Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We should sign a team of Spaniards 07:40 - Jul 13 with 1146 viewsPatfromPoole

Mr. Rustyball is trying to do in 4 weeks what it takes most British players years to do.

Coach players to pass the ball at all costs.

It’s an admirable aim. However we are not Man. City, and we are destined to see a lot of stupid goals given away by pissing about with the ball in our area, which will cost us.

A team full of Spaniards would be wholly comfortable with this style of play.

Might be work permit issues, but just get them to marry a load of Sotonian girls.

Simples.

Move aside Ankersen, let Pat from Poole sort out this for you.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2023 7:40]

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

We should sign a team of Spaniards on 08:33 - Jul 13 with 1057 viewsRon11

'Pissing about with the ball in our area'.
Very apt and I've lost count of the times I've used that very phrase when commenting on a Saints performance here and elsewhere over the last two seasons.
It needs to be more direct in this division, otherwise it'll be yet another season of watching them give the ball away in our own half and then utter panic in the defence, with the likes of Che Adams and Adam Armstrong standing watching having had not even a sniff of the ball.
Can we take any more of that?
I don't think so.
We should sign a team of Spaniards on 09:02 - Jul 13 with 1031 viewsPatfromPoole

We should sign a team of Spaniards on 08:33 - Jul 13 by Ron11

'Pissing about with the ball in our area'.
Very apt and I've lost count of the times I've used that very phrase when commenting on a Saints performance here and elsewhere over the last two seasons.
It needs to be more direct in this division, otherwise it'll be yet another season of watching them give the ball away in our own half and then utter panic in the defence, with the likes of Che Adams and Adam Armstrong standing watching having had not even a sniff of the ball.
Can we take any more of that?
I don't think so.

There is no chance of us being more direct under Mr. Rustyball.

We will be the exact opposite.

About 50 passes leading to a shot. If we’re lucky.

I fear this is not destined to end well.

We should sign a team of Spaniards on 09:59 - Jul 13 with 996 viewsIfonly

The reason why we are supposed to pass at all costs is that it draws out the opposition and so creates space to attack in. All I can say is that there was no sign of this working yesterday. You have to be team smart to exploit any space and at the moment we're a bit of a shambles. It's early days, but at the moment we've got a team that is suffering all the risk from crazy passing at the back, but gaining none of the supposed benefit.

There is a lot of work to do and RM will need a settled side to do that with. He won't know what that side is until 2nd September at the earliest. The early part of the season will be a tester.
We should sign a team of Spaniards on 12:06 - Jul 13 with 940 viewsPatfromPoole

We should sign a team of Spaniards on 09:59 - Jul 13 by Ifonly

The reason why we are supposed to pass at all costs is that it draws out the opposition and so creates space to attack in. All I can say is that there was no sign of this working yesterday. You have to be team smart to exploit any space and at the moment we're a bit of a shambles. It's early days, but at the moment we've got a team that is suffering all the risk from crazy passing at the back, but gaining none of the supposed benefit.

There is a lot of work to do and RM will need a settled side to do that with. He won't know what that side is until 2nd September at the earliest. The early part of the season will be a tester.

I think I may have said this before, but I believe the idea of Rustyball is that you pass through the opposing side’s press and that is how you pounce.

What is not clear to me at all is if the oppo decide not to press and just get the cigars out. I think possibly a scenario reminiscent of West Germany v Austria in the 1982 World Cup.

We should sign a team of Spaniards on 12:56 - Jul 13 with 906 viewsSaintNick

We should sign a team of Spaniards on 09:02 - Jul 13 by PatfromPoole

Last season Swansea scored 68 goals, only Burnley, Sheffield United and Middlesbrough scored more, why is it not destined to end well.

If we want to be simplistic which most people seem to want to be, if Russell Martin got Swansea to within 3 points of the play offs with no budget and a squad far worse than ours is likely to be, then it would be logical that with around £50 million to be spent on rebuilding our squad and with a balance of players that do stay, new arrivals and some promising youngsters that he could do a little better.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

We should sign a team of Spaniards on 13:13 - Jul 13 with 899 viewsPatfromPoole

We should sign a team of Spaniards on 12:56 - Jul 13 by SaintNick

Last season Swansea scored 68 goals, only Burnley, Sheffield United and Middlesbrough scored more, why is it not destined to end well.

If we want to be simplistic which most people seem to want to be, if Russell Martin got Swansea to within 3 points of the play offs with no budget and a squad far worse than ours is likely to be, then it would be logical that with around £50 million to be spent on rebuilding our squad and with a balance of players that do stay, new arrivals and some promising youngsters that he could do a little better.

It took him two whole seasons to get Swansea within 3 points of the play-offs.

Would he get the same time here? Very doubtful.

My main concern is how adaptable our current players are to Rustyball.

Somebody like Jack Stephens; maybe yes, he has ability on the ball. But I can’t think of many others.

They scored 68 goals last season; Joel Piroe got 19 of them, I have harped on about Piroe far too much as it is, but take him out and replace him with a 6-goal striker and they would have been struggling to stay up, given their high goals conceded figure of 64 (another concern for me).

We should sign a team of Spaniards on 13:14 - Jul 13 with 899 viewsIfonly

We should sign a team of Spaniards on 12:06 - Jul 13 by PatfromPoole

I think I may have said this before, but I believe the idea of Rustyball is that you pass through the opposing side’s press and that is how you pounce.

What is not clear to me at all is if the oppo decide not to press and just get the cigars out. I think possibly a scenario reminiscent of West Germany v Austria in the 1982 World Cup.

The theory says it's good news if they don't press, and some teams won't. We can then pass it about in the opponents half instead. Less space to work in but less risk. We pull them from side to side and eventually we get an opening. That's the theory anyway! Anyone who's watched Saints for the last few years knows how vulnerable we are on the break, so also knows that this theory hasn't worked for us. Yesterday for their first goal we gave another masterclass in how not to defend against the break away.

I think we both agree that our defenders aren't good enough to pass it around our own penalty box and we don't have the budget to sign players that are both good defenders and good ball players. So for me it's the wrong strategy. It might work against some teams in the Championship but donkey centre halfs trying to pass it round a well drilled PL level press is only going to end one way. So ultimately it's doomed but we don't have a choice so I'm just going to try to not get too frustrated, sit back and watch it play out. It might end up being amusing in a Buster Keaton kind of way.
We should sign a team of Spaniards on 13:28 - Jul 13 with 886 viewsarfurdent

so who goes to watch Saints and expect them to win. That sort of boredom is reserved fo the scumbags who support PL top 7 sides.

The occassional win is all the more sweet because it is not a regular thing

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

Login to get fewer ads

We should sign a team of Spaniards on 13:30 - Jul 13 with 884 viewsPatfromPoole

We should sign a team of Spaniards on 13:28 - Jul 13 by arfurdent

so who goes to watch Saints and expect them to win. That sort of boredom is reserved fo the scumbags who support PL top 7 sides.

The occassional win is all the more sweet because it is not a regular thing

I get that mindset when you’re in the Prem.

Are you happy with not winning very often in the Championship though?

We should sign a team of Spaniards on 13:41 - Jul 13 with 870 viewsSaintNick

We should sign a team of Spaniards on 13:13 - Jul 13 by PatfromPoole

It took him two whole seasons to get Swansea within 3 points of the play-offs.

Would he get the same time here? Very doubtful.

My main concern is how adaptable our current players are to Rustyball.

Somebody like Jack Stephens; maybe yes, he has ability on the ball. But I can’t think of many others.

They scored 68 goals last season; Joel Piroe got 19 of them, I have harped on about Piroe far too much as it is, but take him out and replace him with a 6-goal striker and they would have been struggling to stay up, given their high goals conceded figure of 64 (another concern for me).

Again you are judging them at Premier League level, this is a notch down, you have more time on the ball.

There are plenty who will be comfortable on the ball in the Championship, new arrivals Manning and Charles for example, Will Smallbone, this is a reboot we are building from the bottom again

Yes but we have a 28 goal striker in Adam Armstrong who will thrive on balls played into the channels, so we are taking out a 19 goal striker and replacing him with a 28 goal striker

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

We should sign a team of Spaniards on 13:44 - Jul 13 with 864 viewsPatfromPoole

We should sign a team of Spaniards on 13:41 - Jul 13 by SaintNick

Again you are judging them at Premier League level, this is a notch down, you have more time on the ball.

There are plenty who will be comfortable on the ball in the Championship, new arrivals Manning and Charles for example, Will Smallbone, this is a reboot we are building from the bottom again

Yes but we have a 28 goal striker in Adam Armstrong who will thrive on balls played into the channels, so we are taking out a 19 goal striker and replacing him with a 28 goal striker

Rustyball isn’t about playing the ball into the channels though.

I don’t think this style of play will suit him at all.

We should sign a team of Spaniards on 13:49 - Jul 13 with 857 viewsTripleNiemi

We should sign a team of Spaniards on 13:30 - Jul 13 by PatfromPoole

I get that mindset when you’re in the Prem.

Are you happy with not winning very often in the Championship though?

Fear not Pat - we are gonna tear the Championship a new one. 100 points plus inbound

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

We should sign a team of Spaniards on 13:51 - Jul 13 with 856 viewsPatfromPoole

We should sign a team of Spaniards on 13:41 - Jul 13 by SaintNick

I also don’t think you will have more time on the ball in the Championship.

If anything it’s the reverse.

It’s far more blood and thunder, with the play condensed more into the middle third of the pitch with tackles flying in.

Mr. Rustyball is a believer in flooding the middle of the pitch with players to out-pass the oppo. I think it’s a strategy more suited to the Prem than the Championship, where you risk getting bullied by more physical sides, of which there are many in the Championship.

Millwall away is a far more concerning prospect on the pitch than off it, I would suggest.

Spanish players would have the skill on the ball to not be put off by this.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2023 15:41]

We should sign a team of Spaniards on 14:00 - Jul 13 with 840 viewsLondonSaint76

We should sign a team of Spaniards on 09:02 - Jul 13 by PatfromPoole

Re: About 50 passes leading to a shot. If we’re lucky - The commentator yesterday must have used the expression ‘recycling possession’ at least half a dozen times during the game which is a polite way of saying pissing about with the ball, not just in and around the box but on some occasions from well inside the half we were attacking way back into our own defensive half of the field.

So, we are recycling possession in recycled shirts! In the press release for the new kit they proudly told us how the new shirts are made from recycled plastic bottles and that it takes an average of 8 bottles to make 1 shirt. They also proudly told us that they saved over 160,000 plastic bottles from being disposed of as they went into last season’s shirts. If the figures are correct that means they only sold 20,000 shirts which is nothing by PL standards these days and somewhat challenges the marketing department’s claim that lots of people liked last season’s shirts and that they were selling well.

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

We should sign a team of Spaniards on 14:43 - Jul 13 with 809 viewsfelly1

Will A Armstrong score 20 plus goals for us??
Will Bazunu find his level in Championship and pull off worldie?

Will Smallbone, Tella, Manning convert their form at other Championship clubs to us and we'll blaze a trail?

Will Stephens win over Nick and be the mythical leader at the back we've all dreamed about?

Time will unfold.. We all will pass through it and the answers will be provided... Let's relax.
We should sign a team of Spaniards on 14:49 - Jul 13 with 808 viewsIfonly

We should sign a team of Spaniards on 13:51 - Jul 13 by PatfromPoole

I also don’t think you will have more time on the ball in the Championship.

If anything it’s the reverse.

It’s far more blood and thunder, with the play condensed more into the middle third of the pitch with tackles flying in.

Mr. Rustyball is a believer in flooding the middle of the pitch with players to out-pass the oppo. I think it’s a strategy more suited to the Prem than the Championship, where you risk getting bullied by more physical sides, of which there are many in the Championship.

Millwall away is a far more concerning prospect on the pitch than off it, I would suggest.

Spanish players would have the skill on the ball to not be put off by this.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2023 15:41]

I think I'd agree with Nick on this one(!) in as far as Rustyball working better in the Championship. I'll admit I haven't attended any Championship games for a few years, only seen them on TV, but my impression is that there isn't much difference between the 2 leagues in terms of the midfield pressure applied against the ball and I would say the quality of high pressing in the PL is better. I could be wrong.

But I think, more importantly, we will get punished less often in the Championship when we inevitably give the ball away. PL teams have the skill, speed and composure to punish mistakes, Championship teams less so. Given that it's inevitable we make mistakes playing Rustyball and give the ball away in dangerous situations, we will be grateful for this. That's not to downplay the Championship, it's just that at PL level you're playing against world class.
We should sign a team of Spaniards on 17:43 - Jul 13 with 720 viewsSonicBoom

Calling it Rustyball seems to suggests he's invented a whole new style of football. He hasn't.
Every manager has their preferred method. He wants to dominate possession but he also wants to score goals I'd imagine.
Also, it's pretty much what we've been trying to do for the last 5 years. We tried to keep the ball as they can't score if we have it. Problem was we couldn't put the ball in the net.
Anyway, shall we at least give the bloke a chance before we decide we don't have the players, or the style doesn't work?
We don't even know what the line up will look like at this point!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024