Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" 09:45 - Jun 5 with 5213 viewsKonk

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/jun/04/manchester-city-launch-

If Abu Dhabi Carpet Showrooms want to pay £300m a season to have some adverts by the hand driers in the bogs at Man City, why should Man City have to turn that down? If the Abu Dhabi Auto repairs centre wants to pay £500m to sponsor Phil Foden's away socks, then shouldn't they be able to? Market forces and all that.

I'm wishing Man City all the best in their noble struggle against "the tyranny of the majority" Why should a club's autocratic, authoritarian owners have to operate in anything vaguely resembling a democracy? Given that the 7 richest PL clubs can veto any proposal from the others, and can use their influence to force through changes, you could argue that the majority aren't actually operating much of a tyranny.

I really, really, really hate the Premier League, and I really, really, really hate what Man City have become. A club I have always had a soft spot for, and I found myself in the very, very weird position of being almost desperate for Manchester fu cking United(!) to beat them in the cup final. And that was almost universal amongst my mates, all of whom hate Man Utd.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 09:53 - Jun 5 with 3151 viewsdaveB

it's absolute madness from Man City, can't see how they win this and does point to this case coming up in October being very bad news for them so they are getting in early
Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 09:57 - Jun 5 with 3101 viewsBluce_Ree

It's rough but I wish Man City every success and hope they keep winning and avoid every charge. Mainly because they're the least offensive realistic option.

If City win things, it stops Liverpool and Chelsea winning them. I don't care about City or their happiness. If it wasn't them, I'd want someone else to be doing it. I dislike City a bit less than Arsenal/Spurs/Utd tho.

Utd used to hold this role for me. Stopping Chelsea back before I realised I hated Liverpool. But I do like the fact that United fans had 25 good years and then a bunch of mediocre ones. No one deserves that level of sustained success really so f**k United. Going nuts about an FA Cup win? The same competition they didn't enter one year because it was beneath them? Yeah, okay.

But yeah, keep going City and/or anyone but Liverpool/Chelsea. Keep cheating the system if you have to. Is it fair? No. Is it good for football? No. Is football c*nt? Yes. Do I give a f**k? Not much.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 09:58 - Jun 5 with 3096 viewsGaryBannister86

Didn't we always think it would come to this? Football ruled by who has the most powerful lawyers - what a mess. They all cheat at FFP, Chelsea, Man U, everyone. Hate all the big clubs, always have done, but it is all beyond the pale now.

I want us to get promoted, of course I do, but there's no doubt the Championship best reflects football of when we fell in love with it.
Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 10:08 - Jun 5 with 3048 viewsterryb

In principle I can't disagree that a club should be able to accept sponsorship from whosoever they want to. However, they would have to show that they have received the published payment into their bank rather than just a paper transaction in their accounts.

In reality, it would also be contrary to fair competition & they have to accept the rules of the competition they are playing in. Unless the rules are unlawful. That could be extremely difficult to prove! This action looks to me that they know they have lost their case & are trying to minimalise their punishment.
Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 10:09 - Jun 5 with 3038 viewsGaryBannister86

Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 09:57 - Jun 5 by Bluce_Ree

It's rough but I wish Man City every success and hope they keep winning and avoid every charge. Mainly because they're the least offensive realistic option.

If City win things, it stops Liverpool and Chelsea winning them. I don't care about City or their happiness. If it wasn't them, I'd want someone else to be doing it. I dislike City a bit less than Arsenal/Spurs/Utd tho.

Utd used to hold this role for me. Stopping Chelsea back before I realised I hated Liverpool. But I do like the fact that United fans had 25 good years and then a bunch of mediocre ones. No one deserves that level of sustained success really so f**k United. Going nuts about an FA Cup win? The same competition they didn't enter one year because it was beneath them? Yeah, okay.

But yeah, keep going City and/or anyone but Liverpool/Chelsea. Keep cheating the system if you have to. Is it fair? No. Is it good for football? No. Is football c*nt? Yes. Do I give a f**k? Not much.

This, with knobs on. Just don't care about City one iota, and if it stops all those other plastic fans going on about their own side, good for me.
Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 10:19 - Jun 5 with 2969 viewsDiscodroids

What a Midden the Premier league has become. A Plague pit of carcinogenic raw base greed, fawned over by fluffers with prapisim for 'Super Sunday'

I imagine when i go to hell i'll be forced to watch it on rotation in Ludovico Technique eye clamps.
[Post edited 5 Jun 10:22]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 10:59 - Jun 5 with 2816 viewsClive_Anderson

I love Man City winning everything, as said already it stops teams I hate winning them instead and also they are so dull with their passionless fans and their technically perfect but spreadsheet football sucking the life out of games that they make every Premier League season a boring procession.

The more the Premier League "product" is devalued the better, I'd like to see Man City win the next 10 titles and then after that get charged and all of them get rendered null and void making the whole thing completely pointless.
Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 11:00 - Jun 5 with 2825 viewsMrSheen

Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 10:19 - Jun 5 by Discodroids

What a Midden the Premier league has become. A Plague pit of carcinogenic raw base greed, fawned over by fluffers with prapisim for 'Super Sunday'

I imagine when i go to hell i'll be forced to watch it on rotation in Ludovico Technique eye clamps.

Football was much better when Bob Lord was putting dog meat in his pies* to buy the First Division for Burnley.

* I just made this bit up but as my brother-in-law is from Blackburn I would be able to find one witness to support it in court.
Login to get fewer ads

Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 11:12 - Jun 5 with 2766 viewsdaveB

Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 10:09 - Jun 5 by GaryBannister86

This, with knobs on. Just don't care about City one iota, and if it stops all those other plastic fans going on about their own side, good for me.

If they win there is nothing to stop a state buying one of the clubs you don't like and doing the same thing

And I do agree I much prefer Man City than the other clubs but this is really dangerous if they win this case.
[Post edited 5 Jun 11:13]
Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 11:34 - Jun 5 with 2663 viewsdmm

Excellent post, Konk and I very much agree with you. Citeh, the other big clubs and the Premier League continue to make football into a sport wholly different to the one I fell in love with as a lad. If we ever needed an example of how money corrupts, we have it in Premier League football.
Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 11:35 - Jun 5 with 2661 viewshubble

One thing I find interesting about this is their use of the concept of the "tyranny of the majority," which IIRC, comes from De Tocqueville's seminal analysis of how the United States compared to older regimes at the time, including France, of course. His 'Democracy in America' was written in the early 19th century, but is still very pertinent today.

In some obscure way, I can't help feeling that a quasi-state-owned football club using such language symbolises something that is afoot in the world at large: the end of democracy as we know it. Interesting times.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 11:41 - Jun 5 with 2645 viewsNed_Kennedys

If I was a vintage Manchester City fan who was there when they were a serial underperformer overshadowed by their neighbours then I’d be appalled by the soulless monster they have become.

However I’m not and the Premier League have allowed this to happen for the obscene love of money so are now reaping what they sowed. The likes of Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United would do exactly the same thing if they were able to I’m sure.

The sooner they all feck off to a Super Duper Europop Big Boy League the better.
Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 11:57 - Jun 5 with 2581 viewsSuperhoop83

Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 10:19 - Jun 5 by Discodroids

...with comfort breaks for reading the match reports in the Guardian.

Suffering since 1978.

Man City - on 12:00 - Jun 5 with 2554 viewsEastR

The Head of Irony Control and Comms at Man City is clearly still away celebrating their 4 wins in a row

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/jun/05/manchester-city-chair-w

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 12:06 - Jun 5 with 2514 viewslassel

Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 09:53 - Jun 5 by daveB

it's absolute madness from Man City, can't see how they win this and does point to this case coming up in October being very bad news for them so they are getting in early

I mean City’s point in this particular case is that the vote was 12 for, 8 against or abstain, with United now wishing they’d voted the other way so 55/45, far from unanimity to decide who can and can’t be sponsored by who they want.

I don’t think they’ll win as ultimately the rules of the PL are all declared and agreed upon by members, the interesting part is that they’re claiming damages from the PL so in order to win will have to show proof of a deal that has been vetoed by the new rules.

There aren’t even really many ‘benefits’ to this case as the proposed anchoring rules would mean clubs could have a £1bn a year shirt deal but wouldn’t be able to spend the money anyway, so there is clearly some sort of PL internal dirty laundry being aired in public.
Man City - on 12:24 - Jun 5 with 2412 viewsKonk

Man City - on 12:00 - Jun 5 by EastR

The Head of Irony Control and Comms at Man City is clearly still away celebrating their 4 wins in a row

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/jun/05/manchester-city-chair-w

When they talk about competition, I presume he means competing with Real Madrid and the Saudi League when it comes to spending. I suspect he's very happy with the competitive balance in the PL that sees Man City win the league 6 out of the last 7 seasons.

Whether they thinking spending limits and rules to prevent clubs from circumventing them are unfair or not, they are the rules, so clubs should adhere to them. Like the clever club owners who bought their club's grounds for £46bn, the pis s-take with sponsorships is so transparent that even a 7 year old could see it.

States should not be able to own football clubs full-stop, but when you have states with unlimited funds, you have to at least try and pretend you're interested in retaining some sort of competition. Man City now represent Abu Dhabi rather than Manchester, and the same with Saudi and Newcastle, and however much I might dislike pretty much everything about Man Utd and Liverpool, at least they're not state-owned.

I would love to see all these cu nts fu ck-off, I celebrate most English clubs' eliminations from European competitions, barely bother with the PL other than my club, and wouldn't give a sh it if most of the most highly-paid players fu cked-off to Saudi to play in their tinpot league. I only watch the FA cup final because I spend the early rounds banging onto my son about 'the magic of the cup', so feel I ought to at least watch the final. The fact that Bournemouth can outspend most of the world's biggest clubs, and the fact we hoover up so much emerging talent from around the world is really depressing. You support a Brazilian/Argentinian club and your bright young thing plays about 12 games for before they disappear to Europe/PL at the age of 17.

Man City - on 13:11 - Jun 5 with 2231 viewshantssi

Man City - on 12:24 - Jun 5 by Konk

When they talk about competition, I presume he means competing with Real Madrid and the Saudi League when it comes to spending. I suspect he's very happy with the competitive balance in the PL that sees Man City win the league 6 out of the last 7 seasons.

Whether they thinking spending limits and rules to prevent clubs from circumventing them are unfair or not, they are the rules, so clubs should adhere to them. Like the clever club owners who bought their club's grounds for £46bn, the pis s-take with sponsorships is so transparent that even a 7 year old could see it.

States should not be able to own football clubs full-stop, but when you have states with unlimited funds, you have to at least try and pretend you're interested in retaining some sort of competition. Man City now represent Abu Dhabi rather than Manchester, and the same with Saudi and Newcastle, and however much I might dislike pretty much everything about Man Utd and Liverpool, at least they're not state-owned.

I would love to see all these cu nts fu ck-off, I celebrate most English clubs' eliminations from European competitions, barely bother with the PL other than my club, and wouldn't give a sh it if most of the most highly-paid players fu cked-off to Saudi to play in their tinpot league. I only watch the FA cup final because I spend the early rounds banging onto my son about 'the magic of the cup', so feel I ought to at least watch the final. The fact that Bournemouth can outspend most of the world's biggest clubs, and the fact we hoover up so much emerging talent from around the world is really depressing. You support a Brazilian/Argentinian club and your bright young thing plays about 12 games for before they disappear to Europe/PL at the age of 17.

I could have written that myself!
Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 13:13 - Jun 5 with 2220 viewscharmr

Think of Noel Gallaghers reaction and comments about the club. He doesn’t give a fcuk about all this stuff. His team are winning and successful. Says it all really.
Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 13:15 - Jun 5 with 2197 viewslassel

Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 13:13 - Jun 5 by charmr

Think of Noel Gallaghers reaction and comments about the club. He doesn’t give a fcuk about all this stuff. His team are winning and successful. Says it all really.

In fairness the same can be said of anyone - it’s easy to say you’d never go back if the Saudis bought QPR but if within a decade the club were PL & CL champions the overwhelming majority would happily park any morals they’d previously professed.
Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 14:20 - Jun 5 with 2082 viewsMedwayR

This just shows what a mess FFP is and always has been.

If Man City want to spend, let them spend. They're only doing what chelsea did before them, and what Blackburn did before them.

Bringing in all these rules around spending will just result in what's happened, clubs try to find ways around them.

Find another way to protect clubs from going bust, owners depositing into escrow accounts or something like that.

I like the idea of aligning spending limits with TV income as the income can't be fiddled, the downside is that they'll still find ways to pay players off the books.

Poll: Who’s better?

Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 14:26 - Jun 5 with 2040 viewsKonk

Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 14:20 - Jun 5 by MedwayR

This just shows what a mess FFP is and always has been.

If Man City want to spend, let them spend. They're only doing what chelsea did before them, and what Blackburn did before them.

Bringing in all these rules around spending will just result in what's happened, clubs try to find ways around them.

Find another way to protect clubs from going bust, owners depositing into escrow accounts or something like that.

I like the idea of aligning spending limits with TV income as the income can't be fiddled, the downside is that they'll still find ways to pay players off the books.

My thing is that FFP as it stands only benefits the most successful clubs (at least, domestically that's the case), who by some amazing co-incidence, are generally the richest clubs too. Only a wage cap would be proper financial fair play, but that's never going to happen because the big clubs won't ever agree to it and it would disadvantage them internationally. In which case, as you suggest, if someone wants to bankroll Northampton Town to the Champions League, and they are happy to deposit enough cash in an escrow account to honour all contracts, then I don't really have a problem with that.

Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 14:30 - Jun 5 with 2020 viewsQPRcounsellor

Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 13:15 - Jun 5 by lassel

In fairness the same can be said of anyone - it’s easy to say you’d never go back if the Saudis bought QPR but if within a decade the club were PL & CL champions the overwhelming majority would happily park any morals they’d previously professed.

Not necessarily. I often bump into Tim Lovejoy and he isn't really bothered by Chelsea or the Premier League anymore. As for Noel Gallagher, coming from the same bloke who always banged on about bands being organic and the lack of working class kids coming through the music or acting world, and rightly loathing and taking the piss out of manufactured boy bands, he really should know better. Like you say though, when it's your club winning things, hard to tell how you'd feel.
Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 14:33 - Jun 5 with 1996 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 14:30 - Jun 5 by QPRcounsellor

Not necessarily. I often bump into Tim Lovejoy and he isn't really bothered by Chelsea or the Premier League anymore. As for Noel Gallagher, coming from the same bloke who always banged on about bands being organic and the lack of working class kids coming through the music or acting world, and rightly loathing and taking the piss out of manufactured boy bands, he really should know better. Like you say though, when it's your club winning things, hard to tell how you'd feel.

Well, Lovejoy's a Watford fan despite he's sleeping around with the SW Scum.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 14:46 - Jun 5 with 1919 viewsDiscodroids

Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 11:57 - Jun 5 by Superhoop83

...with comfort breaks for reading the match reports in the Guardian.

;-)
xx

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 15:11 - Jun 5 with 1845 viewsE17hoop

Man City - "Tryanny of the majority" on 14:26 - Jun 5 by Konk

My thing is that FFP as it stands only benefits the most successful clubs (at least, domestically that's the case), who by some amazing co-incidence, are generally the richest clubs too. Only a wage cap would be proper financial fair play, but that's never going to happen because the big clubs won't ever agree to it and it would disadvantage them internationally. In which case, as you suggest, if someone wants to bankroll Northampton Town to the Champions League, and they are happy to deposit enough cash in an escrow account to honour all contracts, then I don't really have a problem with that.

The problem is it creates a rising tide throughout the football pyramid. If the top 6 want to compete, they need to invest more to catch Man City.

If the mid table Prem teams want to compete, they need to invest more.

To stay up, lower PL teams need to invest more.

To get promoted, Championship teams need to invest more to compete.

And so on...

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024