Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Steve Moran 14:47 - Jul 25 with 2569 viewsfranniesTache

Some reports surfacing on social media that he's had a stroke, hopefully it's not anything too serious and he makes a quick recovery.

Aside from Stokes goal i'd say his against the Skates in '84 has to be the most iconic saints goal ever scored.
Steve Moran on 18:26 - Jul 25 with 2389 viewsA1079

He was a great goalscorer for us. He knew instinctively where the goal was. At the time he was one of my favourite players.
Steve Moran on 19:00 - Jul 25 with 2342 viewsgrumpy

[Post edited 25 Jul 19:37]
Steve Moran on 19:38 - Jul 25 with 2300 viewsgrumpy

What a goal that was.
Steve Moran on 19:56 - Jul 25 with 2262 viewsSaintNick

You are right both Bobby Stokes at Wembley & Steve Moran at Pompey are right up there in iconic goals, but the 1976 Wembley goal has to be tops.

Amongst other goals right up there are

Adam Armstrong V Leeds Wembley 2024
Shane Long Liverpool League cup semi 2017
Mick Channon Liverpool at the Dell 1980
Danny Wallace overhead kick Liverpool at the Dell 1984
Matt Le Tissier too many to mention, but none better than the final ever League goal at the Dell 2001

Thats just a few to start with, any other contenders

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Steve Moran on 20:13 - Jul 25 with 2245 viewsIanSouthstander

Gabbiadini at Swansea. 2018
Steve Moran on 21:27 - Jul 25 with 2172 viewspjt50

On topic, Steve Moran at Anfield was always one of my favourites. The first time I saw us win there:

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Steve Moran on 21:34 - Jul 25 with 2149 viewsfranniesTache

Steve Moran on 19:56 - Jul 25 by SaintNick

You are right both Bobby Stokes at Wembley & Steve Moran at Pompey are right up there in iconic goals, but the 1976 Wembley goal has to be tops.

Amongst other goals right up there are

Adam Armstrong V Leeds Wembley 2024
Shane Long Liverpool League cup semi 2017
Mick Channon Liverpool at the Dell 1980
Danny Wallace overhead kick Liverpool at the Dell 1984
Matt Le Tissier too many to mention, but none better than the final ever League goal at the Dell 2001

Thats just a few to start with, any other contenders

Benali’s only goal against Leicester is in there for me, plus VVVD against inter.

But there’s not many, for a reason, and Matt’s closing goal at the dell aside, none that come close to stokes or Moran
Steve Moran on 21:41 - Jul 25 with 2136 viewsChesham_Saint

I knew Steve when he was just breaking in to the team whilst at Prices school in Fareham. He was best mates with a friend of mine’s brother. He was a really nice guy back then and I have no reason to think he’s changed. Hope he recovers soon

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Login to get fewer ads

Steve Moran on 22:15 - Jul 25 with 2091 views1885_SFC

Moran was an absolute legend and I had the good fortune to meet him a few times back in the day.

When I was posted in 1981 to the Type 42 destroyer HMS Southampton while she was being built by Vospers in Woolston, Lawrie Mac and the Saints team paid a visit to the ship one day & I had a good chat to Lawrie and a few of the lads (I was in my element of course) - and especially remember the chat I had with Steve Moran. The Club had close links to its namesake warship of the same name at the time & I managed to blag a flashy felt club pennant that Lawrie had given to the skipper as well as a few free match tickets now & again. I used to send SFC an official HMS Southampton Xmas card every Christmas which contained a photo of the ship at sea (they differed every year). Reuben Agboola I remember was also another smashing lad who wanted to know about the ship, life onboard, where we were going once commissioned later that year, etc.

Funny really, cos one of the lads who paid a visit that day was Mark Whitlock who some of the older members of the forum will remember was a central defender for Saints back then. I went to school with him (Bridgemary, Gosport) and he was a total knob at school but a bloody good footballer, I'll give him that! I used to get a lot of sh1t at school with Gosport being ardent Pompey territory - especially back in the mid-1970's. Whitlock was a complete tool, along with his Pompey mates, and I couldn't believe that he'd signed for Saints the year we all left school.

I fondly remember travelling up to Nottingham Forest in the 3rd round of the FA Cup in 1984 where Steve Moran scored two cracking goals to win the game for us. That game has always stuck in my mind for some reason and set us up for THAT game at Fratton Park in the next round where Stevie Moran yet again famously did the business.

So if the sad reports of him having a stroke are true ; get well soon Stevie. You are, and always will be, a f@cking legend in my eyes mate.

Old School is Cool

Steve Moran on 23:52 - Jul 25 with 2002 viewsLondonSaint76

Steve Moran on 21:27 - Jul 25 by pjt50

On topic, Steve Moran at Anfield was always one of my favourites. The first time I saw us win there:

A day I will never forget - mainly due to Steve Moran. If you listen carefully near the end of the clip, after we have scored, at the point the commentator starts to say ‘as Steve Moran celebrates a goal in the 88th minute’ you can just about hear a Saints fan go ‘yee-haw’ above the noise of the general euphoria from the away corner of the Anfield Road end - that was me!
The day had started well; there used to be this old guy called Dennis, always in a tweed trench coat and hat, used to walk with a stick. He’d just made it up the steps to the away terrace when a cheeky scouse wit from the Kemlyn Road stand shouted at him ‘Hey Grandad, where have you parked your combine harvester’ to which Dennis replied ‘If you don’t shut up I’ll sell my garden shed a buy your street!’
On the train back to Euston a rugby union team got on at Runcorn that had just done the equivalent of Eastleigh beating a PL team in the FA Cup away from home. Between us and them we’d drunk the buffet car dry very quickly so they restocked it at Crewe with a copious amount of beer. I remember leaning out of the train door window when we stopped at Rugby and the buffet car was rocking from side to side as by now the Saints fans and rugby team had bonded rather well…
Crazy day out and from our part mainly thanks to SM who gave us the opportunity to celebrate a memorable victory.
Get well soon Steve, much loved and fondly remembered for not one but two of my top 5 iconic Saints goals ⚽️🙂
[Post edited 26 Jul 0:32]

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

Steve Moran on 00:06 - Jul 26 with 1995 viewsfranniesTache

Steve Moran on 23:52 - Jul 25 by LondonSaint76

A day I will never forget - mainly due to Steve Moran. If you listen carefully near the end of the clip, after we have scored, at the point the commentator starts to say ‘as Steve Moran celebrates a goal in the 88th minute’ you can just about hear a Saints fan go ‘yee-haw’ above the noise of the general euphoria from the away corner of the Anfield Road end - that was me!
The day had started well; there used to be this old guy called Dennis, always in a tweed trench coat and hat, used to walk with a stick. He’d just made it up the steps to the away terrace when a cheeky scouse wit from the Kemlyn Road stand shouted at him ‘Hey Grandad, where have you parked your combine harvester’ to which Dennis replied ‘If you don’t shut up I’ll sell my garden shed a buy your street!’
On the train back to Euston a rugby union team got on at Runcorn that had just done the equivalent of Eastleigh beating a PL team in the FA Cup away from home. Between us and them we’d drunk the buffet car dry very quickly so they restocked it at Crewe with a copious amount of beer. I remember leaning out of the train door window when we stopped at Rugby and the buffet car was rocking from side to side as by now the Saints fans and rugby team had bonded rather well…
Crazy day out and from our part mainly thanks to SM who gave us the opportunity to celebrate a memorable victory.
Get well soon Steve, much loved and fondly remembered for not one but two of my top 5 iconic Saints goals ⚽️🙂
[Post edited 26 Jul 0:32]

Love stories like this, and we all have our own, but this is what football is about, and why it’s the greatest sport in the world.

People like Moran will live far longer in the memories than the “stars” now, because of the bond that we all had back then.

Maybe it’s age but god I miss old football, yeah it could be sketchy but when it was good it was f*cking great
Steve Moran on 06:03 - Jul 26 with 1920 viewssmartjoe

On the subject of iconic goals scored for Saints, surely Hugh Fisher's last minute winner against Villa in the FA cup which paved the way to Wembley in 1976, is worth a mention.
Steve Moran on 08:32 - Jul 26 with 1818 views1teeminants

Steve Moran on 06:03 - Jul 26 by smartjoe

On the subject of iconic goals scored for Saints, surely Hugh Fisher's last minute winner against Villa in the FA cup which paved the way to Wembley in 1976, is worth a mention.

Yes agree about Hughie Fisher

For me personally other great goals which stand out for me which I saw live and created crazy scenes

Paul Gilchrist lovely drive into the net FA cup semi final 1976 v Palace Stamford Bridge

Terry Curran at the Dell semi final league cup 1979

Barry Horne last minute equaliser at the Dell v Bolton to rescue the cup tie , many fans including myself were already walking towards the exits then a massive rush back again . Great scenes

Matt Le Tiss last game at the Dell.

Top 3 imo

1.Stokes Wembley

2. Moran. Fratton

3. Long Anfield
[Post edited 26 Jul 8:36]

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Steve Moran on 09:58 - Jul 26 with 1714 viewssaintmark1976

Steve Moran on 19:00 - Jul 25 by grumpy

[Post edited 25 Jul 19:37]

Wonderful goal scoring by Steve but the man who made it possible was the late great David Armstrong.

An often underrated cultured footballer with the ability to play others into the game and score himself as well.

Steve Moran was scoring goals for fun at a very young age. A true example of the old expression “ If you are good enough you are old enough.

If he has in fact had a stroke I wish him a full and speedy recovery.

Poll: Should Russell Martin be sacked after saying he won’t compromise?

Steve Moran on 10:00 - Jul 26 with 1711 viewsIanSouthstander

Steve Moran on 06:03 - Jul 26 by smartjoe

Don't want to be a pedant Joe. But that Hughie Fisher goal was an equaliser, not a winner.
I remember because we were walking back to our car in the Top Rank car park and heard the roar.
Maybe thats why i never leave a game early any more.
Steve Moran on 10:23 - Jul 26 with 1680 viewsdirk_doone

Steve Moran on 21:41 - Jul 25 by Chesham_Saint

I knew Steve when he was just breaking in to the team whilst at Prices school in Fareham. He was best mates with a friend of mine’s brother. He was a really nice guy back then and I have no reason to think he’s changed. Hope he recovers soon

That's when I knew Steve. Like many others, I keep in touch via social media but the last time I spoke to him in person was when I walked with him and his girlfriend to a game at the Dell just before he broke into the first team and I moved abroad.

The good news is that he's out of hospital.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Steve Moran on 11:25 - Jul 26 with 1636 viewsGRIM

Steve Moran was a local Legend.
Picked up by Saints from the local Tyro Lge & what a player he turned out to be.
So sad to hear he's had a stroke we all wish him well.
Last I heard about him was that he was a long Distance lorry driver, you wouldn't get a modern day Prima Donna footballer driving a truck. (They all drive Rollers or Lambo's).
Sad that players from that era had get full time work after they had finished playing, football can be a very short career.
Others that I know of that took on full time jobs were.
David Armstrong = selling stationary
Hugh Fisher = selling booze
Many Andrewzeski = landscape gardening
Ruben Agboola = selling cars
Most of the others ended up running pubs.
I remember that the great Ron Davies had to raise money via a charity to get a hip replacement.
Alan Ball auctioned his World Cup winners medal to provide cash for his family.
How the game has changed & not for the better.
Can you think of any others ?.
Steve Moran on 16:28 - Jul 26 with 1506 views1teeminants

Steve Moran on 08:32 - Jul 26 by 1teeminants

Yes agree about Hughie Fisher

For me personally other great goals which stand out for me which I saw live and created crazy scenes

Paul Gilchrist lovely drive into the net FA cup semi final 1976 v Palace Stamford Bridge

Terry Curran at the Dell semi final league cup 1979

Barry Horne last minute equaliser at the Dell v Bolton to rescue the cup tie , many fans including myself were already walking towards the exits then a massive rush back again . Great scenes

Matt Le Tiss last game at the Dell.

Top 3 imo

1.Stokes Wembley

2. Moran. Fratton

3. Long Anfield
[Post edited 26 Jul 8:36]

How could I forget the Legend Tony Funnell scoring at Orient to virtually seal our promotion to the old first division.

What a night that was ! saints fans surged forward and the perimeter wall gave way right in front of me. Luckily no one was seriously hurt

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Steve Moran on 23:00 - Jul 26 with 1369 viewsChesham_Saint

Steve Moran on 11:25 - Jul 26 by GRIM

Picked up by Saints from the local Tyro Lge & what a player he turned out to be.
Last I heard about him was that he was a long Distance lorry driver, you wouldn't get a modern day Prima Donna footballer driving a truck. (They all drive Rollers or Lambo's).
Sad that players from that era had get full time work after they had finished playing, football can be a very short career.
I remember that the great Ron Davies had to raise money via a charity to get a hip replacement.

Mick Channon cleaning out stables..?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Steve Moran on 23:03 - Jul 26 with 1354 viewshedgeend61

Steve Moran on 11:25 - Jul 26 by GRIM

Mark Dennis - Postman
Steve Moran on 09:14 - Jul 27 with 1216 viewsSouthSeaSaint

Ex Saints players turning out to play Sunday football for fun eg
Ron Davies.... Wessex Hotel
Dennis Hollywood... Clump Inn
John Sydenham "
Ken Jones "
Stuart Williams "
Roger Fry "
Lew Chatterley "
Steve Moran on 09:19 - Jul 27 with 1214 viewsgrumpy

Steve Moran on 09:14 - Jul 27 by SouthSeaSaint

Ex Saints players turning out to play Sunday football for fun eg
Ron Davies.... Wessex Hotel
Dennis Hollywood... Clump Inn
John Sydenham "
Ken Jones "
Stuart Williams "
Roger Fry "
Lew Chatterley "

Stuart Williams!!!
The one I know of is 83.
Steve Moran on 09:43 - Jul 27 with 1194 viewsCenturion

Steve Moran on 09:58 - Jul 26 by saintmark1976

Wonderful goal scoring by Steve but the man who made it possible was the late great David Armstrong.

An often underrated cultured footballer with the ability to play others into the game and score himself as well.

Steve Moran was scoring goals for fun at a very young age. A true example of the old expression “ If you are good enough you are old enough.

If he has in fact had a stroke I wish him a full and speedy recovery.

David Armstrong 'bald eagle' was indeed anunsung hero.
Fantastic signing from Boro I believe.

I think he represented the spirit of the team.
They were good days (said with misty eyes). Also, good years for myself.
Steve Moran on 12:54 - Jul 27 with 1122 viewsGRIM

Steve Moran on 09:19 - Jul 27 by grumpy

Stuart Williams!!!
The one I know of is 83.

Kevin Moore played a few games for Otterbourne before he passed away.
Ted MacDougal played for a village team
I think it was Mottisfont or Michelmersh.
Steve Moran on 17:04 - Jul 27 with 1020 viewsSouthSeaSaint

Steve Moran on 09:19 - Jul 27 by grumpy

Stuart Williams!!!
The one I know of is 83.

Stuart Williams (Welsh International) played right back for Saints after signing from WBA at the same time as Dave Burnside (also WBA) and George Kirby (from Plymouth)
All three were instrumental in an upsurge in Saints form and the reached the FA Cup Semi Final in 1963.
About 10 years later Stuart turned out to play Sunday Football at the Clump Inn FC possibly because he may have been matey with Bert Croucher, who was a well known Speedway Rider/Manager, and ran the football club around that time.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024