Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This Summer 09:54 - Jun 23 with 1828 viewssolent_toffee

What’s everyone’s revised plans? Is anyone still thinking about going abroad?

Days out to the forest and coast for me, hoping to spend time up north and then host friends and family in the beautiful south. Booked a couple of national trust weekends in November as my actual holidays, was hoping to September but everything seems to be booked up.

This Summer on 10:49 - Jun 23 with 1797 viewsWints76

I have my allocated leave for 2 weeks at the end of July and meant to be going to Turkey. Can't see that happening, but if we are allowed to Spain or Greece or anywhere then I will be there. I would happily sit by a pool reading for 2 weeks at the moment.

If we can't do that, may go up North for a few days and travel round there. Like Ricky Tomlinson and Ralf Little
This Summer on 11:01 - Jun 23 with 1788 viewsSalisburySaint

I’ve got a week planned for trip to Lisbon and then on to Ayamonte in Spain at mates Villa first week in September all flights booked and paid for, and will go if quarantine on return lifted by then.

Also been invited down to mates caravan in West Wittering for weekend once people allowed to stay overnight.

Also hope to get to France in August to stay with my bother at his house in countryside miles away from any people.

Just have to wait and see how it goes, but plenty of leave available after missing planned trip to Italy now, should have been in Naples today.
This Summer on 12:22 - Jun 23 with 1744 viewssolent_toffee

This Summer on 10:49 - Jun 23 by Wints76

I have my allocated leave for 2 weeks at the end of July and meant to be going to Turkey. Can't see that happening, but if we are allowed to Spain or Greece or anywhere then I will be there. I would happily sit by a pool reading for 2 weeks at the moment.

If we can't do that, may go up North for a few days and travel round there. Like Ricky Tomlinson and Ralf Little

Go to Barcelona, I imagine you’d get a good deal at the moment.

I haven’t seen that programme, quite like Ralf Little, but can’t abide Ricky Tomlinson.
This Summer on 12:40 - Jun 23 with 1724 viewsWints76

Was thinking about Calella and then getting train deon to Barcelona, or Salou and getting the train up. Salou could be good if Portaventura is open as youngest lad hasn't been there since he has been old enough to appreciate it. To be honest though, I have worked so much lately that doing nothing sounds really appealing

What puts you off Professional Kopite Tomlinson? I think Ralf Little comes across as a really top bloke. I was worried for Tomlinson watching the series as he is no spring chicken
This Summer on 12:48 - Jun 23 with 1715 viewsTripleNiemi

No holidays abroad for me at all this year for definate. Even when boozers and restaurants open their doors i won't be anywhere near them, inside or out. I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing parts of the New Forest i hadn't seen in donkeys years. The dog has never been so thoroughly walked. If i can this year i might consider tackling maybe Ben Nevis or Scalfel but i will be seriously wary.

As we speak Boris has said that he is going to open up pub type establishments and rely on the good commonsense of of the British people.....dear god, we could be screwed based on recent events!

Social distancing for me remains i think. Back to work in September (office) but i will be putting in to work from home for as long as possible.

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

This Summer on 13:04 - Jun 23 with 1693 viewsDorsetIan

I'm quite keen to get away. Need a change of scene. But wife and kids won't hear of it. Could maybe get them on a road trip via Eurotunnel but they won't fly.

I've got a writing project that needs to be done by first August. Friend of mine's family has a small hotel/hostel in a forest in Lithuania - I'd like to think that I might go there for a bit to get that done, but probably won't!...

Can't complain though. There are worse places than West Dorset in the summer months.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

This Summer on 13:15 - Jun 23 with 1685 viewsBison

This Summer on 13:04 - Jun 23 by DorsetIan

I'm quite keen to get away. Need a change of scene. But wife and kids won't hear of it. Could maybe get them on a road trip via Eurotunnel but they won't fly.

I've got a writing project that needs to be done by first August. Friend of mine's family has a small hotel/hostel in a forest in Lithuania - I'd like to think that I might go there for a bit to get that done, but probably won't!...

Can't complain though. There are worse places than West Dorset in the summer months.

I think The Forest and South Coast are going to be very busy this summer we have several friends from up North who are planning visits. I must admit I don't fancy the idea of travelling abroad just in case something like an outbreak occurs in the resort or place you are staying and you get stranded or isolated. We've had a cruise and a trip to Limerick cancelled so far.

I'd be more than happy with 2 weeks off in the summer with visitors coming down and helping the local publicans get back on their feet. My son is a trainee chef in a local hotel ( Woodlands Lodge ) which I would recommend if you like walks in the forest and visiting old fashioned boozers And they are dog friendly. ( no fee was taken for this blatant bit of advertising despite the owner being from Portsmouth )

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

This Summer on 14:05 - Jun 23 with 1650 viewsTimSaint

I've had vets football tours to Romania (Brasov) and Germany (not far from Dortmund) cancelled this summer, as well as trips to Slovakia and Portugal.

During lock down, I spent some time planning a few UK trips, mainly just the places I wanted to visit, walks to do and routes/roads to take - as was not sure if/when the hotels would re-open, so even considered taking the tent.

Dorset Coast - lovely scenery, walks and places of interest, but have the feeling that it will be extremely busy and is therefore on the back burner.

Brecon Beacons - again, scenery, walks and places of interest, but hopefully less people as there is no coastline to attract people.

Scotland - looking being based around Fort William. Loads to see and do, plenty of hiking and would do Ben Nevis (done Snowdon and Skafel Pike already).

Depending on the different country policies regarding travelling through, quarantine etc, we are considering a road trip to Slovakia in late August or early September. Not even
budget airlines fly there at the moment, but I'm not convinced about doing this at the moment.

We have friends in Reykjavik that suggested we visit them. We will look into it in more detail, but not sure if I fancy flying (3 hours) just yet. 1 of them works in tourism and said that we should go there as soon as it is safe, as no tourists are there, hotels have virtually no bookings and everything we go to see will be as nature intended, with no people - perfect !! We shall see - but be good to go there before it starts getting colder and darker !!

TimSaint

Login to get fewer ads

This Summer on 14:11 - Jun 23 with 1643 viewssolent_toffee

This Summer on 12:40 - Jun 23 by Wints76

Was thinking about Calella and then getting train deon to Barcelona, or Salou and getting the train up. Salou could be good if Portaventura is open as youngest lad hasn't been there since he has been old enough to appreciate it. To be honest though, I have worked so much lately that doing nothing sounds really appealing

What puts you off Professional Kopite Tomlinson? I think Ralf Little comes across as a really top bloke. I was worried for Tomlinson watching the series as he is no spring chicken

My brother used to rent house from Tomlinson when I was about 16. He even had his wedding reception in one of his clubs. He was dead sound to us to be fair, had a pint with him, played pool and that, but let’s just say he was more rogue than loveable! This was post Brookside/pre Royle Family.
This Summer on 14:35 - Jun 23 with 1632 viewssolent_toffee

This Summer on 13:15 - Jun 23 by Bison

I think The Forest and South Coast are going to be very busy this summer we have several friends from up North who are planning visits. I must admit I don't fancy the idea of travelling abroad just in case something like an outbreak occurs in the resort or place you are staying and you get stranded or isolated. We've had a cruise and a trip to Limerick cancelled so far.

I'd be more than happy with 2 weeks off in the summer with visitors coming down and helping the local publicans get back on their feet. My son is a trainee chef in a local hotel ( Woodlands Lodge ) which I would recommend if you like walks in the forest and visiting old fashioned boozers And they are dog friendly. ( no fee was taken for this blatant bit of advertising despite the owner being from Portsmouth )

I think I will be inundated with family and friends coming down this summer. I always get a few but think there will be more this year, suits me I enjoy showing people around here.

Got a nice little pub crawl too, Linden Tree, Fox and Hounds, The Vine, Jolly Sailor then water taxi to Hamble for The Bugle, Victory and White Horse, completely unchallenged.
This Summer on 14:44 - Jun 23 with 1625 viewsdirk_doone

This Summer on 14:35 - Jun 23 by solent_toffee

I think I will be inundated with family and friends coming down this summer. I always get a few but think there will be more this year, suits me I enjoy showing people around here.

Got a nice little pub crawl too, Linden Tree, Fox and Hounds, The Vine, Jolly Sailor then water taxi to Hamble for The Bugle, Victory and White Horse, completely unchallenged.

When I was a boy, the Fox & Hounds was still selling clay pipes. That was long before the Lone Barn was relocated there from its original site near Winchester.

Have you tried The Old Ship?

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

This Summer on 14:54 - Jun 23 with 1610 views1teeminants

I Will definitely take a holiday in this country this summer when things open up probably Lake District or somewhere quiet .I will avoid Cornwall or Devon I think as it will be manic .I may even get my tent out ffs . As soon as I can get a flight somewhere nice abroad I’ll be on it with my new lady friend 😎.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

This Summer on 14:56 - Jun 23 with 1603 viewsJaySaint

stay-cation for me....

thinking of investing in a nice tent and the gear to go with it. Something that can cater for me, the missus and dogs.....(nil kids)

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

This Summer on 15:36 - Jun 23 with 1581 viewssolent_toffee

This Summer on 14:56 - Jun 23 by JaySaint

stay-cation for me....

thinking of investing in a nice tent and the gear to go with it. Something that can cater for me, the missus and dogs.....(nil kids)

This is the one I’ve got, it’s dead easy to put up, loads of space, can stand up in it and even has a carpet.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15906210/vango-icarus-air-vista-500-5-person-tent-1
This Summer on 15:38 - Jun 23 with 1572 viewsSadoldgit

This Summer on 13:04 - Jun 23 by DorsetIan

I haven’t been to Dorset for years but had some lovely trips down there in the 80’s. I used to stay in a pub in Toller
Pocorum (not sure if I spelt that right?) but I think it may be shut now. Would love to go back that way soon. We still haven’t had a honeymoon yet despite being married nearly 6 years. Mrs SOG wants to go whale watching. We have an old work colleague who lives on New Zealand’s South Island and has invited us to stay, so that is a possibility once Covid buggers off.
This Summer on 17:28 - Jun 23 with 1540 viewskingslandstand1

This Summer on 15:36 - Jun 23 by solent_toffee

This is the one I’ve got, it’s dead easy to put up, loads of space, can stand up in it and even has a carpet.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15906210/vango-icarus-air-vista-500-5-person-tent-1

Carpet????? In a tent!!!! No wonder Lord Baden-Powell is turning in his grave
This Summer on 19:01 - Jun 23 with 1495 viewscocklebreath

Already had a week booked in Falmouth, still going but reckon it will be rammed when we go last week July. Had a week in Cyprus booked in August but gonna forget that, will try to book an air b&b with another family anywhere by the sea, looked last week and the prices have gone through the roof, will probably still pay it as the other option is a tent, fook that. The idea of setting up tent in a field with a load of gimps doesn’t appeal, wild camping maybe.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

This Summer on 19:55 - Jun 23 with 1455 viewsBicester_North

This Summer on 19:01 - Jun 23 by cocklebreath

Already had a week booked in Falmouth, still going but reckon it will be rammed when we go last week July. Had a week in Cyprus booked in August but gonna forget that, will try to book an air b&b with another family anywhere by the sea, looked last week and the prices have gone through the roof, will probably still pay it as the other option is a tent, fook that. The idea of setting up tent in a field with a load of gimps doesn’t appeal, wild camping maybe.

This summer is all about finding somewhere quiet and staying away from mass gimp invasions

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

This Summer on 20:13 - Jun 23 with 1434 viewsHappy_Jack

This Summer on 14:44 - Jun 23 by dirk_doone

When I was a boy, the Fox & Hounds was still selling clay pipes. That was long before the Lone Barn was relocated there from its original site near Winchester.

The Old Ship was a great little pub but haven't been in there for 30 years or so. They had a little restaurant downstairs from the bar and the food was lovely. Is it still going strong Dirk? The Bold Forester was another decent pub over that way as was the Lone Barn

Millbrook Furnishing shop floor level banter
Poll: Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been?

This Summer on 22:27 - Jun 23 with 1380 viewsdirk_doone

This Summer on 20:13 - Jun 23 by Happy_Jack

The Old Ship was a great little pub but haven't been in there for 30 years or so. They had a little restaurant downstairs from the bar and the food was lovely. Is it still going strong Dirk? The Bold Forester was another decent pub over that way as was the Lone Barn

Yes, The Old Ship is another old pub in a sixteenth century building, like the Fox & Hounds. Obviously it's closed at the moment but the Old Ship has always been one of my favourite pubs in the area and it's always served excellent ale. It was a Gales pub but Gales got taken over by Fuller's in 2005 and its Horndean brewery was closed down so it serves London brewed ales rather than Hampshire ones now, as well as guest ales. There is still Gales HSB, of course. It attracts a few more workers and salty dogs from the boatyards, as opposed to the Jolly Sailor which caters more for the Howards' Way set. The other problem with the Jolly Sailor, of course, is the lack of space: the bars are tiny .

The Lone Barn was added to the Fox & Hounds in 1974 from its original location in Winchester (I still think of it as a new addition). The Lone Barn is one of the best places in the Bursledon area for pub food. I often take visitors there. I can remember the days when the only food you could get in the Fox & Hounds was bread and cheese. Jack Hargreaves and other celebrities from Southern TV still used to visit it though.

The Bold Forester is a regular roadside pub with lots of space, both inside and out, which looks much like many others. It serves standard pub food and attracts the locals from Sarisbury Green but it's not the sort of pub you'd travel far to. It is more of a local than the others.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2020 22:33]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

This Summer on 22:51 - Jun 23 with 1347 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

This Summer on 19:01 - Jun 23 by cocklebreath

We've moved our Cyprus villa to 2021 - no issues. Will give this summer a miss and spend it seeing family that we haven't seen since Feb (both sets of parents live a way away).

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

This Summer on 22:56 - Jun 23 with 1342 viewskernow

Europe, without let or hinderance, whilst it's still possible.
This Summer on 09:25 - Jun 24 with 1256 viewsBoris_

Was supposed to be getting married on July 4th.

Going to enjoy a few local breaks in the UK now. I've travelled so much over the past few years that it's actually quite nice not to be on a plane.

Cornwall and Lake District are the main places we'll head and take the dog with us.

Poll: Claude Puel

This Summer on 09:57 - Jun 24 with 1246 viewsBuggalugs

Had a cruise to the fjords cancelled for August, so am just looking to book a cottage in the Yorkshire Dales instead which is the prefect base to visit friends and family. Have already booked a cottage in Pembrokeshire over Christmas. Might look at doing a Euro city break in October, but will play that by ear.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

This Summer on 11:29 - Jun 24 with 1227 viewssolent_toffee

This Summer on 14:44 - Jun 23 by dirk_doone

Not yet, haven’t really ventured over the other side of the water, but add it to the pub crawl, thanks for the heads up!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024