Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What stats tell us.Why we underperform and are a yawn to watch, unlike Newcastle 10:07 - Oct 10 with 2000 viewsblambo

My heart sank when I heard that our new manager based his game on Possession.
Anyone with a brain knows that this equals boring and often unproductive football.
Take a look at the stats from Newcastle's 4-1 win over PSG last week...
The Toon had only 27% possession, got just ONE corner and only managed 1 more shot than PSG.
But they scored 4 goals and won the match easily.
RM's philosophy is fatally flawed and delivers minimal entertainment.
I am sad at the way things are, but it was toally predictable.
I simply won't waste my money on an afternoon of frustration and disappointment.

Why Oh Why didn't we take Eddie Howe when he was available?
[Post edited 10 Oct 2023 10:44]
What stats tell us... Why we underperform and are a yawn to watch... on 10:24 - Oct 10 with 1961 viewsarfurdent

I think the issues lie more with the food outlets on the Kingsland concourse.

I asked for three pints of cider to which the reply was " what do you mean by cider?"

QED

not for the first time

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

What stats tell us.Why we underperform and are a yawn to watch, unlike Newcastle on 11:29 - Oct 10 with 1900 viewsChesham_Saint

My heart sank the moment I heard who our manager was, full stop.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

What stats tell us.Why we underperform and are a yawn to watch, unlike Newcastle on 12:06 - Oct 10 with 1887 viewsSaintNick

They won with 27% possession because they can defend and up till recently we couldn't, but hopefully now we can a little bit more

Why didn't we take Eddie Howe ? Because we didn't have the multi billions to help him build a team

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

What stats tell us.Why we underperform and are a yawn to watch, unlike Newcastle on 13:59 - Oct 10 with 1837 viewsPatfromPoole

What stats tell us.Why we underperform and are a yawn to watch, unlike Newcastle on 12:06 - Oct 10 by SaintNick

They won with 27% possession because they can defend and up till recently we couldn't, but hopefully now we can a little bit more

Why didn't we take Eddie Howe ? Because we didn't have the multi billions to help him build a team

He was available for quite some time while Hassenhutl was losing the plot.

His stock was not high at the time, having left Boscombe.

Hardly in a position to demand a role with a big budget; he has not managed in that way in the past.

If you watched the Barcodes v PSG game, a sizeable chunk of the team were players he inherited.

He probably would have jumped at our role just over two years ago.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

What stats tell us.Why we underperform and are a yawn to watch, unlike Newcastle on 19:13 - Oct 10 with 1715 viewsJellybaby

With Saints record for destroying decent managers, it was a lucky escape for Eddie.

I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.

What stats tell us.Why we underperform and are a yawn to watch, unlike Newcastle on 19:40 - Oct 10 with 1691 viewsChesham_Saint

What stats tell us.Why we underperform and are a yawn to watch, unlike Newcastle on 19:13 - Oct 10 by Jellybaby

With Saints record for destroying decent managers, it was a lucky escape for Eddie.

Pochettino and Koeman seemed to do ok?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

What stats tell us.Why we underperform and are a yawn to watch, unlike Newcastle on 21:30 - Oct 10 with 1644 viewsSouthamptonfan

Against Leeds, we adapted and stopped the slow, ponderous passing and stormed into a three goal lead. As we feared, we have then gone back to the heavy possession based football. It actually just needs to be tweaked as we did against Leeds. The slow, ponderous, sideways passing is ineffective. We have to be quicker, more aggressive and more ruthless with the ball. This means not needing to have 80% possession. It means getting the ball up the pitch quicker, with less passing.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2023 21:34]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

What stats tell us.Why we underperform and are a yawn to watch, unlike Newcastle on 21:36 - Oct 10 with 1639 viewsBerber

What stats tell us.Why we underperform and are a yawn to watch, unlike Newcastle on 21:30 - Oct 10 by Southamptonfan

Against Leeds, we adapted and stopped the slow, ponderous passing and stormed into a three goal lead. As we feared, we have then gone back to the heavy possession based football. It actually just needs to be tweaked as we did against Leeds. The slow, ponderous, sideways passing is ineffective. We have to be quicker, more aggressive and more ruthless with the ball. This means not needing to have 80% possession. It means getting the ball up the pitch quicker, with less passing.

All this is obvious, but apparently, not to the coaching staff, and presumably not to the relevant members on the board. Some people think breaking things for fun is a good thing. Maybe now is the time to bust this nonsense?
Login to get fewer ads

What stats tell us.Why we underperform and are a yawn to watch, unlike Newcastle on 21:46 - Oct 10 with 1634 viewsSouthamptonfan

What stats tell us.Why we underperform and are a yawn to watch, unlike Newcastle on 21:36 - Oct 10 by Berber

All this is obvious, but apparently, not to the coaching staff, and presumably not to the relevant members on the board. Some people think breaking things for fun is a good thing. Maybe now is the time to bust this nonsense?

It is really difficult to understand how to coaching staff and yes as you say the board, can't see it. What are they seeing? I just don't understand it. If we pass backwards and sideways for the majority of the game, we aren't going to score. Are they prioritising subuteo style passing over winning games? They think we would rather watch the ball passes around the pitch than win games? I just don't understand it.

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

What stats tell us.Why we underperform and are a yawn to watch, unlike Newcastle on 08:18 - Oct 11 with 1514 viewsSonicBoom

The will be clever people telling you that we are setting traps all over the park and drawing out the opponents. Sooner or later they make a mistake (which apparently means someone gets frustrated and dives into a tackle) and then we break their lines and move quickly onto their back 4.
I've also seen people say that we made loads of chances against Rotherham so you can't blame the manager or the system if the players dont finish chances - and to a certain extent that might be true.

You could also say that Martin has added 2 or 300 additional passes to our games for no added benefit. Even if it works pass after pass isn't great to watch when the majority of those passes or 8 yards into the midfielder, and he passes it straight back first time without even checking to see if he can turn and move forwards.

i suppose if we hit a vein of form and win some games then we will all feel better, but it's never goig to be a style I like watching. I also despair of fans who blindly repeat the mantra "trust the process". Why? We are allowed to question the process aren't we?
What stats tell us.Why we underperform and are a yawn to watch, unlike Newcastle on 09:20 - Oct 11 with 1490 viewsblambo

What stats tell us.Why we underperform and are a yawn to watch, unlike Newcastle on 21:30 - Oct 10 by Southamptonfan

100% agree
What stats tell us.Why we underperform and are a yawn to watch, unlike Newcastle on 09:24 - Oct 11 with 1487 viewsblambo

What stats tell us.Why we underperform and are a yawn to watch, unlike Newcastle on 08:18 - Oct 11 by SonicBoom

The will be clever people telling you that we are setting traps all over the park and drawing out the opponents. Sooner or later they make a mistake (which apparently means someone gets frustrated and dives into a tackle) and then we break their lines and move quickly onto their back 4.
I've also seen people say that we made loads of chances against Rotherham so you can't blame the manager or the system if the players dont finish chances - and to a certain extent that might be true.

You could also say that Martin has added 2 or 300 additional passes to our games for no added benefit. Even if it works pass after pass isn't great to watch when the majority of those passes or 8 yards into the midfielder, and he passes it straight back first time without even checking to see if he can turn and move forwards.

i suppose if we hit a vein of form and win some games then we will all feel better, but it's never goig to be a style I like watching. I also despair of fans who blindly repeat the mantra "trust the process". Why? We are allowed to question the process aren't we?

Lack of clinical finishing is a key factor.
Sticking with the Newcastle vs PSG game...
2/3 of Newcastle's shots were ON TARGET.
HALF of these resulted in GOALS.
Or, to put it another way, they scored with 1 in 3 of their shots.
Our record is nowhere close to this.
What stats tell us.Why we underperform and are a yawn to watch, unlike Newcastle on 10:36 - Oct 11 with 1460 viewsIfonly

What stats tell us.Why we underperform and are a yawn to watch, unlike Newcastle on 09:24 - Oct 11 by blambo

Lack of clinical finishing is a key factor.
Sticking with the Newcastle vs PSG game...
2/3 of Newcastle's shots were ON TARGET.
HALF of these resulted in GOALS.
Or, to put it another way, they scored with 1 in 3 of their shots.
Our record is nowhere close to this.

There are many factors, but for me we didn't create anywhere near enough genuine goal scoring chances against Rotherham and that was the main problem. We had "attempts on goal" not real chances. If you're playing a top team, then clinical finishing of a half chance might be what you rely on to take the points. But against Rotherham, we should be creating enough chances to score 3 easily.

Possession is no indicator of real chances created. For us, possession means taking too long to get the ball near their goal - which is what happened in the second half. Meanwhile they have crowded their defence meaning it's impossible to find the space for a real chance unless you have a 6'6" forward to get on the end of a cross.

Clinical finishing always helps but the real problem is that slowly recycled possession is never going to generate loads of chances against well drilled defences unless you have the likes of De Bruyne and Foden in your side. It seems pretty obvious to me that we've looked more dangerous when RM has given up on his principles and allowed us to get the ball forward quicker.
What stats tell us.Why we underperform and are a yawn to watch, unlike Newcastle on 14:34 - Oct 12 with 1289 viewsblambo

What stats tell us.Why we underperform and are a yawn to watch, unlike Newcastle on 10:36 - Oct 11 by Ifonly

There are many factors, but for me we didn't create anywhere near enough genuine goal scoring chances against Rotherham and that was the main problem. We had "attempts on goal" not real chances. If you're playing a top team, then clinical finishing of a half chance might be what you rely on to take the points. But against Rotherham, we should be creating enough chances to score 3 easily.

Possession is no indicator of real chances created. For us, possession means taking too long to get the ball near their goal - which is what happened in the second half. Meanwhile they have crowded their defence meaning it's impossible to find the space for a real chance unless you have a 6'6" forward to get on the end of a cross.

Clinical finishing always helps but the real problem is that slowly recycled possession is never going to generate loads of chances against well drilled defences unless you have the likes of De Bruyne and Foden in your side. It seems pretty obvious to me that we've looked more dangerous when RM has given up on his principles and allowed us to get the ball forward quicker.

Watching Saints, faced with 11-men behind the ball in front of (because we were slow ponderous moving upfield) pump cross after cross into the box and expecting short-arsed forwards to win a header, let alone do anything (score?) with one, is just infuriating!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024