Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mike Channon 10:52 - Apr 11 with 1085 viewsgrumpy

On this day in 1966 he made his debut for Saints at 17.
He was the best forward I have ever seen play for Saints.
I remember him at The Dell taking the ball on the halfway line, and went round what looked like 6 Coventry players before scoring.
Played 46 times for England and scored 21 times.
His partnership with Keegan will in my mind never be beaten,it was magical.

[Post edited 11 Apr 10:53]
Mike Channon on 11:25 - Apr 11 with 1042 viewssaintmark1976

One of the few benefits of advancing years grumpy is that we can look back on some of the greats who have played for Saints, Channon is one such.

I was also at the game you mention and that day Micky was simply unplayable. What is easily forgotten is that he scored goals playing on pitches that during the winter were little better than today’s Sunday league offerings.

Not certain but doesn’t he still hold the England record for goals scored per games played?

Greatest disappointment for me was him not going to the World Cup Finals because of the performance of a Polish goalkeeper at Wembley years ago. The one that Brian Clough prior to kick off had publicaly called “a clown”. Didn’t Norman Hunter have something to do with it also?
Mike Channon on 13:00 - Apr 11 with 984 viewssaint901

I was introduced to the Dell as a 14 year old in 1971 and told that if I worked hard and progressed, one day I could play on that turf. In the meantime, here's the players boot room and a pile of boots to clean - see you later.

I can tell you that Channon had big feet.

I did eventually play at the Dell (but not for Saints - for Hampshire) and I did play against at least one of Channon's brothers in a Sunday League game.

He was a great player and probably deserved better treatment than we gave him.

Best Saints striker I've seen? Perhaps Ron Davies or Martin Chivers?

Best opposition striker I've seen against us? Perhaps Aguero (but I think Foden may soon eclipse him).
Mike Channon on 14:15 - Apr 11 with 925 views1teeminants

Best ever saints player in my book. Loved watching him at The Dell.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Mike Channon on 00:09 - Apr 12 with 760 viewsChesham_Saint

Mike Channon on 14:15 - Apr 11 by 1teeminants

Best ever saints player in my book. Loved watching him at The Dell.

Second only to MLT for me.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Mike Channon on 07:28 - Apr 12 with 687 viewsSonicBoom

It's a bit before my time but didn't he play for Portsmouth? Do we just ignore that?
Mike Channon on 07:47 - Apr 12 with 679 viewsChesham_Saint

Mike Channon on 07:28 - Apr 12 by SonicBoom

It's a bit before my time but didn't he play for Portsmouth? Do we just ignore that?

He did. And it hurt, but….

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Mike Channon on 08:01 - Apr 12 with 672 viewsA1079

My favourite Saints player. Loved seeing him play. He always showed enthusiasm and just played. He and Keegan were great together but my favourite moment was his goal against Liverpool following several one touch passes - almost Total Football as it was known then.
Mike Channon on 08:28 - Apr 12 with 663 viewsericofarabia

Mike Channon on 07:28 - Apr 12 by SonicBoom

At the end of a long career, helping out old mate Alan Ball who was skates boss ay the tome in Div 3. Also had a short spell at Newcastle as well teaming up with Keegan again. That's how things worked back then.
His was probably the best timed Testimonial ever. Nobody even in their wildest dreams could have imagined how the 75/76 season would finish

Played football for fun, with a smile on his face and a cheeky glint in his eye.
Absolute SFC legend. Let's also not forget it was his friendship with Keegan that was an important factor in the move happening.
I loved seeing him being interviewed or as a pundit on tv, with his Wiltshire brogue and tendency to slip in words like bloody etc which were risque at the time
My favourite quote of his was after getting a post match bolloxing from Lawrie he simply replied something like .... now look here gaffer, you have to remember playing football for me is a hobby, my real love is horse racing . But it was a hobby he did take seriously and never gave any les than 100% every match.
Login to get fewer ads

Mike Channon on 09:01 - Apr 12 with 646 viewsSaintNick

Mike Channon on 08:28 - Apr 12 by ericofarabia

At the end of a long career, helping out old mate Alan Ball who was skates boss ay the tome in Div 3. Also had a short spell at Newcastle as well teaming up with Keegan again. That's how things worked back then.
His was probably the best timed Testimonial ever. Nobody even in their wildest dreams could have imagined how the 75/76 season would finish

Played football for fun, with a smile on his face and a cheeky glint in his eye.
Absolute SFC legend. Let's also not forget it was his friendship with Keegan that was an important factor in the move happening.
I loved seeing him being interviewed or as a pundit on tv, with his Wiltshire brogue and tendency to slip in words like bloody etc which were risque at the time
My favourite quote of his was after getting a post match bolloxing from Lawrie he simply replied something like .... now look here gaffer, you have to remember playing football for me is a hobby, my real love is horse racing . But it was a hobby he did take seriously and never gave any les than 100% every match.

In reply to an earlier post about that 1973 game against Poland, yes Norman Hunter missed a tackle on the half way line which enabled Poland to break, but it was Peter Shilton in goal who let the ball squirm under him for what should have been a simple save, that really cost us that game.

Mick was at Pompey for just one season 1985/86, he played 34 games scoring 6 goals, Alan Ball was indeed the manager, but they were in the 2nd division at the time and battling for promotion, at one time they looked odds on but they bottled it at the end and finished 4th and in those days there were no play offs so they missed out.

Mick left and ended his career at Finn Harps, Pompey went up the next season, but spent one year in the top flight and Ball himself was sacked in January 89 with the club floundering in the 2nd division again

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Mike Channon on 13:03 - Apr 12 with 580 viewsSonicBoom

I do remember going to the semi against Watford at Villa Park and his son was on our minibus, dunno why. He's called Mick too I think and he was a really good lad and a huge Saints fan.
Mike Channon on 15:17 - Apr 12 with 517 viewskingslandstand1

Mike Channon on 08:28 - Apr 12 by ericofarabia

Talking of his interviews, probably the most seen was at Stamford Bridge after winning the semi against Palace, and he was in the communal bath (Christ, imagine pro's having those now!) and he was sat there and it was along the lines of "it's all very well getting there, now we've got to win the bloody thing!"

That testimonial as well on the Monday night, God knows how many were there (did Clive Thomas referee that as well as the final?) but QPR didn't know what hit them
Mike Channon on 15:26 - Apr 12 with 505 viewssaintjeff52

For me, Mick was our greatest ever Player. yeh, I know he went to City, and even played for Pompey didn't he
He's best summed up in an interview given in the dressing room after the 1976 Semi Final - " We've got here, now let's go on and bloody Win it" He did, and we did.
Mike Channon on 15:55 - Apr 12 with 495 viewsMonksway

Absolute Saints great. Difficult time with illness in later years. Amazing achievement as a top class trainer. Played football for England and trained a classic winner! Not bad for a Wiltshire lad.
Mike Channon on 11:41 - Apr 13 with 356 viewsJellybaby

Don't forget his signature windmill celebration!

Absolute joyous footballer with no airs and graces - I spent most of my childhood pretending to be him!

I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024