Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes 2023 16:47 - Jun 8 with 96201 viewsHoopstar

Ah the home Ashes series is almost upon us, my personal favourite sporting event (not down under, that's just generally depressing.) I need something big sporting wise to focus on and quit my worrying about QPR for a while.

Anyone going?

I was at the first day of the World Test Championship at the Oval yesterday. The Aussies looked in depressingly good nick with the bat and their pace attack appears as terrifying as ever.

I think it's going to be an exciting, tough, tense series that'll go down to the wire. I only managed to get tickets to the very final day of the Ashes on 31st July at the Oval, you never know.

I predict...

Crawley to average less than 20 with Duckett getting closer to mid 30s
Brook to really secure his position as an outstanding talent and mainstay of the team
Pope to struggle again~
Root, in what could be his last home Ashes, proving his worth again
Bairstow - haven't a clue which version turns up post broken foot

Broad - an Ashes too far? You'd be mad to write him or Jimmy off.
Robinson to nab Smith at least four times..
Ashes 2023 on 11:29 - Jul 11 with 2904 viewsSydneyRs

Wood talking about playing both remaining games. If he's able to do that it would certainly boost our chances.
Ashes 2023 on 11:36 - Jul 11 with 2858 viewsTheChef

Ashes 2023 on 11:29 - Jul 11 by SydneyRs

Wood talking about playing both remaining games. If he's able to do that it would certainly boost our chances.

For sure.

Just hope Bairstow doesn't cost us even more.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Ashes 2023 on 12:12 - Jul 11 with 2809 viewsdaveB

Ashes 2023 on 07:15 - Jul 11 by stowmarketrange

I was sitting by the pool in Spain watching Stokes win the test at headingly 4 years ago on my phone via Skygo.The rest of the family were in and out of the pool but I didn’t want to move in case I jinxed it.
It depends where you’re going but if it’s a tourist area you’ll find a bar showing sky sports to encourage the brits to spend their cash.

I had the same experience for that Headingly game, listened via TMS as they had the grand prix on that day instead of the cricket

I'm sure I'll find a bar showing it somewhere
Ashes 2023 on 09:23 - Jul 13 with 2646 viewsMrSheen

No relief for the West Indies. 150 all out on the first day, India 80/0 at the close. I see they have a Chanderpaul Jr opening the batting now...no pressure, son.
Ashes 2023 on 10:13 - Jul 13 with 2585 viewsjohnhoop

Ashes 2023 on 09:23 - Jul 13 by MrSheen

No relief for the West Indies. 150 all out on the first day, India 80/0 at the close. I see they have a Chanderpaul Jr opening the batting now...no pressure, son.

For those of us old enough to remember the great West Indies teams of the mid 1970’s to around the end of the last century it feels a bit sad to see what has become of their cricket and their National team now.
Apparently the popularity of the game has declined dramatically to the extent that many pitches are no longer in use, as basketball and other sports have taken over.
Mind you, they still managed to beat England the last couple of times we’ve been over there.
Ashes 2023 on 10:44 - Jul 13 with 2525 viewsDWQPR

Ashes 2023 on 10:13 - Jul 13 by johnhoop

For those of us old enough to remember the great West Indies teams of the mid 1970’s to around the end of the last century it feels a bit sad to see what has become of their cricket and their National team now.
Apparently the popularity of the game has declined dramatically to the extent that many pitches are no longer in use, as basketball and other sports have taken over.
Mind you, they still managed to beat England the last couple of times we’ve been over there.

Sadly it is more to do with T20. Test matches, unless it is England are very poorly attended, a man and his dog at best, and the grounds are only filled up with the Barmy Army. Antigua made a big mistake moving to the Viv Richards stadium built in the middle of nowhere, the Rec is now used for football. Should have remained as the main stadium for cricket, right in the middle of St Johns. The Shell Shield is again poorly attended and I suspect played by the lesser players. It is all about the money. Only about the money. T20 and the CPL is well attended, went to one match in St Lucia six years ago and the Darren Sammy Stadium was full. Great nights entertainment between the showers. It is so sad. Used to love watching test matches on TV in those ramshackle grounds, the locals taking advantage of any possible vantage point to watch, the smoke rising pre-lunch, with the jerk chicken cooking.

Greenidge
Fredericks
Richards
Kallicharan
Lloyd
Gomes
Murray
Holder
Holding
Roberts
Daniel

What a fantastic team. No sledging, no cheating, they just knew that they were going to win.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Ashes 2023 on 11:14 - Jul 13 with 2470 viewsrobith

Ashes 2023 on 10:44 - Jul 13 by DWQPR

Sadly it is more to do with T20. Test matches, unless it is England are very poorly attended, a man and his dog at best, and the grounds are only filled up with the Barmy Army. Antigua made a big mistake moving to the Viv Richards stadium built in the middle of nowhere, the Rec is now used for football. Should have remained as the main stadium for cricket, right in the middle of St Johns. The Shell Shield is again poorly attended and I suspect played by the lesser players. It is all about the money. Only about the money. T20 and the CPL is well attended, went to one match in St Lucia six years ago and the Darren Sammy Stadium was full. Great nights entertainment between the showers. It is so sad. Used to love watching test matches on TV in those ramshackle grounds, the locals taking advantage of any possible vantage point to watch, the smoke rising pre-lunch, with the jerk chicken cooking.

Greenidge
Fredericks
Richards
Kallicharan
Lloyd
Gomes
Murray
Holder
Holding
Roberts
Daniel

What a fantastic team. No sledging, no cheating, they just knew that they were going to win.

I met Alvin Kallicharan once - he was in the clubhouse after a charity match where I'd been playing on another pitch.

Someone asked him what had caused the decline in West Indies' cricket. He paused for a moment and said "......rum"
Ashes 2023 on 11:37 - Jul 13 with 2430 viewsMrSheen

Ashes 2023 on 10:44 - Jul 13 by DWQPR

Greenidge
Fredericks
Richards
Kallicharan
Lloyd
Gomes
Murray
Holder
Holding
Roberts
Daniel

Well, not cheating exactly, but if they were worried they might not win, perfectly happy to slow down the over rate to around 10 and bowl well above the batsman’s head, if not actually at it.

That team is a great reminder of just how fantastic their batsmen were, if in the shadow of their bowlers. Chuck in names like Haynes, Rowe, Richardson, Julian, King…they could bat all week.
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes 2023 on 12:53 - Jul 13 with 2346 viewsMatch82

Ashes 2023 on 21:55 - Jul 10 by Hooparoo

Don’t forget that Warner is Broad’s bunny which means we never get off to a good start so I think you need to leave him in. Anderson is not the bowler he once was so I hope he does get picked.

Should be another cracking match with it all still to play for. One of the closest series for a while with all outcomes still possible after 3 matches.

England need to win the 4th test mostly because I want them to, but also because this series has been so good that it deserves a 5th test with everything on the line
Ashes 2023 on 13:02 - Jul 13 with 2322 viewsrobith

Ashes 2023 on 12:53 - Jul 13 by Match82

England need to win the 4th test mostly because I want them to, but also because this series has been so good that it deserves a 5th test with everything on the line

I have day 4 Oval tickets I need an England win so so bad
Ashes 2023 on 14:30 - Jul 13 with 2248 viewsCiderwithRsie

Ashes 2023 on 11:37 - Jul 13 by MrSheen

Well, not cheating exactly, but if they were worried they might not win, perfectly happy to slow down the over rate to around 10 and bowl well above the batsman’s head, if not actually at it.

That team is a great reminder of just how fantastic their batsmen were, if in the shadow of their bowlers. Chuck in names like Haynes, Rowe, Richardson, Julian, King…they could bat all week.

Everyone (rightly) remembers their fast bowling, but I always remember that when you got, say Greenidge, out, you'd be celebrating right up to the moment Viv Richards would come striding out and you'd think "Oh, f*ck". This would continue until Dujon.

It's more than "a bit sad" btw, it's a warning of how a sport that was almost synonymous with a whole culture can more or less disappear if all the money is going the wrong way.

Much like football outside of the Premier League in this country.
Ashes 2023 on 03:32 - Jul 16 with 2031 viewsNov77

Just seen the weather forecast for this weeks test in Manchester.

Rain predicted for every day!
[Post edited 17 Jul 2023 11:57]

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes 2023 on 11:58 - Jul 17 with 1797 viewsNov77

As expected, Anderson in for Robinson, Moeen bats at number 3.

England: Ben Duckett, Zak Crawley, Moeen Ali, Joe Root, Harry Brook, Ben Stokes (c), Jonny Bairstow (wk), Chris Woakes, Mark Wood, Stuart Broad, James Anderson.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes 2023 on 12:30 - Jul 17 with 1748 viewsTheChef

Ashes 2023 on 11:58 - Jul 17 by Nov77

As expected, Anderson in for Robinson, Moeen bats at number 3.

England: Ben Duckett, Zak Crawley, Moeen Ali, Joe Root, Harry Brook, Ben Stokes (c), Jonny Bairstow (wk), Chris Woakes, Mark Wood, Stuart Broad, James Anderson.

Given the weather forecast we'll have to Bazball the hell out of this one!

Something like win the toss and insert them, bowl them out for 50; we make a quick 200; bowl them out for 50 again.

Simple

Ashes 2023 on 12:38 - Jul 17 with 1729 viewsGaryBannister86

Ashes 2023 on 12:30 - Jul 17 by TheChef

Given the weather forecast we'll have to Bazball the hell out of this one!

Something like win the toss and insert them, bowl them out for 50; we make a quick 200; bowl them out for 50 again.

Simple

Yes, it doesn't look great especially on the last two days.

I agree, winning the toss and inserting probably only hope of forcing a result looking at that. Problem is, haven't we won all three tosses so far? I know the Law of Averages actually says it is still 50/50, but.....

I really hope I am wrong but I am afraid Jimmy has finally lost that tiny bit of zip and won't be effective, even under cloudy skies on his home ground, and hoping for Mo to work at No.3 against Australia is surely just blind faith.

I am often wrong, which is my main hope.
Ashes 2023 on 12:46 - Jul 17 with 1694 viewsTheChef

I'll be amazed if there is any result really, unless the weather forecast ends up totally wrong.

Suffice to say the Aussies will be delighted with a draw to retain the Ashes.

Ashes 2023 on 12:53 - Jul 17 with 1655 viewsSydneyRs

Ashes 2023 on 12:38 - Jul 17 by GaryBannister86

Yes, it doesn't look great especially on the last two days.

I agree, winning the toss and inserting probably only hope of forcing a result looking at that. Problem is, haven't we won all three tosses so far? I know the Law of Averages actually says it is still 50/50, but.....

I really hope I am wrong but I am afraid Jimmy has finally lost that tiny bit of zip and won't be effective, even under cloudy skies on his home ground, and hoping for Mo to work at No.3 against Australia is surely just blind faith.

I am often wrong, which is my main hope.

During the Steve Waugh captaincy era, when they already had a far superior team to England, they won every toss in a six match ashes series. As if we didn't have enough problems already.
Ashes 2023 on 16:46 - Jul 17 with 1446 viewsBlackCrowe

Ashes 2023 on 12:46 - Jul 17 by TheChef

I'll be amazed if there is any result really, unless the weather forecast ends up totally wrong.

Suffice to say the Aussies will be delighted with a draw to retain the Ashes.

Forecast on the usually reliable Metcheck.com looks fine except sunday

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Ashes 2023 on 20:47 - Jul 17 with 1337 viewsHooparoo

I just want to see a good game without some of the BS that’s gone on. I’m all for a “friendly rivalry” but some of the comments and reactions we’ve seen (from both sides) is unhinged.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes 2023 on 20:56 - Jul 17 with 1307 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes 2023 on 20:47 - Jul 17 by Hooparoo

I just want to see a good game without some of the BS that’s gone on. I’m all for a “friendly rivalry” but some of the comments and reactions we’ve seen (from both sides) is unhinged.

I agree mate.I made the mistake of looking at the messages on the Sydney herald website and some of them weren’t very friendly or sensible at all.
It would’ve been interesting if Starc’s catch was the deciding factor in the 2nd test and we had won that test.Luckily it didn’t matter in the end.
Ashes 2023 on 00:32 - Jul 18 with 1244 viewsNov77

Friendly rivalry?

Ashes 2023 on 02:56 - Jul 18 with 2310 viewsSydneyRs

Ashes 2023 on 20:56 - Jul 17 by stowmarketrange

I agree mate.I made the mistake of looking at the messages on the Sydney herald website and some of them weren’t very friendly or sensible at all.
It would’ve been interesting if Starc’s catch was the deciding factor in the 2nd test and we had won that test.Luckily it didn’t matter in the end.

I think in general the English cricket support goes with good natured banter when it comes to the Aussies, particularly the barmy army who, while always wanting England to win, will respect the opposition. There certainly isn't usually the bitterness that often comes the other way. The chants to Steve Smith etc are typical football style stuff.

Obviously things got a bit silly at Lord's of all places, but that was a reaction to what I viewed as very unsportsmanlike behaviour but also typical of their win at all costs attitude. Within the rules, but a bit dodgy. Now they're doubling down on it, but what else are they going to do/say while the series is still on? I suspect you'll hear more honest opinions from some after they retire.

The media here revelled in that Lord's stuff, but I guarantee they'd see it differently if it had been done against them. Its not that long ago they were running news articles about someone doing a mankad dismissal in a game overseas not even involving Australia and questioning the spirit of it. Hypocrites.

There's a nasty undercurrent to some of the support here when it comes to England especially. Large parts of the media appear to be still stuck in the 1970s and this "smash the poms" attitude based on a notion that Australia are the battlers looked down upon by the English. Laughable these days given the funding they have. Yet most people you meet here are nothing like this. I've been at a few cricket games here and there's definitely an element of racism among a section of their support, and not just with England. Some of the comments I heard during games v Pakistan and West Indies were very revealing.

Even my in laws, who are the loveliest people, go silent and a bit sulky on the matter if England are beating Australia. A product of the constant anti English sentiment that is peddled in relation to the sport which would have been worse when they were young. It is easing up slowly as the country has become much more multicultural and the old "white Australia" attitudes that my wife says were still prominent when she was a kid become less and less relevant. There was a fair bit of unrest about Usman Khawaja, a muslim, among some of their support when he was first in the team as a young player and he's spoken about the racism he's encountered in the game here. I know England have had some of their own issues with this too.

I've lived here over 20 years now and the media childishness and obsession with England in particular has largely put me off the Ashes. Just boring seeing the same old nonsense every time. There is more to life than winning at sport, especially a sport where there's no consequence for losing. You just rock up every two years and have another go no matter how many times you get beaten. England did it for nearly 20 years up to 2005.

I never attended a cricket game until I lived here. Living in England I wasn't interested other than it was something that was on between football seasons, along with tennis. I've long since stopped reading comments about it on news sites here. The sooner some of those old attitudes die off, the better.
Ashes 2023 on 03:59 - Jul 18 with 2271 viewsHooparoo

Ashes 2023 on 02:56 - Jul 18 by SydneyRs

I think in general the English cricket support goes with good natured banter when it comes to the Aussies, particularly the barmy army who, while always wanting England to win, will respect the opposition. There certainly isn't usually the bitterness that often comes the other way. The chants to Steve Smith etc are typical football style stuff.

Obviously things got a bit silly at Lord's of all places, but that was a reaction to what I viewed as very unsportsmanlike behaviour but also typical of their win at all costs attitude. Within the rules, but a bit dodgy. Now they're doubling down on it, but what else are they going to do/say while the series is still on? I suspect you'll hear more honest opinions from some after they retire.

The media here revelled in that Lord's stuff, but I guarantee they'd see it differently if it had been done against them. Its not that long ago they were running news articles about someone doing a mankad dismissal in a game overseas not even involving Australia and questioning the spirit of it. Hypocrites.

There's a nasty undercurrent to some of the support here when it comes to England especially. Large parts of the media appear to be still stuck in the 1970s and this "smash the poms" attitude based on a notion that Australia are the battlers looked down upon by the English. Laughable these days given the funding they have. Yet most people you meet here are nothing like this. I've been at a few cricket games here and there's definitely an element of racism among a section of their support, and not just with England. Some of the comments I heard during games v Pakistan and West Indies were very revealing.

Even my in laws, who are the loveliest people, go silent and a bit sulky on the matter if England are beating Australia. A product of the constant anti English sentiment that is peddled in relation to the sport which would have been worse when they were young. It is easing up slowly as the country has become much more multicultural and the old "white Australia" attitudes that my wife says were still prominent when she was a kid become less and less relevant. There was a fair bit of unrest about Usman Khawaja, a muslim, among some of their support when he was first in the team as a young player and he's spoken about the racism he's encountered in the game here. I know England have had some of their own issues with this too.

I've lived here over 20 years now and the media childishness and obsession with England in particular has largely put me off the Ashes. Just boring seeing the same old nonsense every time. There is more to life than winning at sport, especially a sport where there's no consequence for losing. You just rock up every two years and have another go no matter how many times you get beaten. England did it for nearly 20 years up to 2005.

I never attended a cricket game until I lived here. Living in England I wasn't interested other than it was something that was on between football seasons, along with tennis. I've long since stopped reading comments about it on news sites here. The sooner some of those old attitudes die off, the better.

Good post mate and you make some interesting observations. For what it's worth I think both sides are guilty of making unnecessary insults and stupid comments and we all need to calm down a bit.

For the record, Aussies don't appreciate constantly being called "fcking convicts" which happened to me earlier in this very thread. The irony here is that the main nationality of the original convicts that settled Australia was of course English and you didn't come here to get a tan, you came here because England's prisons were overflowing. Here's something a lot of English people don't know - around 30% of the convicts that came to this country were Irish political prisoners who were sent to the other side of the world for the heinous crime of objecting to the rape, pillage and starvation inflicted on them by the British crown. Do they or their descendants deserve to be labeled as criminals?

There's idiots in every country and God knows we have our fair share for sure. We need to remember what unites us not divides us and most Aussies are grateful for the great things that we gained by being a commonwealth country - Westminster democracy, the rule of law and an independent judiciary and civil service to name just a few. It's no coincidence that most of the stable democracies in the world are the English speaking ones and I am proud to say that I'm a 7th generation descendant of a scared 17 year old Englishman from Stratford who was convicted and sent here for a term of 7 years for stealing a pair of trousers.

As I say to some of my mates who get all fired up and stupid about sport "It's only a bloody game for God's sake"

I hope I get to buy you a beer one day at an Aussie Rs knees up and I look forward to having some football to discuss instead of this spiteful Ashes series.

Cheers, Stu
[Post edited 18 Jul 2023 4:01]

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes 2023 on 04:27 - Jul 18 with 2259 viewsBrisbaneR

One of the things I noticed that was different when I arrived here was that just how widespread the interest was in cricket.
Growing up in London it was football...and everything else a distant second. Cricket was a sport for the posh boys as far as I knew, l knew literally no one who played or was interested (I know that isn't the case necessarily in the north of England).
When I got here one day cricket hooked me first with its flashy, primetime presentation and then I learned about and fell for Tests.
It is noticeable that pom bashing is still an acceptable form of racism here, but we give as good as we get, and it is generally good spirited. The latest round of noise is all part of the ongoing pantomime.
Ashes 2023 on 09:58 - Jul 18 with 2164 viewsSydneyRs

Ashes 2023 on 04:27 - Jul 18 by BrisbaneR

One of the things I noticed that was different when I arrived here was that just how widespread the interest was in cricket.
Growing up in London it was football...and everything else a distant second. Cricket was a sport for the posh boys as far as I knew, l knew literally no one who played or was interested (I know that isn't the case necessarily in the north of England).
When I got here one day cricket hooked me first with its flashy, primetime presentation and then I learned about and fell for Tests.
It is noticeable that pom bashing is still an acceptable form of racism here, but we give as good as we get, and it is generally good spirited. The latest round of noise is all part of the ongoing pantomime.

Very true and my experience also. When I first came here backpacking almost every Aussie you would meet would be "how about the cricket?" when I really had no interest having grown up in London obsessed with football and always seeing cricket as an elitist sport. Nobody played it at school apart from a handful of kids that were in cricket clubs. Never set foot in a cricket ground until I came to live here permanently even though Lord's and the Oval with all their history were in the city I lived in.

Here its very different. During summer its the only popular sport on here (apart from two weeks when people pretend to care about tennis because there's not much else to do in the school summer holidays!) and everyone seems interested to some degree. Far more broadly popular.

I too used to watch a lot of those one day games that seemed to be on almost every night in January when I first lived here. But the novelty wore off and with endless choices of what to watch these days I rarely see any of it and have no patience for the ridiculously long ad breaks on commercial TV channels.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2023 11:49]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024