Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? 16:57 - Mar 15 with 2910 viewsfelly1

Russell Martin.. For not having a plan B?
Injuries... Flynn Downs, KWP, Fraser etc?
Poor performers in the team?
Recruitment?
Shoehorning?
Leeds and Leicester simply better than our team /squad.
If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 17:10 - Mar 15 with 2142 viewskernow

The fans.
If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 17:18 - Mar 15 with 2124 viewskingslandstand1

If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 17:10 - Mar 15 by kernow

The fans.

Is that because we fans (generally speaking) whinge and moan all the time implying players, management and Big Bosses read these wonderful tomes, or because they listen to the boos at the ground more than the cheers?
If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 17:41 - Mar 15 with 2109 viewsfelly1

If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 17:18 - Mar 15 by kingslandstand1

Is that because we fans (generally speaking) whinge and moan all the time implying players, management and Big Bosses read these wonderful tomes, or because they listen to the boos at the ground more than the cheers?

For me it will be recruitment.
We've brought in some decent players, particularly the loanees.
My issues are Charles, Mara and Baz cost over 30 million and only Baz is properly decent in some games but is too young, inconsistent and small?

The other two also have had their moments but at this level they should really shine.. The issue is they are perhaps too young to handle the pressure.

Ross Stewart.. Feel sorry for him but the club knew his track record with injuries.

Manning. He gets alot of stick, he's defensively suspect but he cost us zilch... But we should have brought in a better player and Manning should be the back up if Perraud clearly wasn't wanted or wanted to be here.
Larios was another likely expensive gamble that's not working out.
If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 18:37 - Mar 15 with 2041 viewssaint22

RM and recruitment
Again
If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 18:47 - Mar 15 with 2055 viewsPatfromPoole

The scar tissue from last season……..

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 19:01 - Mar 15 with 2036 viewsgrumpy

Needing a class striker and end up buying an injured one.
If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 19:16 - Mar 15 with 2016 viewsPatfromPoole

If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 17:41 - Mar 15 by felly1

For me it will be recruitment.
We've brought in some decent players, particularly the loanees.
My issues are Charles, Mara and Baz cost over 30 million and only Baz is properly decent in some games but is too young, inconsistent and small?

The other two also have had their moments but at this level they should really shine.. The issue is they are perhaps too young to handle the pressure.

Ross Stewart.. Feel sorry for him but the club knew his track record with injuries.

Manning. He gets alot of stick, he's defensively suspect but he cost us zilch... But we should have brought in a better player and Manning should be the back up if Perraud clearly wasn't wanted or wanted to be here.
Larios was another likely expensive gamble that's not working out.

Yes.

Success in football is all about good recruitment.

Both recruitment of the manager and players.

Jury is out for me on the manager. He is better than the last two, but that's a pretty low bar. Some of his team selections are reminiscent of some of the insanity of Hassenhutl's last two years.

On recruitment of players, the loan signings have all been very good with the exception of Holgate, and they have really saved our season.

The permanent signings have been a disaster, I'm afraid.

At least Manning was a free transfer, but he is nowhere near the standard of full-backs that Leicester, Leeds and Ipswich have. Compare him with Lief Davis at Ipswich (a product of the Leeds academy), absolutely leagues apart.

The season could yet end up being a success, but if it isn't, it's not hard to see why.

If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 19:30 - Mar 15 with 1990 viewssaintwizzler

Sports Republic.
Should of fúcked Hasenhüttl off immediately so he could begin his retirement early and appointed a decent manager.
Instead we got Jones and Selles who were completely out of their depth.

And the transfers in. Awful.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Login to get fewer ads

If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 19:45 - Mar 15 with 1985 viewsInTimeAddedOn

Tippy Tappy has cost us a few points as well as wearing down inferior teams to gain an ultimate advantage.
RM’s pig headed refusal to have a Plan B at times when we have needed one
Failing to play the best starting XI on more than one occasion
Baffling substitutions that have disrupted the team and downgraded the ongoing performance on more than one occasion, although on other occasions they have been spot on
The whole Ross Stewart situation / failing to get a loan replacement through the doors in January once it was obvious Stewart was still out of commission, Keiffer Moore would have been great. I know some will say we don’t need a striker but look at the number of times this season where people have said we have failed to fully capitalise on our dominance and finish off the opposition

To be fair, there have been plenty of positives as well as negatives, the demands of this Division are relentless and to guarantee promotion in recent seasons you have had to get pretty close to perfection, you can have one major blip a season and not much more than that if you want a top two finish.
If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 08:39 - Mar 16 with 1809 viewsCenturion

If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 19:30 - Mar 15 by saintwizzler

Sports Republic.
Should of fúcked Hasenhüttl off immediately so he could begin his retirement early and appointed a decent manager.
Instead we got Jones and Selles who were completely out of their depth.

And the transfers in. Awful.

If we go back that far, we should have kept Haenhuttl but SR didn't support him. It was as clear as day that during the summer of 22 we needed a top quality striker.
Sports Republic should have gone full out and been prepared to spend 40 million plus.
However they failed. Indecisive and complacent.
Ralph clearly lost the motivation and we began a rapid decline.
If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 08:42 - Mar 16 with 1806 viewsPatfromPoole

If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 08:39 - Mar 16 by Centurion

If we go back that far, we should have kept Haenhuttl but SR didn't support him. It was as clear as day that during the summer of 22 we needed a top quality striker.
Sports Republic should have gone full out and been prepared to spend 40 million plus.

I don’t know what you mean.

We signed Super Sekou.

If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 08:55 - Mar 16 with 1789 viewssaintwizzler

If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 08:39 - Mar 16 by Centurion

£40m. Thats 2 average PL class players then.

Hasenhüttl lost motivation a long time before that.
He was waiting to be sacked.

If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 08:56 - Mar 16 with 1782 viewssaintwizzler

If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 08:42 - Mar 16 by PatfromPoole

I don’t know what you mean.

We signed Super Sekou.

Zip it sunshine.

You weren’t at Hull THAT day…

If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 08:59 - Mar 16 with 1783 viewsfelly1

And a quality experienced keeper instead of a raw 20 year kid playing League 1 football. Utter madness. Welcome to the Championship.
If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 12:02 - Mar 16 with 1707 viewsSouthamptonfan

On reflection, totally agree with this. Ofcourse Ralph lost motivation. We couldn't score for toffee, the team wasn't good enough. He demanded a proper, experienced striker and they didn't deliver.

Look at the three promoted clubs this season. They are all coming straight back down by the looks of it. And that's because they arn't good enough - not because Kompany, Wilder and Edwards have suddenly become bad managers. They're losing motivation too, are they not? Nottingham Forest - are they any better with a change of manager? They arn't good enough, it's as simple as that.

In the PL, you need real quality - at least three 40 million plus quality players across the spine of the team. If we go back up, this team won't survive, unless we get in real quality.

So what will SR do? They will add a few 18m young players from the Belgium second division and we will come straight back down. And everyone will say RM lost his motivation.

So yes, Sport Republic are at fault.
[Post edited 16 Mar 12:06]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 12:03 - Mar 16 with 1706 viewsTripleNiemi

If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 19:01 - Mar 15 by grumpy

Who is this striker you talk of?

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 12:23 - Mar 16 with 1673 viewsTripleNiemi

If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 17:10 - Mar 15 by kernow

The fans.

Which ones - the Noddy’s or moaney old båstards like me?

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 16:04 - Mar 16 with 1574 viewsmushinexile

If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 19:01 - Mar 15 by grumpy

What he said x100.
If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 21:45 - Mar 16 with 1497 viewssaintmark1976

Losing four games on the trot early in the season has cost us. We’ve effectively been playing catch up ever since.

Also, some very bizarre team selections and in match substitutions have done us no favours whatsoever.
If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 23:43 - Mar 16 with 1446 views1885_SFC

If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 21:45 - Mar 16 by saintmark1976

Losing four games on the trot early in the season has cost us. We’ve effectively been playing catch up ever since.

Also, some very bizarre team selections and in match substitutions have done us no favours whatsoever.

I reckon the 3 recent defeats to Bristol City, Hull and Millwall - sandwiched in between that great win at WBA - was our undoing. If we'd have picked up 7 points from those 3 games, we'd be a single point behind Ipswich tonight with 2 games in hand.

I know football isn't like that, all ifs, buts and what might have been, but those 3 defeats are the ones that will ultimately cost us automatic promotion. So frustrating. It would have been fun watching Leeds & Ipswich battle it out at Wembley instead of us - assuming we even make it to the final.

Old School is Cool

If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 00:13 - Mar 17 with 1437 viewsRipleys_revenge

If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 12:02 - Mar 16 by Southamptonfan

On reflection, totally agree with this. Ofcourse Ralph lost motivation. We couldn't score for toffee, the team wasn't good enough. He demanded a proper, experienced striker and they didn't deliver.

Look at the three promoted clubs this season. They are all coming straight back down by the looks of it. And that's because they arn't good enough - not because Kompany, Wilder and Edwards have suddenly become bad managers. They're losing motivation too, are they not? Nottingham Forest - are they any better with a change of manager? They arn't good enough, it's as simple as that.

In the PL, you need real quality - at least three 40 million plus quality players across the spine of the team. If we go back up, this team won't survive, unless we get in real quality.

So what will SR do? They will add a few 18m young players from the Belgium second division and we will come straight back down. And everyone will say RM lost his motivation.

So yes, Sport Republic are at fault.
[Post edited 16 Mar 12:06]

Totally agree with this.

In my eyes, SR have demonstrated almost nothing to suggest they have a clue what they are doing (aside from recruiting Jason Wilcox, I genuinely have no idea how they pulled that one off). Recruitment has been supremely poor and has carried on the longer term trend of expensive duds from a few years ago. The impact of poor recruitment on the long term really can’t be understated.

What I find infuriating is the attitude that seems to go with it - I’m thinking specifically of rasmus ankersen here; it seems he arrived at just about the worst possible time for our club. A vulnerable, dangerously listing ship under gao was jumped on by rasmus and his catalogue of David Brent blue sky f@ck wit football innovations. At that point I feel like we needed someone with football experience to steady things before attempting this supposedly revolutionary rebuild.

I do get frustrated by Martinball sometimes and the squarepegging of Jack Stephens into our robust round hole defence has really annoyed me but overall I think he’s doing a good job. I think he’s also done well off the pitch in developing a team spirit that is evident to the fans and has made us enjoy watching our team again (for the most part…). That said there seems to be a continuation of certain aspects of play that we could do a lot better - a bit more intelligence at the back or freedom to go long once in a while for example. Less ideological attachment to the tippy tappy and more autonomy for the players to chip it over the top. What happened to THB’s cross field long passes for example? Or has that stopped since Stephens has come in? It’s also confusing because Martin speaks about giving the players freedom and letting them play on ‘feel’ but then when they step on the pitch they seem barred from actually doing that, knocking it around in their own 6 yard box despite being swarmed by the oppositions press.

Anyway, I’m enjoying the season overall just think a little less f@ckery could have yielded more success. Reminds me a lot of England crickets ideological attachment to bazball - quite close in the recent test series in India but ultimately pummeled 4-1 and absolutely annihilated in the final test. If we’re a bit more pragmatic at certain times, I still think we’re one of if not the dominant force in this division.

Roll on the play offs, gonna be absolutely immense!
If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 01:09 - Mar 17 with 1390 viewssaint22

If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 23:43 - Mar 16 by 1885_SFC

I reckon the 3 recent defeats to Bristol City, Hull and Millwall - sandwiched in between that great win at WBA - was our undoing. If we'd have picked up 7 points from those 3 games, we'd be a single point behind Ipswich tonight with 2 games in hand.

I know football isn't like that, all ifs, buts and what might have been, but those 3 defeats are the ones that will ultimately cost us automatic promotion. So frustrating. It would have been fun watching Leeds & Ipswich battle it out at Wembley instead of us - assuming we even make it to the final.

One hundred percent THIS
Add to that our porous defence and signing a Striker who can’t play and it’s just all been too
Much to ask
Dodgy selections and subs haven’t helped either
And Stephen’s returning
If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 11:12 - Mar 17 with 1255 viewssotonian

If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 01:09 - Mar 17 by saint22

One hundred percent THIS
Add to that our porous defence and signing a Striker who can’t play and it’s just all been too
Much to ask
Dodgy selections and subs haven’t helped either
And Stephen’s returning

Not sure if anyone needs blaming, it’s a freak year, the championship this season is nuts, most seasons 85 points is enough for auto promotion, (we got auto promotion with 86 pts in 2012) this year you may need 100 points! Next season the championship will be a lot weaker without 3 of Leicester Ipswich Leeds or us in it
If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 13:56 - Mar 17 with 1187 views1ASIN12

1) Sports Republic for getting us relegated in the 1st place.
2) The manager for picking the team and tactics in some games.
3) The players for individual costly errors.
4) Bad luck. We have been a little unlucky to be a promotion race where 4 teams are above the rest.

We fvcked up our automatic promotion chances by losing to Hull and Millwall in consecutive home games. This after working so hard to put us in with a chance.

The failure to keep clean sheets against Rotherham home, Huddersfield, Watford, Coventry, Norwich away and drawing those games have also played a part.
If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 10:28 - Mar 18 with 1073 viewsGRIM

If we end up in the Playoffs and blow it, Who's at fault? on 08:55 - Mar 16 by saintwizzler

£40m. Thats 2 average PL class players then.

Hasenhüttl lost motivation a long time before that.
He was waiting to be sacked.

Agreed, Ralph had had enough & was wanting out ,
Why would anyone in their right mind
walk away when there's still a couple of years left on their contract.
He manipulated the sacking & has enjoyed a stress free period on full pay.
Managers & players (& agents) have got it absolutely made.
I've said it so many times the incentive is to fail.
[Post edited 18 Mar 10:43]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024