Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Top 3 worst signings by Saints 00:27 - Jul 1 with 1729 viewsPatfromPoole

1. Onuachu
2. Carillo
3. Speedie

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 01:09 - Jul 1 with 1702 viewsLondonSaint76

May I respectfully suggest that Imants Bleidelis qualifies for an honourable mention. I can remember Speedie’s home debut, after about 10 mins he got tackled, not unfairly, and went down like a shot deer, loads of people around me on the West Stand bench seats were yelling at him get up you cheating @@@@ as if he was still playing for the opposition…

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 07:30 - Jul 1 with 1622 viewscocklebreath

Carrillo
Ely
Bazanu

I could go on and on.
Ely could be top because he played so many in effective games

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 08:21 - Jul 1 with 1589 viewsPatfromPoole

Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 01:09 - Jul 1 by LondonSaint76

May I respectfully suggest that Imants Bleidelis qualifies for an honourable mention. I can remember Speedie’s home debut, after about 10 mins he got tackled, not unfairly, and went down like a shot deer, loads of people around me on the West Stand bench seats were yelling at him get up you cheating @@@@ as if he was still playing for the opposition…

Bleidelis used to be Pahars’ snooker opponent of an afternoon, so if he kept Marian happy it was arguably all good.

Speedie was just horrible. Can recommend Micky Adams’ excellent autobiography for a very good account of the ruck between Hurlock and Speedie in Jersey.

Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 08:23 - Jul 1 with 1588 viewsPatfromPoole

The particularly galling thing about Speedie was that he was effectively part of the deal that took Shearer to Blackburn.

Speedie never wanted to play for us, and it showed.

Think he’s a football agent now. Seems appropriate somehow.

Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 09:12 - Jul 1 with 1543 views1teeminants

1.Orsic

2. Vergard Forren

3. Kleber Chala

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 09:14 - Jul 1 with 1537 viewsPatfromPoole

Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 09:12 - Jul 1 by 1teeminants

1.Orsic

2. Vergard Forren

3. Kleber Chala

Chala was Delgado’s mate, so it was all good.

Oh……

Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 11:31 - Jul 1 with 1462 viewsRon11

Steve De Ridder
Jos Hooiveld
Pele
And lets not forget 'Tugboat' Paul Telfer....
Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 12:02 - Jul 1 with 1447 viewsPatfromPoole

Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 11:31 - Jul 1 by Ron11

Steve De Ridder
Jos Hooiveld
Pele
And lets not forget 'Tugboat' Paul Telfer....

Hooiveld and Fonte were a pretty good CB partnership in the team that got us promoted to the Prem, I thought.

And I thought Telfer was OK; we could do now with somebody versatile like he was.

Login to get fewer ads

Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 12:13 - Jul 1 with 1440 viewsRon11

Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 12:02 - Jul 1 by PatfromPoole

Hooiveld and Fonte were a pretty good CB partnership in the team that got us promoted to the Prem, I thought.

And I thought Telfer was OK; we could do now with somebody versatile like he was.

Yes, it was a bit tongue in cheek, didn't Hooiveld have the record with five or six own goals? And as I recall Pele's shirt pulling antics in the box help to get us relegated?
Telfer was steady but a bit indecisive I thought...none in compare to the likes of Carillo of course.
Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 12:25 - Jul 1 with 1432 viewsPatfromPoole

Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 12:13 - Jul 1 by Ron11

Yes, it was a bit tongue in cheek, didn't Hooiveld have the record with five or six own goals? And as I recall Pele's shirt pulling antics in the box help to get us relegated?
Telfer was steady but a bit indecisive I thought...none in compare to the likes of Carillo of course.

Pele gave away a daft pen against Derby in the play-offs, if memory serves…..

Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 14:23 - Jul 1 with 1374 viewsLondonSaint76

Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 08:21 - Jul 1 by PatfromPoole

Bleidelis used to be Pahars’ snooker opponent of an afternoon, so if he kept Marian happy it was arguably all good.

Speedie was just horrible. Can recommend Micky Adams’ excellent autobiography for a very good account of the ruck between Hurlock and Speedie in Jersey.

Good point re keeping Marian happy, he was a great little player for us so if IB kept him happy then I will stand his nomination down. Speedie was truly obnoxious in every way and as you say having him as a part of Shearer’s move to Blackburn made it an even more bitter pill to swallow.
I will seek out the MA autobiography, thanks for the tip. Hurlock was certainly what they term as a character, putting it mildly. Don’t know if this is a true story, but I heard somewhere that when he heard Saints were serious about signing him he drove down to Southampton from Glasgow in a Del Boy 3 wheeler.
My favourite memory of Hurlock was after the last game of the 91/92 season at Highbury somehow the London Saints Supporters Club managed to persuade the team coach to stop off at a bar in Hornsey where the entire 1st team including Shearer and Matt Le Tiss joined us for a few post match beers. Despite a 5-1 thumping we all had a good time - Hurlock was buying every Saints fan a beer and then another. We had one of the two bars shut off so it was only London Saints & the players in that particular bar. They stayed about an hour and a half and Hurlock must have spent about half a week’s wages on us that afternoon. How things have changed in the 30 years since….

Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 15:25 - Jul 1 with 1346 viewsRon11

Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 12:25 - Jul 1 by PatfromPoole

Pele gave away a daft pen against Derby in the play-offs, if memory serves…..

Yes that was it, shirt pull resulting in a penalty that lost Saints the game and a chance of promotion, not relegation.
Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 16:55 - Jul 1 with 1314 viewsPatfromPoole

Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 14:23 - Jul 1 by LondonSaint76

Good point re keeping Marian happy, he was a great little player for us so if IB kept him happy then I will stand his nomination down. Speedie was truly obnoxious in every way and as you say having him as a part of Shearer’s move to Blackburn made it an even more bitter pill to swallow.
I will seek out the MA autobiography, thanks for the tip. Hurlock was certainly what they term as a character, putting it mildly. Don’t know if this is a true story, but I heard somewhere that when he heard Saints were serious about signing him he drove down to Southampton from Glasgow in a Del Boy 3 wheeler.
My favourite memory of Hurlock was after the last game of the 91/92 season at Highbury somehow the London Saints Supporters Club managed to persuade the team coach to stop off at a bar in Hornsey where the entire 1st team including Shearer and Matt Le Tiss joined us for a few post match beers. Despite a 5-1 thumping we all had a good time - Hurlock was buying every Saints fan a beer and then another. We had one of the two bars shut off so it was only London Saints & the players in that particular bar. They stayed about an hour and a half and Hurlock must have spent about half a week’s wages on us that afternoon. How things have changed in the 30 years since….

I went to that 5-1 game. A late collapse, if memory serves.

Not an uncommon trend over the years……

Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 17:24 - Jul 1 with 1302 viewsSonicBoom

God worse ever signings, how long have we got.
I'd say pretty much anyone that we pay our record fee for usually turns out to be a waste of money.
Delgado?
Osvaldo?
Plus loads of random foreigners that came and went and we can't remember any of them.
Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 18:49 - Jul 1 with 1258 viewscotswoldsaint

Not sure many people on here will remember a certain FRANK SAUL has to be right up there with the worst, I think he signed for us as part of the deal that took Big Chiv to Spuds. Never saw a player fall over so much as dear old Frank :( !
Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 20:19 - Jul 1 with 1221 viewsLondonSaint76

Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 16:55 - Jul 1 by PatfromPoole

I went to that 5-1 game. A late collapse, if memory serves.

Not an uncommon trend over the years……

Indeed it was a late collapse - and quite a story accompanied it. After a goalless first half we were 3—1 down on 90 mins and let in the final two goals in injury time. The back story was Ian Wright was after the Golden Boot; he’d started the game a goal behind Line acre (as Mick Channon used to call him when on pundit duty) Wright had already scored a penalty but then our Gary scored at Man U so Wright was two behind with the sands of time running out. Fairytales can happen and in a hectic final two minutes Wright somehow scored twice to claim to aforementioned boot. Ironically his reward was to be left out of the Euro 92 Finals squad by Turnip Taylor, as The Sun called him. From memory England scored one goal in three qualifying games. To complete the Roy of the Rovers theme to the end of the game it was the old North Bank terrace’s last hurrah before redevelopment so the Arsenal fans got their dream ending a bit like Matt’s final send off for The Dell.

Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 09:08 - Jul 2 with 1102 viewsSaintNick

Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 14:23 - Jul 1 by LondonSaint76

I was at that bar after the game, it was called Dicks Bar I seem to remember

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 12:19 - Jul 2 with 1065 viewsChesham_Saint

1. Nathan Jones
2. Harry Redknapp
3. Stuart Gray

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 14:14 - Jul 2 with 1044 viewsLondonSaint76

Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 09:08 - Jul 2 by SaintNick

I was at that bar after the game, it was called Dicks Bar I seem to remember

Well remembered, yes it was called Dicks Bar. One of the London Saints stalwarts that helped organise that get together was a man I’m sure you know, Ray AKA Reggie who had (and indeed still has) a very similar hairstyle to Hurlock and bore more than a passing resemblance to him overall. Somewhere I have got a great picture of them together in the bar, pints in hands, toasting SFC - happy days….

Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 12:32 - Jul 3 with 901 viewsfranniesTache

1. Lee Todd (also the worst player i've ever seen play for saints)
2. Carillo
3. Gotsmanov
Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 22:02 - Jul 3 with 838 viewsSaintNick

Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 12:32 - Jul 3 by franniesTache

1. Lee Todd (also the worst player i've ever seen play for saints)
2. Carillo
3. Gotsmanov

David Jones did have some awful signings and lee Todd was one of them

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 22:35 - Jul 3 with 816 viewsPatfromPoole

Top 3 worst signings by Saints on 22:02 - Jul 3 by SaintNick

David Jones did have some awful signings and lee Todd was one of them

Ripley
Scott Marshall
Stig Johansen

All useless.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024