Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saints Announce Link Up With Saudi Arabian Accademy 14:36 - Jan 10 with 2309 viewsSaintNick

Just announced by the Echo, I am not sure im comfortable with this.

The Saudi's have said this:

"We look forward to learning from them and creating a connection for our players and coaches. Their academy is famous for developing players, and we can’t wait to bring that expertise here. We’re really excited for the years ahead working with Saints and their colleagues.”

I suspect that we won't be sending any of our women's teams to play there.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Saints Announce Link Up With Saudi Arabian Accademy on 15:25 - Jan 10 with 2227 viewsyateleysaint

“You’re going home dismembered in a suitcase…”

You cannot reason a person out of something they were not reasoned into.

Saints Announce Link Up With Saudi Arabian Accademy on 15:38 - Jan 10 with 2210 viewsFlamingbankers

Disappointing and terrible move by Saints owners. We should have nothing to do at all with that regime. Their limitless money alone brings a tolling bell to football let alone British football. Time for all good people to start backing local clubs and communities that having nothing to do with over-monied, murderous or fascist regimes. Football will survive the interference by these merchants of torture, exploitation, abuse and death.
Saints Announce Link Up With Saudi Arabian Academy on 16:07 - Jan 10 with 2177 viewsdirk_doone

Saints Announce Link Up With Saudi Arabian Accademy on 15:38 - Jan 10 by Flamingbankers

Disappointing and terrible move by Saints owners. We should have nothing to do at all with that regime. Their limitless money alone brings a tolling bell to football let alone British football. Time for all good people to start backing local clubs and communities that having nothing to do with over-monied, murderous or fascist regimes. Football will survive the interference by these merchants of torture, exploitation, abuse and death.

Similar things have been said about the Germans, the Americans, the Spanish, the English and most other powerful nations.

https://www.humanosphere.org/basics/2013/08/map-of-the-day-where-the-brits-never

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Saints Announce Link Up With Saudi Arabian Accademy on 17:07 - Jan 10 with 2100 viewsRon11

Putin started a devastating war by claiming that Ukraine is a 'fascist' country.
Saints Announce Link Up With Saudi Arabian Accademy on 08:37 - Jan 11 with 1894 viewsCity_boy

Why did Saints feel the need to deal with a county that has such an appalling human rights record with torture (even murder for political dissenters)

It has little respect for women and freedom of speech. Women are still subject to legal and social discrimination, although there have been some minor changes recently, it is not enough.

It will be interesting how they manage any Saints staff that work in Saudi, as Foreigners have very few rights there.

I am guessing We will not be setting up a Saudi “The Ugly Inside’ or applying for a Saudi Ministry Licence to publish there ?

This is wrong at every level and I am saddened we felt the need to get involved.
Saints Announce Link Up With Saudi Arabian Accademy on 09:45 - Jan 11 with 1826 viewsChesham_Saint

This is at best, bad optics. I'm not a fan of the women's team, but what message does this send to them? Crass.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Saints Announce Link Up With Saudi Arabian Accademy on 10:36 - Jan 11 with 1796 viewsPatfromPoole

I think I'm right in saying that since the club went into administration in 2009, it hasn't been owned by people who originate from this country.

Without wishing to sound like a GB News fanatic, I guess that people from different countries may have their own moral compass, and it may not be that aligned with ours.

Ultimately this surely couldn't have been allowed to happen without Solak's approval.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Saints Announce Link Up With Saudi Arabian Accademy on 14:14 - Jan 11 with 1664 viewskingolaf

This is a disgrace. I wouldn’t have anything to do with the murderous regime.

Still backing the Syrians as well.
Login to get fewer ads

Saints Announce Link Up With Saudi Arabian Accademy on 14:19 - Jan 11 with 1658 viewsCity_boy

How long before they start poaching staff from our academy ?

Can't help thinking this is all part of Saudi plan to get World Cup by integrating as much as they can.

As for Tom Grevatt, Saints, head of Football Programmes, statement that Saints hope to learn from them as well ? Can't wait to see what they can offer Saints about developing academy players.
Saints Announce Link Up With Saudi Arabian Accademy on 16:45 - Jan 11 with 1627 viewsSaintNick

Saints Announce Link Up With Saudi Arabian Accademy on 14:19 - Jan 11 by City_boy

How long before they start poaching staff from our academy ?

Can't help thinking this is all part of Saudi plan to get World Cup by integrating as much as they can.

As for Tom Grevatt, Saints, head of Football Programmes, statement that Saints hope to learn from them as well ? Can't wait to see what they can offer Saints about developing academy players.

The development will be in the form of motivational advice, stop playing like a headless chicken unless you really want to end up like one being one of their top incentives for their squads

Saints Announce Link Up With Saudi Arabian Accademy on 18:14 - Jan 11 with 1592 viewsCity_boy

Saints Announce Link Up With Saudi Arabian Accademy on 16:45 - Jan 11 by SaintNick

The development will be in the form of motivational advice, stop playing like a headless chicken unless you really want to end up like one being one of their top incentives for their squads

Nick, If you want to support links with Saudi, that's your choice.

Regardless of whether it is advice, academy help or anything else that supports them is wrong.
We should have nothing to do with them. Of all the developing football nations that would welcome our help, we choose Saudi Arabia ??
Saints Announce Link Up With Saudi Arabian Accademy on 23:59 - Jan 11 with 1517 viewsInTimeAddedOn

Saints Announce Link Up With Saudi Arabian Accademy on 16:45 - Jan 11 by SaintNick

To that end, it could put a whole new slant on shooting practise!
Saints Announce Link Up With Saudi Arabian Accademy on 10:29 - Jan 12 with 1435 viewsSaintNick

Saints Announce Link Up With Saudi Arabian Accademy on 18:14 - Jan 11 by City_boy

Nick, If you want to support links with Saudi, that's your choice.

Regardless of whether it is advice, academy help or anything else that supports them is wrong.
We should have nothing to do with them. Of all the developing football nations that would welcome our help, we choose Saudi Arabia ??

Where did I say I supported links with Saudi Arabia

Saints Announce Link Up With Saudi Arabian Accademy on 15:18 - Jan 12 with 1362 viewssaint901

This brings up the very difficult question of whether those who made the connection with the Saudi organisation, did so with a view to selling their ethics to the highest bidder.

It should be the case that one's moral code is not for sale and if you encounter an issue or situation that does not fit that code, you have the right to take whatever action you think appropriate. In this situation that might be refusing to go to games, buy merch etc or if you feel sufficiently violated, forming some sort of protest.

Sadly in the real world, life is seldom that clear cut.

We all compromise our own moral code every day and make a variety of excuses as to why. "Nobody would listen to me anyway". "He's a big chap and if I tell him to stop making racist/sexist/homophobic comments I might get punched". "Saying something anonymous on the internet is just as good as standing up to him/her/them".

We also suffer from comparison blindness. Yes the Saudi's have some unpleasant aspects in their psyche and and culture. So do Pakistan and China but does that stop us buying goods made there? If we select one "bad" regime over another - who appointed us a the nation's moral policeman?

It is unfortunate that the club has chosen to go this route and I wish that they had not. However until we see what it actually means I'll still be there on Saturday.
Saints Announce Link Up With Saudi Arabian Academy on 11:52 - Jan 13 with 1253 viewsJellybaby

Saints Announce Link Up With Saudi Arabian Academy on 16:07 - Jan 10 by dirk_doone

Similar things have been said about the Germans, the Americans, the Spanish, the English and most other powerful nations.

https://www.humanosphere.org/basics/2013/08/map-of-the-day-where-the-brits-never

Agreed Dirk, reminds me of that bible verse about pointing out the speck in your brother's eye whilst there is a beam in your own. Not defending Saudi government in any way, but is the West really in a position to moralise?

As others have said the only way out of the current malaise for football is a return to localism and to turn our backs on the global money, where ever it comes from, that threatens to destroy our great game and capture our clubs.

I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024