Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England V Germany Matchday Thread 10:10 - Jun 29 with 3017 viewsSaintNick

Who is excited and who doesn't care, certainly England have a good chance in this tournament if they can get past the Germans tonight

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

England V Germany Matchday Thread on 18:55 - Jun 29 with 1053 viewsgrumpy

England V Germany Matchday Thread on 18:47 - Jun 29 by Saintsforeverj

Keep it tight in the first half, bring on Grealish in the 2nd to win it. All part of the plan. I said it before, there may be a method to the madness. England have a great chance of getting to the final.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2021 18:48]

Yesssssssssssss
England V Germany Matchday Thread on 18:55 - Jun 29 with 1053 viewsSadoldgit

Never in doubt! Fair play to Southgate, he got the job done, but boy did we make hard work of that. Thankfully the German finishing was poor but they are a solid but average team. Still, the most import thing is that we won. But please Gareth, play a more attacking team next.
England V Germany Matchday Thread on 19:03 - Jun 29 with 1040 viewsdirk_doone

The combination of Shaw and Grealish on the left looked very good. That and Kane rediscovering his goalscoring form could be the keys to winning this tournament.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

England V Germany Matchday Thread on 19:05 - Jun 29 with 1030 viewsgrumpy

England V Germany Matchday Thread on 18:45 - Jun 29 by dirk_doone

To be fair, he did the right thing and brought on Grealish, not Mount or Rashford. He's learning.

Kane is so much better when Grealish plays.
England V Germany Matchday Thread on 19:12 - Jun 29 with 1002 views1885_SFC

England V Germany Matchday Thread on 19:05 - Jun 29 by grumpy

Probably why Man City are after both their signatures!

Old School is Cool

England V Germany Matchday Thread on 19:12 - Jun 29 with 1002 viewsdirk_doone

His presence lifts the whole team. Shaw was superb after Grealish came on.

A good treble for English sport today. Mark Cavendish won the 4th stage of the Tour de France, England beat Sri Lanka in the cricket and of course the best of all came at the end: the win over Germany.

England V Germany Matchday Thread on 19:15 - Jun 29 with 996 viewsSaintsforeverj

I think Southgate could be pulling off a masterstroke here. If you play attacking players from the start and go one or two up too early, the opposition have time to get back in the game like Switzerland did last night. The plan is to keep it tight, don't concede, and go for the kill later on by bringing on Grealish and the other attacking players. The attacking players come on fresh, full of energy and over power the opposition to win the game with little time left. It's premature to complain about the manager when he is getting the job done and he could well be lifting the trophy.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2021 19:16]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

England V Germany Matchday Thread on 19:22 - Jun 29 with 982 viewsSalisburySaint

England V Germany Matchday Thread on 19:12 - Jun 29 by dirk_doone

A good treble for English sport today. Mark Cavendish won the 4th stage of the Tour de France, England beat Sri Lanka in the cricket and of course the best of all came at the end: the win over Germany.

Was about to write the same

I was like Mrs Doyle from father Ted cheering Cavendish home, go on go on go on, and much the same with England’s two goals
Login to get fewer ads

England V Germany Matchday Thread on 19:26 - Jun 29 with 976 viewsSadoldgit

The team looks so much better when Grealish plays!
Credit to Pickford too. He has looked solid.
England V Germany Matchday Thread on 19:36 - Jun 29 with 960 viewsA1079

I haven't cheered so loudly for a long time. Terrific result. I cannot say it was all a joy to watch but the end justified the means.

Brilliant feeling from a result point of view.
England V Germany Matchday Thread on 19:57 - Jun 29 with 930 viewsDorsetIan

Full credit to Southgate. It's not pretty but he's getting the job done.

It's all about results. Had we lost, he'd be under a bus. He won - so he deserves all the praise. Method in his madness it seems.

And wtf do anyone of us know about setting up an England team to beat Germany in a Euros knock out game!!

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

England V Germany Matchday Thread on 20:11 - Jun 29 with 908 viewsSadoldgit

England V Germany Matchday Thread on 19:57 - Jun 29 by DorsetIan

Full credit to Southgate. It's not pretty but he's getting the job done.

It's all about results. Had we lost, he'd be under a bus. He won - so he deserves all the praise. Method in his madness it seems.

And wtf do anyone of us know about setting up an England team to beat Germany in a Euros knock out game!!

Fair points. I think we could have won that game more comfortably with a more adventurous team selection. I also think he gave the Germans too much respect as they are no way near the team they used to be. Still, winning the game was the only important thing and he did that. If he gets us to the final no one will give a stuff about his team selections.
England V Germany Matchday Thread on 20:54 - Jun 29 with 850 viewsgrumpy

England V Germany Matchday Thread on 19:12 - Jun 29 by dirk_doone

Just to beat Germany is good enough for me, anything else is a bonus.

Spoken like a true Saints fan
England V Germany Matchday Thread on 21:26 - Jun 29 with 829 viewscocklebreath

Great result, well done Gareth for sticking to your guns, I was wrong with pretty much all my opinions. If we okay Sweden next Forsburg is an excellent player who needs watching

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

England V Germany Matchday Thread on 21:37 - Jun 29 with 812 viewskingslandstand1

England V Germany Matchday Thread on 19:15 - Jun 29 by Saintsforeverj

I think Southgate could be pulling off a masterstroke here. If you play attacking players from the start and go one or two up too early, the opposition have time to get back in the game like Switzerland did last night. The plan is to keep it tight, don't concede, and go for the kill later on by bringing on Grealish and the other attacking players. The attacking players come on fresh, full of energy and over power the opposition to win the game with little time left. It's premature to complain about the manager when he is getting the job done and he could well be lifting the trophy.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2021 19:16]

The beauty of tonight as was said in commentary, was the strength on the bench when more attack minded players were brought on. Stifle and frustrate the opposition (and tbf rely on some poor finishing and great Pickford saves), and then bring the attacking guns on when required

After tonight's result it's a good job Southgate doesn't take any otice of the press and cr@ppy old football forums like this one
England V Germany Matchday Thread on 23:16 - Jun 29 with 749 viewssaintwizzler

Funny as fûck reading this thread back.

It’s
Coming
Home

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

England V Germany Matchday Thread on 07:39 - Jun 30 with 640 viewsCity_boy

Great result and long over due, but I thought our overall performance was average at best.

Were it not from some poor finishing and a great save from Pickford, this could have been a different story.
The way were playing in the first hour, I could not see us coming back if we went a goal down.

There were a number of players who still under performed, especially Kane.
It showed we do need the creative players like Grealish, Foden etc. For much of the game it looked liked were playing with a flat back 5.

Anyway - it's the result that counts but I think we still need to improve to progress to the final.
England V Germany Matchday Thread on 08:04 - Jun 30 with 619 viewsdirk_doone

England V Germany Matchday Thread on 07:39 - Jun 30 by City_boy

Great result and long over due, but I thought our overall performance was average at best.

Were it not from some poor finishing and a great save from Pickford, this could have been a different story.
The way were playing in the first hour, I could not see us coming back if we went a goal down.

It showed we do need the creative players like Grealish, Foden etc. For much of the game it looked liked were playing with a flat back 5.

Anyway - it's the result that counts but I think we still need to improve to progress to the final.

Taking into account its importance and the opposition, that was one of the top ten England victories ever. I'm coming round to Southgate's way of thinking, even though it leads to a very dull first half. It's reminiscent of Nuno Santo's tactic at Wolves: defend and nullify the opposition for the first 3/4 of the game, then bring on your most dangerous attacking player to wreak havoc when they are tiring. Nuno did it with Traore; Southgate is doing it with Grealish. I can't help wondering though if it would be even better if he brought on both Grealish and Foden.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2021 8:05]

England V Germany Matchday Thread on 08:49 - Jun 30 with 591 viewsSadoldgit

Any tactics are great if and when they work but what happens if you find yourself 2 down at half time? We were fortunate yesterday that a good chance fell to Werner whose finishing has been poor all season and that Muller missed a straightforward chance to equalise. So far we have mostly been very professional, solid and uninspiring. If we get to the final no one will care how we got there, but so far I think we have been the most boring team of the competition. A tightly buttoned up grey waistcoat has become a metaphor for the way we play our football.
England V Germany Matchday Thread on 10:17 - Jun 30 with 554 viewsPatfromPoole

Chuffed to have been there.

A great day.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

England V Germany Matchday Thread on 10:55 - Jun 30 with 530 viewsDorsetIan

It's easy to say what could have been but the opposition will always create chances , even more so at this level.

So yes, Werner could have scored but he didn't. And a lot of the time chances like that are missed/saved.

And yes, Muller should have scored but he didn't. And that's only one goal and we scored two.

Our tactics frustrated/smothered Germany and restricted their chances considerably. At no point were they really on top of us.

Another way to look at this is that we are unbeaten without conceding a goal and we haven't really got out of third gear yet. We have beaten two very good teams in Croatia and Germany and scored 4 lovely well worked goals.

And we've got some momentum. And if we do ever go behind and have to chase a game we have got lots of options off the bench to really to throw caution to the wind.

And we've got games against Ukraine and Denmark/Czech to get to the final.

Its all good.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

England V Germany Matchday Thread on 11:48 - Jun 30 with 502 viewsSadoldgit

We really haven’t played to Kane’s strengths so far apart from that lovely ball in from Grealish. He hasn’t received anywhere near the service for England that he gets at Spurs.
England V Germany Matchday Thread on 16:50 - Jun 30 with 411 viewsarfurdent

England V Germany Matchday Thread on 11:48 - Jun 30 by Sadoldgit

We really haven’t played to Kane’s strengths so far apart from that lovely ball in from Grealish. He hasn’t received anywhere near the service for England that he gets at Spurs.

Grealish made both goals, he is not a Big 6 player so will not be picked by the FA PR goblins

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

England V Germany Matchday Thread on 17:41 - Jun 30 with 396 viewsSadoldgit

England V Germany Matchday Thread on 16:50 - Jun 30 by arfurdent

Grealish made both goals, he is not a Big 6 player so will not be picked by the FA PR goblins

I thought that Shaw made the first goal from a pass from Grealish?
England V Germany Matchday Thread on 18:45 - Jun 30 with 367 viewsarfurdent

England V Germany Matchday Thread on 17:41 - Jun 30 by Sadoldgit

I thought that Shaw made the first goal from a pass from Grealish?

you said it, the clever bit was done by Grealish

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024