Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stephens & Redmond 19:59 - Mar 10 with 3882 viewswemarch

Both really poor, Stephens barely had few touches, he's walking on the pitch while others are running. Redmond, don't know what's he doing, can't pass, can't dribble, can't shoot, can't move into space. Utterly waste of space for both I'm afraid!
Stephens & Redmond on 20:01 - Mar 10 with 3093 viewsRon11

May well have got something out of that game if they hard started Diallo and Tella instead of those two.
Stephens & Redmond on 20:05 - Mar 10 with 3074 views1885_SFC

Redmond is so frustrating to watch lately. I swear somewhere in there is a decent footballer - but he has this inability to find a team mate whenever he tries to pass the ball. Very, very frustrating. Would love to see his stats for passes completed...

Old School is Cool

Stephens & Redmond on 20:05 - Mar 10 with 3073 viewswemarch

Stephens & Redmond on 20:01 - Mar 10 by Ron11

May well have got something out of that game if they hard started Diallo and Tella instead of those two.

Can't agree with you more, Redmond had been like this since he's back from injury, and Stephens…not surprised at all as he's played most of his games walking the pitch!
Stephens & Redmond on 21:59 - Mar 10 with 2880 viewscynicalsaint

Stephens & Redmond on 20:05 - Mar 10 by wemarch

Can't agree with you more, Redmond had been like this since he's back from injury, and Stephens…not surprised at all as he's played most of his games walking the pitch!

Redmond is different class - he's struggling because he's playing in a mid table team. He'll be off to a top 4 team in the summer and the doubters will see what we lost.
[Post edited 10 Mar 2021 22:00]
Stephens & Redmond on 22:57 - Mar 10 with 2818 viewshedgeend61

Stephens & Redmond on 21:59 - Mar 10 by cynicalsaint

Redmond is different class - he's struggling because he's playing in a mid table team. He'll be off to a top 4 team in the summer and the doubters will see what we lost.
[Post edited 10 Mar 2021 22:00]

You're obviously on a wind up, never watched him play, related to him, or know nothing about football, but iI'll bite.

If all our players are fit, he doesn't even make our first 11, so how's he going to play for a top 4 team? Putting in 100% every week should be a given for 90 minutes, he even struggles with that. Can't pass, can't shoot, rarely scores, hardly ever goes by players, lacks intelligence, apart from that he's World Class.
If we want to move on to being a lower/mid table side to a 7-10th placed side, we need better standard players than Nathan, whois at best a lower PL/Championship player.

I'm 59, overweight,can't run and still got more chance of playing for a Top 4 side next season than he has
Stephens & Redmond on 06:31 - Mar 11 with 2698 viewsblambo

Stephens & Redmond on 22:57 - Mar 10 by hedgeend61

You're obviously on a wind up, never watched him play, related to him, or know nothing about football, but iI'll bite.

If all our players are fit, he doesn't even make our first 11, so how's he going to play for a top 4 team? Putting in 100% every week should be a given for 90 minutes, he even struggles with that. Can't pass, can't shoot, rarely scores, hardly ever goes by players, lacks intelligence, apart from that he's World Class.
If we want to move on to being a lower/mid table side to a 7-10th placed side, we need better standard players than Nathan, whois at best a lower PL/Championship player.

I'm 59, overweight,can't run and still got more chance of playing for a Top 4 side next season than he has

59, over0-weight, can't run...
Did I write this and then forget that I did ?
Stephens & Redmond on 06:56 - Mar 11 with 2681 viewssaint22

Stephens should not feature for us again
Stephens & Redmond on 07:12 - Mar 11 with 2666 viewsSaintNick

Stephens & Redmond on 20:05 - Mar 10 by 1885_SFC

Redmond is so frustrating to watch lately. I swear somewhere in there is a decent footballer - but he has this inability to find a team mate whenever he tries to pass the ball. Very, very frustrating. Would love to see his stats for passes completed...

Redmond is the easy target, in terms of how well he played, he had a better game than several other players and created a few chances not least the shot that brought a corner from which we got the penalty..

He didn't have a great game, but he had as good a game as most in our team, yet he is always the one singled out

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Login to get fewer ads

Stephens & Redmond on 07:29 - Mar 11 with 2644 viewsSalisburySaint

Stephens & Redmond on 07:12 - Mar 11 by SaintNick

Redmond is the easy target, in terms of how well he played, he had a better game than several other players and created a few chances not least the shot that brought a corner from which we got the penalty..

He didn't have a great game, but he had as good a game as most in our team, yet he is always the one singled out

Fully agree Nick, for some reason no matter what he does Redmond is scapegoat

One of my favourite players and someone who is up there as a contender for Player of the Season, Stuart Armstrong had a poor game last night, and as highlighted on TV was not tracking back for first goal, yet no stick for him most trying to blame Bertrand.

However that's some Saints fans for you they have their chosen players to hate and no matter how they play they'll always find room to criticise them .
Stephens & Redmond on 07:49 - Mar 11 with 2625 viewsSadoldgit

I didn’t think that Redmond was that bad last night but agree that he is a frustrating player. Stephens on the other hand? He has often been touted as a possible DM. I think we saw last night that his best position is as 2nd back up CH and should spend his time on the bench.
The sad thing is that City weren’t on top of their game and we might have gotten something out of it if we had played our strongest team. Even with testing players there is no guarantee that we will beat Brighton and every game has points to play for. I don’t know if Ralph was expecting a spanking and wanted to save Forster the back ache of picking the ball out of the net, but having decided to start him it was a strange decision to bring back McCarthy for this game. Let’s hope it pays off against Brighton as I would be surprised if Fulham do a job on City.
Stephens & Redmond on 07:57 - Mar 11 with 2618 viewsBerber

Stephens & Redmond on 07:49 - Mar 11 by Sadoldgit

I didn’t think that Redmond was that bad last night but agree that he is a frustrating player. Stephens on the other hand? He has often been touted as a possible DM. I think we saw last night that his best position is as 2nd back up CH and should spend his time on the bench.
The sad thing is that City weren’t on top of their game and we might have gotten something out of it if we had played our strongest team. Even with testing players there is no guarantee that we will beat Brighton and every game has points to play for. I don’t know if Ralph was expecting a spanking and wanted to save Forster the back ache of picking the ball out of the net, but having decided to start him it was a strange decision to bring back McCarthy for this game. Let’s hope it pays off against Brighton as I would be surprised if Fulham do a job on City.

I agree with nearly all of this. Stephens is definitely not a utility player, and was hopelessly lost in midfield. We were so much better when Diallo came on and the team started functioning more slickly. I'm not sure we would have got something from the game. I was expecting a 3-1 final score, but was hugely disappointed for it to be 3-1 at half time. Adams was slack to get himself offside when he put the ball in the net.
Stephens & Redmond on 08:28 - Mar 11 with 2589 viewsSaintNick

Stephens & Redmond on 07:57 - Mar 11 by Berber

I agree with nearly all of this. Stephens is definitely not a utility player, and was hopelessly lost in midfield. We were so much better when Diallo came on and the team started functioning more slickly. I'm not sure we would have got something from the game. I was expecting a 3-1 final score, but was hugely disappointed for it to be 3-1 at half time. Adams was slack to get himself offside when he put the ball in the net.

I remember the old days on hear when I used to be berated for my criticism of Stephens and told that i must have something against him because he was destined for an England cap.

My opinion of him hasn't changed, he is a reasonable squad player who will do a job for the odd game or two, but he is not up to the standard needed for a player who you want to play 38 games a season.

This was only 8 months ago, last July I was being slated for my views on him, now I sound like his mother due to the abuse thrown at him by a large group of our fans.

He has started 12 games this season, after the first two , his next four starts saw clean sheets kept and he has also played in several positions, Jack Stephens is no better or worse than he has been in the last four years

Good squad player, if he is a regular starter then there are issues

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Stephens & Redmond on 08:57 - Mar 11 with 2552 views1885_SFC

Stephens & Redmond on 07:29 - Mar 11 by SalisburySaint

Fully agree Nick, for some reason no matter what he does Redmond is scapegoat

One of my favourite players and someone who is up there as a contender for Player of the Season, Stuart Armstrong had a poor game last night, and as highlighted on TV was not tracking back for first goal, yet no stick for him most trying to blame Bertrand.

However that's some Saints fans for you they have their chosen players to hate and no matter how they play they'll always find room to criticise them .

That's not my point about Redmond. I watched every minute of the game last night as well as every Saints game this season where Redmond has taken part - be it starting or coming on as a substitute.

If you read back through any of my posts over previous seasons, you will find that I am (and always have been) a supporter of Redmond. This season however - he seems to have gone off the boil... lost a lot of confidence. He's nowhere near as sharp as he used to be & most frustrating of all, his snap decision making isn't there - something you need in the Premier League.

Redmond is a confidence player and always has been. I think I'm right in saying he only has 1 goal this season and that tells a story. He needs a goal - and soon. In previous season's he buzzes in & around the box and has scored some excellent goals for us. He needs a goal to up his confidence - after which I'm sure we'll see the Redmond of old. But what I've see of him so far this season - he's missing... something.

Old School is Cool

Stephens & Redmond on 09:26 - Mar 11 with 2522 viewsdirk_doone

Stephens & Redmond on 08:57 - Mar 11 by 1885_SFC

That's not my point about Redmond. I watched every minute of the game last night as well as every Saints game this season where Redmond has taken part - be it starting or coming on as a substitute.

If you read back through any of my posts over previous seasons, you will find that I am (and always have been) a supporter of Redmond. This season however - he seems to have gone off the boil... lost a lot of confidence. He's nowhere near as sharp as he used to be & most frustrating of all, his snap decision making isn't there - something you need in the Premier League.

Redmond is a confidence player and always has been. I think I'm right in saying he only has 1 goal this season and that tells a story. He needs a goal - and soon. In previous season's he buzzes in & around the box and has scored some excellent goals for us. He needs a goal to up his confidence - after which I'm sure we'll see the Redmond of old. But what I've see of him so far this season - he's missing... something.

One or two of our players seem to have lost their self-belief, which is understandable after the results they've had. A spell in the B team or out on loan would probably do Redmond a world of good. The problem is the games are coming so thick and fast this season and the squad is so severely reduced by injuries that any first first team squad player who is fit enough usually has to play. On a positive note, I thought Redmond looked a bit better in the Man City game than he has in other games recently.

You are absolutely right about him needing a goal. There were a couple of occasions in the City game where you could see he was thinking about shooting then decided not to because he was afraid of missing.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Stephens & Redmond on 09:38 - Mar 11 with 2503 viewssaint22

This is very true with him I think
He needs run in the team and to be playing with confidence
His problem is he is in and out of the team so that doesn't help but equally it seems he feels he is good enough to be a regular and has this can't be arsed attitude half the time
that and the fact he constantly goes backwards
Stephens & Redmond on 09:40 - Mar 11 with 2505 viewsGasGiant

I don't know why Salisu gets a free pass when everyone jumps on Jack Stephens back at the drop of a hat. I've seen Salisu dawdle and be robbed of posession more than Stephens when playing in the same position and not a word of criticism. Two goals last night were down to him. All I learned last night is that Stephens is not suited to the midfield role - or at least he isn't used to it.
Stephens & Redmond on 09:52 - Mar 11 with 2496 viewsDorsetIan

I agree that Redmond has been off the boil this season and in some matches more than others.

More generally, he is a solid player who can carry the ball forward, but for all the time he has been at Saints, overall he has disappointed in terms of goals scored or chances created. This isn't new, when he was get singled out by Guadiola and picked for England a few seasons back, I couldn't really understand what they could see.

And the other thing is that despite the length of time he's been at Saints imo he hasn't really improved significantly. For every game where he has truly impressed, there's an equal number where he has been disappointing.

There are too few Saints players at the moment who catch the eye in a positive way and too many who do so for the wrong reasons.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Stephens & Redmond on 10:30 - Mar 11 with 2459 viewskingslandstand1

Stephens & Redmond on 09:26 - Mar 11 by dirk_doone

One or two of our players seem to have lost their self-belief, which is understandable after the results they've had. A spell in the B team or out on loan would probably do Redmond a world of good. The problem is the games are coming so thick and fast this season and the squad is so severely reduced by injuries that any first first team squad player who is fit enough usually has to play. On a positive note, I thought Redmond looked a bit better in the Man City game than he has in other games recently.

You are absolutely right about him needing a goal. There were a couple of occasions in the City game where you could see he was thinking about shooting then decided not to because he was afraid of missing.

Can you imagine what it would be like for the likes of Stephens, Redmond and McCarthy if that was at SMS in front o 30k fans having a go at them

It's gonna be interesting to see how the players react when fans are allowed back in
Stephens & Redmond on 10:31 - Mar 11 with 2459 viewswemarch

Agree that Redmond shouldn't be a bad player but ATM he is especially this season. I saw every game Saints played as well and this is the first time I mention his name as below par player. He had great moments before this season but that's it. I remembered seeing him scored a long shot goal against Saints at Norwich and thought this is his land mark when we got him. But I can only recall him showed this ability in a handful times at Saints. Definitely not improving as a prospect player, and you can see him had this weird attitude on the pitch, talking, speaking too much rather than putting his action in words with 110% effort every time he got a chance! Maybe he doesn't feel paid enough or putting his attention on his fancy cars! One won't improve if he doesn't want to, hard for others to change and motivate!
Stephens & Redmond on 11:22 - Mar 11 with 2413 viewsButty101

Stephens & Redmond on 09:40 - Mar 11 by GasGiant

I don't know why Salisu gets a free pass when everyone jumps on Jack Stephens back at the drop of a hat. I've seen Salisu dawdle and be robbed of posession more than Stephens when playing in the same position and not a word of criticism. Two goals last night were down to him. All I learned last night is that Stephens is not suited to the midfield role - or at least he isn't used to it.

Couldnt agree more, Salisu so far made mistakes in every game he has played. Sloppy passing, playing people onside when everyone else has moved up and getting embarrassingly battered by Dominic Calvin Lewin.

He is also def is not a left back.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2021 13:13]

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Stephens & Redmond on 12:29 - Mar 11 with 2367 viewsBerber

Stephens & Redmond on 11:22 - Mar 11 by Butty101

Couldnt agree more, Salisu so far made mistakes in every game he has played. Sloppy passing, playing people onside when everyone else has moved up and getting embarrassingly battered by Dominic Calvin Lewin.

He is also def is not a left back.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2021 13:13]

I agree, Salisu is still not up to speed in his thinking and too easily turned as LB. I think he probably has the edge on Stephens, both as FB and CB. Tough for Stephens last night, playing a very different role in a mixed up defence.
Stephens & Redmond on 14:36 - Mar 20 with 2133 viewscynicalsaint

Stephens & Redmond on 22:57 - Mar 10 by hedgeend61

Not at all.

I think we can all agree Redmond was unplayable today - sublime assist and two clinical finishes. Not a defence in the world that could have lived with what he had on show.

It's been obvious (to anyone who's watched him or knows anything about football) that over the last few weeks he's been getting back to his best.

Strap in because the next few appearances could be even more memorable.

As i said, let's enjoy him while he's here. I'm sure Klopp, Mourhino, Tuchel etc will have been watching today and it's only a matter of time before one of them makes the first move.
Stephens & Redmond on 14:40 - Mar 20 with 2120 views1885_SFC

Stephens & Redmond on 14:36 - Mar 20 by cynicalsaint

Not at all.

I think we can all agree Redmond was unplayable today - sublime assist and two clinical finishes. Not a defence in the world that could have lived with what he had on show.

It's been obvious (to anyone who's watched him or knows anything about football) that over the last few weeks he's been getting back to his best.

As i said, let's enjoy him while he's here. I'm sure Klopp, Mourhino, Tuchel etc will have been watching today and it's only a matter of time before one of them makes the first move.

Old School is Cool

Stephens & Redmond on 15:30 - Mar 20 with 2047 viewshedgeend61

Stephens & Redmond on 14:36 - Mar 20 by cynicalsaint

Not at all.

"Not a defence in the world that could have lived with what he had on show". Really?

He played well today against an average Championship side missing 7 of their better players, so has he found his level?, or can he do it now in the big league against the big teams?26 goals in 227 PL games suggests maybe not, but we'll wait.

If you honestly think Klopp, Mourhino, Touchel, maybe even Pep, Ole et al will EVER make a move, you must believe in Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy.

He doesn't make our first eleven when everyones fit.
Stephens & Redmond on 19:09 - Mar 20 with 1945 viewsBicester_North

Cynical Saint is getting the whooshes here

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024