Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
T' 2022 cricket season 11:22 - Apr 14 with 42905 viewsD_Alien

So Lancs finally start against Kent at Canterbury, a game behind most of their rivals (except Yorkshire)

We're back to a post-Covid more traditional two-division setup with more red ball cricket being played mid-summer

No Jimmy Anderson in the line-up

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

T' 2022 cricket season on 18:32 - May 12 with 3008 viewsisitme

T' 2022 cricket season on 18:16 - May 12 by D_Alien

Very satisfactory day for Lancs, after being put in to bat

Consecutive tons for Jennings and Vilas resumes in the morning needing just 4 runs for 10,000 in first class cricket

Great daddy ton by Jennings. Perfectly measured. See off the new ball, recover after early wickets and then make hay when the ball gets older and the bowlers tire. Croft also batted well for his second ton of the season. The weather looks set fair for the full game as well.
T' 2022 cricket season on 18:42 - May 12 with 2992 viewsjonahwhereru

T' 2022 cricket season on 18:32 - May 12 by isitme

Great daddy ton by Jennings. Perfectly measured. See off the new ball, recover after early wickets and then make hay when the ball gets older and the bowlers tire. Croft also batted well for his second ton of the season. The weather looks set fair for the full game as well.

I previously voiced my reservations about Jennings, so need to acknowledge what a revelation his batting has been so far this season. He is rolling back the years. Long may it continue.
T' 2022 cricket season on 19:12 - May 12 with 2984 viewsisitme

T' 2022 cricket season on 18:42 - May 12 by jonahwhereru

I previously voiced my reservations about Jennings, so need to acknowledge what a revelation his batting has been so far this season. He is rolling back the years. Long may it continue.

He didn't have a good season in all formats last year, which ended early with injury.
T' 2022 cricket season on 19:57 - May 12 with 2946 viewsDorsetDale

T' 2022 cricket season on 15:02 - May 12 by Nigeriamark

switched to radio after that live coverage debacle ( was comical at first when I assumed it would be fixed in a few minutes). That's Yorkshire for you, probably not paid their internet bill

There were problems on all the live streams. Wasn't always paying attention but didn't hear any commentator mention anything about it.

YOU do not have the right to give someone else permission to tell me what I can and can't do.

T' 2022 cricket season on 13:21 - May 13 with 2813 viewsEllDale

Lancs 412-3 at lunch with Jennings having gone past 200.
Try and get to 500 this afternoon fingers crossed and then declare to get them in before close of play?
T' 2022 cricket season on 14:20 - May 13 with 2783 viewsD_Alien

T' 2022 cricket season on 13:21 - May 13 by EllDale

Try and get to 500 this afternoon fingers crossed and then declare to get them in before close of play?

Highest first class score for Jennings now

Could realistically declare at tea, should be thereabouts the 500 mark by then

T' 2022 cricket season on 14:37 - May 13 with 2766 viewsNigeriamark

T' 2022 cricket season on 13:21 - May 13 by EllDale

of the 4 teams who were are batting first in the top division, we have the lowest score so far. The other 3 are already past 500. Sure we will get there & hopefully declare in time to have at least half a session at them
T' 2022 cricket season on 12:28 - May 14 with 2680 viewsD_Alien

Big wicket for Parkinson in just his second over - Harry Brook, who's been in fine form this season

135-5

Login to get fewer ads

T' 2022 cricket season on 10:45 - May 15 with 2568 viewsNigeriamark

T' 2022 cricket season on 12:28 - May 14 by D_Alien

Big wicket for Parkinson in just his second over - Harry Brook, who's been in fine form this season

135-5

Draw looking favorite on the last day. Lancs need to fire out the last 2 batsmen quickly & perhaps get a couple out in the Yorkies second innings before tea. I don't fancy Kent to bat out the day so Surry should open up a decent gap, although obviously early days

Shame to hear about Andrew Symonds, only 46 years old. Very good 1 day cricketer, although can't really recall his time at Lancs
[Post edited 15 May 2022 10:46]
T' 2022 cricket season on 14:05 - May 15 with 2517 viewsD_Alien

T' 2022 cricket season on 10:45 - May 15 by Nigeriamark

Draw looking favorite on the last day. Lancs need to fire out the last 2 batsmen quickly & perhaps get a couple out in the Yorkies second innings before tea. I don't fancy Kent to bat out the day so Surry should open up a decent gap, although obviously early days

Shame to hear about Andrew Symonds, only 46 years old. Very good 1 day cricketer, although can't really recall his time at Lancs
[Post edited 15 May 2022 10:46]

Root gone early! Jimmy's on fire!

T' 2022 cricket season on 14:40 - May 15 with 2499 viewsjonahwhereru

What I like about this team at the moment is that they always give you a feeling that there is a chance of victory. They make the opposition work so hard.
T' 2022 cricket season on 15:19 - May 15 with 2460 viewsNigeriamark

T' 2022 cricket season on 14:40 - May 15 by jonahwhereru

What I like about this team at the moment is that they always give you a feeling that there is a chance of victory. They make the opposition work so hard.

I was wrong about Kent. Hardly any play due to rain so only need to survive a long post tea session Probably about 40 - 45 overs with 9 wickets
T' 2022 cricket season on 15:59 - May 15 with 2427 viewsD_Alien

T' 2022 cricket season on 15:19 - May 15 by Nigeriamark

I was wrong about Kent. Hardly any play due to rain so only need to survive a long post tea session Probably about 40 - 45 overs with 9 wickets

Surrey/Kent drawn

T' 2022 cricket season on 16:21 - May 16 with 2287 viewsisitme

Mahmood out with stress fracture of the back is a real shame. He had a decent tour of the West Indies and could have established himself in the team. Robinson is another one who has fallen foul to fitness. It looks like Matty Potts from Durham could be the next one in line for a call up.
T' 2022 cricket season on 16:34 - May 16 with 2274 viewsD_Alien

T' 2022 cricket season on 16:21 - May 16 by isitme

Mahmood out with stress fracture of the back is a real shame. He had a decent tour of the West Indies and could have established himself in the team. Robinson is another one who has fallen foul to fitness. It looks like Matty Potts from Durham could be the next one in line for a call up.

That's a real shame for Mahmood. As you say, he was just starting to establish himself in the England pecking order, and with other quicks out with various injuries he stood a real chance this season. He also looked like one of those bowlers whose action was so natural it'd stand up to the demands of a long career

One thing of note is the incredible number of high innings' scores being made so far this season, with both team and individual records falling with virtually every round of fixtures. Bowlers look to have their work cut out. Potts has had a great start, and right under the nose of the new captain, who i noticed didn't bowl at all in during the second innings which brought about Durham's victory. I hope that was tactical, not another tweak to be rested

T' 2022 cricket season on 16:40 - May 16 with 2254 viewsisitme

T' 2022 cricket season on 16:34 - May 16 by D_Alien

That's a real shame for Mahmood. As you say, he was just starting to establish himself in the England pecking order, and with other quicks out with various injuries he stood a real chance this season. He also looked like one of those bowlers whose action was so natural it'd stand up to the demands of a long career

One thing of note is the incredible number of high innings' scores being made so far this season, with both team and individual records falling with virtually every round of fixtures. Bowlers look to have their work cut out. Potts has had a great start, and right under the nose of the new captain, who i noticed didn't bowl at all in during the second innings which brought about Durham's victory. I hope that was tactical, not another tweak to be rested

The counties must have been told to prepare better wickets and the weather has been okay for the time of year, although a few games were rain affected last week.
T' 2022 cricket season on 17:09 - May 16 with 2226 viewsNigeriamark

T' 2022 cricket season on 16:34 - May 16 by D_Alien

it's incredible how injury prone our quick bowlers have been in the last 2 years. Bad luck or something in the training?
T' 2022 cricket season on 17:57 - May 16 with 2206 viewsD_Alien

T' 2022 cricket season on 17:09 - May 16 by Nigeriamark

it's incredible how injury prone our quick bowlers have been in the last 2 years. Bad luck or something in the training?

Can't just be bad luck

The change to fast bowlers becoming more injury prone started with the introduction of limited overs matches between county championship fixtures (or, as per last season, a complete stop to CC fixtures over several weeks). In addition, many top class bowlers are 'rested' between fixtures, especially those on central contracts

It's almost certainly down to the irregular / disrupted nature of how they're being asked to perform. Muscle memory breaks down, and then when they're called upon to perform, the pressure has been ramped up

T' 2022 cricket season on 21:42 - May 16 with 2151 viewspioneer

T' 2022 cricket season on 17:57 - May 16 by D_Alien

Can't just be bad luck

The change to fast bowlers becoming more injury prone started with the introduction of limited overs matches between county championship fixtures (or, as per last season, a complete stop to CC fixtures over several weeks). In addition, many top class bowlers are 'rested' between fixtures, especially those on central contracts

It's almost certainly down to the irregular / disrupted nature of how they're being asked to perform. Muscle memory breaks down, and then when they're called upon to perform, the pressure has been ramped up

Yes, when you think about how much bowling folks like John Snow, Bob Willis, Chris Old etc used to do in a season without these types of injury. Its certainly not the amount of bowling that can be blamed.
T' 2022 cricket season on 07:21 - May 17 with 2074 viewsisitme

T' 2022 cricket season on 17:57 - May 16 by D_Alien

Can't just be bad luck

It is a really good point about the rotation and resting and the almost lack of overs. I supposed the question that needs to be asked is why are the medical teams doing it then, if there are so many injuries as a result?
T' 2022 cricket season on 08:09 - May 17 with 2057 viewsD_Alien

T' 2022 cricket season on 07:21 - May 17 by isitme

It is a really good point about the rotation and resting and the almost lack of overs. I supposed the question that needs to be asked is why are the medical teams doing it then, if there are so many injuries as a result?

At a guess... it gives them something to do! If bowlers were able to stay fit through the natural rhythm of bowling they'd be out of a job

The interspersed one-day fixtures also put different strains on bowlers; for instance, having to adjust their line & length to save runs; bowling a couple of overs then coming back for another couple at the death; all of which disrupts the aforementioned muscle memory

Jofra Archer is probably the best example of this. Although Joe Root might be criticised for over-bowling him in tests, Archer hadn't been able to build up the stamina to withstand long spells that may have been unremarkable up to a couple of decades ago

[Post edited 17 May 2022 8:12]

T' 2022 cricket season on 13:17 - May 17 with 2009 viewspioneer

T' 2022 cricket season on 08:09 - May 17 by D_Alien

At a guess... it gives them something to do! If bowlers were able to stay fit through the natural rhythm of bowling they'd be out of a job

The interspersed one-day fixtures also put different strains on bowlers; for instance, having to adjust their line & length to save runs; bowling a couple of overs then coming back for another couple at the death; all of which disrupts the aforementioned muscle memory

Jofra Archer is probably the best example of this. Although Joe Root might be criticised for over-bowling him in tests, Archer hadn't been able to build up the stamina to withstand long spells that may have been unremarkable up to a couple of decades ago

[Post edited 17 May 2022 8:12]

Also while total number of games/overs bowled may be less than in days gone by the number of games at the highest intensity (test matches and other internationals) have increased exponentially.

And the blokes playing at this level often have no competitive preparation in terms on county games. Not to mention the time spent on airlines and in hotels.
T' 2022 cricket season on 11:54 - May 19 with 1893 viewsD_Alien

Balls...

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/county-championship-2022-dukes-admit-quality-

Cook out at OT, btw

Meanwhile, Archer out for the summer... or for good?

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/jofra-archer-ruled-out-for-summer-after-suffe
[Post edited 19 May 2022 11:58]

T' 2022 cricket season on 14:20 - May 19 with 1835 viewsNigeriamark

T' 2022 cricket season on 11:54 - May 19 by D_Alien

Balls...

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/county-championship-2022-dukes-admit-quality-

Cook out at OT, btw

Meanwhile, Archer out for the summer... or for good?

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/jofra-archer-ruled-out-for-summer-after-suffe
[Post edited 19 May 2022 11:58]

You beat me to the post about Joffra. I wonder if he is ever going to have a test career? May be OK for the white ball game with limited use, but elbow & then back injuries are going to be exacerbated by fast bowling. It will be a shame because he offers something more than the regular medium quick brigade. Same with Mark Wood, that extra bit of zip but can't manage a series without breaking down
T' 2022 cricket season on 16:06 - May 20 with 1744 viewsD_Alien

Lancs 32-5 in reply to 391, the wheels have come off!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024