar School. (A grateful nation gave Nelson a house nearby).

Re above, Amesbury were one of two schools we played in our football league which would regularly turn into battles. The other was Highbury Avenue.

In my year a certain Mark Nightingale from Amesbury went on to play for Bournemouth and Norwich. They also had a couple of players who played for Salisbury.

Not sure anybody famous came from that school?

We had Roger Black (the runner). Could so easily have been a Skate, but like me, saw the light..!

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

School on 13:02 - Nov 28 with 3135 viewsSaintNick

School on 12:44 - Nov 28 by Chesham_Saint

Me?

Er, The Portsmouth Grammar School

An Old Portmuthian then

School on 13:09 - Nov 28 with 3127 viewsBazza

Ludlow Road Junior, 43 boys in the top class, 24 passed to go to grammar school. Pretty working class but we really had some proper teaching (and no teaching assistants).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024