Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pubs Set To Re open 09:45 - Jun 8 with 3164 viewsSaintNick

Apparently 22nd June for pubs with beer gardens and outdoor spaces

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Pubs Set To Re open on 09:48 - Jun 8 with 1440 viewsPatfromPoole

I struggle to see the appeal, to be honest.

How are they going to manage the toilets?

Ironically, you don’t get much outdoor space in most Wetherspoons, so will be interesting to see how the awful Tim Martin deals with this.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Pubs Set To Re open on 09:48 - Jun 8 with 1438 viewsSalisburySaint

Going to be bedlam
Pubs Set To Re open on 09:49 - Jun 8 with 1433 viewsHeisenberg

Pubs Set To Re open on 09:48 - Jun 8 by PatfromPoole

Ironically, you don’t get much outdoor space in most Wetherspoons, so will be interesting to see how the awful Tim Martin deals with this.

That's the issue. How do you get served and the toilets will have to be monitored. All it will take is one pissed up punter to start messing about and it could all kick off.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Pubs Set To Re open on 09:51 - Jun 8 with 1422 viewssaint22

I fail to see how this will work unless social distancing is completely dispensed with
Will patrons be allowed inside the pub to order and use the WC?
Table service only?
Access to gardens only not via pub?
Its completely unmanageable and given the poor service levels in this country anyway how long will it take to get served!?
Pubs Set To Re open on 09:55 - Jun 8 with 1383 viewsSadoldgit

If you are supposed to clean your own loo at home if a visitor uses it, how will that work in pubs? Will they have to deep clean the toilets after each visit?

I feel sorry for pubs and can’t wait to get back to my local, but under current rules I can’t see how this is going to work.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2020 10:18]
Pubs Set To Re open on 09:58 - Jun 8 with 1389 viewsBoris_

Desperate to get back to the local but not interested at all in sitting in pub gardens limited only to your own household.

As the furlough scheme is still open, I can't see why any pub would choose to open, as they will have to bring staff back but won't earn enough to cover their overheads/wage bill. They are better off keeping everyone on furlough and staying shut until allowed to open properly.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2020 10:00]

Poll: Claude Puel

Pubs Set To Re open on 10:01 - Jun 8 with 1382 viewsPatfromPoole

Pubs Set To Re open on 09:55 - Jun 8 by Sadoldgit

If you are supposed to clean your own loo at home if a visitor uses it, how will that work in pubs? Will they have to deep clean the toilets after each visit?

I feel sorry for pubs and can’t wait to get back to my local, but under current rules I can’t see how this is going to work.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2020 10:18]

Yeah, good point re furloughing.

They may just choose to staff it with minimal staffing; which would be even dodgier from a health & safety perspective.

Pubs Set To Re open on 10:15 - Jun 8 with 1342 viewssolent_toffee

I think I will stick to my own garden to be honest, much cheaper, better music and a distinct lack of muppets (myself excluded). I can’t see me going back into a pub until everything is back to relative normal, ie going the match, gigs etc.
Login to get fewer ads

Pubs Set To Re open on 10:18 - Jun 8 with 1333 viewskernow

The pub next door has a big garden but no outside toilets. The brewery are pressuring him to re-open asap but his rent and overheads will immediately return without the means to take enough from beer sales to cover it. Needless to say he is reluctant and in no hurry to deal with all the health, safety, social distancing enforcement and public liability hassle.
Pubs Set To Re open on 10:20 - Jun 8 with 1323 views1885_SFC

Slightly off topic - but this virus must have decimated the dogging scene. Rubbing alcohol gel on the old chap has gotta burn, surely?

Ouch.

Old School is Cool

Pubs Set To Re open on 10:39 - Jun 8 with 1296 viewsSalisburySaint

For Wetherspoons you’d have to go to places like Imperial at Exeter which has substantial garden

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186254-d1483652-Reviews-The_Imp
Pubs Set To Re open on 10:53 - Jun 8 with 1271 viewskernow

Pubs Set To Re open on 10:39 - Jun 8 by SalisburySaint

For Wetherspoons you’d have to go to places like Imperial at Exeter which has substantial garden

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186254-d1483652-Reviews-The_Imp

Wear a hard hat. Gulls like stukas.
Pubs Set To Re open on 11:53 - Jun 8 with 1194 viewsSadoldgit

Pubs Set To Re open on 10:18 - Jun 8 by kernow

The pub next door has a big garden but no outside toilets. The brewery are pressuring him to re-open asap but his rent and overheads will immediately return without the means to take enough from beer sales to cover it. Needless to say he is reluctant and in no hurry to deal with all the health, safety, social distancing enforcement and public liability hassle.

Our local has a new landlord who moved in during lockdown. He and his wife have never run a pub before and are really keen to get started, but the are really unsure about opening under these conditions. They have a big pub garden but obviously it’s use is weather dependent. The gents loos are tiny so social distancing isn’t possible and there would have to be a one at a time system. I don’t envy them having to make this decision. I have a feeling they will stay closed until lockdown relaxes further.
Pubs Set To Re open on 12:03 - Jun 8 with 1198 viewsSaintNick

Quite a few pubs in the New Forest have opened for takeaways, so you can go to the door or the "bar" a tble in front of the door and buy a pint in a plastic disposable glass and drink it in the car park.

So in many respects reopening beer gardens is the next logical step.

This thread has been all about the negatives and not the positives its been about the problem and not the solution.

Most pubs these days are usually the landlord and landlady plus part time staff who I don't think get furloughed as it's not their main employments so to speak, these pubs are desperate to get back and earn money.

I can't see what the problem is as long as it is a beer garden with restricted access and strict numbers.

The toilet situation is difficult but again not insurmountable, using the urinal would not need deep cleaning after every use, so only the cubicles an issue

If we are to ever get back to normal then we have to look at solutions for every little step along the way not obstacles.

Pubs Set To Re open on 12:12 - Jun 8 with 1185 viewsBoris_

Pubs Set To Re open on 12:03 - Jun 8 by SaintNick

Quite a few pubs in the New Forest have opened for takeaways, so you can go to the door or the "bar" a tble in front of the door and buy a pint in a plastic disposable glass and drink it in the car park.

This thread has been all about the negatives and not the positives its been about the problem and not the solution.

Most pubs these days are usually the landlord and landlady plus part time staff who I don't think get furloughed as it's not their main employments so to speak, these pubs are desperate to get back and earn money.

I can't see what the problem is as long as it is a beer garden with restricted access and strict numbers.

The toilet situation is difficult but again not insurmountable, using the urinal would not need deep cleaning after every use, so only the cubicles an issue

If we are to ever get back to normal then we have to look at solutions for every little step along the way not obstacles.

Not being negative, being realistic. Pubs will need to bring back a number of staff, more than usual to be able to offer table service. I don't think it's realistic.

People also won't be able to sit with other households.

'Most pubs these days are usually the landlord and landlady plus part time staff who I don't think get furloughed as it's not their main employments so to speak, these pubs are desperate to get back and earn money.'

What pubs do you drink in?! I think in Romsey the only one like that is the Tudor Rose.

Part-Time staff can be furloughed, even zero hour staff can be furloughed. I thought you were an IFA?
[Post edited 8 Jun 2020 12:12]

Pubs Set To Re open on 12:18 - Jun 8 with 1173 viewsPatfromPoole

Pubs Set To Re open on 12:12 - Jun 8 by Boris_

Not being negative, being realistic. Pubs will need to bring back a number of staff, more than usual to be able to offer table service. I don't think it's realistic.

'Most pubs these days are usually the landlord and landlady plus part time staff who I don't think get furloughed as it's not their main employments so to speak, these pubs are desperate to get back and earn money.'

What pubs do you drink in?! I think in Romsey the only one like that is the Tudor Rose.

Part-Time staff can be furloughed, even zero hour staff can be furloughed. I thought you were an IFA?

Zero hour staff can be furloughed.

You can furlough them and pay them based on 80% of the average they earned in the previous tax year if they were working for you in the last tax year.

Pubs Set To Re open on 12:23 - Jun 8 with 1164 viewsBoris_

Pubs Set To Re open on 12:18 - Jun 8 by PatfromPoole

Zero hour staff can be furloughed.

You can furlough them and pay them based on 80% of the average they earned in the previous tax year if they were working for you in the last tax year.

Yes, but it's done on their average monthly wage. So if they only worked for you 1 month prior to lockdown, they will get 80% of that each month they are furloughed.

Pubs Set To Re open on 12:29 - Jun 8 with 1161 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Pubs Set To Re open on 09:58 - Jun 8 by Boris_

Desperate to get back to the local but not interested at all in sitting in pub gardens limited only to your own household.

As the furlough scheme is still open, I can't see why any pub would choose to open, as they will have to bring staff back but won't earn enough to cover their overheads/wage bill. They are better off keeping everyone on furlough and staying shut until allowed to open properly.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2020 10:00]

This.

I didn't have much interest in pubs before anyway and only went once a month or so for the odd family Saturday lunch, but having not done that for months, we don't miss it.

But anyway, yes, the pubs round here have loads of staff and will definitely need more to cope with the serving and spacing, it won't benefit the pubs at all, I agree.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Pubs Set To Re open on 12:45 - Jun 8 with 1139 viewsSadoldgit

Pubs Set To Re open on 12:03 - Jun 8 by SaintNick

I agree with the need to find solutions Nick. The main problem that landlords face is remaining viable in the face of whatever solutions they come up with.
Pubs Set To Re open on 13:05 - Jun 8 with 1131 viewsBuggalugs

I was walking the dog past the Happy Cheese in Ashurst the other weekend and was surprised to see it open. It seemed ridiculous as the beer garden which has lots of tables nicely spread out was taped off and empty, but there was a large congregation of 30 or so punters on the path/road directly outside, observing no social distancing guidelines and blocking the entrance to anyone else.

If I'd have wanted a drink I'd of had to walk right through the middle of this throng then either join them, or all the others who were stood by their cars in the car park, tops off and tunes pumping out.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2020 13:06]

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Pubs Set To Re open on 13:24 - Jun 8 with 1110 viewsSaintNick

Pubs Set To Re open on 12:12 - Jun 8 by Boris_

I think it will work for a certain type of pub, most of the pubs I go in do not seem to have professional full time barstaff.

Will they have to offer table service, certainly that would be one option, but a proper queuing system at an outside bar would be just as effective, yes there is going to be an initial surge, but you can limit numbers and lets be honest I can remember the last time I went into a local pub when it was more than a third full except the odd one or two on a Friday or Saturday night or those that do music.

Pubs Set To Re open on 13:51 - Jun 8 with 1080 viewsBoris_

Pubs Set To Re open on 13:24 - Jun 8 by SaintNick

I think it will work for a certain type of pub, most of the pubs I go in do not seem to have professional full time barstaff.

Will they have to offer table service, certainly that would be one option, but a proper queuing system at an outside bar would be just as effective, yes there is going to be an initial surge, but you can limit numbers and lets be honest I can remember the last time I went into a local pub when it was more than a third full except the odd one or two on a Friday or Saturday night or those that do music.

Pretty much every pub I know has bar staff in, whether they are full-time or not is irrelevant, the staff are in from 11am - Midnight in shifts and the part-time workers are still furloughed or not being paid by the pub at the moment.

You would need to at least double the staff on to get the beers from the bar to tables, so double the normal cost per person in the pub. If it rains, the pub is empty but the staff still need paying.

If I owned a pub then I definitely wouldn't consider opening on 22nd.

Also, unless social distancing rules are relaxed, how many people do you think are going to be interested in going to a pub garden on their own/with their Mrs after being locked up with them for 3 months?

I go to the pub to get away from the Mrs. Unless I can go and see my mates and service is normal, I'd much rather meet up in one of our gardens and have a few beers.

Pubs Set To Re open on 14:26 - Jun 8 with 1059 viewsBison

Pubs Set To Re open on 13:05 - Jun 8 by Buggalugs

I was walking the dog past the Happy Cheese in Ashurst the other weekend and was surprised to see it open. It seemed ridiculous as the beer garden which has lots of tables nicely spread out was taped off and empty, but there was a large congregation of 30 or so punters on the path/road directly outside, observing no social distancing guidelines and blocking the entrance to anyone else.

If I'd have wanted a drink I'd of had to walk right through the middle of this throng then either join them, or all the others who were stood by their cars in the car park, tops off and tunes pumping out.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2020 13:06]

The Mrs has taken the kids there a few times , they are selling ice cream so not really being a pub just an ice cream parlour. Nice ice cream by the way but rather have a pint of stella.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Pubs Set To Re open on 15:08 - Jun 8 with 1041 viewskingolaf

Quite a bit of whingeing on this thread.
Pubs Set To Re open on 15:23 - Jun 8 with 1029 viewsBoris_

Pubs Set To Re open on 15:08 - Jun 8 by kingolaf

Quite a bit of whingeing on this thread.

Who is whinging?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024