Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin 15:26 - Sep 27 with 4186 viewsSaintNick

Lets be serious in this one, who could we realistically get in and why do you think he would do any better, discuss

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 15:29 - Sep 27 with 3470 viewssaints__fan__73

Any manager with a decent track record in the 2nd tier could do a better job with the good (for the league) group of players we have. We are being hamstrung by having to play Martin's absurd type of football ill suited to this league.

Warnock is free from next week. I literally think even he could do better with what we have.

We can afford to pay far more than other teams in this league so it's not an issue to poach a manager if we want.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 15:36 - Sep 27 with 3450 viewsSaintNick

So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 15:29 - Sep 27 by saints__fan__73

Any manager with a decent track record in the 2nd tier could do a better job with the good (for the league) group of players we have. We are being hamstrung by having to play Martin's absurd type of football ill suited to this league.

Warnock is free from next week. I literally think even he could do better with what we have.

We can afford to pay far more than other teams in this league so it's not an issue to poach a manager if we want.

Saying "Any" manager is just being facetious. Neil Warnock will turn 75 in 2 months time, had actually not worked in 15 months before he joined Huddersfield and had officially retired after leaving Middlesbrough in November 2021.

He was persuaded to come out of retirement to keep Huddersfield up, he signed a one year deal in the summer, but chose to terminate that and leave this September.

He does not want the pressure anymore, Saints are not in a 3 month fire fighting position, we need someone to build us in the long term going forward.

So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 15:46 - Sep 27 with 3431 viewssaints__fan__73

So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 15:36 - Sep 27 by SaintNick

Saying "Any" manager is just being facetious. Neil Warnock will turn 75 in 2 months time, had actually not worked in 15 months before he joined Huddersfield and had officially retired after leaving Middlesbrough in November 2021.

He was persuaded to come out of retirement to keep Huddersfield up, he signed a one year deal in the summer, but chose to terminate that and leave this September.

He does not want the pressure anymore, Saints are not in a 3 month fire fighting position, we need someone to build us in the long term going forward.

Bollux as usual.

Warnock was on the radio saying he would love another Championship job.

We don't need long term planning. What is the normal tenure of a football manager? 18 months?

We need someone to get us out of this league.

Just like we did last time. Adkins got us promoted but was not up to the PL so we bought in a great manager who was (much to your distress)

So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 15:53 - Sep 27 with 3417 viewsoncebitterne

Got to be Scott Parker hasn't it?
Available as far as I know. Mass of experience in this league and what is it, two or three promotions with clubs with less potential. Whether he would work with our present Board is something else though.
So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 17:00 - Sep 27 with 3336 viewssaint22

So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 15:53 - Sep 27 by oncebitterne

Got to be Scott Parker hasn't it?
Available as far as I know. Mass of experience in this league and what is it, two or three promotions with clubs with less potential. Whether he would work with our present Board is something else though.

happy to see him here for sure
So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 17:08 - Sep 27 with 3327 viewsSaintNick

So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 15:46 - Sep 27 by saints__fan__73

Bollux as usual.

Warnock was on the radio saying he would love another Championship job.

We don't need long term planning. What is the normal tenure of a football manager? 18 months?

We need someone to get us out of this league.

Just like we did last time. Adkins got us promoted but was not up to the PL so we bought in a great manager who was (much to your distress)

Warnock left by mutual consent by the looks of it because Huddersfield didn't see him as getting them up, so you are suggesting that we are worse off than HUddersfield.

Talking of bollux, there is a lot talked about our season we have gone from promotion favourites to relegation certainties in the space of 4 games.

Its all down to Russell Martin who got a squad to within 3 points of the play offs last season.

I have no problem with people not liking him but the constant slagging of him without either taking into account of what he did last season or giving him a chance in this one is getting a bit boring

So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 17:15 - Sep 27 with 3309 viewskingslandstand1

So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 17:08 - Sep 27 by SaintNick

Warnock left by mutual consent by the looks of it because Huddersfield didn't see him as getting them up, so you are suggesting that we are worse off than HUddersfield.

Talking of bollux, there is a lot talked about our season we have gone from promotion favourites to relegation certainties in the space of 4 games.

Its all down to Russell Martin who got a squad to within 3 points of the play offs last season.

I have no problem with people not liking him but the constant slagging of him without either taking into account of what he did last season or giving him a chance in this one is getting a bit boring

What Warnock also said with Brazil and McCoist this morning was that the club actually told him they were looking for someone else while he was still there! So that could be read either way, but would he put his heart in to another managers job while taking a comment like that lightly
So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 17:20 - Sep 27 with 3301 viewsButty101

So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 17:08 - Sep 27 by SaintNick

Nick bait…. You are talking complete bollix Show me one thread where someone not taking the pee things we are relegation certainties. But it’s fact we haven’t won a game convincingly and most have been a last minute goal. Qpr should have beaten us so we are lucky that we have what points we do.

Since the transfer window closed and jwp, Tella left and Stephens got injured we haven’t picked a point up.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Login to get fewer ads

So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 19:15 - Sep 27 with 3171 viewsChesham_Saint

Potter. We represent a good challenge and if you say we couldn’t possibly attract his ilk then we really are in the shit.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 19:25 - Sep 27 with 3156 viewsSouthamptonfan

So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 19:15 - Sep 27 by Chesham_Saint

Potter. We represent a good challenge and if you say we couldn’t possibly attract his ilk then we really are in the shit.

Yes Potter is the obvious one. An experienced manager who has managed SUCCESSFULLY in the Championship and PL. An ex Saints player too. He would excite the fans and galvanise the club.

But, he probably wouldn't come here and our owners probably wouldn't want him because they are stupid and want a young up and coming manager for the future with a process.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2023 19:27]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 19:52 - Sep 27 with 3119 viewsIfonly

Regardless of what any of us think should happen, I bet RM won't be sacked this side of Xmas. Too much humble pie would have to be eaten by the likes of Ankersen and Wilcox and they've gone all-in on the possession game, so they've got few alternatives to RM.

We can only judge this season on what's happened since the end of the transfer window and what we've seen has been disastrous. Currently we look like relegation candidates. But I think you'd have to be the worst coach in the world to be relegated with this squad. Our players aren't PL standard, but they're better than most in the Championship. So, the most likely thing to happen is that RM learns on the job and turns our play from woeful into mediocre and that will be enough to save his skin. Personally I think he'll be here for at least 2 years but I can't say I'm looking forward to it.
So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 20:42 - Sep 27 with 3043 viewskingolaf

Quite frankly, anyone can see that Martin won’t last the season.

To prolong this is futile. As for his replacement, Scott Parker, Graham Potter (unlikely), Tony Mowbray, there are plenty out there who would do a better building job. I would even take Roy Keane over the present incumbent.
So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 20:57 - Sep 27 with 3025 viewssaint22

So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 20:42 - Sep 27 by kingolaf

To prolong this is futile. As for his replacement, Scott Parker, Graham Potter (unlikely), Tony Mowbray, there are plenty out there who would do a better building job. I would even take Roy Keane over the present incumbent.

What a way for Potter to rebuild his career, but would he take it on?

We are in the same boat as we were with the Welsh gimp, waiting on the inevitable, any businessman with any nous can see its better to cut your losses and start again

thats said not sure SR have any nous
So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 21:09 - Sep 27 with 2988 viewsWinchesterExile

So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 20:42 - Sep 27 by kingolaf

I’d take Roy Kinnear over the present incumbent (one for the kids there).
So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 00:19 - Sep 28 with 2845 viewssledger

So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 19:25 - Sep 27 by Southamptonfan

Yes Potter is the obvious one. An experienced manager who has managed SUCCESSFULLY in the Championship and PL. An ex Saints player too. He would excite the fans and galvanise the club.

But, he probably wouldn't come here and our owners probably wouldn't want him because they are stupid and want a young up and coming manager for the future with a process.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2023 19:27]

how is potter coming here when he is on 8 figures a year gardening leave for the next two years,lets get sensible here,we need a manager who can structure a side with a solid spine,there must be a few.
So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 07:44 - Sep 28 with 2746 viewsMattFinish

We should go balls out to get Pascal Jansen at AZ Alkmaar
So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 08:33 - Sep 28 with 2674 viewsCapt_Koons

Scott Parker.

Poll: If our new manager is a success, which club will he be managing in 2 years time?

So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 09:54 - Sep 28 with 2613 viewsMattFinish

So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 07:44 - Sep 28 by MattFinish

We should go balls out to get Pascal Jansen at AZ Alkmaar

61% win record over nearly 2 years
So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 10:25 - Sep 28 with 2587 viewssaint901

This is a bit of nonsense question because regardless of manager, if the owners want the club run in a particular way and for the team to be full of untried youngsters because that is how the business plan works, the manager is hamstrung.

No manager with ambition to build a PL team and compete in that league will some to us, if the plan is to buy cheap, play and sell high players with little or no thought about where we are in the pyramid or the thoughts of the fans.

Why would a decent manager with years ahead of him (her?) risk a period of poor results which will damage the prospects of managing at a higher level?

It has to be the case that the club owners and management need to commit to a plan to get into the PL again - a plan which is realistic and achievable within say a season or two. Once we have that, we can see who might be interested.

Unfortunately, from what is evident now, RM is the manager they want. For all I know the owners/management think that his style of play is good enough to get (and stay) promoted. Results to date don't bear that out and it is worrying that a team can go from unbeaten to a ling losing streak so quickly.

To me that indicates a problem which I hope is not the players losing confidence in the RM way of playing because if that's the case, he needs to take action - NOW.

if I was forced to pick a name though, it would be Potter. I think he would be uninterested but he would be my choice.
So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 11:05 - Sep 28 with 2559 viewssaints__fan__73

So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 10:25 - Sep 28 by saint901

This is a bit of nonsense question because regardless of manager, if the owners want the club run in a particular way and for the team to be full of untried youngsters because that is how the business plan works, the manager is hamstrung.

No manager with ambition to build a PL team and compete in that league will some to us, if the plan is to buy cheap, play and sell high players with little or no thought about where we are in the pyramid or the thoughts of the fans.

Why would a decent manager with years ahead of him (her?) risk a period of poor results which will damage the prospects of managing at a higher level?

It has to be the case that the club owners and management need to commit to a plan to get into the PL again - a plan which is realistic and achievable within say a season or two. Once we have that, we can see who might be interested.

Unfortunately, from what is evident now, RM is the manager they want. For all I know the owners/management think that his style of play is good enough to get (and stay) promoted. Results to date don't bear that out and it is worrying that a team can go from unbeaten to a ling losing streak so quickly.

To me that indicates a problem which I hope is not the players losing confidence in the RM way of playing because if that's the case, he needs to take action - NOW.

if I was forced to pick a name though, it would be Potter. I think he would be uninterested but he would be my choice.

Managers are a very mercenary bunch. They know it's likely that they will not be in the job for longer than 18 months so as long as a decent wage is offered they will take the job.

So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 11:18 - Sep 28 with 2541 viewsarfurdent

got a feeling that changing manager would be like throwing a cup of water onto the Great Fire of London

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 13:26 - Sep 28 with 2430 viewsSaintNick

So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 10:25 - Sep 28 by saint901

No one has ever said that the complete strategy is to just buy youngsters cheaply and sell them on. last season we bought a balance of players.

Caleta Car - 26
Joe Aribo 26
Mislav Orsic 29
James Bree 25
Tall Paul Onauchu 28

So it is a bit of a misconception that all Sport Republic buy are youngsters who they can sell at a profit, last season they seemed to want to strike a balance.

This summer on a permanent basis they bought in Ryan Manning who is 27, Ross Stewart who is also 27 plus Mason Holgate 26, Flynn Downes 24 & Ryan Fraser 29 on loan.

The only youngster on a permanent basis is Shea Charles 19 plus Taylor Harowwod Bellis on loan who although is only 21 has around 100 games under his belt already.

So the perception that all we buy is untried youngsters to sell them on is just plainly untrue.

Ironically it is the youngsters who have done better than the so called experienced players

So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 14:00 - Sep 28 with 2353 viewssaints__fan__73

So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 13:26 - Sep 28 by SaintNick

No one has ever said that the complete strategy is to just buy youngsters cheaply and sell them on. last season we bought a balance of players.

Caleta Car - 26
Joe Aribo 26
Mislav Orsic 29
James Bree 25
Tall Paul Onauchu 28

So it is a bit of a misconception that all Sport Republic buy are youngsters who they can sell at a profit, last season they seemed to want to strike a balance.

This summer on a permanent basis they bought in Ryan Manning who is 27, Ross Stewart who is also 27 plus Mason Holgate 26, Flynn Downes 24 & Ryan Fraser 29 on loan.

The only youngster on a permanent basis is Shea Charles 19 plus Taylor Harowwod Bellis on loan who although is only 21 has around 100 games under his belt already.

So the perception that all we buy is untried youngsters to sell them on is just plainly untrue.

Ironically it is the youngsters who have done better than the so called experienced players

All of those bar Aribo and DCC were January panic buys when we were pretty nailed on for relegation already.

The club messed up massively by spending a huge amount on Bazunu (when Sam Johnstone was out of contract) and on Mara.

We desperately needed experience at those two important positions and have been suffering from how little positive contribution both players have had over the past 2 seasons.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2023 14:00]

So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 14:22 - Sep 28 with 2319 viewssaint901

So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 13:26 - Sep 28 by SaintNick

Caleta Car - 26
Joe Aribo 26
Mislav Orsic 29
James Bree 25
Tall Paul Onauchu 28

And how many games have Car, Aribo, Orsic, Bree and Onauchi, got between them?

Perhaps "young" is too simplistic a description. Perhaps untested or those with potential to improve would have been a better description.

In any event players without pedigree at PL/EFL level in the hope of coaching them better to sell on.

Of those mentioned:

Manning - average and has cost us two goals at least this season
Stewart - not played - injured
Holgate - let go by a club that escaped relegation by a whisker and has not shown any class
Downes - not seen him play
Fraser - see Downes
So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 15:02 - Sep 28 with 2284 viewsChesham_Saint

So Who Do You Suggest If We Sacked Russell Martin on 00:19 - Sep 28 by sledger

how is potter coming here when he is on 8 figures a year gardening leave for the next two years,lets get sensible here,we need a manager who can structure a side with a solid spine,there must be a few.

How do you know the terms of Potter’s contract with Chelsea - has it been published?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024