Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes 2023 16:47 - Jun 8 with 90154 viewsHoopstar

Ah the home Ashes series is almost upon us, my personal favourite sporting event (not down under, that's just generally depressing.) I need something big sporting wise to focus on and quit my worrying about QPR for a while.

Anyone going?

I was at the first day of the World Test Championship at the Oval yesterday. The Aussies looked in depressingly good nick with the bat and their pace attack appears as terrifying as ever.

I think it's going to be an exciting, tough, tense series that'll go down to the wire. I only managed to get tickets to the very final day of the Ashes on 31st July at the Oval, you never know.

I predict...

Crawley to average less than 20 with Duckett getting closer to mid 30s
Brook to really secure his position as an outstanding talent and mainstay of the team
Pope to struggle again~
Root, in what could be his last home Ashes, proving his worth again
Bairstow - haven't a clue which version turns up post broken foot

Broad - an Ashes too far? You'd be mad to write him or Jimmy off.
Robinson to nab Smith at least four times..
Ashes 2023 on 15:45 - Jul 9 with 1967 viewsGaryBannister86

oh yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss phew
Ashes 2023 on 15:47 - Jul 9 with 1948 viewsflynnbo

Woody should be MoM.
Ashes 2023 on 15:52 - Jul 9 with 1911 viewsLimehouseR

Surely they have to ditch Bairstow now. He hasn't really done much with the bat and his keeping has cost us far too often. But I feel like they have an over keen sense of loyalty to some of the players.
Ashes 2023 on 16:05 - Jul 9 with 1876 viewsMedwayR

Ashes 2023 on 15:52 - Jul 9 by LimehouseR

Surely they have to ditch Bairstow now. He hasn't really done much with the bat and his keeping has cost us far too often. But I feel like they have an over keen sense of loyalty to some of the players.

I hope so but I agree they're unlikely to drop Bairstow. However, they could fit him in at 3 as Pope's replacement and bring Foakes in so finger's crossed they find a way.

Poll: Who’s better?

Ashes 2023 on 16:12 - Jul 9 with 1851 viewsToast_R

Good weekend for the English, an Ashes Test and an U21 Euro's.

Taken my son to a Laser Quest centre for one of his class mates birthday party. Had Three other dads watching the final few runs on my phone. Must be about 50 degrees in this God awful place.
Ashes 2023 on 17:28 - Jul 9 with 1759 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes 2023 on 15:21 - Jul 9 by MedwayR

My fear is that winning this test will embolden England to continue with their brainless approach. Ideal opportunity to bring Foakes back in whilst limiting damage to (possibly even retaining) Bairstow though I doubt they will.

I wouldn't have dropped Foakes (and they won't bring him back) but to say England's approach is brainless is, in itself, brainless.

3 absolutely fabulous Tests, all of which could have gone either way. The first one would have been a draw but for England's incredible approach to force a result which, with 8 wkts down, they should have done and now be sitting pretty 2-1 up.

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 18:03 - Jul 9 with 1696 viewsBoston

A short musical interlude.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Ashes 2023 on 18:04 - Jul 9 with 1700 viewsMatch82

Ashes 2023 on 17:28 - Jul 9 by Antti_Heinola

I wouldn't have dropped Foakes (and they won't bring him back) but to say England's approach is brainless is, in itself, brainless.

3 absolutely fabulous Tests, all of which could have gone either way. The first one would have been a draw but for England's incredible approach to force a result which, with 8 wkts down, they should have done and now be sitting pretty 2-1 up.

I would consider myself an interested, but not obsessive cricket fan. I'll watch the England games or listen to comms when i can (I'm abroad so not always easy to get the actual visuals) with the exception of the ashes which I always make a point to follow.

I get that the purists don't believe that "Bazball" is good for the game and I respect that, you have more skin in the game than me. But this is fantastic. 3 epic matches, packed full of drama, all could have gone either way, none in any danger of stretching to a draw (weather aside), it's absolutely great. I'm more likely to try and catch non ashes matches now than at any point in the last 15 years because it's just a much better chance of having a game which is enjoyable to watch/follow with Bazball.

If the aim is to increase the likelihood of casual fans to watch, and to bring some eyeballs back from short over games then they're absolutely nailing it IMO
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes 2023 on 18:38 - Jul 9 with 1644 viewsBlackCrowe

Ashes 2023 on 16:12 - Jul 9 by Toast_R

Good weekend for the English, an Ashes Test and an U21 Euro's.

Taken my son to a Laser Quest centre for one of his class mates birthday party. Had Three other dads watching the final few runs on my phone. Must be about 50 degrees in this God awful place.

Bad weekend for Aussie - beaten in Mens Ashes today, beaten in Womens Ashes yesterday and thoroughly tonked by the Saffers in rubgy yesterday. Nice.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Ashes 2023 on 19:06 - Jul 9 with 1593 viewswesty

Ashes 2023 on 18:38 - Jul 9 by BlackCrowe

Bad weekend for Aussie - beaten in Mens Ashes today, beaten in Womens Ashes yesterday and thoroughly tonked by the Saffers in rubgy yesterday. Nice.

However one lucky Aussie bastard gets to take home Katie Boulter. Imagine serving her an ace 😁
Ashes 2023 on 19:11 - Jul 9 with 1591 viewsSuperhoops2808

Ashes 2023 on 15:24 - Jul 9 by traininvain

I find the negativity on this thread a bit bewildering. Maybe we’ve all been following QPR for too long!

Couldn't agree more

From 14:00 today where people on here were writing England off, I was gobsmacked

This England side went about it in a sensible way today and got the runs required, a good solid job done

On the subject of Bairstow, this England management do not do knee jerk reactions and whether right or wrong they wont drop Bairstow. The annoying thing is that when Pope got injured they could have called up Foakes without losing face and perhaps provided competition for Bairstow
Ashes 2023 on 19:36 - Jul 9 with 1561 viewsToast_R

Ashes 2023 on 18:38 - Jul 9 by BlackCrowe

The post match Eddie Jones press conference was err... spikey to say the least. Got his arse handed to him really after complaining about not playing a full strength Boks side earlier in the week.

Ashes 2023 on 20:36 - Jul 9 with 1470 viewsBlackCrowe

Ashes 2023 on 19:36 - Jul 9 by Toast_R

The post match Eddie Jones press conference was err... spikey to say the least. Got his arse handed to him really after complaining about not playing a full strength Boks side earlier in the week.

So glad he doesn't manage England any more.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Ashes 2023 on 21:13 - Jul 9 with 1428 viewsHooparoo

Well done, another close game and great to watch. All to play for at Old Trafford so bring it on 🏏

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes 2023 on 22:09 - Jul 9 with 1331 viewsted_hendrix

Ashes 2023 on 19:36 - Jul 9 by Toast_R

I liked him.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ashes 2023 on 23:53 - Jul 9 with 1282 viewshubble

I thought that was magnificent, what test match cricket is all about. Hats off to Brook and Woakes and Wood at the end.... I thoroughly enjoyed that.

PS - In the main, I love TMS. I find Sky coverage, especially with all the ads, vulgar. All a matter of personal taste of course.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Ashes 2023 on 03:58 - Jul 10 with 1203 viewsSydneyRs

Really good win. Could easily have bottled it after Stokes and Bairstow got out and 80 runs were still needed. Instead England continued to take on the Aussies and play positively to get a great result.

This team genuinely does not play with any fear and the Aussies aren't comfortable with that. Very notable today how hard it is to find the cricket stories on the main news sites here when it was plastered all over the home pages during the games they won. Same old story, always go missing when the result doesn't go their way.

Very tough ask to win the series from here but still just about possible. Throwing away the first test which we absolutely should have won is costing us.

Also, what is it with the travelling Aussie fans (mostly seem to be white boomers/retirees on tour) and all wearing exactly the same outfits, Handmaid's Tale style. Looks ridiculous! Also, they never seemed to smile, even when they were getting wickets.
Ashes 2023 on 04:00 - Jul 10 with 1202 viewsSydneyRs

Ashes 2023 on 16:05 - Jul 9 by MedwayR

I hope so but I agree they're unlikely to drop Bairstow. However, they could fit him in at 3 as Pope's replacement and bring Foakes in so finger's crossed they find a way.

This could work. Also the 'bazball' philosophy is to let players express themselves without fear they will be dropped if it doesn't come off.
Ashes 2023 on 05:30 - Jul 10 with 1162 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes 2023 on 03:58 - Jul 10 by SydneyRs

Really good win. Could easily have bottled it after Stokes and Bairstow got out and 80 runs were still needed. Instead England continued to take on the Aussies and play positively to get a great result.

This team genuinely does not play with any fear and the Aussies aren't comfortable with that. Very notable today how hard it is to find the cricket stories on the main news sites here when it was plastered all over the home pages during the games they won. Same old story, always go missing when the result doesn't go their way.

Very tough ask to win the series from here but still just about possible. Throwing away the first test which we absolutely should have won is costing us.

Also, what is it with the travelling Aussie fans (mostly seem to be white boomers/retirees on tour) and all wearing exactly the same outfits, Handmaid's Tale style. Looks ridiculous! Also, they never seemed to smile, even when they were getting wickets.

I’ve often wondered about the Aussie fans too.Ok so you’re on a sports tour,but do you all have to wear the same outfits every day?I went with the barmy army to the ashes in 17/18 but we all dressed how we wanted.There are the yellow group and the green group all wearing the same shirts for 4 or 5 days,and they call us soap dodgers.
Ashes 2023 on 07:50 - Jul 10 with 1115 viewsSydneyRs

Ashes 2023 on 05:30 - Jul 10 by stowmarketrange

I’ve often wondered about the Aussie fans too.Ok so you’re on a sports tour,but do you all have to wear the same outfits every day?I went with the barmy army to the ashes in 17/18 but we all dressed how we wanted.There are the yellow group and the green group all wearing the same shirts for 4 or 5 days,and they call us soap dodgers.

I've been amongst the barmy army here at a couple of tests in the past. Plenty of them wear barmy army merchandise, but never exactly the same outfits like the Aussie lot. Its just weird. They also enjoy the experience whether winning or losing.

Good point about the soap dodging, or do they all have 5 of each exact same item?
Ashes 2023 on 10:49 - Jul 10 with 1031 viewsHayesender

Ashes 2023 on 07:50 - Jul 10 by SydneyRs

I've been amongst the barmy army here at a couple of tests in the past. Plenty of them wear barmy army merchandise, but never exactly the same outfits like the Aussie lot. Its just weird. They also enjoy the experience whether winning or losing.

Good point about the soap dodging, or do they all have 5 of each exact same item?

They all wear the same caps with the same logo on. Makes me think their travel expenses are paid for by sponsorship.

All looks very weird

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Ashes 2023 on 10:52 - Jul 10 with 1023 viewsRangersw12

Ashes 2023 on 10:49 - Jul 10 by Hayesender

They all wear the same caps with the same logo on. Makes me think their travel expenses are paid for by sponsorship.

All looks very weird

They're dull as dishwater aswell

Just sit there without any attempt to make any atmosphere
Ashes 2023 on 10:53 - Jul 10 with 1015 viewsthame_hoops

Ashes 2023 on 10:49 - Jul 10 by Hayesender

All looks very weird

ha i was wondering if they get given loads of t-shirts. it looked good from a distance seeing a big block of yellow minions in the upper edrich.

Merv Hughes runs some tours, you usually see him sat with them all
Ashes 2023 on 11:34 - Jul 10 with 962 viewsTheChef

Ashes 2023 on 16:05 - Jul 9 by MedwayR

Now that we're back in the series I think it would be pretty silly not to bring Foakes in. But then anything is possible.

Bairstow really hasn't contributed that much with the bat either so he'll be lucky to keep his place. But he probably will.

Root should really be able to bat at 3.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Ashes 2023 on 11:43 - Jul 10 with 934 viewsSydneyRs

Ashes 2023 on 10:52 - Jul 10 by Rangersw12

They're dull as dishwater aswell

Just sit there without any attempt to make any atmosphere

Not even the stunningly bad "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, oi, oi, oi" garbage? That's their usual go to.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024