Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why Adam Armstrong??? 15:59 - Mar 12 with 3527 viewsblambo

Big Paul gets 10 minutes...
Why, oh why did he bring on Adam Armstrong ?
Speechless...
Why Adam Armstrong??? on 16:03 - Mar 12 with 2891 viewsSouthamptonfan

To run around and his energy I guess. We got a good point. I won't complain whoever plays when we get results. Getting any result is something we haven't been used to. 4 points from 'Chelsea and Man U away with two clean sheets? Come on be happy.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2023 16:03]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Why Adam Armstrong??? on 16:05 - Mar 12 with 2870 viewsBLEEDRED

Very strange, AA would not even score playing against Saints Woman team, Tall Paul should be given more than 10 mins
Why Adam Armstrong??? on 16:14 - Mar 12 with 2846 viewsGRIM

Why Adam Armstrong??? on 16:05 - Mar 12 by BLEEDRED

Very strange, AA would not even score playing against Saints Woman team, Tall Paul should be given more than 10 mins

Once again the Substitutions made us worse.
Adam A & Mara offer absolutely nothing.
Stuart Armstrong just doesn't look the same player this season
Why Adam Armstrong??? on 17:05 - Mar 12 with 2720 viewskingslandstand1

Right at the death he was virtually through and one on one with De Gea and fluffed his lines again with Jo Tessum correctly saying as I did to my missus just before that he is lacking in confidence

Can we afford that at this crunch period. Big Paul must be wondering WTF
Why Adam Armstrong??? on 17:53 - Mar 12 with 2667 viewsgrumpy

Why Adam Armstrong??? on 17:05 - Mar 12 by kingslandstand1

Right at the death he was virtually through and one on one with De Gea and fluffed his lines again with Jo Tessum correctly saying as I did to my missus just before that he is lacking in confidence

Can we afford that at this crunch period. Big Paul must be wondering WTF

Walcott gets 85 minutes Onuachu 5 minutes makes no sense to me.
I'm pleased we got a point but we should have gone for three.
Seles wont keep us in the Premiership,I don't think he knows his strongest line up and he certainly has no idea when it come to substitutes.
Why Adam Armstrong??? on 18:20 - Mar 12 with 2627 viewssaint22

And Mara every game?? Is not contractual?
It’s totally nonsensical otherwise
Leaving our 20m striker on the bench while Walcott and the like start
We need goals and points so quit seeing if these Players will come good
It’s time to gamble
Why Adam Armstrong??? on 18:54 - Mar 12 with 2596 viewscocklebreath

Why Adam Armstrong??? on 17:53 - Mar 12 by grumpy

Seles wont keep us in the Premiership,I don't think he knows his strongest line up and he certainly has no idea when it come to substitutes.

Fook me you’re a negative bugger, played well today yes subs a bit dodgy but not a lot on the bench

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Why Adam Armstrong??? on 19:53 - Mar 12 with 2539 viewskingslandstand1

Why Adam Armstrong??? on 18:54 - Mar 12 by cocklebreath

Fook me you’re a negative bugger, played well today yes subs a bit dodgy but not a lot on the bench

And that's the problem, lack of good enough quality in depth for the bench whether he gets the subs right or not
Login to get fewer ads

Why Adam Armstrong??? on 20:09 - Mar 12 with 2524 viewsgrumpy

Why Adam Armstrong??? on 18:54 - Mar 12 by cocklebreath

'Not a lot on the bench'

We have Onuachu who had scored 17 in 22 games for Genk making him top scorer in the Belgian top flight before he joined us,79 in 114 games for Genk.
Why pay 18 million for him and put on the bench for 85 minutes?

As for being negative(I did say I was pleased with the point) yes! I was disappointed we didn't get three , United were down to 10 men at 34min and they were way off form.

I thought Bazunu played well today and we were lucky he did.

If we had taken 3 points today we would have been 18th with the same points as the two above Leicester and West Ham.Opportunity missed me thinks.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2023 20:15]
Why Adam Armstrong??? on 20:37 - Mar 12 with 2497 viewsButty101

Why Adam Armstrong??? on 17:53 - Mar 12 by grumpy

Walcott was very good today.

For the first time this season we look a team and shouldn’t divert from this line up. That said I would like to see tall Paul and adams up front

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Why Adam Armstrong??? on 20:45 - Mar 12 with 2488 viewsSouthamptonfan

Why Adam Armstrong??? on 20:37 - Mar 12 by Butty101

Walcott was very good today.

For the first time this season we look a team and shouldn’t divert from this line up. That said I would like to see tall Paul and adams up front

Walcott was excellent. I've seen the chances he had. The header was a fantastic save. They certainly weren't bad misses.

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Why Adam Armstrong??? on 01:15 - Mar 13 with 2340 viewssaint22

Why Adam Armstrong??? on 20:45 - Mar 12 by Southamptonfan

Walcott was excellent. I've seen the chances he had. The header was a fantastic save. They certainly weren't bad misses.

The one on one was poor AF
Why Adam Armstrong??? on 09:06 - Mar 13 with 2261 viewsSaintNick

The one thing that Selles has brought to the party is that he is playing players based on what they bring to the team and not panicking, hopefully Tall Paul's time will come, but so far he has not shown that he should be in the team ahead of anyone who was on the pitch before him.

Saturday was about hard work and running, with 13 mins to go Sulemana had blown out after a lot of hard work, we needed someone to come on and take up where he left off on the left, that meant only two real options, Armstrong or Elyounoussi.

Perhaps we could have shuffled, but that would have upset our formation that was working well.

Essentially playing 1 man up front meant that Onauchu was only going to replace one man and that was Che, but that job went to Mara.

In the 85th minute we went for it a little and did change it taking off Walcott and bringing on Tall Paul, to be honest he had 5 mins plus another 5 played for injury time and never got into the game.

I am hopefull that against Brentford he will play a bigger role and show why we signed him

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Why Adam Armstrong??? on 09:34 - Mar 13 with 2238 views1885_SFC

Why Adam Armstrong??? on 09:06 - Mar 13 by SaintNick

The one thing that Selles has brought to the party is that he is playing players based on what they bring to the team and not panicking, hopefully Tall Paul's time will come, but so far he has not shown that he should be in the team ahead of anyone who was on the pitch before him.

Saturday was about hard work and running, with 13 mins to go Sulemana had blown out after a lot of hard work, we needed someone to come on and take up where he left off on the left, that meant only two real options, Armstrong or Elyounoussi.

Perhaps we could have shuffled, but that would have upset our formation that was working well.

Essentially playing 1 man up front meant that Onauchu was only going to replace one man and that was Che, but that job went to Mara.

In the 85th minute we went for it a little and did change it taking off Walcott and bringing on Tall Paul, to be honest he had 5 mins plus another 5 played for injury time and never got into the game.

I am hopefull that against Brentford he will play a bigger role and show why we signed him

We definitely need tall Paul to find his scoring boots sooner rather than later.

The past few PL results show that we're doing okay at the back by limiting goals against - but up front we really need to start putting the ball in the net - or it will be our downfall.

Old School is Cool

Why Adam Armstrong??? on 09:51 - Mar 13 with 2227 viewsCCSFC

Why Adam Armstrong??? on 16:05 - Mar 12 by BLEEDRED

Bit if a misogynistic, disrespectful and completely unnecessary post towards the Woman's team there, who have been fantastic both on and off the pitch......

Poll: How many 'West Ham interested in....' News stories will we see by deadline day?

Why Adam Armstrong??? on 11:01 - Mar 13 with 2192 viewsDorsetIan

Why Adam Armstrong??? on 09:06 - Mar 13 by SaintNick

I really like the fact that Selles is trying to build some continuity.

The starting 11 is much more settled and that is helping us to play as a team and generate some 'team spirit'. All that tinkering under Ralph and Jones made it really hard to generate any consistency.

I think bringing on Armstrong and Mara again as the two subs is all part of that. Let then get used to something, so that they can grown into their roles a bit.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Why Adam Armstrong??? on 12:39 - Mar 13 with 2129 viewsButty101

Why Adam Armstrong??? on 09:51 - Mar 13 by CCSFC

Bit if a misogynistic, disrespectful and completely unnecessary post towards the Woman's team there, who have been fantastic both on and off the pitch......

FFS really - give your head a wobble

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Why Adam Armstrong??? on 14:28 - Mar 13 with 2070 viewssaint22

Why Adam Armstrong??? on 11:01 - Mar 13 by DorsetIan

I really like the fact that Selles is trying to build some continuity.

The starting 11 is much more settled and that is helping us to play as a team and generate some 'team spirit'. All that tinkering under Ralph and Jones made it really hard to generate any consistency.

I think bringing on Armstrong and Mara again as the two subs is all part of that. Let then get used to something, so that they can grown into their roles a bit.

But they bring nothing
No point making the same subs each game for consistency we need results and goals
And I am all for playing the same eleven if it’s your best one
Why Adam Armstrong??? on 14:35 - Mar 13 with 2066 viewsSaintNick

Why Adam Armstrong??? on 14:28 - Mar 13 by saint22

But they bring nothing
No point making the same subs each game for consistency we need results and goals

You say they bring nothing ! How are you defining nothing, if it is purely on scoring goals then literally all our team are bringing nothing to the party, On Sunday all of the subs contributed.

Adam Armstrong came here as a striker who scored 28 goals in the Championship, but most of this season he has rarely been used as a striker, yet some still berate him because he doesn't score.

On Sunday he played the last 13 minutes, he ran his socks off and made sure that they didn't overrun us, he scored exactly the same number of goals and created exactly the same number of chances as everyone else out there in the final 13 minutes.

He brought fresh legs out wide on the left, the only other choice off the bench for this role was Elyounoussi

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Why Adam Armstrong??? on 14:38 - Mar 13 with 2059 viewsDorsetIan

Why Adam Armstrong??? on 14:28 - Mar 13 by saint22

But they bring nothing

Selles seems to think that they bring something and, to be fair, in the last two games we haven't conceded late goals after they have come on, meaning that we've picked up 4 points.

I agree that neither is much of a goal threat, but neither is anyone else on the bench!

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Why Adam Armstrong??? on 16:06 - Mar 13 with 2033 viewsgrumpy

Why Adam Armstrong??? on 14:38 - Mar 13 by DorsetIan

Selles seems to think that they bring something and, to be fair, in the last two games we haven't conceded late goals after they have come on, meaning that we've picked up 4 points.

I agree that neither is much of a goal threat, but neither is anyone else on the bench!

Onauchu is a goalscorer or are we waiting for his form to drop like Adams?
Play Onauchu with Adams upfront.
[Post edited 13 Mar 2023 16:09]
Why Adam Armstrong??? on 08:14 - Mar 14 with 1927 viewssaint901

Both Armstrong and Paul are what I would call fairly one dimensional players. They have a way of playing that varies little and as a consequence they are predictable and most defenders can work them out quickly.

Paul is not that mobile because his game is all about his height and power. AA is more mobile but until RH converted him into a deeper sitting player able to run at defenders, he drifted along the front line without straying too far from the centre.

Contrast them both with say Foden or Rashford at their best. Both can play deep or press forward and both can come inside from the wide positions. Foden in particular sits in the space between defenders and midfield and is really hard to keep track of.

As we don't have a Foden or a Rashford, we use two players, subbing one for the other because it gives us a golder few minutes whilst the defenders adjust.
Why Adam Armstrong??? on 09:53 - Mar 14 with 1894 viewsgrumpy

Why Adam Armstrong??? on 08:14 - Mar 14 by saint901

Both Armstrong and Paul are what I would call fairly one dimensional players. They have a way of playing that varies little and as a consequence they are predictable and most defenders can work them out quickly.

Paul is not that mobile because his game is all about his height and power. AA is more mobile but until RH converted him into a deeper sitting player able to run at defenders, he drifted along the front line without straying too far from the centre.

Contrast them both with say Foden or Rashford at their best. Both can play deep or press forward and both can come inside from the wide positions. Foden in particular sits in the space between defenders and midfield and is really hard to keep track of.

As we don't have a Foden or a Rashford, we use two players, subbing one for the other because it gives us a golder few minutes whilst the defenders adjust.

So are you saying we have spent 18 million on a player who will spend most of his time on the bench.
Some of the best players I can remember were one dimensional.
We have a goalscorer on the bench if we don't play him he wont score.
We just cant rely on JWP to score from free kicks,play Adams and Onuachu upfront together.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2023 10:04]
Why Adam Armstrong??? on 11:12 - Mar 14 with 1873 viewssaint901

Why Adam Armstrong??? on 09:53 - Mar 14 by grumpy

So are you saying we have spent 18 million on a player who will spend most of his time on the bench.
Some of the best players I can remember were one dimensional.
We have a goalscorer on the bench if we don't play him he wont score.
We just cant rely on JWP to score from free kicks,play Adams and Onuachu upfront together.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2023 10:04]

No, I'm saying that he has a playing style that relies upon his obvious physical gifts and that against some teams, that style is not going to work.

As for paying £18m, how much do you think a 20 goal a season striker int he PL would cost? I'd start guessing at twice that value and upwards. How much would Foden or Rashford cost?

I see no evidence from the minutes played that Paul has yet found his way to scoring goals and frankly his history is in scoring goals against opposition weaker than he finds in the PL .

Many players who are one dimensional have great careers and are very successful. In my opinion, these tend to be defenders or holding midfield players.

Again, in my view, creative midfield players and strikers who can vary their game are the more successful of their type, especially in the modern game where the way teams play is analysed beyond sending an assistant coach to the last match.

I would make the same observations about Mara. For me he is short of being a PL player at the moment and a spell elsewhere would I think do him some good.
Why Adam Armstrong??? on 18:34 - Mar 14 with 1825 viewsgrumpy

Why Adam Armstrong??? on 11:12 - Mar 14 by saint901

No, I'm saying that he has a playing style that relies upon his obvious physical gifts and that against some teams, that style is not going to work.

As for paying £18m, how much do you think a 20 goal a season striker int he PL would cost? I'd start guessing at twice that value and upwards. How much would Foden or Rashford cost?

I see no evidence from the minutes played that Paul has yet found his way to scoring goals and frankly his history is in scoring goals against opposition weaker than he finds in the PL .

Many players who are one dimensional have great careers and are very successful. In my opinion, these tend to be defenders or holding midfield players.

Again, in my view, creative midfield players and strikers who can vary their game are the more successful of their type, especially in the modern game where the way teams play is analysed beyond sending an assistant coach to the last match.

I would make the same observations about Mara. For me he is short of being a PL player at the moment and a spell elsewhere would I think do him some good.

Paul wont show any of his 'obvious physical gifts'if he doesn't play.

There have been plenty of players bought for in and around 18 million that have gone on to score well in the Premiership.

Paul from what I have seen has good skill at his feet and could be exceptional given the chance in the air.

Would you call Ivan Toney or Aleksandar Mitrovic one dimensional they didnt cost a fortune,Toney cost around 10 million.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024