Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs 21:33 - Apr 1 with 2798 viewsSFC_Referee

Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Poll: Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs

Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 22:01 - Apr 1 with 2510 viewssaintwizzler

We won’t be able to afford to sack him!

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 23:50 - Apr 1 with 2383 viewsIfonly

In case you need reminding, this is the last time you put up a poll on RM:

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/forum/306169/times-have-certa

When I said that I didn't think RM was the right man for Saints, you said:

"Are you seriously complaining/saying that your still not satisfied with RM yet!? Like he’s literally sent us on our best ever undefeated run of all time, gotten us to the FA Cup 5th round, made us play some great football which we’ve not seen in years, utilised many players that many of us saw as useless u dead former managers, and is certainly on track to get us promoted straight back to the prem (which may even be by winning the league) which was the main objective of this season!"

'kin hilarious.

I still don't think he's the right man for Saints but I also don't think he'll be sacked whatever happens this season.
Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 00:06 - Apr 2 with 2356 viewsSFC_Referee

Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 23:50 - Apr 1 by Ifonly

In case you need reminding, this is the last time you put up a poll on RM:

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/forum/306169/times-have-certa

When I said that I didn't think RM was the right man for Saints, you said:

"Are you seriously complaining/saying that your still not satisfied with RM yet!? Like he’s literally sent us on our best ever undefeated run of all time, gotten us to the FA Cup 5th round, made us play some great football which we’ve not seen in years, utilised many players that many of us saw as useless u dead former managers, and is certainly on track to get us promoted straight back to the prem (which may even be by winning the league) which was the main objective of this season!"

'kin hilarious.

I still don't think he's the right man for Saints but I also don't think he'll be sacked whatever happens this season.

And have I said any different? As I was just interested in seeing what most on here thought of him?
But even then that thread is from like 2 months ago, and a lot has changed since then, as two months ago we looked like we were battling for the title, whilst now we look to be battling in the playoffs. And even then, you were acting as if that amazing run we were on back then wasn’t that good and that it wasn’t impressive at all, which was ridiculous.
As yeah times have changed, but that run we went in back then still was amazing, just unfortunate it didn’t last forever and how we’ve been since it ended really hasn’t been the best

Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 00:16 - Apr 2 with 2341 viewsPatfromPoole

He may resign with Wilcox now leaving.

I could see Liam Rosenior coming to us. Cut from pretty much the same cloth.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 01:17 - Apr 2 with 2299 viewsChesham_Saint

Bye bye Rylan.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 06:09 - Apr 2 with 2215 viewssaintwizzler

Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 00:16 - Apr 2 by PatfromPoole

Resign and lose a hefty wage?
Not going to happen.
We saw what The Austrian Messiah did.

And can you honestly blame them?
Probably the only job you get rewarded if you fail.

WE MARCH ON

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 10:08 - Apr 2 with 2087 viewsSFC_Referee

Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 00:16 - Apr 2 by PatfromPoole

Well if he did go/get sacked I’d be up for getting in Steve Cooper as he’s got experience with both getting a team to the prem as well as keeping them up there.
[Post edited 2 Apr 10:08]

Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 11:49 - Apr 2 with 2026 viewssaintmark1976

No, he should be sacked today.
Login to get fewer ads

Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 11:54 - Apr 2 with 2016 viewsPatfromPoole

Martin’s position becomes a lot weaker with Wilcox gone.

Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 12:18 - Apr 2 with 1997 viewsfelly1

Think I'd give him a go next season...appreciate I'm in a minority.
Overall I've liked the football we've played, I just feel we've fallen short due to a two or three player shortcomings.
He does need to except his failing is conceding too many goals.. The balance is wrong.
Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 15:23 - Apr 2 with 1920 viewssaint901

Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 12:18 - Apr 2 by felly1

Think I'd give him a go next season...appreciate I'm in a minority.
Overall I've liked the football we've played, I just feel we've fallen short due to a two or three player shortcomings.
He does need to except his failing is conceding too many goals.. The balance is wrong.

So if next season we start in the Champ and we've not recruited into the positions we think we need, what then?

We need (IMHO) a GK, holding midfielder, centre forward.
Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 15:26 - Apr 2 with 1916 viewsSaintNick

Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 15:23 - Apr 2 by saint901

So if next season we start in the Champ and we've not recruited into the positions we think we need, what then?

Nearly 700 people viewed this poll, only 31 voted, why open it and view it and then not bother voting

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 15:54 - Apr 2 with 1886 viewsPatfromPoole

Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 15:26 - Apr 2 by SaintNick

Nearly 700 people viewed this poll, only 31 voted, why open it and view it and then not bother voting

Is that 700 different people, or maybe 70 people viewing it 10 times?

Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 16:31 - Apr 2 with 1837 viewsUTS1885

Everything was sweet a couple of months back and then we lost the unbeaten record. We then started to concede goals and the tactical approach didn’t change. What I’m seeing now is exactly the same painful mess that we saw under Hasenhuttl that led to relegation. Attack from the off and look to be playing well, come the hour mark it fades and we can’t see out games. The exposed space on the wings is bang on to be exploited as before.

Calderwood looked to be doing a great job, but it’s now going tits up.
Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 16:42 - Apr 2 with 1803 viewsfelly1

Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 15:23 - Apr 2 by saint901

Definitely need to strengthen in the areas you've highlighted.
Our goalkeeping situation is very poor.
The Ross Stewart situation is just an embarrassment.
The midfield needs to be bolstered with more grafters like Downes... Surely there's a few decent ones floating about the Championship who are desperate for the chance to prove themselves at a bigger ambitious club.

If and when THB goes we will need a new CB as well.
Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 16:43 - Apr 2 with 1803 viewsSFC_Referee

Well presuming A.Armstrong wasn’t to leave, we may have a striker with Ross Stewart, but I’d still hope for another one to replace brooks who’ll be almost certainly off to a prem team.
And similar situation for the holding midfielder if Downes didn’t come back, but a goalie I would probably agree with as well as another centre half or two to replace THB, and add that extra layer of backup, but also a decent fullback to replace KWP

Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 16:58 - Apr 2 with 1779 viewsA1079

I have voted No, because, although I am not 100% convinced by RM and do have some issues with his style, lack of a plan B and strange team selections and substitutions at times, on the balance of the season overall for me, we are in a better place than I expected to be at the beginning of the season (may be my expectations are low and I can see I will get panned for thinking this), by and large I have been entertained and enjoyed the football and the championship. That said, we have an expensive squad and arguably we should be in a better place than Ipswich but we were dire when we got relegated and I did think it would take longer to recover.

I can see some key players leaving but I think we desperately need to replace Bazunu - he has had long enough now and is just not doing it. We desperately need a reliable keeper and I would go for Viktor Johansson from Rotherham Utd. I would look at Szmodics as a striker irrespective of whether Ross Stewart comes through (I have a feeling he is not going to - pure gut instinct).

I am not saying I am a die-hard RM must stay person as I think there may be better options available in the summer but right now, for all his faults I cannot justify calling for him to go.
Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 09:51 - Apr 5 with 1515 viewsManhattan_Lynx

I would sack him now.
Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 17:35 - Apr 5 with 1411 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Truly unbelievable poll results. A manager finally gives you a winning season, and over 2/3 of you want him sacked.

Where is the thanks and appreciation?

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 17:58 - Apr 5 with 1394 viewsTripleNiemi

Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 17:35 - Apr 5 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Truly unbelievable poll results. A manager finally gives you a winning season, and over 2/3 of you want him sacked.

(Thanks and appreciation are…) Probably in the same place as your disregard for paying debts owed to charities….
[Post edited 5 Apr 17:59]

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 20:57 - Apr 5 with 1327 viewsManhattan_Lynx

Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 17:35 - Apr 5 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

It is a bit different to the pub leagues, pal.
Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 09:11 - Apr 6 with 1187 viewsmushinexile

Hmm, tricky. If we do not win the playoffs we still have a duff keeper, a crocked striker and a manager with only one game. Of the three, we have been able to compensate for the striker (although that may be different next season,) the manager has got it right more often than wrong but is going through a frustratingly bad patch but I see no excuses for the keeper. However strong the back four are, shots will get through and while we have at times looked like Fortress St Mary's this season, that is in no way due to the keeper's prowess. If only there were another Niemi, we would already be up and champions this season so I would rather see Bazunu go. That said, Martin must evolve a new style, and if he is not able to then I don't think he should be given another full season. The trouble is that by then we will be a mid championship side and then there won't be a quality manager available.
Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 10:45 - Apr 6 with 1132 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 17:58 - Apr 5 by TripleNiemi

(Thanks and appreciation are…) Probably in the same place as your disregard for paying debts owed to charities….
[Post edited 5 Apr 17:59]

I think the appreciation of our fans towards our team, certainly does help the club in winning trophies

Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 12:41 - Apr 6 with 1081 viewsdirk_doone

Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 10:45 - Apr 6 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

I think the appreciation of our fans towards our team, certainly does help the club in winning trophies

In many ways it's the opposite. You fans are notorious for booing your team and manager when they are unhappy with the results. You could argue that they won't tolerate a losing team. If anything, our fans are more easily pleased and slower to turn against the team. Perhaps we accept failure too easily.

There are countless "Pompey Boo Boys" headlines from the News in recent years as well as the "Boos ring out round Fratton Park " comments on match commentaries and, of course, as you say, you still keep winning trophies.

We are, for the size of our fanbase, in terms of trophies won, the most underperforming team in the country, yet the fans still keep turning up in numbers. But, most are so used to never winning anything that they see getting somewhere not too far from the top or losing cup finals as the peak of success.
[Post edited 6 Apr 13:25]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 10:50 - Apr 7 with 832 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs on 12:41 - Apr 6 by dirk_doone

In many ways it's the opposite. You fans are notorious for booing your team and manager when they are unhappy with the results. You could argue that they won't tolerate a losing team. If anything, our fans are more easily pleased and slower to turn against the team. Perhaps we accept failure too easily.

There are countless "Pompey Boo Boys" headlines from the News in recent years as well as the "Boos ring out round Fratton Park " comments on match commentaries and, of course, as you say, you still keep winning trophies.

We are, for the size of our fanbase, in terms of trophies won, the most underperforming team in the country, yet the fans still keep turning up in numbers. But, most are so used to never winning anything that they see getting somewhere not too far from the top or losing cup finals as the peak of success.
[Post edited 6 Apr 13:25]

Yes, but the point you are missing is that the team only get booed if they don’t put enough effort in, and it isn’t a regular thing.

The other point you are missing is that the fans really do get behind the team at all sorts of moments in a game, and lift them. Its why our club so often gets voted one of the best fan bases.

Crystal palace and Stoke have won sod all, bar a few lower league championships, but both fan bases can be vociferous. So, we have at least 2 clubs who have won less than your club, but still regularly manage to get in the best/ noisiest fans lists.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024