Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'Common Sense' 08:28 - May 12 with 1850 viewsBoris_

Good to see the government ramming that slogan down all the dimwits throats the last couple of days and in all of their interviews this morning.

The question is, are the tory-haters thick, or just playing dumb?

Poll: Claude Puel

'Common Sense' on 09:23 - May 12 with 532 viewssaint68

'Common Sense' on 09:05 - May 12 by Occasional_Showers

People were packed onto tube trains yesterday going to work when they weren’t supposed to go to work until Wednesday following the releases of agreed safety measures which won’t be ready until some day soon.

They’ve had fookin 6 weeks to get everything ready for this point but nobody from the Prime Minister to the Foreign secretary has got a clue what anybody is supposed to be doing. Nothing has been thought about or planned. It’s an absolute mess.

So I watched the announcement on sunday and took from it that I could resume work from Wednesday if certain safety aspects were in place...i also took from that announcement that public transport should be avoided .

So yesterday morning I contacted all the sub contractors I work with and not one of them was confused at what was allowed. Unfortunately my client is not prepared to undertake any new works until mid june as they are extremely cautious.

A 50 page document was issued yesterday morning to advise the public of the pathway out of lockdown.

Boris Johnson wasn't great with his oration on Sunday but the message got through to everyone I know.

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

'Common Sense' on 09:34 - May 12 with 503 viewsPatfromPoole

I do have sympathy with the Cabinet.

They have been under scrutiny and pressure like we have not seen before in our lifetime, and with so much at stake.

Imagine they are working insane hours against a backdrop changing by the day.

I have little time for most politicians, they are almost all in it for the power trip. But I don’t envy them now.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

'Common Sense' on 09:35 - May 12 with 497 viewsOccasional_Showers

'Common Sense' on 09:23 - May 12 by saint68

So I watched the announcement on sunday and took from it that I could resume work from Wednesday if certain safety aspects were in place...i also took from that announcement that public transport should be avoided .

So yesterday morning I contacted all the sub contractors I work with and not one of them was confused at what was allowed. Unfortunately my client is not prepared to undertake any new works until mid june as they are extremely cautious.

A 50 page document was issued yesterday morning to advise the public of the pathway out of lockdown.

Boris Johnson wasn't great with his oration on Sunday but the message got through to everyone I know.

“Certain safety aspects”

The government have had weeks to meet with unions and experts to provide clear guidance. Have you seen that guidance?

The reason you’re not working is because your client is waiting on the government to issue them with guidance. No director of a large business is going to push that start up button until they know their neck isn’t on the line.
[Post edited 12 May 2020 9:38]

Poll: Did you break any lockdown rules?

'Common Sense' on 09:36 - May 12 with 497 viewsSadoldgit

Bottom line. Irrespective of whatever your personal politics are, in the event of national/international emergencies you want and expect the governing body to be competent, have a handle on things and to pass a level of confidence to the people that they are in safe hands. When 3/4 of the Union don’t have that confidence in the central government to the extent that they have gone their own way, why should the rest of us have confidence that our way is the best?

As for relying on common sense, if you have been to a supermarket in the last 7 weeks or seen the news reports from parks and beaches, it is clear that there is an element of Darwinism at play and a section of society need to be policed into doing the right thing. It only takes one superspreader to cause havoc (just look at the number of colleagues that Johnson infected, including his pregnant wife).
'Common Sense' on 09:39 - May 12 with 476 viewsDorsetIan

'Common Sense' on 09:35 - May 12 by Occasional_Showers

“Certain safety aspects”

The government have had weeks to meet with unions and experts to provide clear guidance. Have you seen that guidance?

The reason you’re not working is because your client is waiting on the government to issue them with guidance. No director of a large business is going to push that start up button until they know their neck isn’t on the line.

Good morning OS.

I have to confess to being a little worried about you...have you banged your head at all?

I am all in favour of damascene conversions, but to see Boris lose one of his most ardent supporters is a little unsettling.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

'Common Sense' on 09:41 - May 12 with 476 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

'Common Sense' on 09:34 - May 12 by PatfromPoole

I do have sympathy with the Cabinet.

They have been under scrutiny and pressure like we have not seen before in our lifetime, and with so much at stake.

Imagine they are working insane hours against a backdrop changing by the day.

I have little time for most politicians, they are almost all in it for the power trip. But I don’t envy them now.

I would agree with this too. Let's be honest (and I will avoid using the word unprecedented) these are very unique and challenging times for EVERYONE.

A little understanding and leeway is required. The media have been atrocious in how they've handled this and I have no doubt that the cabinet and those surrounding them are working 50 hour days to try to get the best outcome.

What's clear now is that they're trying to help the economy somewhat, which is where I disagree - the economy will recover, a few more months of this will not make a difference. They are trying to ease things too quickly, therefore treating sections of the public like guinea pigs and sadly, many many of the UK population are thick as sh*t with no common sense.

How can schools have 15 per class? Where is the room coming from?

My office (a WeWork office) will never be fit for return to work. The whole WeWork proposition does not work in its current form. More office space is required, more school space is required - these things take time.

My hope is that companies start to see the value of regional offices again rather than forcing everyone to travel to London. I have no idea about schools unless we go back to using temp cabins again ...

But yes, I do feel some sympathy for how the cabinet have been treated, it can't be an easy job. Especially with all the opinions being thrown at you to consolidate - how do you know what and who is right? It's new for EVERYONE.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

'Common Sense' on 09:42 - May 12 with 472 viewssaint22

'Common Sense' on 09:36 - May 12 by Sadoldgit

Bottom line. Irrespective of whatever your personal politics are, in the event of national/international emergencies you want and expect the governing body to be competent, have a handle on things and to pass a level of confidence to the people that they are in safe hands. When 3/4 of the Union don’t have that confidence in the central government to the extent that they have gone their own way, why should the rest of us have confidence that our way is the best?

As for relying on common sense, if you have been to a supermarket in the last 7 weeks or seen the news reports from parks and beaches, it is clear that there is an element of Darwinism at play and a section of society need to be policed into doing the right thing. It only takes one superspreader to cause havoc (just look at the number of colleagues that Johnson infected, including his pregnant wife).

This

Plus you would like to see some 'common sense' emanate from those said leaders of which there is little

"I shook hands with everyone" copyright BoJo March 20

then infected with COVID the dipsh1t
'Common Sense' on 09:44 - May 12 with 460 viewsOccasional_Showers

'Common Sense' on 09:42 - May 12 by saint22

This

Plus you would like to see some 'common sense' emanate from those said leaders of which there is little

"I shook hands with everyone" copyright BoJo March 20

then infected with COVID the dipsh1t

Brilliant. How do you manage to keep it up?

Login to get fewer ads

'Common Sense' on 09:46 - May 12 with 461 viewsRon11

'Common Sense' on 09:10 - May 12 by Occasional_Showers

Blair was intelligent, Thatcher had an intelligent cabinet.

Where is the Home Secretary?

Blair was intelligent?
Blair opened the door to millions who should not be here, with the resultant overload on the NHS, schools, housing, roads and the general infrastructure of this country.
Then he involved this country in an illegal war in Iraq based on lies about 'weapons of mass destruction' (which he says he actually believed) making us a high priority target for retaliation with resultant loss of lives in Manchester, London resulting massively higher pressure on the security services.
And carried out these acts without asking us.
It's noticeable how this country has gone down hill since 1997.
'Common Sense' on 09:48 - May 12 with 456 viewssaint68

'Common Sense' on 09:35 - May 12 by Occasional_Showers

“Certain safety aspects”

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/factories

This is currently all I have received.

'Common Sense' on 09:49 - May 12 with 455 viewsBoris_

'Common Sense' on 09:20 - May 12 by Occasional_Showers

OK Boris, as a BUSINESSMAN you were told to get your staff back in on Monday (clarified to mean Wednesday) have you received any guidance on what you need to do as an employer to protect your staff? Bearing in mind you could be up in court for corporate manslaughter if you don’t do things correctly.

I used my ‘common sense’ ain’t going to get you off when you’re in court trying to explain why your employees died.
[Post edited 12 May 2020 9:22]

I always saw it as meaning Wednesday. I am not sure where Monday came from.

In any case, I am not bringing our furloughed staff back this week as I have structure return to work based on the government furlough scheme. I am bringing half back on June 1st and the other half back on July 1st.

The BUSINESS makes and sells merchandise for celebrities and Youtubers, so we are lucky that they are generally one-off launches so we have just moved the launch dates back a bit. We're also fortunate ( if allowed to use that word ) that this has come about in our quietest 2 months of the year when normally staff would be sat around with little to do. If this had come about in November and December when 60% of our annual trade is done, we'd be f*cked.

As for the guidance on what we need to do as an employer, yes it is common sense, in exactly the same way the majority of Health and Safety policy and Risk Assessment is common sense.

Stagger start times.
Stagger breaks.
Reduce amount of work people have to do in a pair or more to a minimum.
Offer masks to staff.
Ensure sanitiser is readily available.
Encourage hygiene breaks.
Space out desks in office.

Etc etc - the goverment can give that sort of advice but every workplace is unique. We have over 500 sq ft per employee at our premises so keeping everyone at a distance from each other is much easier than many other BUSINESSES

But yeah, it's Common Sense.
[Post edited 12 May 2020 9:51]

'Common Sense' on 09:52 - May 12 with 447 viewssaint68

'Common Sense' on 09:36 - May 12 by Sadoldgit

The WHO have been appalling throughout the whole pandemic.

Our government has been less than fantastic.

Our media have been appalling

The only thing for sure is our nurses and doctors and all supply chain operatives along with care workers,bin men and utilities workers have responded admirably.

'Common Sense' on 09:57 - May 12 with 434 viewsRon11

'Common Sense' on 09:52 - May 12 by saint68

The WHO have been appalling throughout the whole pandemic.

Our government has been less than fantastic.

Our media have been appalling

The only thing for sure is our nurses and doctors and all supply chain operatives along with care workers,bin men and utilities workers have responded admirably.

Yes, real people living in the real world.
'Common Sense' on 09:57 - May 12 with 432 viewsOccasional_Showers

'Common Sense' on 09:49 - May 12 by Boris_

I always saw it as meaning Wednesday. I am not sure where Monday came from.

In any case, I am not bringing our furloughed staff back this week as I have structure return to work based on the government furlough scheme. I am bringing half back on June 1st and the other half back on July 1st.

The BUSINESS makes and sells merchandise for celebrities and Youtubers, so we are lucky that they are generally one-off launches so we have just moved the launch dates back a bit. We're also fortunate ( if allowed to use that word ) that this has come about in our quietest 2 months of the year when normally staff would be sat around with little to do. If this had come about in November and December when 60% of our annual trade is done, we'd be f*cked.

As for the guidance on what we need to do as an employer, yes it is common sense, in exactly the same way the majority of Health and Safety policy and Risk Assessment is common sense.

Stagger start times.
Stagger breaks.
Offer masks to staff.

Etc etc - the goverment can give that sort of advice but every workplace is unique. We have over 500 sq ft per employee at our premises so keeping everyone at a distance from each other is much easier than many other BUSINESSES

But yeah, it's Common Sense.
[Post edited 12 May 2020 9:51]

“As for the guidance on what we need to do as an employer, yes it is common sense, in exactly the same way the majority of Health and Safety policy and Risk Assessment is common sense.

Stagger start times.
Stagger breaks.
Offer masks to staff.

But yeah, it's Common Sense.”

That all sounds right and it probably will be right, and for you if it’s slightly wrong it might just mean moving a desk another 6 inches or nipping to Wilkos to buy some disinfectant wipes to sanitise keyboards with.

But put yourself in my CEO’s position. A multi billion pound business. Multiple sites. Multiple roles. Thousands of staff.

They need black and white guidance. And it’s not yet there and the prime minister has said “ get back to work”.

It’s a completely muddled shambles.

'Common Sense' on 09:58 - May 12 with 427 viewssaint68

'Common Sense' on 09:46 - May 12 by Ron11

Blair was intelligent?
Blair opened the door to millions who should not be here, with the resultant overload on the NHS, schools, housing, roads and the general infrastructure of this country.
Then he involved this country in an illegal war in Iraq based on lies about 'weapons of mass destruction' (which he says he actually believed) making us a high priority target for retaliation with resultant loss of lives in Manchester, London resulting massively higher pressure on the security services.
And carried out these acts without asking us.
It's noticeable how this country has gone down hill since 1997.

This.

'Common Sense' on 10:02 - May 12 with 417 viewsBoris_

That's the thing though, it's impossible for the government to give unique advice to every single BUSINESS out there. There can be some generic guidance ( of which I think there is already ) like:

Ensure staff at 2 metres apart wherever necessary.
Allow unlimited hygeine breaks
Stagger start times where possible.
Work from home where possible.

Etc but then for you specifically the 'common sense' part might be:

Ensure your truck is only used by you and sanitised every day.
Ensure vehicles are sanitised and covers used before loading and after loading.

Etc

It does always come back to common sense. If your workplace made you share and/or travel with a Drivers Mate in your cab for example, then I would say that would be negligent.

We also have to remember that this is a virus in the same way that flu is. There is always going to be a risk. It's about minimising it.

'Common Sense' on 10:03 - May 12 with 415 viewsgrumpy

'Common Sense' on 09:03 - May 12 by saint68

What's up Grumps?.....going stir crazy!!!

Get your fishing gear out of the shed tomorrow morning and go spend some quality time in the sunshine...it will do you the world of good fella.

Only if you let me use you as bait
'Common Sense' on 10:04 - May 12 with 414 viewsSadoldgit

The “Monday” came from Johnson’s speech on Sunday night.

Going back to common sense, for the best part of the last two months my local Tesco’s has had big signs up explaining the one way shopping system along the aisles and arrows on the floor showing which direction you need to go along each aisle. Up to last week there were still people walking down the aisles the wrong way and there is a staff member employed to point people in the right direction. If people can’t follow simple instructions, how do you expect them to follow instructions that involve the application of some common sense?
'Common Sense' on 10:08 - May 12 with 404 viewssaint68

'Common Sense' on 10:03 - May 12 by grumpy

Only if you let me use you as bait

Are you the master Baiter?...

What will we be catching?

'Common Sense' on 10:13 - May 12 with 401 viewssaint68

'Common Sense' on 10:04 - May 12 by Sadoldgit

The “Monday” came from Johnson’s speech on Sunday night.

Going back to common sense, for the best part of the last two months my local Tesco’s has had big signs up explaining the one way shopping system along the aisles and arrows on the floor showing which direction you need to go along each aisle. Up to last week there were still people walking down the aisles the wrong way and there is a staff member employed to point people in the right direction. If people can’t follow simple instructions, how do you expect them to follow instructions that involve the application of some common sense?

It is so annoying that these idiots cant even follow the clear signs in every aisle..there are some very dopey people out there.

'Common Sense' on 10:16 - May 12 with 397 viewsgrumpy

'Common Sense' on 10:08 - May 12 by saint68

Are you the master Baiter?...

What will we be catching?

Wellington Boots probably.
'Common Sense' on 10:26 - May 12 with 387 views1885_SFC

'Common Sense' on 10:13 - May 12 by saint68

It is so annoying that these idiots cant even follow the clear signs in every aisle..there are some very dopey people out there.

Maybe this is the answer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-52619568/coronavirus-robot-dog-enforces

Old School is Cool

'Common Sense' on 10:27 - May 12 with 384 viewssaint68

'Common Sense' on 10:16 - May 12 by grumpy

Wellington Boots probably.

Just Wellington boots?....bit kinky Grumps😂🤣😁

'Common Sense' on 10:29 - May 12 with 379 viewssaint68

'Common Sense' on 10:26 - May 12 by 1885_SFC

Maybe this is the answer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-52619568/coronavirus-robot-dog-enforces

It would be nicked by some chav and swapped for some drugs🤣😂

'Common Sense' on 10:33 - May 12 with 364 viewsOccasional_Showers

'Common Sense' on 10:02 - May 12 by Boris_

That's the thing though, it's impossible for the government to give unique advice to every single BUSINESS out there. There can be some generic guidance ( of which I think there is already ) like:

Ensure staff at 2 metres apart wherever necessary.
Allow unlimited hygeine breaks
Stagger start times where possible.
Work from home where possible.

Etc but then for you specifically the 'common sense' part might be:

Ensure your truck is only used by you and sanitised every day.
Ensure vehicles are sanitised and covers used before loading and after loading.

Etc

It does always come back to common sense. If your workplace made you share and/or travel with a Drivers Mate in your cab for example, then I would say that would be negligent.

We also have to remember that this is a virus in the same way that flu is. There is always going to be a risk. It's about minimising it.

sanitising cars isn’t going to happen. In an ideal environment I.E cars pulled in a line at Toyota they might think about it a bit more and because the cars are new they are at least clean to touch, but when picking up ex rentals from an airport hire car company they don’t even empty them of Mac Donald bags and coke cans. Then there’s trade In cars from dealers that are off to auction some of which stink like they’ve been used as dog kennels. The onus will be on me wearing blue gloves and hoping I don’t breathe in any residual corona.

As for covers used, just lol. New cars do come wrapped in either film or like zip up material if it’s a posh German import, but that stays on and the dealer takes that off.
[Post edited 12 May 2020 10:37]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024