Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Walcott 17:03 - Feb 22 with 2069 viewsTimSaint

Theo has not played for us since his injury against Villa, which was 5 games ago, plus he will no doubt miss Leeds tomorrow and is then ineligible to play against parent club Everton.

It begs the question, how much longer is he going to be out for and how many more games is he going to miss due to this injury ?

Just playing Devil's Advocate.....

I know there is at least 14 games left to play, but if he is going to miss a large chunk of them, would it be better all round if we return him to Everton, saving us wages and loan fees ? Or is it worth keeping him in the hope that he can take part in at least half of those games ?

I like him and do believe he has had a positive affect on the club since joining us and hope he plays again soon, but just wondered if he really is worth keeping if he is going to be out for too long ?

It could also be argued that if we knew he was going to miss lots of games when he first got injured, why didn't we return him back then and get someone else in on loan whilst the window was open ?

TimSaint

Walcott on 17:19 - Feb 22 with 2035 viewsRon11

Keep him. It doesn't look as though he'll get a look in back at Everton.
Walcott on 17:19 - Feb 22 with 2035 viewssolent_toffee

Woah, woah, woah, no backsies.

Saints signed a contract to take him for a year, you can’t just send him back because he’s injured. It doesn’t work like that.

Who’d have thought it though, Walcott being injured.
Walcott on 17:29 - Feb 22 with 2020 viewsdirk_doone

Meanwhile, how the hell did West Ham manage to get a player as good as Jesse Lingard on loan froma team they are competing with for a Champions League place???

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Walcott on 17:43 - Feb 22 with 2000 viewskingslandstand1

Walcott on 17:29 - Feb 22 by dirk_doone

Meanwhile, how the hell did West Ham manage to get a player as good as Jesse Lingard on loan froma team they are competing with for a Champions League place???

££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££
Walcott on 17:46 - Feb 22 with 1997 viewsSaintsforeverj

Money - West Ham are ambitious and don't squabble over a few quid. They know that Lingard will get the goals which will result in West Ham finishing higher up the league and the loan fee will be paid for in league positions. And if they get in the champions league, West Ham will make more money. The investment will make the club money.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Walcott on 17:51 - Feb 22 with 1989 viewsDorsetIan

Walcott on 17:46 - Feb 22 by Saintsforeverj

Money - West Ham are ambitious and don't squabble over a few quid. They know that Lingard will get the goals which will result in West Ham finishing higher up the league and the loan fee will be paid for in league positions. And if they get in the champions league, West Ham will make more money. The investment will make the club money.

What a ridiculous way to run a football club!

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Walcott on 17:57 - Feb 22 with 1985 viewssolent_toffee

TBF I’m sure someone put on here that Saints should try to get him and got hammered. Same on the Everton site when it was suggested that he sign for them. Moyes is at his best when he is being canny, very good signing as was Dawson. Both typical Moyes signings.
Walcott on 18:08 - Feb 22 with 1974 viewskingslandstand1

Walcott on 17:57 - Feb 22 by solent_toffee

TBF I’m sure someone put on here that Saints should try to get him and got hammered. Same on the Everton site when it was suggested that he sign for them. Moyes is at his best when he is being canny, very good signing as was Dawson. Both typical Moyes signings.

Tbf, I think the "hammering" was only that it was a daft thought that we would pay the sort of wages he would have demanded despite Utd putting a vast % in
Login to get fewer ads

Walcott on 20:46 - Feb 22 with 1839 viewsKennington

Because Lingard had become like Cliff Thorburn, an unknown quantity. He had one quality season three years ago. Man U probably looked at West Ham and thought he’ll be in a good competitive team, and there’ll be some cash coming in too. If he’d failed, he’d probably have ended up at Stoke next season rather than back as a starter at Man Utd.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Walcott on 20:55 - Feb 22 with 1821 viewsButty101

Walcott on 17:19 - Feb 22 by Ron11

Keep him. It doesn't look as though he'll get a look in back at Everton.

So do we sign Walcott in the summer? I’m not sure he’s done enough and is he going to block someone like tella?

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Walcott on 00:29 - Feb 23 with 1719 viewsdarthvader

Walcott on 20:55 - Feb 22 by Butty101

So do we sign Walcott in the summer? I’m not sure he’s done enough and is he going to block someone like tella?

Sign him

keep the faith coyr

Walcott on 07:35 - Feb 23 with 1655 viewscocklebreath

Lingaard suddenly a top player because he’s scored a couple? He’s been shite for years

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Walcott on 08:17 - Feb 23 with 1623 viewsUlsterBaz

Walcott on 20:55 - Feb 22 by Butty101

Definitely not.
Walcott on 10:32 - Feb 23 with 1570 viewsSadoldgit

Like Shane Long, Theo ticks some boxes but not all of them. You can’t fault his enthusiasm or application but ultimately is he really good enough? There are better players out there in our pay bracket if only we can find them.
Walcott on 10:47 - Feb 23 with 1560 viewssaints__fan__73

Minamino is a far better player than Theo but we won't be able to afford his transfer fee/wages.

Walcott is out of contract in the Summer so assume we would be interested in signing him if he would accept what we can afford to pay him.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Walcott on 10:50 - Feb 23 with 1560 viewsSaintNick

West Ham were also handed a stadium at a rent of £2.5 million a year and pay no stewarding or maintenance costs, a dodgy deal where the rent doesn't even cover the running costs of the ground.

West ham have been decidedly average for years, it wasn't long ago when their fans were up in arms about the owners, they win a few games and suddenly they are the club we should be measuring ourselves against according to some.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Walcott on 11:19 - Feb 23 with 1540 viewsSonicBoom

The thing with Walcott is that there is no surprise.
We know all the facts.
He will be out of contract.
He can be good occasionally on his day.
He's bright and appreciates being here.
He is good for the younger lads I expect.

But he will miss fairly simple chances
His final ball is often frustrating
He will definitely spend a lot of time out injured.

Overall - and it's tough - but I would let him go. I think we can fill that space with someone a bit more reliable and younger. He's a great guy but wouldn't justify the wages I don't think.
Walcott on 11:40 - Feb 23 with 1530 viewsA1079

Walcott on 11:19 - Feb 23 by SonicBoom

The thing with Walcott is that there is no surprise.
We know all the facts.
He will be out of contract.
He can be good occasionally on his day.
He's bright and appreciates being here.
He is good for the younger lads I expect.

But he will miss fairly simple chances
His final ball is often frustrating
He will definitely spend a lot of time out injured.

Overall - and it's tough - but I would let him go. I think we can fill that space with someone a bit more reliable and younger. He's a great guy but wouldn't justify the wages I don't think.

I would agree Sonic. Part of me wants him to stay as I think he wants to be here and it would be nice to see him finish his career with us, but putting emotion aside, we can ill afford another player who only makes a difference occasionally - we have a few of them already.

Indeed, what you have written could also be copied and paste for Redmond. Both can have their moments and can have a good day but they seem all too rare and overall their final ball and finishing is poor. The only difference is that thus far Redmond does not have a poor injury record.
Walcott on 12:44 - Feb 23 with 1511 viewssaints__fan__73

Walcott on 10:50 - Feb 23 by SaintNick

West Ham were also handed a stadium at a rent of £2.5 million a year and pay no stewarding or maintenance costs, a dodgy deal where the rent doesn't even cover the running costs of the ground.

West ham have been decidedly average for years, it wasn't long ago when their fans were up in arms about the owners, they win a few games and suddenly they are the club we should be measuring ourselves against according to some.

Liebherr was also handed a stadium for free as the mortgage was written off when we went into admin.

Walcott on 12:57 - Feb 23 with 1499 viewsSaintNick

Walcott on 12:44 - Feb 23 by saints__fan__73

Liebherr was also handed a stadium for free as the mortgage was written off when we went into admin.

Actually it wasn't written of as Liebherr did pay an agreed fee to Aviva to write off the loan , if I remember rightly he paid about £12 million of the £24 million owed

Walcott on 13:11 - Feb 23 with 1485 viewssaints__fan__73

Walcott on 12:57 - Feb 23 by SaintNick

Actually it wasn't written of as Liebherr did pay an agreed fee to Aviva to write off the loan , if I remember rightly he paid about £12 million of the £24 million owed

Any proof of this Nick? Everything I read at the time was that Liebherr paid a one off price (c. £13m) for the club. If they had also made a payment to Aviva then that would have been about the same as they paid for the entire club.

Walcott on 13:20 - Feb 23 with 1479 viewsSaintNick

Walcott on 13:11 - Feb 23 by saints__fan__73

Any proof of this Nick? Everything I read at the time was that Liebherr paid a one off price (c. £13m) for the club. If they had also made a payment to Aviva then that would have been about the same as they paid for the entire club.

The terms of the deal were sketch, but Liebherr paid off a great deal of the club debt, this article below goes into it

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2012/01/southampton-saints-alive.html

Walcott on 20:39 - Apr 5 with 1171 viewsdirk_doone

So true. Lingard scores again to fire West Ham into the top 4.

Walcott on 22:13 - Apr 5 with 1094 viewsSaintsforeverj

Walcott on 20:39 - Apr 5 by dirk_doone

So true. Lingard scores again to fire West Ham into the top 4.

The West Ham fans protested at their ground and demanded more ambition for their team. Their owners since spent quite a bit of money and showed the ambition that was demanded. West Ham are now in a champions league place. An example of the club listening to the fans resulting in success I guess. West Ham ofcourse are potentially huge with a ground that holds 60 000 people.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2021 22:14]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Walcott on 15:00 - Apr 11 with 792 viewsdirk_doone

Lingard has to be the best loanee in the history of the Premier League. What a brilliant player he is. He's taking West Ham to the Champions League

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024