Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First round of games - Thoughts? 07:44 - Jun 22 with 1377 viewssolent_toffee

Morning Saints, hope you all had a good weekend.

So what do you reckon to the restart then? I’ve enjoyed some of the games as a neutral, the City and Chelsea games were okay. Your second half was entertaining, mainly due to Norwich opting to not play with any defenders.

As a non-neutral, watching the game last night was hard going. Brought home to me how much I miss my mates, family, going match (all tied in). It’s just weird watching football in your own empty stadium. I also hate sky and their total devotion to the sh1te and Das Beaut.

Anyway, been for a run already, now for a dog walk, before All bran, tea and Radio 5L.
First round of games - Thoughts? on 08:03 - Jun 22 with 1361 viewsJaySaint

I enjoyed our 2nd half (obvs). Thought the Bournemouth/Palace and Brighton/Arsenal games were decent

However, can see the narrative being written. All about Pogba and Bruno Fernandez...the salivating from Tyler (i think it was) when Pogba came on was nauseating...

On another note, I think Sheff United will now drop away, unlucky at Villa (but still could not score, despite the hawkeye howler) but well beaten yesterday.

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

First round of games - Thoughts? on 08:23 - Jun 22 with 1333 viewsDorsetIan

I know it’s been said before but I’m struck by the loss of home advantage for the weaker teams. Terrible results for ?Norwich, Bournemouth and West Ham, and got to think they’ll all do worse than they would have done with fans - especially when it comes to the last 4 games or so, when fans involved in relegation dog fights tend to really get going.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

First round of games - Thoughts? on 08:58 - Jun 22 with 1282 viewsVagina_Dentata

Was quite apprehensive after how sterile and dull, Hawkeye failure aside, the opening game felt.
Really got into our game, found the fake crowd noise quite convincing, and by the end we’d performed well and deserved our win, so I can’t complain really on that front.

As you say though, it does fell a little empty due to forgoing everything else that comes with match day.

you can drink your weak lemon drink now.

First round of games - Thoughts? on 09:22 - Jun 22 with 1262 viewssaint22

Its exactly as I imagined, pretty dull and pointless. Very little to play for apart from the slight battle to stay up
It does seem lack of fans is eroding home advantage, lets see how that works out for us against the Arse, who'll have a half a team now
Seems to me only sky and the kloppites win tbh
First round of games - Thoughts? on 09:43 - Jun 22 with 1243 viewsSaintNick

Good points, I found tat if the result would affect Saints I could watch it hence with one eye over my shoulder I watched the Villa & Bournemouth games.

I have come to terms with the fact this season needs to be finished, yes some say it is all about money, but if it has ten this to make them realise it they must have had their head in the sand, rightly or wrongly this season had to be finished or it would see several clubs perhaps go to the wall, if Spurs havent got £35 million to put down on the table for Hojbjerg how would they find another £60 million on top of the 20 million they have to now to return to the TV companies if this season had been abandoned.

I havent missed football like ST it has all been about the social side of it.

I think you are being a bit biased saying that Sky are devoted to Liverpool, truth is they salivate over whoever is top of the league whether it is Man City, United, Chelsea or whoever, the rest of us just dont like it.

As for your game last night, Liverpool seemed to go at half pace, they know they have the title in the bag now that the season has restarted, they are not taking any chances in the run in, they are being patient, for long periods it looked like the game was designed to be a draw in case there was rioting on the streets, but Everton's late burst probably put paid to that rumour.

Personally I dont see why people get uptight with Klopp, I would rather have a manager who cares about the club and the community and shows a bit of passion than one like Mark Hughes or Sam Allardyce

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

First round of games - Thoughts? on 09:55 - Jun 22 with 1227 viewsSonicBoom

As we are restricted to TV it hasn't been too bad. The camera's don't pan into the stands so you don't really get the full effect of an empty stadium. If you have fake crowd noise on too then it really doesn't appear too bad. However if you switch crowd noise off then you suddenly realise how empty it is in reality.

I can't help but think Sheffield United are having their one good season like Burnley a few years ago. They don't have the quality of player and we know that gradually that catches up with you.
Solskjaer eulogising over Pogba yuk. This must be the 4th time that Pogba is coming back to save United but never does. If he is so good how come you picked Mctominay in front of him eh Ollie?

As for Saints I feared the worst at the start. Our defence is absolutely shite at times. Embarrassing. Our centre backs are so indecisive. So often Norwich lumped the ball forward and Stephens or Bednarek were under it with no one near them. A decent CB would take it on the chest or knee and play a simple pass, but both of them just volleyed it straight back to the opposition. Didn't have the confidence to control it. So poor from a professional.
But we gradually got confidence mostly from realising that Norwich as woeful and we took control. Thank good it was Norwich though. Hopefully it will give us confidence to kick on now.
First round of games - Thoughts? on 10:24 - Jun 22 with 1197 viewsInsideOut

Only watched bits and pieces of this weekends games other than Saints and the Merseyside derby. The latter was the only game that seemed to be played at an almost normal pace. I was very impressed with the Toffees defensively, wondered how come and then realised who your manager is (I'd forgotten). I bet you still can't believe your luck that someone as good as him is at your relatively small club with little prospect of playing in Europe.

Poll: WTF is a little pompey ?

First round of games - Thoughts? on 10:30 - Jun 22 with 1191 viewssolent_toffee

First round of games - Thoughts? on 09:43 - Jun 22 by SaintNick

Good points, I found tat if the result would affect Saints I could watch it hence with one eye over my shoulder I watched the Villa & Bournemouth games.

I have come to terms with the fact this season needs to be finished, yes some say it is all about money, but if it has ten this to make them realise it they must have had their head in the sand, rightly or wrongly this season had to be finished or it would see several clubs perhaps go to the wall, if Spurs havent got £35 million to put down on the table for Hojbjerg how would they find another £60 million on top of the 20 million they have to now to return to the TV companies if this season had been abandoned.

I havent missed football like ST it has all been about the social side of it.

I think you are being a bit biased saying that Sky are devoted to Liverpool, truth is they salivate over whoever is top of the league whether it is Man City, United, Chelsea or whoever, the rest of us just dont like it.

As for your game last night, Liverpool seemed to go at half pace, they know they have the title in the bag now that the season has restarted, they are not taking any chances in the run in, they are being patient, for long periods it looked like the game was designed to be a draw in case there was rioting on the streets, but Everton's late burst probably put paid to that rumour.

Personally I dont see why people get uptight with Klopp, I would rather have a manager who cares about the club and the community and shows a bit of passion than one like Mark Hughes or Sam Allardyce

I think we will have to agree to disagree about the bias towards Liverpool from SKY. Yes they do fawn all over the other big teams but not to the same level as that lot.

At the end of the first half, I got up to make a brew only to hear YNWA on the telly, first advert of the break, Sky playing that song as they advertised their game against Palace on Wednesday. Would any other club get the same treatment, not a chance.

It’s laughable to be honest.
Login to get fewer ads

First round of games - Thoughts? on 11:00 - Jun 22 with 1172 viewsSalisburySaint

First round of games - Thoughts? on 08:23 - Jun 22 by DorsetIan

I know it’s been said before but I’m struck by the loss of home advantage for the weaker teams. Terrible results for ?Norwich, Bournemouth and West Ham, and got to think they’ll all do worse than they would have done with fans - especially when it comes to the last 4 games or so, when fans involved in relegation dog fights tend to really get going.

Most annoying thing I found was return of big team bias.

Worst case of this was in Brighton game, where commentator was going on about Eddie Nketiah, who is yet to score a premier league goal but who the commentator thought should be considered for England euro 2021 squad, Cant imagine him saying the same about Che Adams
First round of games - Thoughts? on 11:46 - Jun 22 with 1131 viewsTimSaint

First round of games - Thoughts? on 09:55 - Jun 22 by SonicBoom

As we are restricted to TV it hasn't been too bad. The camera's don't pan into the stands so you don't really get the full effect of an empty stadium. If you have fake crowd noise on too then it really doesn't appear too bad. However if you switch crowd noise off then you suddenly realise how empty it is in reality.

I can't help but think Sheffield United are having their one good season like Burnley a few years ago. They don't have the quality of player and we know that gradually that catches up with you.
Solskjaer eulogising over Pogba yuk. This must be the 4th time that Pogba is coming back to save United but never does. If he is so good how come you picked Mctominay in front of him eh Ollie?

As for Saints I feared the worst at the start. Our defence is absolutely shite at times. Embarrassing. Our centre backs are so indecisive. So often Norwich lumped the ball forward and Stephens or Bednarek were under it with no one near them. A decent CB would take it on the chest or knee and play a simple pass, but both of them just volleyed it straight back to the opposition. Didn't have the confidence to control it. So poor from a professional.
But we gradually got confidence mostly from realising that Norwich as woeful and we took control. Thank good it was Norwich though. Hopefully it will give us confidence to kick on now.

The bit you mentioned about our CBs just volleying it straight back instead of bringing it down and passing.
A friend I was watching the game with (at social distance) mentioned this as well, but I said to him that it was actually an improvement. In the past when they have tried to control the ball and pass, they have either fvcked up the control part and let teams in, or controlled it and the pass is wayward and it lets teams in. Our defence is renowned for it and teams wait for us to make mistakes in order to punish us. (Valery v Newcastle in our last home game, being the most recent example).
RH has perhaps finally realised the limited abilities of what he has to work with defensively and has told them to adopt a safety first attitude, until he is allowed to bring in his own defensive choices / signings in the summer window. So for me to see them hoof it clear or put it in the stand every so often, it was actually quite good, as it wasn't putting us under unnecessary pressure !!

TimSaint

First round of games - Thoughts? on 12:23 - Jun 22 with 1110 viewssolent_toffee

First round of games - Thoughts? on 10:24 - Jun 22 by InsideOut

Only watched bits and pieces of this weekends games other than Saints and the Merseyside derby. The latter was the only game that seemed to be played at an almost normal pace. I was very impressed with the Toffees defensively, wondered how come and then realised who your manager is (I'd forgotten). I bet you still can't believe your luck that someone as good as him is at your relatively small club with little prospect of playing in Europe.

I still can’t believe Everton have got Ancelotti as manager, it makes such a refreshing change though having brought in previous managers like Koeman and Silva who weren’t up to the job yet were given a fortune which they by and large wasted, especially Koeman.

Getting a proper, successful manager in should always have been Moshiri’s aim if he wants to meet his ambitions for the club.
First round of games - Thoughts? on 12:27 - Jun 22 with 1106 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

As I already said, I really enjoyed the Saints match - far more than I expected to, the crowd sound was good and helped and I'm probably biased because Saints won, so it was good all round.

I tried watching a couple of other matches, but I found I had even less interest in them than I would've done before. I think THAT is where I missed the crowd interaction a bit more.

So yes, Saints on TV = lovely, crowd sound, it works, I enjoyed it.
Non-Saints matches I'll be giving those a miss. That way I also avoid the media circus around the "big 6" and can live in a Saints bubble.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

First round of games - Thoughts? on 16:34 - Jun 22 with 1016 viewsdirk_doone

First round of games - Thoughts? on 12:27 - Jun 22 by Gennaro_Contaldo

As I already said, I really enjoyed the Saints match - far more than I expected to, the crowd sound was good and helped and I'm probably biased because Saints won, so it was good all round.

I tried watching a couple of other matches, but I found I had even less interest in them than I would've done before. I think THAT is where I missed the crowd interaction a bit more.

So yes, Saints on TV = lovely, crowd sound, it works, I enjoyed it.
Non-Saints matches I'll be giving those a miss. That way I also avoid the media circus around the "big 6" and can live in a Saints bubble.

That pretty much sums up how I feel too.

After all the hype, it turned out to be the most boring Merseyside derby I've ever seen. The only game that really held my attention was the Saints game.

Is it my imagination or are players really running more slowly and putting in less effort than usual?

If they carry on playing in empty stadiums much longer, they are going to put people off watching football. I wonder what the viewing figures are like? Whatever they are, they are going to decrease rapidly.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

First round of games - Thoughts? on 16:39 - Jun 22 with 1006 viewsBuggalugs

First round of games - Thoughts? on 16:34 - Jun 22 by dirk_doone

That pretty much sums up how I feel too.

After all the hype, it turned out to be the most boring Merseyside derby I've ever seen. The only game that really held my attention was the Saints game.

Is it my imagination or are players really running more slowly and putting in less effort than usual?

If they carry on playing in empty stadiums much longer, they are going to put people off watching football. I wonder what the viewing figures are like? Whatever they are, they are going to decrease rapidly.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8446901/amp/Merseyside-derby-

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

First round of games - Thoughts? on 17:04 - Jun 22 with 992 viewsdirk_doone

First round of games - Thoughts? on 16:39 - Jun 22 by Buggalugs

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8446901/amp/Merseyside-derby-

Thanks. Watching that match will have turned a lot of people off.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024