Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes 2023 16:47 - Jun 8 with 90092 viewsHoopstar

Ah the home Ashes series is almost upon us, my personal favourite sporting event (not down under, that's just generally depressing.) I need something big sporting wise to focus on and quit my worrying about QPR for a while.

Anyone going?

I was at the first day of the World Test Championship at the Oval yesterday. The Aussies looked in depressingly good nick with the bat and their pace attack appears as terrifying as ever.

I think it's going to be an exciting, tough, tense series that'll go down to the wire. I only managed to get tickets to the very final day of the Ashes on 31st July at the Oval, you never know.

I predict...

Crawley to average less than 20 with Duckett getting closer to mid 30s
Brook to really secure his position as an outstanding talent and mainstay of the team
Pope to struggle again~
Root, in what could be his last home Ashes, proving his worth again
Bairstow - haven't a clue which version turns up post broken foot

Broad - an Ashes too far? You'd be mad to write him or Jimmy off.
Robinson to nab Smith at least four times..
Ashes 2023 on 17:21 - Jul 19 with 1924 viewsflynnbo

Ashes 2023 on 17:19 - Jul 19 by terryb

Am I right in thinking that Stuart Broad now has 600 test wickets?

Yep.
Ashes 2023 on 17:29 - Jul 19 with 1892 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes 2023 on 09:04 - Jul 19 by CamberleyR

It was fast bowler Jimmy Ormond. Top sledge that.

One of the Aussie players told Stuart Broad a few years ago that he’d shagged his sister and would that make them brothers?No said Broad,that would make us even.
Ashes 2023 on 17:50 - Jul 19 with 1849 viewsQPRMendoza

Two of the all-time best sledges:

During a one-day match between Australia and Zimbabwe in 1996, McGrath was becoming increasingly frustrated with Brandes’ attempts at the big heave-ho outside off-stump. After several play-and-misses, McGrath looked big Eddo up and politely enquired: “Why are you so fat?” As quick-as-a-flash, Brandes retorted: “Because every time I make love to your wife she gives me a biscuit.”

After playing-and-missing at a number of his deliveries in a county game in England, Thomas sarcastically told Richards: “It’s red, round and weighs about five ounces, in case you were wondering.” Richards proceeded to hit the next ball out of the ground and calmly replied: “You know what it looks like, now you go and find it.”
Ashes 2023 on 17:56 - Jul 19 with 1833 viewsCheshireR

Mrs Chesh is at Old Trafford today and has spotted and been chatting to former Aussie 90's R Andrew McDermott.
Ashes 2023 on 18:16 - Jul 19 with 1796 viewsdenhamhoop2

Ashes 2023 on 10:24 - Jul 19 by Hooparoo

Travis Head bowls off spin and Smith started his career as a leg spinner. Spin doesn’t win you matches in England fast seam and swing bowlers do. And all this talk of Australia only need a draw, we always play to win not draw.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2023 10:25]

While picking a team comprising of 3 front line bowlers and 2 part time bowlers love the fact an Aussie thinks Travis Head can be seen as senior spinner with his 9 Test Wickets think Kevin Pietersen might actually have taken more Test wickets and if England had picked him as the main spinner in Australia would expect England to see a Dust bowl greeting them
Ashes 2023 on 18:33 - Jul 19 with 1786 viewsMedwayR

Ashes 2023 on 17:50 - Jul 19 by QPRMendoza

During a one-day match between Australia and Zimbabwe in 1996, McGrath was becoming increasingly frustrated with Brandes’ attempts at the big heave-ho outside off-stump. After several play-and-misses, McGrath looked big Eddo up and politely enquired: “Why are you so fat?” As quick-as-a-flash, Brandes retorted: “Because every time I make love to your wife she gives me a biscuit.”

After playing-and-missing at a number of his deliveries in a county game in England, Thomas sarcastically told Richards: “It’s red, round and weighs about five ounces, in case you were wondering.” Richards proceeded to hit the next ball out of the ground and calmly replied: “You know what it looks like, now you go and find it.”

Didn't one of the Aussies once ask Botham "How's your wife and my kids?" to which Botham replied "The wife's alright, the kids are a bit retarded though" or is that a myth???

Poll: Who’s better?

Ashes 2023 on 18:38 - Jul 19 with 1774 viewsRangersw12

Just about England's day

A massive missed opportunity by the Aussies who could have batted us out of the series
Ashes 2023 on 18:48 - Jul 19 with 1753 viewsrbee

So by lunch tomorrow the Aussies will have got 348 and we shall be 84 for 4
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes 2023 on 21:25 - Jul 19 with 1584 viewsAntti_Heinola

The first one is so old I think WG Grace claimed to be the first to say it.

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 21:57 - Jul 19 with 1547 viewshamptonhillhoop

Ashes 2023 on 18:33 - Jul 19 by MedwayR

Didn't one of the Aussies once ask Botham "How's your wife and my kids?" to which Botham replied "The wife's alright, the kids are a bit retarded though" or is that a myth???

I have heard that one before. The Aussie concerned when I heard it was Rod Marsh
Ashes 2023 on 22:23 - Jul 19 with 1506 viewsHooparoo

Ashes 2023 on 18:16 - Jul 19 by denhamhoop2

While picking a team comprising of 3 front line bowlers and 2 part time bowlers love the fact an Aussie thinks Travis Head can be seen as senior spinner with his 9 Test Wickets think Kevin Pietersen might actually have taken more Test wickets and if England had picked him as the main spinner in Australia would expect England to see a Dust bowl greeting them

Head and Smith are “part time” spin options only as the simple reality is that we have no one as good as Lyon. If you win the series, Lyon’s calf will be a big reason why.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes 2023 on 09:21 - Jul 20 with 1396 viewsrobith

Ashes 2023 on 17:06 - Jul 19 by w7r

Excellent catch - Bairstow's partial redemption for previous cock-ups.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2023 17:09]

Nah, keepers are meant to catch the ball. We're still about net 300 runs down on his drops this series
Ashes 2023 on 09:27 - Jul 20 with 1387 viewsrobith

I always liked when KP was tonking Aus around in the ODIs before the 05 Ashes. He edged a ball, and Michael Clarke shouted "why won't you just get out??" at him.

Clarke had recently been through a high profile divorce and KP lent forward and said "Ah, you're just sad because nobody loves you" and apparently even Punter and Warnie were creasing in the slips
Ashes 2023 on 09:36 - Jul 20 with 1367 viewsTheChef

Big day today (aren't they all?).

Need to finish off the Aussies quickly and then bat well the rest of the day, ideally get a big first innings lead. One ton required from somebody, preferably two.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Ashes 2023 on 09:52 - Jul 20 with 1334 viewsSydneyRs

I seem to recall McGrath fired up big time when he asked a West Indies player "what does Brian Lara's c*ck taste like?" and got the response "ask your wife".
Ashes 2023 on 10:04 - Jul 20 with 1315 viewsE17hoop

Ashes 2023 on 09:52 - Jul 20 by SydneyRs

I seem to recall McGrath fired up big time when he asked a West Indies player "what does Brian Lara's c*ck taste like?" and got the response "ask your wife".

Mind the windows Tino

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

Ashes 2023 on 10:05 - Jul 20 with 1314 viewsdaveB

Ashes 2023 on 09:36 - Jul 20 by TheChef

Big day today (aren't they all?).

Need to finish off the Aussies quickly and then bat well the rest of the day, ideally get a big first innings lead. One ton required from somebody, preferably two.

Thats the ideal but think it will be close and England will need the rain forecast to be better than it sounds

If we can get ahead with the bat today and give ourselves a chaseable target on day 5 that would be a good effort.

Aussies I thought were playing time a lot yesterday to reduce our chances, didn't seem to want to score runs in that last hour
(No subject) (n/t) on 10:11 - Jul 20 with 1301 viewsR_from_afar

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Ashes 2023 on 10:12 - Jul 20 with 1301 viewsR_from_afar

Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

My favourite is the Merv Hughes / Javed Miandad exchange and here, Merv gives us his version of the story:

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Ashes 2023 on 10:19 - Jul 20 with 1292 viewsHooparoo

You’ll all be pleased to know that the headline in the Aussie media this morning was “Bairstow’s beautiful catch” Credit where’s its due, it was a great catch. Might be a game defining moment

Ashes 2023 on 10:49 - Jul 20 with 1257 viewsrobith

Ashes 2023 on 10:19 - Jul 20 by Hooparoo

You’ll all be pleased to know that the headline in the Aussie media this morning was “Bairstow’s beautiful catch” Credit where’s its due, it was a great catch. Might be a game defining moment

psyop to keep England picking him
Ashes 2023 on 11:03 - Jul 20 with 1233 viewsHooparoo

Ashes 2023 on 10:49 - Jul 20 by robith

psyop to keep England picking him

Ha ha

Ashes 2023 on 14:13 - Jul 20 with 1152 viewsToast_R

Nice early tonne between Ali and Crawley. Things looking up at the moment.

The weather forecast is a worry for the second innings
Ashes 2023 on 15:58 - Jul 20 with 1099 viewsRangersw12

Excellent so far by England and on course for a big lead which will be crucial to pushing for a win
Ashes 2023 on 15:58 - Jul 20 with 1099 viewsHoopstar

What a knock from Crawley. Such an awesome player to watch when he gets going - hope this is the start of the making of him as an England player as he has all the ability in the world. He's dismissed my prediction of his averaging less than 20 this series anyway.

Sessions couldn't go much better than that - 7.12 an over off 25 overs! Just what we needed.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024