Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FAO: Nicholas Illingsworth Esq 09:20 - May 22 with 2153 viewssaints__fan__73

Are you still maintaining that this year squad ISN'T the weakest we have ever had in the top flight?

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

FAO: Nicholas Illingsworth Esq on 11:21 - May 22 with 2051 viewsarfurdent

damage is done, who gives a fcuk

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

FAO: Nicholas Illingsworth Esq on 11:31 - May 22 with 2025 viewsSaintNick

Post up what you see as our weakest squad and ill compare

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

FAO: Nicholas Illingsworth Esq on 12:03 - May 22 with 1997 viewssaints__fan__73

FAO: Nicholas Illingsworth Esq on 11:31 - May 22 by SaintNick

Post up what you see as our weakest squad and ill compare

Weakest squad: 2022/23. Compare total points = 24.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

FAO: Nicholas Illingsworth Esq on 12:58 - May 22 with 1958 viewsPatfromPoole

FAO: Nicholas Illingsworth Esq on 12:03 - May 22 by saints__fan__73

Weakest squad: 2022/23. Compare total points = 24.

It’s a lot weaker than the 2005 squad, which never should have got relegated.

But there were similarities in that we had 3 very poor managers in each season.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

FAO: Nicholas Illingsworth Esq on 14:35 - May 22 with 1863 views1ASIN12

Its is our worst team in our top flight history.

1973/74 36 points from a 42 game season - however it was only 2 points for a win back then (we would have 47 points under 3 points for a win) and only 1 point from safety.

2004/2005 32 points from a 38 game season and 2 points from safety. (another myth that Portsmouth seem to think that by losing to West Brom they sent us down..When in fact if we had won we would have survived.)

2022/2023 24 points from a 38 games season (27 if we win Sunday) and at very best 6 points from safety.
FAO: Nicholas Illingsworth Esq on 16:00 - May 22 with 1798 viewsSaintNick

FAO: Nicholas Illingsworth Esq on 14:35 - May 22 by 1ASIN12

Its is our worst team in our top flight history.

1973/74 36 points from a 42 game season - however it was only 2 points for a win back then (we would have 47 points under 3 points for a win) and only 1 point from safety.

2004/2005 32 points from a 38 game season and 2 points from safety. (another myth that Portsmouth seem to think that by losing to West Brom they sent us down..When in fact if we had won we would have survived.)

2022/2023 24 points from a 38 games season (27 if we win Sunday) and at very best 6 points from safety.

I agree in terms of points total's it is the worse team in history, but that doesn't mean it is the weakest squad, my personal view is this was a decent squad but poorly led,

Back in 2005 just about the only players that would have got in our current team were Antti Niemi, Peter Crouch/James Beattie(38 games between them) & Claus Lundekvam, so that 3 positions and key ones at that down the spine, Goalkeeper, Central defender & Centre forward. Perhaps Kevin Phillips as well

If we compare by position and players that played 10 games or more

Antti Niemi ( Bazunu/ McCarthy)

RB Paul Telfer ( KWP & Livramento)

Claus/ Jakobsson/Higginbottom/Van Damme/Davenport (Salisu, Caleta Car, Bella Kotchap, Bednarek, Lyanco) Only Claus would truly outshine

Graeme Le Saux Olivier Bernard ( Perraud/Larios/KWP) Le Saux at end of career

Midfield - Quasie, Prutton, Redknapp, Anders Svensson, McCann, Fernandes, Delap ( JWP, Lavia, Aribo, Edozie, S Armstrong, Sulemana, Elyounoussi, Djenepo, Diallo, Walcott, Orsic, Walcott

Forwards Beattie (Only 11 games) or Crouch, Camara, Phillips ( A Armstrong Che Adams, Paul Onauchu, Sekou mara

So out of the squad i would say that only Niemi, Lundekvam, Crouch & Phillips would get in our side ( I am treating Beattie & Crouch as only one position as essentially Beattie played the first 11 games and Crouch the rest.

Team Picked from both squads

Niemi

KWP Claus & one of Salisu or Bella Kotchap , Perraud

S Armstrong Lavia , JWP, Alcaraz

Phillips & Crouch.

Subs

Bazunu, , Larios, Salisu, Bednarek, Adams, Mara, Sulemana, Walcott A Armstrong

That combines side would have kept us up, but I would suggest we went down then because we were strong in key positions but overall the squad was weak, whereas today it is the opposite, we were weak in the key positions but overall a much stronger squad.

Of the 20 players on duty only 4 get in the starting line up and none on the bench, you could argue a case for a couple such as Danny Higginbottom, but essentially if you were picking a 20 man squad then only 6 -7 max would be from 2005.

FAO: Nicholas Illingsworth Esq on 17:42 - May 22 with 1736 viewsarfurdent

I do not get the interest in disecting the rotting corpse of the club.

Club management is rubbish, players do not give a toss and the service at the concourse is at an all time low.

Let the corpse rest in peace over the summer (hopefully it will not putrefy completely) and return for a lenghty spell in the Championship and League 2

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

FAO: Nicholas Illingsworth Esq on 18:23 - May 22 with 1701 viewsButty101

FAO: Nicholas Illingsworth Esq on 16:00 - May 22 by SaintNick

I agree in terms of points total's it is the worse team in history, but that doesn't mean it is the weakest squad, my personal view is this was a decent squad but poorly led,

Back in 2005 just about the only players that would have got in our current team were Antti Niemi, Peter Crouch/James Beattie(38 games between them) & Claus Lundekvam, so that 3 positions and key ones at that down the spine, Goalkeeper, Central defender & Centre forward. Perhaps Kevin Phillips as well

Claus/ Jakobsson/Higginbottom/Van Damme/Davenport (Salisu, Caleta Car, Bella Kotchap, Bednarek, Lyanco) Only Claus would truly outshine

Midfield - Quasie, Prutton, Redknapp, Anders Svensson, McCann, Fernandes, Delap ( JWP, Lavia, Aribo, Edozie, S Armstrong, Sulemana, Elyounoussi, Djenepo, Diallo, Walcott, Orsic, Walcott

Forwards Beattie (Only 11 games) or Crouch, Camara, Phillips ( A Armstrong Che Adams, Paul Onauchu, Sekou mara

So out of the squad i would say that only Niemi, Lundekvam, Crouch & Phillips would get in our side ( I am treating Beattie & Crouch as only one position as essentially Beattie played the first 11 games and Crouch the rest.

Niemi

Phillips & Crouch.

Subs

That combines side would have kept us up, but I would suggest we went down then because we were strong in key positions but overall the squad was weak, whereas today it is the opposite, we were weak in the key positions but overall a much stronger squad.

Of the 20 players on duty only 4 get in the starting line up and none on the bench, you could argue a case for a couple such as Danny Higginbottom, but essentially if you were picking a 20 man squad then only 6 -7 max would be from 2005.

Stuart Armstrong has been useless this season and I would take Anders Svennson over him. Charlie plays up front not wide. Up until Prutton got sent off he was having a good season and. Had become a key player. So those two would be my wise midfielders. The rest I agree on.

you can’t ignore the fact that this is a really really poor premiership this season and we still have a record low points performance

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Login to get fewer ads

FAO: Nicholas Illingsworth Esq on 20:16 - May 22 with 1577 viewsSouthSeaSaint

FAO: Nicholas Illingsworth Esq on 16:00 - May 22 by SaintNick

Niemi

Phillips & Crouch.

Subs

In essence I think you are correct.
However the rest of the Prem have strengthened by a combination of astute signings and good team management.
Whereas we haven't.
FAO: Nicholas Illingsworth Esq on 21:13 - May 22 with 1523 viewsSouthamptonfan

FAO: Nicholas Illingsworth Esq on 20:16 - May 22 by SouthSeaSaint

However the rest of the Prem have strengthened by a combination of astute signings and good team management.
Whereas we haven't.

That's definitely the thing - other clubs have strengthened well, with good.players. We have bought a load of inexperienced, untried, and mostly poor players, who had never played PL football.

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

FAO: Nicholas Illingsworth Esq on 21:31 - May 22 with 1508 viewsSaintNick

FAO: Nicholas Illingsworth Esq on 20:16 - May 22 by SouthSeaSaint

Whereas we haven't.

I have always maintained that the squad is strong, but that it lacks in key areas in the team that we have failed to address, as i have illustrated this squad is stronger overall than the other in 2005 it just those 2-3 key players

FAO: Nicholas Illingsworth Esq on 21:34 - May 22 with 1505 viewsSouthamptonfan

FAO: Nicholas Illingsworth Esq on 21:31 - May 22 by SaintNick

I have always maintained that the squad is strong, but that it lacks in key areas in the team that we have failed to address, as i have illustrated this squad is stronger overall than the other in 2005 it just those 2-3 key players

As you have said Nick for years, we miss leaders, we miss experience at the back and we miss a few decent strikers. The key areas of a football team win games. If you can't defend and can't score, you don't win.

FAO: Nicholas Illingsworth Esq on 21:45 - May 22 with 1494 viewsSaintNick

FAO: Nicholas Illingsworth Esq on 21:34 - May 22 by Southamptonfan

As you have said Nick for years, we miss leaders, we miss experience at the back and we miss a few decent strikers. The key areas of a football team win games. If you can't defend and can't score, you don't win.

Exactly, no leader since Fonte & Davis went

FAO: Nicholas Illingsworth Esq on 21:51 - May 22 with 1478 viewsSouthamptonfan

FAO: Nicholas Illingsworth Esq on 21:45 - May 22 by SaintNick

Exactly, no leader since Fonte & Davis went

Yep exactly. You could have many average players bulking out the squad if you have a few decent defenders and a top striker. We always had an Ings, a Fonte as you say, a Le Tissier, a Broja even. This year we just haven't had the quality needed in the key areas.

FAO: Nicholas Illingsworth Esq on 22:54 - May 22 with 1425 viewshedgeend61

FAO: Nicholas Illingsworth Esq on 21:13 - May 22 by Southamptonfan

That's definitely the thing - other clubs have strengthened well, with good.players. We have bought a load of inexperienced, untried, and mostly poor players, who had never played PL football.

That's right, take Leicester and Everton this season, both have better squads than us, one or both will be relegated, how many of our players would get in their starting 11?

2 or 3 max?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024