Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes 2023 16:47 - Jun 8 with 96200 viewsHoopstar

Ah the home Ashes series is almost upon us, my personal favourite sporting event (not down under, that's just generally depressing.) I need something big sporting wise to focus on and quit my worrying about QPR for a while.

Anyone going?

I was at the first day of the World Test Championship at the Oval yesterday. The Aussies looked in depressingly good nick with the bat and their pace attack appears as terrifying as ever.

I think it's going to be an exciting, tough, tense series that'll go down to the wire. I only managed to get tickets to the very final day of the Ashes on 31st July at the Oval, you never know.

I predict...

Crawley to average less than 20 with Duckett getting closer to mid 30s
Brook to really secure his position as an outstanding talent and mainstay of the team
Pope to struggle again~
Root, in what could be his last home Ashes, proving his worth again
Bairstow - haven't a clue which version turns up post broken foot

Broad - an Ashes too far? You'd be mad to write him or Jimmy off.
Robinson to nab Smith at least four times..
Ashes 2023 on 12:50 - Jul 10 with 1824 viewsTheChef

Ashes 2023 on 12:14 - Jul 10 by CamberleyR

According to this and my reckoning, Bairstow's missed catches and stumping have cost 100 runs.

Just 63 runs in his last five innings after his 78 in the first innings at Edgbaston. Not sure Foakes would have done worse than that as he can certainly bat given his average of 32 from 20 tests with two centuries.

https://wisden.com/series-stories/ashes-2023/ashes-2023-how-much-every-dropped-c
[Post edited 10 Jul 2023 12:24]

Never mind runs with the bat, what about runs saved through catches taken, stumpings made and saved extras?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Ashes 2023 on 13:04 - Jul 10 with 1804 viewsqpr1976

Ashes 2023 on 11:34 - Jul 10 by TheChef

Now that we're back in the series I think it would be pretty silly not to bring Foakes in. But then anything is possible.

Bairstow really hasn't contributed that much with the bat either so he'll be lucky to keep his place. But he probably will.

Root should really be able to bat at 3.

He can and has.
But he’s much better at 4 as his stats prove.

Why would anyone want to hamper our highest ranking and best batsman in the biggest Test series ?
Why can’t Bairstow bat at 3, giving Foakes the gloves ??
Ashes 2023 on 13:16 - Jul 10 with 1760 viewsTheChef

Ashes 2023 on 13:04 - Jul 10 by qpr1976

He can and has.

Why would anyone want to hamper our highest ranking and best batsman in the biggest Test series ?

Some suggestions that you could even have Stokes at 3, which might not be a bad thing.

Ashes 2023 on 13:22 - Jul 10 with 1740 viewsBlackAndGoldRanger

Ashes 2023 on 13:04 - Jul 10 by qpr1976

He can and has.

Yep that's my theory too. Bairstow has a significantly better average playing solely as a batsman, but not at 3 that I'm aware of.
Let's hope Foakes scores some runs today to back up his case.
Probably see Robinson dropping out for OT with Jimmy to come back. My XI would be:
Crawley
Duckett
Bairstow
Root
Brook
Stokes
Foakes
Woakes
Wood
Broad
Anderson

Hopefully Stokes can bowl and a little bit of Root. If we play a spinner I would put Liam Dawson in, but England won't select him.
Ashes 2023 on 13:25 - Jul 10 with 1732 viewsTheChef

Ashes 2023 on 13:22 - Jul 10 by BlackAndGoldRanger

Yep that's my theory too. Bairstow has a significantly better average playing solely as a batsman, but not at 3 that I'm aware of.
Let's hope Foakes scores some runs today to back up his case.
Probably see Robinson dropping out for OT with Jimmy to come back. My XI would be:
Crawley
Duckett
Bairstow
Root
Brook
Stokes
Foakes
Woakes
Wood
Broad
Anderson

Hopefully Stokes can bowl and a little bit of Root. If we play a spinner I would put Liam Dawson in, but England won't select him.

Need a spinner at OT so Ali has to play.

Ashes 2023 on 13:31 - Jul 10 with 1707 viewsBlackAndGoldRanger

Ashes 2023 on 13:25 - Jul 10 by TheChef

Need a spinner at OT so Ali has to play.

Yeah its always a risk with no spinner. Don't think Woakes/Wood can be dropped after Headingly so guess Broad or Anderson won't play.
Ashes 2023 on 13:41 - Jul 10 with 1666 viewsAntti_Heinola

I think Anderson *might* come in, but can't see them resting Broad, he's been fantastic, and now has a rest in between tests. Stokes didn't seem convinced by Ali at 3 in the interview afterwards. I'd like Foakes in, but it's not going to happen. Doubt Stokes will bowl, which means similar side to last time, with Anderson or Tongue in for Robinson. Anderson after a rest and on his home ground might get the nod? Although, Stokes also said about Woakes 'if he gets another chance in the series I'm sure he'll be great' - which didn't sound particularly great for Woakes, so maybe both will play. All good choices, luckily. The really big one is who plays at 3. I think it might end up being Root.

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 14:47 - Jul 10 with 1575 viewsrobith

Ashes 2023 on 12:25 - Jul 10 by Antti_Heinola

The difference in comms is interesting. I think the ads are not too bad on Sky, and are not ruinously regular: even at the end of the game they stayed with it for quite a while without cutting away to allow for some reaction.

Don't think it's vulgar either: I think the analysis and explanations and masterclasses are fabulous, although it is difficult/impossible to do a lot of that on the radio.

In terms of individuals, Sky are kind of in a transtition: losing Botham wasn't a blow - he barely seemed to care anymore; ditching Gower was done too early and they could do with him back in the comms box, if not presenting; losing Bumble was unavoidable, but they lost a real character there; Holding was an absolute joy; and Warne was getting better and better and would have been an outstanding, funny, incisive and fascinating commentator for years. So sad. You can't replace that. So they had huge turnover in a very short space of time.

However, Nass and Athers have always been excellent in their analysis and continue to be. I really like Sangakarra (sexiest commentator on TV for me, and I'm straight); and Taylor has been a decent addition. I really like Mark Butcher, but KP is woeful. Eoin Morgan has potential if he wants to stick at it, and will be excellent in the one dayers where his insight is second to none (surely, though, he'll move to coaching the one day side in a few years). Ward is ok. Ponting, annoyingly, is decent. Mel Jones is also really good. But they let a good one go in Ebony Rainsford-Brent.

I also love TMS, particularly Tuffers, Cook, Isa, Ebs and Zaltz is the best for stats - really wish he was on Sky. But I find Aggers utterly insufferable and thin-skinned and Vaughan is just cricket's version of Chris Sutton. McGrath is dreadful, a personality-free zone.

I'm a TMS ultra but Aggers and Vaughan have been borderline unlistenable this series
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes 2023 on 14:50 - Jul 10 with 1572 viewsrobith

Was at Headingley yesterday, one of the best day's sport I've ever been at.

Thought Cummins was far too generous with his fields - England finally took the initiative of "if they're setting conservative fields, rinse the 1s & 2s".

Pandemonium when Wood hit the 6.

Also really enjoyed spending the whole day griefing Todd Murphy
Ashes 2023 on 14:55 - Jul 10 with 1545 viewsthame_hoops

Are you all forgetting about Josh tongue? I think he might come in to the team for Robinson, not Anderson. Unless the ball is going to swing.

I’m glad others are not fans of Glenn McGrath either. To me, he doesn’t offer anything but a biased contrary opinion (even if he doesn’t believe it himself) to play up to his 5-0 character. His take on that catch by Cummings at Lord’s, was one of the weirdest takes I’ve heard.
Ashes 2023 on 15:04 - Jul 10 with 1504 viewsPhilmyRs

Ashes 2023 on 13:41 - Jul 10 by Antti_Heinola

I think Anderson *might* come in, but can't see them resting Broad, he's been fantastic, and now has a rest in between tests. Stokes didn't seem convinced by Ali at 3 in the interview afterwards. I'd like Foakes in, but it's not going to happen. Doubt Stokes will bowl, which means similar side to last time, with Anderson or Tongue in for Robinson. Anderson after a rest and on his home ground might get the nod? Although, Stokes also said about Woakes 'if he gets another chance in the series I'm sure he'll be great' - which didn't sound particularly great for Woakes, so maybe both will play. All good choices, luckily. The really big one is who plays at 3. I think it might end up being Root.

Think Root at 3 is the only logical option. Would bring Anderson for Robinson although would be seriously tempted to put Tongue in there instead. Anderson one of the best bowlers we've had but he's not moving it or zipping it through like he used to. If it had been Trent Bridge he'd been in my side all day given his record but Old Trafford, although his home ground, it's decent carry there and spins later so Tongue's extra bounce would be useful. Big call not to bring Jimmy back for his home ground but I would seriously think about it.

Think the big decision is Wood. I don't think there's any way Wood can play OT and the Oval. For me, I'd do everything to try and win next game and not look ahead to the Oval which means playing Wood but we would miss out on his skills at the Oval which would be very useful so a Tongue Anderson change for Robinson and Wood isn't the worst move in the world if we took a gamble and allow Wood a decent rest period but ashes may be gone by then.
Ashes 2023 on 15:28 - Jul 10 with 1435 viewsthame_hoops

Ashes 2023 on 15:04 - Jul 10 by PhilmyRs

Think Root at 3 is the only logical option. Would bring Anderson for Robinson although would be seriously tempted to put Tongue in there instead. Anderson one of the best bowlers we've had but he's not moving it or zipping it through like he used to. If it had been Trent Bridge he'd been in my side all day given his record but Old Trafford, although his home ground, it's decent carry there and spins later so Tongue's extra bounce would be useful. Big call not to bring Jimmy back for his home ground but I would seriously think about it.

Think the big decision is Wood. I don't think there's any way Wood can play OT and the Oval. For me, I'd do everything to try and win next game and not look ahead to the Oval which means playing Wood but we would miss out on his skills at the Oval which would be very useful so a Tongue Anderson change for Robinson and Wood isn't the worst move in the world if we took a gamble and allow Wood a decent rest period but ashes may be gone by then.

Agree, we have to be in Win now mode. Remember on the last ashes trip away, we got too clever resting/rotating the bowlers, waiting for the pink ball test. I understand that was a different coach obviously
Ashes 2023 on 15:32 - Jul 10 with 1436 viewsrobith

Ashes 2023 on 14:55 - Jul 10 by thame_hoops

Are you all forgetting about Josh tongue? I think he might come in to the team for Robinson, not Anderson. Unless the ball is going to swing.

I’m glad others are not fans of Glenn McGrath either. To me, he doesn’t offer anything but a biased contrary opinion (even if he doesn’t believe it himself) to play up to his 5-0 character. His take on that catch by Cummings at Lord’s, was one of the weirdest takes I’ve heard.

It's an interesting challenge here for England. Anderson back for Old Trafford is a sentimental call. Tongue, Wood, Woakes, Broad and Ali is going to take 20 wickets and contribute decently with the bat. If England want to be ruthless, Tongue for Robinson is the call imo
Ashes 2023 on 16:05 - Jul 10 with 1404 viewsAntti_Heinola

Yeah, I think assuming he's fit, Wood has to play. If it was 1-1 or we were 2-1 up, maybe save him, but right now the Oval should not be in anyone's thoughts. Pick the best fit team to win the next match, and Wood will be in it unless injured.
I then personally think if he's feeling ok, he'll play at the Oval too if it's 2-2 or 2-1 still. If Aussies make it 3-1, no point risking him.

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 16:09 - Jul 10 with 1393 viewsdaveB

Ashes 2023 on 15:32 - Jul 10 by robith

It's an interesting challenge here for England. Anderson back for Old Trafford is a sentimental call. Tongue, Wood, Woakes, Broad and Ali is going to take 20 wickets and contribute decently with the bat. If England want to be ruthless, Tongue for Robinson is the call imo

Yeah I wouldn't bring Anderson back, he's not looked anywhere near his old self this series
Ashes 2023 on 16:20 - Jul 10 with 1373 viewseastside_r

Ashes 2023 on 16:09 - Jul 10 by daveB

Yeah I wouldn't bring Anderson back, he's not looked anywhere near his old self this series

Come on Dave, where's your sense of romance?

Jimmy Anderson bustling in from the Jimmy Anderson End in his last Ashes series - it's got to happen!
Ashes 2023 on 16:22 - Jul 10 with 1366 viewsTheChef

Ashes 2023 on 16:20 - Jul 10 by eastside_r

Jimmy Anderson bustling in from the Jimmy Anderson End in his last Ashes series - it's got to happen!

No room for sentiment if you want to win the Ashes.

On form, probably bring Tongue back in. But that would add to the workload for Broad and Woakes, unless Stokes can chip in with a few overs too.

But not an issue if we can bowl them out in both innings within 50 overs

Ashes 2023 on 16:44 - Jul 10 with 1294 viewsBenny_the_Ball

It's a big call to drop Wood after his performance with ball and bat at Headingly. Given that the players have 9 days rest until OT, I think that he can play both. If England were leading the series I could see the logic in resting. However, with the series already on the line, I don't think England can afford to rest their form players.
Ashes 2023 on 20:57 - Jul 10 with 1205 viewsSuperhoops2808

Ashes 2023 on 13:31 - Jul 10 by BlackAndGoldRanger

Yeah its always a risk with no spinner. Don't think Woakes/Wood can be dropped after Headingly so guess Broad or Anderson won't play.

Woods no

But Woakes can easily be dropped. See Josh Tongue as a perfect example. They said at the start of the series bowlers would be rotated as required and to suit conditions
Ashes 2023 on 21:39 - Jul 10 with 1154 viewsHunterhoop

You can’t drop Woakes. He is bowling too well, but also he adds balance with the bat at 8. Tongue, Anderson, Robinson, Wood, and Broad are all 9s, 10s or 11s. If one of them is at 8, the tail is too long and look at this Test and see the value there was with a bloke who can bat at 8.

I would bring Anderson in for Broad and Foakes for Bairstow. Tongue might have been bowling better than Anderson recently, but I’m not sure in the key moments of a critical test his pedigree is yet proven. He’s a mid-80s Div 2 bowler in form. He may well become a lot better. I hope he does. And I may be wrong. But I think for this Test, with the series poised as it is, at Old Trafford, I think I’d pick Anderson. The crowd will buy him at least one wicket.
Ashes 2023 on 21:55 - Jul 10 with 1127 viewsHooparoo

Ashes 2023 on 21:39 - Jul 10 by Hunterhoop

You can’t drop Woakes. He is bowling too well, but also he adds balance with the bat at 8. Tongue, Anderson, Robinson, Wood, and Broad are all 9s, 10s or 11s. If one of them is at 8, the tail is too long and look at this Test and see the value there was with a bloke who can bat at 8.

I would bring Anderson in for Broad and Foakes for Bairstow. Tongue might have been bowling better than Anderson recently, but I’m not sure in the key moments of a critical test his pedigree is yet proven. He’s a mid-80s Div 2 bowler in form. He may well become a lot better. I hope he does. And I may be wrong. But I think for this Test, with the series poised as it is, at Old Trafford, I think I’d pick Anderson. The crowd will buy him at least one wicket.

Don’t forget that Warner is Broad’s bunny which means we never get off to a good start so I think you need to leave him in. Anderson is not the bowler he once was so I hope he does get picked.

Should be another cracking match with it all still to play for. One of the closest series for a while with all outcomes still possible after 3 matches.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes 2023 on 22:07 - Jul 10 with 3196 viewsdaveB

Ashes 2023 on 16:20 - Jul 10 by eastside_r

I know and it would be a great end to his career but if your picking the best team to win this test I'm not sure he's in it.

I just hope we win it in 3 days as I'm on holiday from the Saturday and doubt they show cricket in spain
[Post edited 10 Jul 2023 22:09]
Ashes 2023 on 22:36 - Jul 10 with 3148 viewsnumptydumpty

Tongue Broad Woakes Wood the four seamers

Jimmy at OT is the fairytale but fairytales don't always end happily ever after..

Think Stokes likes Bairstow but I would replace him with Foakes myself.

Ali I don't think can be the number three but he is the best option for spin.

But for me and again showing my Surrey hat, I would play Will Jack's coming in at three and can spin a bit as of course can Root.with Brook at five.

But I fully expect Moeen Ali to be selected as he is the safe choice.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2023 22:37]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Ashes 2023 on 07:15 - Jul 11 with 3056 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes 2023 on 22:07 - Jul 10 by daveB

I know and it would be a great end to his career but if your picking the best team to win this test I'm not sure he's in it.

I just hope we win it in 3 days as I'm on holiday from the Saturday and doubt they show cricket in spain
[Post edited 10 Jul 2023 22:09]

I was sitting by the pool in Spain watching Stokes win the test at headingly 4 years ago on my phone via Skygo.The rest of the family were in and out of the pool but I didn’t want to move in case I jinxed it.
It depends where you’re going but if it’s a tourist area you’ll find a bar showing sky sports to encourage the brits to spend their cash.
Ashes 2023 on 11:21 - Jul 11 with 2971 viewsBlackAndGoldRanger

No Foakes. England must like dropping catches behind the wicket. Same squad.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024