Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
5 Things From Saturday 11:01 - Apr 29 with 2392 viewsSaintNick

1. Russell Martin does not have a clue what to do for the best

2. Those of us in the Kingsland north had the last 5 minutes of the game with a rock band on the stage behind the stand blaring out songs long before even the 90 minutes is up, this is what we can expect going forward.

3. Just a few weeks ago we had spirit in the fan base, now that is all gone, if we get to Wembley I truly expect that we will, have the embarrassment of blocks of unsold seats.

4. Saints fans arguing amongst themselves, it almost came to blows behind me.

5. I still think we can do this if we all get behind the team as we did in 1994 & 1999 when we rescued a dire situation on the last day

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

5 Things From Saturday on 11:21 - Apr 29 with 1960 viewsButty101

6) Whats the point of a lap of honour - the seasons not done.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

5 Things From Saturday on 11:27 - Apr 29 with 1950 viewskingolaf

So difficult to muster up any enthusiasm. The team have knocked that out of us and the manager has knocked it out of the team. He has lost the dressing room.
5 Things From Saturday on 11:37 - Apr 29 with 1928 viewsMytchettSaint

1. He's starting to resemble the final days of Ralphs tenure. Not knowing what to do to halt the slide.

2. Unfortunately it was raining so I didn't hang around to listen to the band. There's a crass comparison about bands playing on, whilst a doomed wet Southampton vessel foundered. I'm sorry to be the one to make it.

3. The change in spirit from the Watford game is quite extraordinary.

4. It's a shame the team don't display this much passion about the recent poor run of results.

5. It's the hope that will kill us!

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

5 Things From Saturday on 11:48 - Apr 29 with 1884 viewsPatfromPoole

1. This is why he gets paid the big bucks ultimately. If he isn’t up to it, we need to make a change.

2. Probably more entertaining than the game, I dare say.

3. I think we would sell out Wembley; not sure about the semi-final though.

4. This tends to happen in darker times.

5. The League is so unpredictable; we could go to Leeds and win, and it will kickstart some sorely needed optimism on and off the pitch.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

5 Things From Saturday on 11:48 - Apr 29 with 1887 viewssaint901

My 5 takeaways.

1. Why start with 4/5 bench players but no apparent change of shape/tactics/system to accommodate them?

2. Harwood-Bellis was - in my view - exposed for the goal but equally failed to get close enough to their striker and allowed him to shoot. Even then McCarthy should have stopped it.

3. Playing with Mara is worse than playing with 10 men. He gifts the ball to the opposition so it's more like 12 v 10. He's had his opportunities, failed to show anything and should now be moved on.

4. To arrive at the last home game with no idea who the first 11 is (not even the 11 who finished the game) is unforgivable.

5. The Stoke fans were pretty good and our support wilted perhaps for some of the reasons here, i.e. lack of fight in the team, lack of a Plan B from RM, having all of the ball and none of the shots,

6. I lost count (of this list) and the number of times forward players made their run and were ignored by the midfielder with the ball. That is either because the run was too early, the midfield player was too slow or -worst of all - the midfield player was under orders to keep the ball at all costs and not risk a pass that the opposition might intercept. The first two probably do account for a number of missed opportunities but I suspect the majority is the latter reason and if so that is poor coaching.
5 Things From Saturday on 11:49 - Apr 29 with 1882 viewskingslandstand1

5 Things From Saturday on 11:21 - Apr 29 by Butty101

6) Whats the point of a lap of honour - the seasons not done.

Did anyone actually stay behind for it? We were quite late in leaving the seating area and the ground was almost empty then (probably more Stoke than Saints fans inside) apart from youngsters at the front hoping for a shirt/autograpg I'd guess

And with that complete lack of fans inside the stadium, would that not be enough to give the players/manager/club a message about what we all think of this ending to the season
5 Things From Saturday on 11:54 - Apr 29 with 1870 viewsBuggalugs

Our style of slow build up play with very little gain is so tedious and boring, it saps the life out of everyone. Even when we were getting the results, long periods of the game had you falling asleep. It affects the crowd and the atmosphere suffers.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

5 Things From Saturday on 11:54 - Apr 29 with 1872 viewsNumber_58

1. He constantly talks about being 'brave'. Surely a genuinely brave thing to do would be to drop the players who've constantly failed to impress, and instead bring in Meghoma, SAA and Dibling.

2. It does make you wonder who thought it was a good idea to employ a band to play outside the ground at the end of a game when everyone just wants to troop off home or to the pub to be miserable. The club seem so out of touch with reality it's quite alarming.

3. In the main we're a fickle bunch. If we get through the play-off semis the interest will pick up just as quick as it dropped off. Anyway, if we play Leeds at Wembley I'm sure some of their 300 billion fans can fill the empty blocks.

4. It's not ideal, but at least they care.

5. Better get Le Tiss warmed up then...
[Post edited 29 Apr 12:00]
Login to get fewer ads

5 Things From Saturday on 11:56 - Apr 29 with 1864 viewsfranniesTache

5 Things From Saturday on 11:54 - Apr 29 by Buggalugs

Our style of slow build up play with very little gain is so tedious and boring, it saps the life out of everyone. Even when we were getting the results, long periods of the game had you falling asleep. It affects the crowd and the atmosphere suffers.

We are southampton, we'll bore you to death
5 Things From Saturday on 11:57 - Apr 29 with 1858 viewskingslandstand1

5 Things From Saturday on 11:48 - Apr 29 by saint901

My 5 takeaways.

1. Why start with 4/5 bench players but no apparent change of shape/tactics/system to accommodate them?

2. Harwood-Bellis was - in my view - exposed for the goal but equally failed to get close enough to their striker and allowed him to shoot. Even then McCarthy should have stopped it.

3. Playing with Mara is worse than playing with 10 men. He gifts the ball to the opposition so it's more like 12 v 10. He's had his opportunities, failed to show anything and should now be moved on.

4. To arrive at the last home game with no idea who the first 11 is (not even the 11 who finished the game) is unforgivable.

5. The Stoke fans were pretty good and our support wilted perhaps for some of the reasons here, i.e. lack of fight in the team, lack of a Plan B from RM, having all of the ball and none of the shots,

6. I lost count (of this list) and the number of times forward players made their run and were ignored by the midfielder with the ball. That is either because the run was too early, the midfield player was too slow or -worst of all - the midfield player was under orders to keep the ball at all costs and not risk a pass that the opposition might intercept. The first two probably do account for a number of missed opportunities but I suspect the majority is the latter reason and if so that is poor coaching.

Re your item 6, this happens frequently. So much so that I almost think it's one of RM's brainstorming moments to get various dummy runs to fool the opposition in to thinking we may actually pass forward at some time during the game!
5 Things From Saturday on 12:11 - Apr 29 with 1802 viewssaint22

5 Things From Saturday on 11:57 - Apr 29 by kingslandstand1

Re your item 6, this happens frequently. So much so that I almost think it's one of RM's brainstorming moments to get various dummy runs to fool the opposition in to thinking we may actually pass forward at some time during the game!

Agreed on 6
Fraser is always looking for a quick early ball and starts making a move and the invariably Jan stops and plays it sideways
We NEVER attack quickly haven’t for years, we are one of the only teams who barely make quick counter attacks
Our keepers very rarely release the ball quickly
Numerous times Edozie wanted it in the first half but AM held on to it before rolling it out to Jan

Wussell has no clue it’s been apparent for a long time. How we can go from 25 unbeaten to this is embarrassing
His subs again were too late and wrong

MacArthy actually kept the scoreline down to be fair BUT once again was beaten through his legs at the near post
5 Things From Saturday on 12:44 - Apr 29 with 1737 viewsIanSouthstander

4. It did come to blows outside after the match.

2 blokes going at it in the entrance to the South car park.

If only the players showed the same fight.
5 Things From Saturday on 12:48 - Apr 29 with 1732 viewsdarthvader

1 stoke Were brave were quicker stronger and wanted it way more than us .
2 ref ...at least 3 penalties missed in the game even if he had given one each the excitement would have pricked a bit , he bottled the big calls .

3 the band wtaf? Before ok i get it ...but after or before the game has ended?!

4 i did stay and watch the players wonder around the ground , their collective body language is completely shot . AA sounded like he just woke from a sunday nap after recieving his awards and mentioning Wembley. Almost like he was told to say it .

5. Such a comedown from the previous 2 home games the mood has gone from omg we might do this ...to why are we even bothering if the players aren't.

6 McCarthy...yes ... McCarthy made some saves ! To keep us from losing 4 or 5 nil

keep the faith coyr

5 Things From Saturday on 12:56 - Apr 29 with 1705 viewsBerber

5 Things From Saturday on 11:57 - Apr 29 by kingslandstand1

Point 4 sums it up. The “best” squad in the Championship, some decent loanees, a shambles ending. We will struggle to get any good players in next season, permanent or temporary. And there will be less money to go round no doubt.
5 Things From Saturday on 13:51 - Apr 29 with 1639 viewsdarthvader

5 Things From Saturday on 12:56 - Apr 29 by Berber

Point 4 sums it up. The “best” squad in the Championship, some decent loanees, a shambles ending. We will struggle to get any good players in next season, permanent or temporary. And there will be less money to go round no doubt.

I just hope we can have a fit Ross Stewart available. When match fit i reckon he will make a difference to our finishing , score in the playoffs..imagine that ....sigh

keep the faith coyr

5 Things From Saturday on 14:50 - Apr 29 with 1520 viewsstmichael

The spirit in the fan base and the arguing amongst ourselves is because at the most vital stage of the season some people have decided to turn on the manager even though we still have an unbelievable chance of getting promoted.
Absolutely pathetic and to be honest Nick you are more to blame than most because you have influence with what you write.

Poll: Do we bring back Bernard at the weekend or stick with Bree?

5 Things From Saturday on 15:19 - Apr 29 with 1468 viewsSaintNick

5 Things From Saturday on 14:50 - Apr 29 by stmichael

The spirit in the fan base and the arguing amongst ourselves is because at the most vital stage of the season some people have decided to turn on the manager even though we still have an unbelievable chance of getting promoted.
Absolutely pathetic and to be honest Nick you are more to blame than most because you have influence with what you write.

Mike you turned on the manager a month ago after one of our defeats and then a couple of days later in a complete turn around changed to supporting him.

I quote you from 16th April
"Hate this tippy tappy bollox"

From 13th April
"Big fan and defender of Jack but he should not be starting ahead of Janny B or THB..
Weak management"

29th March
"Ipswich find a way to win we find a way to not. Despite having more money and better players they are going up we are not. Mentally fragile"

You have constantly slagged off the players and the tactics but bizarrely you dont seem to blame the manager for the lack of fight or tactics.

A look back at what you have written shows that you change your mind more than you change your underpants. You never explain your opinion just have a headline rant.

I agree with you we are at a vital stage of the season, but it is difficult to get behind a manager when he is the person that has destroyed a lot of the good work he did earlier in the season.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

5 Things From Saturday on 16:03 - Apr 29 with 1390 viewsTripleNiemi

Totally against seeing high turnover rates for managers, but I am beginning to despise RM to the point that I wouldn’t be upset in the slightest if he fcuked off or was given the bullet.

As for the the younger Social Media brigade telling me I should trust the process and that this brand of football is great - you can all fcuk off too.

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

5 Things From Saturday on 17:59 - Apr 29 with 1275 viewsChesham_Saint

A cvnt is a cvnt (and I don't mean Nick!). I have been consistent in my contempt for Rylan from day 1.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

5 Things From Saturday on 18:09 - Apr 29 with 1251 viewsTripleNiemi

Harsh.

There are plenty of posters on this forum (and I include myself in this) that are often glass half empty however I don’t think you could ever level this at Nick. If anything I would say Nick always looks at the positives (ok, Cortese and Stevens aside ).

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

5 Things From Saturday on 18:26 - Apr 29 with 1219 viewsInTimeAddedOn

Think this is a bit unfair to Nick. Not for the first time in recent seasons, for a lot of people, a managerial appointment was somewhat underwhelming; at the time of the appointment there were plenty of detractors, the volume of negative noise increased as a result of our run of back to back September defeats v Sunderland / Leicester/ Ipswich / Boro - through all of this Nick pleaded with all of us on multiple occasions to give RM a chance. He rightly stated that RM had walked into a chaotic situation that couldn’t resolve itself quickly especially whilst the transfer window was still open. Even after that it would take time so the message to everyone was give RM a chance.
Easy to say in hindsight, I was one of those underwhelmed by the appointment and unconvinced that tippy tippy is the way to win promotion. But, I gave RM a chance.
For a while it looked like I was wrong to doubt him. That said, look at us now - unrecognisable…
I think a fair degree of the criticism is now justified as we have a group of players that should be capable of so much more - yes, we could still get promotion but if we do, without being uncharitable, I would contend the achievement would be despite RM not because of him.
5 Things From Saturday on 10:01 - Apr 30 with 894 viewssaint901

I'm sorry Mr StMichael but you are offside here.

I've never met Mr Nick but simply giving us the opportunity to comment and complain and praise is not "influence".

I'm not a user of social media but I suspect that there are forums (Facebook, Telegram, Twitter) where many fans vent their feelings and as such picking on this forum, which you have to be a member of to comment, is a little unfair. To then suggest that the facilitator is more to blame than others here who are no fans of RM, doubles down on that.

I do not like the way RM chooses to play. Whatever happens in the next month or so, I hope that next season if he is still with us, he looks hard at the weaknesses in his system and how a good side will exploit them and makes changes. That might be personnel or shape/tactics but something has to change.

Threads elsewhere are correct in that at the very top level, the game is about money. The owners of the top 6 (7?) care little except for dividends or in the case of the Middle Eastern owned clubs, reflected glory and prestige. That sort of mentality is filtering down the leagues and SR are a good example of wannabe's to that exclusive club.

Picking RM as manager was a move calculated to advance up that greasy pole.

And if the fans don't like the way we play, the overbearing ego of the manager, the changing of the away end in what can be described as a moment of madness, then tough on the fans.

To say that the criticism of the manager and all other aspects as above is out of line.
5 Things From Saturday on 10:14 - Apr 30 with 883 viewssaints__fan__73

You didn't need to write more after 'Russell Martin doesn't have a clue'

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

5 Things From Saturday on 14:03 - Apr 30 with 763 viewsstmichael

5 Things From Saturday on 15:19 - Apr 29 by SaintNick

Mike you turned on the manager a month ago after one of our defeats and then a couple of days later in a complete turn around changed to supporting him.

I quote you from 16th April
"Hate this tippy tappy bollox"

From 13th April
"Big fan and defender of Jack but he should not be starting ahead of Janny B or THB..
Weak management"

29th March
"Ipswich find a way to win we find a way to not. Despite having more money and better players they are going up we are not. Mentally fragile"

You have constantly slagged off the players and the tactics but bizarrely you dont seem to blame the manager for the lack of fight or tactics.

A look back at what you have written shows that you change your mind more than you change your underpants. You never explain your opinion just have a headline rant.

I agree with you we are at a vital stage of the season, but it is difficult to get behind a manager when he is the person that has destroyed a lot of the good work he did earlier in the season.

Constructive and justified criticism but I have never called for his head.
We cant keep on sacking managers.
Especially not now at this stage of the season.

Poll: Do we bring back Bernard at the weekend or stick with Bree?

5 Things From Saturday on 15:23 - Apr 30 with 705 viewskingolaf

5 Things From Saturday on 14:03 - Apr 30 by stmichael

Constructive and justified criticism but I have never called for his head.
We cant keep on sacking managers.
Especially not now at this stage of the season.

We can’t sack him now, but we should at the end of the season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024