Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Northam Home Fans Only 14:10 - Jan 16 with 13389 viewsdirk_doone

+ Safe standing. Very good news. Surely, no one can object to this.

https://www.southamptonfc.com/en/news/article/stadium-developments-upgrading-mat

I've just seen the other threads about this but it's such good news, it deserves a few.
[Post edited 16 Jan 14:16]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Northam Home Fans Only on 12:41 - Jan 18 with 1317 viewsUTS1885

Northam Home Fans Only on 10:05 - Jan 18 by grumpy

'I'm going to highlight and those present will agree that even when 5000 away fans have been in the Northam the atmosphere has been buzzing. Remember those games against Pompey, the fa cup games in 02/03'

Games against Pompey will always be buzzing.

Imagine what it would have been like with the whole Northam End full of Saints Fans.

Atmosphere builds from when fans arrive.

Northam is our Home End,make it happen.

And the cup and many games when 3000 away fans have been present.

The atmosphere doesnt come from just one side of the ground and the whole thing depends on whats happening on the pitch anyway.

I dont think a whole northam end will be any different to what its now.
Northam Home Fans Only on 13:51 - Jan 18 with 1259 viewsgrumpy

Northam Home Fans Only on 12:41 - Jan 18 by UTS1885

The atmosphere doesnt come from just one side of the ground and the whole thing depends on whats happening on the pitch anyway.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on that. Atmosphere shouldn’t be decided on what’s going on the pitch,you can have an impact off it.
[Post edited 18 Jan 13:55]
Northam Home Fans Only on 14:01 - Jan 18 with 1246 viewsfranniesTache

Northam Home Fans Only on 13:51 - Jan 18 by grumpy

I think we will have to agree to disagree on that. Atmosphere shouldn’t be decided on what’s going on the pitch,you can have an impact off it.
[Post edited 18 Jan 13:55]

Funnily enough one of the big factors involved in what's going on on the pitch not being the only impact in atmosphere is what the away fans are up to triggering it instead.

Which will now no longer happen
Northam Home Fans Only on 14:03 - Jan 18 with 1242 viewsfranniesTache

Northam Home Fans Only on 12:41 - Jan 18 by UTS1885

I'm off the opinion it'll make little to no difference to the atmosphere, in fact it might even potentially make it worse.

I don't for one minute believe we have 3k fans just itching to make a noise but can't because the Northam isn't a home end.

Hell large chunks of the northam themselves don't make noise.

The reality is we probably have a max of 2-3k of fans who are actively creating the atmosphere at home games, then others who join in.

Which is by and large the same as every other club in the country, and the reason why at almost every ground in the country the away support is louder than the home.
Northam Home Fans Only on 14:27 - Jan 18 with 1207 viewsgrumpy

Northam Home Fans Only on 14:03 - Jan 18 by franniesTache

I'm off the opinion it'll make little to no difference to the atmosphere, in fact it might even potentially make it worse.

I don't for one minute believe we have 3k fans just itching to make a noise but can't because the Northam isn't a home end.

Hell large chunks of the northam themselves don't make noise.

The reality is we probably have a max of 2-3k of fans who are actively creating the atmosphere at home games, then others who join in.

Which is by and large the same as every other club in the country, and the reason why at almost every ground in the country the away support is louder than the home.

Singing I corners doesn’t do it for me. Put the away fans in corner.Stop moving our fans about when there is a big away following.
Northam Home Fans Only on 14:30 - Jan 18 with 1200 viewsarfurdent

this is a General Election year so contentious decisions like a licence for legal standing will become a local political hot potato.

What has changed the police viewpoint that the Northam is where they want the away fans penned.

Got a feeling this is 80% Saints floating the idea for PR

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

Northam Home Fans Only on 15:23 - Jan 18 with 1175 viewssaints__fan__73

Surely this is two distinctly different things?

1. Putting in safe standing areas which is what the club are referring to when they say work will commence in the Summer.

2. Moving away fans. In the clubs own words they are 'considering' doing this. Which would mean it is miles away from Police/Council approval.

Why are some fans convinced that 2 is approved already?

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Northam Home Fans Only on 15:25 - Jan 18 with 1175 viewsBLEEDRED

Northam Home Fans Only on 14:30 - Jan 18 by arfurdent

this is a General Election year so contentious decisions like a licence for legal standing will become a local political hot potato.

What has changed the police viewpoint that the Northam is where they want the away fans penned.

Got a feeling this is 80% Saints floating the idea for PR

You could be right, the stadium has functioned reasonably well for over 20 years, Just think if the away fans move to the Family Stand all those have to move to another area possibly the Itchen South, then those there who have access to cheaper seats will have to move maybe to the Itchen North (unless they do away the cheaper section and just say hard luck find your own seat) The Itchen North will move into the Northam. Not forgetting, the Kingsland Outer will not want to be close to the away fans, so where will they go? (Maybe give up). The only ones not affected will be the Kingsland/Itchen Premium seats who could not careless where anyone else sits!!!!!
Login to get fewer ads

Northam Home Fans Only on 15:45 - Jan 18 with 1149 viewsfranniesTache

Northam Home Fans Only on 15:23 - Jan 18 by saints__fan__73

Surely this is two distinctly different things?

1. Putting in safe standing areas which is what the club are referring to when they say work will commence in the Summer.

2. Moving away fans. In the clubs own words they are 'considering' doing this. Which would mean it is miles away from Police/Council approval.

Why are some fans convinced that 2 is approved already?

Because i know it has been
Northam Home Fans Only on 15:46 - Jan 18 with 1146 viewssaints__fan__73

Northam Home Fans Only on 15:45 - Jan 18 by franniesTache

Because i know it has been

Why is the club just saying considering then? Surely if it's been approved they would say so? Makes no sense not to.

Northam Home Fans Only on 16:48 - Jan 18 with 1113 viewsfranniesTache

Northam Home Fans Only on 15:46 - Jan 18 by saints__fan__73

Why is the club just saying considering then? Surely if it's been approved they would say so? Makes no sense not to.

ah i misread apologies,

In terms of the club's decision, it's been done, the consultation is bollocks and it will happen no matter what the fans think.

In terms of the council/police the club are assuming it will get through is the answer, and acting like it is.
[Post edited 18 Jan 16:49]
Northam Home Fans Only on 16:52 - Jan 18 with 1109 viewssaints__fan__73

Northam Home Fans Only on 16:48 - Jan 18 by franniesTache

ah i misread apologies,

In terms of the club's decision, it's been done, the consultation is bollocks and it will happen no matter what the fans think.

In terms of the council/police the club are assuming it will get through is the answer, and acting like it is.
[Post edited 18 Jan 16:49]

Why would they assume the Police have suddenly changed their stance after more than 20 years?
[Post edited 18 Jan 16:52]

Northam Home Fans Only on 17:24 - Jan 18 with 1088 viewsfranniesTache

Northam Home Fans Only on 16:52 - Jan 18 by saints__fan__73

Why would they assume the Police have suddenly changed their stance after more than 20 years?
[Post edited 18 Jan 16:52]

I’d imagine because the new police liaison/safety person at the club is ex Hampshire police
Northam Home Fans Only on 18:32 - Jan 18 with 1049 viewsUTS1885

The hoover salesman let the cat of the bag by referencing 'parts being ordered'... whoops what about the fan consultation Phil ?
Northam Home Fans Only on 19:56 - Jan 18 with 996 viewsSouthamptonfan

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0h5p58b

Phil Parsons explains. The point of this is to move the away fans to a less influential place in the stadium. They will be in the corner and "out of the way". We will have a whole end of singers in the standing stand. It may or may not work, but worth a go, I support it. At Leicester, there is a great atmosphere and they put the away fans in the corner. The only thing I question is whether the safe standing should be in the Chapel next to the away fans in the corner. We would still practically have a whole end of home support.
[Post edited 18 Jan 21:19]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Northam Home Fans Only on 20:58 - Jan 18 with 950 viewsSaintNick

Northam Home Fans Only on 19:56 - Jan 18 by Southamptonfan

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0h5p58b

Phil Parsons explains. The point of this is to move the away fans to a less influential place in the stadium. They will be in the corner and "out of the way". We will have a whole end of singers in the standing stand. It may or may not work, but worth a go, I support it. At Leicester, there is a great atmosphere and they put the away fans in the corner. The only thing I question is whether the safe standing should be in the Chapel next to the away fans in the corner. We would still practically have a whole end of home support.
[Post edited 18 Jan 21:19]

As someone pointed out Leicester dont have a home end, just a block or two on the side to the left of the away fans.

It is not about where fans are in the ground its what noise they make

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Northam Home Fans Only on 21:16 - Jan 18 with 927 viewsSouthamptonfan

Northam Home Fans Only on 20:58 - Jan 18 by SaintNick

As someone pointed out Leicester dont have a home end, just a block or two on the side to the left of the away fans.

But the noise spreads around the ground at Leicester. A big bulk of away fans behind the goal does seem to break it up.

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Northam Home Fans Only on 21:21 - Jan 18 with 905 viewsgrumpy

The club is trying to improve the game experience,support them,stop picking holes in it.
Northam Home Fans Only on 21:57 - Jan 18 with 867 viewshedgeend61

Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool Chelsea Spurs have away fans behind the goal, if their teams quality and winning it makes no difference to the atmosphere where the away fans are. When you're dog, keep losing and have a poor squad like us last season, the crowd will be quiet.
Man City could fill their ground with 50000 away fans, it wouldn't make a jot of difference to the result, they're owned by a country, they do what they want, though it may end in tears.
Most PL grounds are like morgues tbh, Notts Forest had the best atmosphere in the PL last season by a country mile, have a guess where they put the away fans?
Spot on, behind the goal.
Northam Home Fans Only on 22:22 - Jan 18 with 828 viewsUTS1885

Northam Home Fans Only on 21:21 - Jan 18 by grumpy

The club is trying to improve the game experience,support them,stop picking holes in it.

Im all for doing that, but i dont believe what theyre doing will work week in week out.

Reducing safety and getting thousands of fans to move out of their seats just isnt right.
Northam Home Fans Only on 22:54 - Jan 18 with 807 viewsfranniesTache

Northam Home Fans Only on 22:22 - Jan 18 by UTS1885

Im all for doing that, but i dont believe what theyre doing will work week in week out.

Reducing safety and getting thousands of fans to move out of their seats just isnt right.

Funny thing is the original - pre parsons - plan was to have safe standing in blocks 1/2, plus the northam including away fans and a small section in the chapel.

That would’ve made a much bigger improvement to the atmosphere than this, which seems to just be one man’s ego project
Northam Home Fans Only on 23:15 - Jan 18 with 781 viewsAnonSaint1

Northam Home Fans Only on 22:54 - Jan 18 by franniesTache

Funny thing is the original - pre parsons - plan was to have safe standing in blocks 1/2, plus the northam including away fans and a small section in the chapel.

That would’ve made a much bigger improvement to the atmosphere than this, which seems to just be one man’s ego project

That would have been perfect. And it would have actually improved the atmosphere without moving many ST holders around. If enough people voice their concern with the current proposition, maybe they’ll reconsider. Don’t get me wrong, it’s great that they want to improve things, just in my opinion they’ve got it wrong. They should have surveyed fans in the first place before announcing anything.
Northam Home Fans Only on 11:22 - Jan 19 with 707 viewsarfurdent

customer consultations are mostly a PR exercise to tick boxes or to gather contact information to feed the commercial machine

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

Northam Home Fans Only on 12:56 - Jan 19 with 657 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

It feels like they only need to move two blocks of away fans over (44 and 45) into 1, 2, 3 and 4 (so the away fans don't lose a disabled platform. That's it. A bit of netting between the lesser used boxes at that end, job done. Doesn't really need to be a huge thing, just shifting a block is enough in my view. Then bung in the safe standing in 42, 43, 44. Bosh.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Northam Home Fans Only on 13:15 - Jan 19 with 645 viewsdarthvader

Northam Home Fans Only on 11:22 - Jan 19 by arfurdent

customer consultations are mostly a PR exercise to tick boxes or to gather contact information to feed the commercial machine

I agree with moving away fans to the corner .. i think a few hundred will follow them from where i stand in itchen north as alot just stare at them and wave all game anyway.

But ill transfer to the northam behind the goal and sing and shout for the team . Hopefully we can fill that end and make noise .. the quickfire banter will be lost though.

Im up for the change , i started out in the northam then graduated to the itchen north mainly... apart from free tickets here and there around the stadium from time to time ... But i hated it because i couldn't stand up (in these other areas ). So im up for safe standing in the northam . I back the move of the away fans also , its sickening over the years when oppo scores that end its almost as if their fans sucked the ball in the net ... We need a change especially if we do go up next season
[Post edited 19 Jan 13:37]

keep the faith coyr

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024