Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shane 21:55 - Feb 6 with 997 viewsPatfromPoole

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, can the club just bloody well sort out a new contract for Shane?

He was excellent again last night, and is a brilliant foil for Ings.

I can see exactly what will happen. We will offer him a measly 1-year extension, and a club like Burnley or a promoted club will offer him a 2-year or 3-year deal, and he will leave on a Bosman free transfer. And frankly who could blame him?

Would be madness. He still has an awful lot to offer, and I think would for at least 2 more years.

I know I’m biased as he’s my favourite player, but this situation is really irritating me.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Shane on 22:19 - Feb 6 with 956 viewsthis_charming_man

Goa will be rubbing his hands together knowing it’s another £70k a week off the wage bill soon. He’ll know full well there are enough cheer leaders that will still plead his case, we can’t possibly spend any money because we made some bad signings a few years ago etc

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Shane on 22:21 - Feb 6 with 953 viewsTripleNiemi

If i have learnt one thing over recent years surrounding Saints, it's not to let anything wind me up anymore as nothing surprises me.

I will be absolutely amazed if Ralph is with us next season.

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Shane on 22:23 - Feb 6 with 948 viewsPatfromPoole

It would cost about £15 million to replace him.

It’s a completely false economy to let him leave.

He properly cares as well. Real team player.

I can’t praise him highly enough.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Shane on 22:26 - Feb 6 with 945 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Shane on 22:21 - Feb 6 by TripleNiemi

If i have learnt one thing over recent years surrounding Saints, it's not to let anything wind me up anymore as nothing surprises me.

I will be absolutely amazed if Ralph is with us next season.

Yeah, this ... sadly.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Shane on 22:30 - Feb 6 with 939 viewsTripleNiemi

Shane on 22:23 - Feb 6 by PatfromPoole

All i will say is Yoshida.

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Shane on 22:34 - Feb 6 with 935 viewsA1079

I cannot say i have always been Long's best fan, though, I have always respected his work ethic and at times he has been like the engine in the team. Where I have had a problem with him (and he isn't alone) is his poor conversion rate against the chances he has had.

But, all the above said Pat, I agree with you. He is playing a huge part and he is that engine again and coupling up well with Ings. It would be foolhardy not to do as you suggest, because someone will snap him up and they will benefit from it at our loss.
Shane on 03:07 - Feb 7 with 845 viewsBuenosSaint

Shane on 22:34 - Feb 6 by A1079

I cannot say i have always been Long's best fan, though, I have always respected his work ethic and at times he has been like the engine in the team. Where I have had a problem with him (and he isn't alone) is his poor conversion rate against the chances he has had.

But, all the above said Pat, I agree with you. He is playing a huge part and he is that engine again and coupling up well with Ings. It would be foolhardy not to do as you suggest, because someone will snap him up and they will benefit from it at our loss.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/members/BuenosSaint/polls/241

Recent poll showed over 90% voters want to keep him in some capacity. Agreed that letting him go would be complete false economy.

Poll: The Long Future

Shane on 06:42 - Feb 7 with 808 viewssaint22

Shane on 22:30 - Feb 6 by TripleNiemi

All i will say is Yoshida.

and cedric
Login to get fewer ads

Shane on 06:47 - Feb 7 with 804 viewsMattFinish

It's clear what Gao is doing is a major cut of the wage bill
Shane on 09:08 - Feb 7 with 698 viewsinthebox

Shane on 06:47 - Feb 7 by MattFinish

Asset striping?
Shane on 09:09 - Feb 7 with 695 viewsinthebox

Shane on 09:08 - Feb 7 by inthebox

Asset striping?

stripping
Shane on 09:12 - Feb 7 with 690 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Shane on 22:23 - Feb 6 by PatfromPoole

Absolutely agree with this.

Cedric wants to move on anyway, so nothing lost, just have to hope the club replaces him well ... yeah right.

Yoshida has plummeted in confidence and skill, and I think the loan out might be to try to rebuild his confidence after that 9-0 travesty.

Long though has been playing most weeks and has formed a great partnership with Ings and the midfield. If he scored more, he'd be a £50m player and Saints would sell him. He isn't that player, but he's been pivotal and seems like he genuinely cares. Keep him.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Shane on 09:41 - Feb 7 with 670 viewsDorsetIan

Shane on 09:12 - Feb 7 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Absolutely agree with this.

Cedric wants to move on anyway, so nothing lost, just have to hope the club replaces him well ... yeah right.

Yoshida has plummeted in confidence and skill, and I think the loan out might be to try to rebuild his confidence after that 9-0 travesty.

Long though has been playing most weeks and has formed a great partnership with Ings and the midfield. If he scored more, he'd be a £50m player and Saints would sell him. He isn't that player, but he's been pivotal and seems like he genuinely cares. Keep him.

I agree.

His finishing is not the best but he plays a crucial role in the current team in chasing down long balls and putting defenders under pressure, more, importantly winning the ball in the air. Noone else in the team is anywhere near him in his ability to out jump the other team and therefore pick up the ball from long kick offs. Without him, the ball almost immediately passes to the other side.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Shane on 11:34 - Feb 7 with 616 viewsTimSaint

He needs to be offered a contract extension for at least another year or 2.

He is settled here, has a young family and probably doesn't want the upheaval of another move for while yet, if he can help it.

Che doesn't look ready enough to replace him just yet.

Perhaps the way forward is to offer him a contract that is less money, but with more scoring bonuses. Should be a motivator, but who knows, especially as he didn't celebrate his goal last night !!

He has cult status though, what with his fastest ever Prem goal, the semi goal at Anfield and his performances against Villa (6-1) and Arsenal (4-0).

Would be sad if he was allowed to leave in the summer. I'm sure the some contract talks have happened, but who knows, maybe Shane can't reach an agreement, or has said he is going to see out his contract and move for free ?

TimSaint

Shane on 13:36 - Feb 7 with 541 viewsI_would

I feel sorry for you if he's your favourite player.

Last 3 seasons a total of 8 goals and 4 assists. For a striker! £60k pw.

VVD 8 goals and 2 assists as a CB.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2020 14:00]

Poll: How many players should RH play at the back on Saturday?

Shane on 14:02 - Feb 7 with 523 viewsthis_charming_man

Shane on 06:47 - Feb 7 by MattFinish

He's done it very well, we've manged to reduce the wage bill by about £250k a week in the last 12 months. Still seem to have to sell to buy though.

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024